If you had to choose between immortality and return by death, which would you choose?

If you had to choose between immortality and return by death, which would you choose?

Return by death seems much more useful

that's kinda hard
I guess with return by death I could live out my whole life and die then relive it again a different way. it'd be boring to live through the same time period so many times though.

However with immortality I could live from the beginning to the end and see all that the universe has to offer. But when it ends I'd be left alone in the void of nothingness and would have nothing but the confines of my mind to entertain me.
unless it's really true that the universe resets itself or civilization gets to the point where it can time travel

Immortality seem cool

Depends how active I am trying to be.
With my current lifestyle? Immortality, but only if eternal youth as well.
If I was a fictional character then rbd by all means.

If I can choose how much of my memories I retain and what time I can be born into yeah sure return by death ez

Do you have some kind of fix point to return to? Or will you always start at birth? That would be really shit

if you start at birth, school will be easy as shit

I doon#t want to go through all that shit over and over again though

Return by death seems cool because if something goes wrong and somebody you care about dies, you can die and start over to try and fix things. Of course, the catch is Being immortal, you'd be watching everybody else die around you at some point.

Was it rape?

you wouldn't need to,it's like the manga where the NEET was reborn a Shota.
You just use your past life knowledge to make it seem like you're a genius then you'll be allowed to skip grades and stuff.

Then dont. Run away in a lifetime. Go to jail in another. Accuse your parents of bad touch and find a new family. You can vary your life a lot.

i would choose immorality

>harem anime where the MC time loops and romances each heroine individually, one at a time

>in one loop you start talking full sentences as an infant to speed up things even more
>parents go crazy and think you are possesed
Man, this could be so much fun.

After several runs in life you could easily amass so much knowledge that you'd be a triple phd by 10, and have some few billions by 20

Could easily become the next Hitler and do things right for once and gas the kikes race war now for real.

Just let me die and sleep forever. Thank you.

>then the timelines close in upon each other and we see the results

return by death of course: in our world there are countless means of offing oneself painlessly, so it the ability could prove fairly useful if you wish to fix big mistakes.

If you don't have a horde of maniacs after you, living out your days peacefully should be easy enough.

But how is return by death savepoint determined? If I live until I die of old age and return 5 days its pretty useless desu.

immortality
only the weak require the mortal plane

i think its determined by a sense of accomplishment or maybe a future to save, so if you die without anything to live for you die for good.

This is not a lich thread. Abomination be gone

I cant imagine what constant rebirth would do to one's sanity, might just become a living god after amassing so much knowledge and experience

Return by death forces you to live the same general life over and over. It's literally just a worse version of immortality.

Immortality, on the other hand, lets you live through the entirety of time. Considering the laws of reality, time travel has, does, and will exist. Thus, even if the heat death of the universe results in eternal nothingness (worst case, it's more likely that the universe will implode and repeat), you can just time travel back to whenever and keep enjoying life.

Immortality is the objective correct choice.

You act like your brain will allow you to contain all that knowledge.

The brain is material, the mind is not. Memories and Knowledge is eternal.

>tfw you will never have enough power to fully banish me

>Memories and Knowledge is eternal.
t. Neuroscience pro

I just want to **** Ram

There are a few theories, mind you I have no Physics degree and am not working towards once, it's just a hobby of mine to sometimes read up on space stuff.

One is that we live in a multiverse. What this means is that outside our cosmic horizon (the "edge of the universe" where nothing can escape, similar to an event horizon), there is another universe with another cosmic horizon, and so on. Basically, multiple big bangs that created sections of existence that cannot interact with each other.

If this is true then we can assume that big bangs happen all the time in voids, so even after the universe ends there would eventually be another one. Mind you, you'll still have to wait a long time for intelligent life to pop up, and even longer for one you can communicate with (even if you have to learn the language from scratch). Although you may be able to cheat this by giving life the gift of language every time they pop up.

If memories are eternal, where do the images on the hard drive go when you delete them?

The brain has theoretically infinite capacity. Assuming not though, you would just forget all the retarded stuff that doesn't matter like what you ate for dinner 300 years ago, or who that girl's name was 30,000 years ago that you liked at the time.

Even if it is deleted into zeros and ones on a machine, it will always be deep within your subconciousness.

>Although you may be able to cheat this by giving life the gift of language every time they pop up.
Pic related.

And how are memories stored in the subconscious? Life hack: Neurons, their accompanying shapes and varying connections store memories

>The brain has theoretically infinite capacity.
lolno
learn basic information theory, idiot

>theoretical
Name me one person in the history of forever that reached a limit to how much they could remember.

Immortality so I can research alchemy in that fantasy world eventually turning myself into a little girl following Cagliostro's footsteps

If you're immortal you can still be imprisoned or even tortured for eternity.

With the respawn, assuming nobody knows your secret, you could kill yourself as an out to any situation.

It's easier to say than do, literally learn to use the power of the imagination until you can see it very vividly instead of it being cloudy in your mind. Next you want to build a "wonderland", for example a library based on your memories.

theoretical is exactly where we know that it does not have infinite capacity

you literally cannot memorize the structure of your own brain plus extra information

you cannot contain X+N information in X space where X and N are both positive

>You can be imprisoned or tortured for eternity
Anything that could do that would eventually die or collapse.

You have 100 billion neurons. You're telling me that
100,000,000,000! isn't going to give you enough neural connective possibilities for eternity? Again, you can forget useless stuff or stuff that happened a billion years ago that you don't care about anymore.

>absence of proofs is proof of absence!

We have little data about that because we have little data about how information is stored to begin with, yet I'm sure someone tested stuff on people with mental deficits.

Immortality, imagine being reborn and you've already watched all the animes

>You're telling me that 100,000,000,000! isn't going to give you enough neural connective possibilities for eternity?

Yes, I am. For example, you can't memorize your own brain structure inside your own brain, plus any other information. You're an idiot.

I try to do that, but it keeps showing up in the news so it's not funny to do anymore.

Yes, the human visual cortex takes up a huge portion of real estate. It receives the most data and does the most work, after all. Yes, you can even put it to work using memory techniques. It's still brain meat doing brain meat stuff in the end.

Immortality with no hesitation.

Return by death, cause then you could fix any minor mistake you make by just killing yourself.

Why the FUCK would you need to?

AGAIN
FOR THE LAST TIME
SINCE YOU APPARENTLY LACK THE INTELLIGENCE TO GET THIS THROUGH YOUR THICK FUCKING SKULL:

YOU CAN FORGET THINGS.
ONCE YOU GET CLOSE TO YOUR "LIMIT" YOU CAN FORGET USELESS KNOWLEDGE OR OUTDATED INFORMATION OR OBSOLETE INFORMATION.

YOU WILL NEVER FUCKING RUN OUT OF SPACE YOU MORON. FUCK. THIS ISN'T EVEN GETTING INTO EVOLUTION AND ADAPTATION THAT WOULD EVENTUALLY HAPPEN SINCE YOU ARE FUCKING IMMORTAL.

All you materialists piss me off, what the fuck did i just fucking say?

I would rather have return by death, because immortality absolutely blows in the end.

>Why the FUCK would you need to?
You said infinite. It's not infinite.

It's that simple. You don't have to get so pissed off when you say something wrong. What the fuck is wrong with your personality?

You can't choose what to forget you dingus. You'll eventually just start overwriting your own neural pathways with new memories/experiences/skills. You could end up forgetting important shit by accident.

>the brain would go into a kernel panic instead of choosing to forget things it doesn't need anymore
lol
fucking engineering majors think they know psychology.

>materialists
ohboyherewegoagain

Even if the brain is literally infinite in capacity, you can only access information that you can count. The brain is only capable of accessing a countably infinite amount of information.

There are an uncountable number of irrational numbers. Therefore you can't access all irrational numbers, even if you can place them inside your memory through uncountable means.

Even if you wrongly assume that the brain can store infinite information, infinite is not enough. You need to be able to access uncountably infinite pieces of information to know All Knowledge.

>psychology
It's neurology you fucking idiot. Psychology just deals with how human behavior works, has nothing to do with how your brain works.

Is this shit good? It being a LN tells me fuck no but it gets a lot of hype which most often in unwarranted. The idea of the mc dying constantly is funny but from the 1 ep I watched he was being whiny af

So does return by death. Both suck if there's no break condition.

If people can forget their keys on accident, what's to say they can't choose to?

Yeah but at least I couldn't be eternally in pain on a pike.

>what's to say they can't choose to?
the unconscious part of your thought processes?

Eh after a few years on a pike you'd probably zone it out.

Jesus fucking Christ, forgetting your keys isn't actually forgetting. You're brain is just too distracted with other processes that it stops working on other things. Your memories are neural pathways that are etched into your brain, the more you do something or memorize something the stronger the memory becomes. It's like walking through a grassy field, if you walk the same path enough times, the grass will stop growing in those places and create a path.

There is a reason why there are two states of the mind, conciousness and unconciousness/subconciousness. You are trying to completely avoid the subconcious as if you cant access the subconcious which you absolutely can, it just requires alot of time and effort to achieve. Though your instant gratification monkey can't possibly understand that.

That also applies to normal life.

Well I was more referring to fixing the mistakes for yourself, not for others.

I would say immortality.
As long as theirs interesting things in this world, I think i could keep going

Are you for real? Have you never learned a single thing about how the brain functions?

>immortal
>captured and tortured by magical NEGRO forever.
Nothanks.jpg.png

Is the immortality the kind where you're invincible to everything and you no longer need to eat or drink with eternal youth thrown in?

Because yes if so.

>Not hanging on for years
>Not beating the pain
>Not using the pike to pike your enemies as you search for the man who piked you

Immortality.

What happens when you die of old age using Return by Death? You live an infinite loop of the last day of your life?

My preferred type of immortality is being reborn into a new body after death, but retaining your memories from previous lives.

Yeah but what if you were buried alive?

It would get pretty boring.

is there a manga/anime/ln where a character has this power to be reborn with his previous life memories? Im pretty out of the loop with current airing stuff.

with enough time you could dig yourself out probably.

There is no probably user, the world is gradually building on top of itself.

It's only a matter of time before you start feeling the pressure from everything above.

*wink*
theres this manga where a fat anime weeb otaku wishes his life was better, gets run over by a truck and gets reborn into your typical fantasy life

This. If you're only six feet under and don't need to breathe you'll get out eventually. Now, being encased in concrete would be something different

Return by death. Immortality isn't much good if you're trapped under concrete for the next 100 years, see what happened to the baddie in Ninja Scroll.

What if you were painfully killed at 00:00AM and you had Return By death?
You'd be caught in a time loop of your own painful death with no way to escape.

I'm pretty sure you could dig yourself out faster than geological strata can pile up.

I mean in the end it depends what kind of immortality you have. But I'm sure you could devise countermeasures for the worst case scenario in any case.

This, I would have school girls from the present and future (assuming I keep my youth)

Immortality is a curse. Besides, what good is eternal life if you don't have eternal youth? Have fun shitting yourself at 1,000 years old because you're unable to move and all you want to do is finally die

Not gonna lie, thats pretty fuking lame; in that case what a great unexplored concept, weird its not being used as the main plot of a series, could even be great as the backstory of the main antagonist of an epic.

>Immortality is a curse.
That's just mortal sour grapes.

Who says you don't have eternal youth? You can come up with monkeys paw shit for either ability.

let us clear up what immortality is.

Users possess an infinite life span, and can shrug off virtually any kind of physical damage. Some users are the defensive type, simply preventing such damage from appearing (invulnerability/protection), while others are the regenerative type, surviving and quickly recovering from anything you throw at them.

So by default, if you are immortal you ALREADY HAVE ETERNAL YOUTH. invicibility or regen abilities may apply

>Immortality
Does it come with eternal youth and a get out of fucked situation card? I don't want to spend years drowning at the bottom of the sea under a rock or something. I think people saying its a curse are more likely right, as if you look at anyone over age 70 and tell me they are still having fun I think you're mad. There's the issue of the mind losing potency but lets just set that the fuck aside.
>Return by Death
Its a shit version of savestates from emulators. You don't choose the save points so its shit.
If you could, you could just save the instant you get it then just reload when you fuck up too hard.
I'm not sure how dying multiple times is going to keep you sane though. More than likely, I think you'll just get so afraid of dying that you'll just not use the ability at all.

>Antagonist is an evil old guy who thinks by gaining immortality he can rule the world from the shadows and form it in his old image
>just ends up aging infinitely and suffering more with each passing year

Thats pretty imbalanced though compared to Return by Death then. Because you are getting basically a body that cannot age or take damage versus a body that can take any amount of damage but you rewind time to a certain point.
Return by Death lets you go back in time INFINITELY, while Immortality lets you go forward infinitely.
Either way you can't get off the train. Thats kind of terrifying.

Look up Tithonius.

That depends. Baccano has the perfect immortality pretty much. You are immortal until you decide you've had enough and have someone else eat you, and they take all of your experience and knowledge.

Of course barring an insane old man eating your friends, but as long as you keep the club small you'd probably be alright.

Both have an exit though, in a way. Eventually your brain would fill up and you'd become an unthinking vegetable.

Immortality has being done to boredom m8, im talking about being reincarnated into another human body while retaining all his memories, creating an effectually inmortal villan who can only been contained in a cell until he dies, and the you have to search around the entire globe to jail it again, but you have no idea how de fuck hes going to look like.

if the setting allows for it trap him in a single point in time, or maybe some singularity like a black hole.

Then I'll take immortality.

That has been done, and they have been killed.

>What the parts of the brain do
what is biological psychology

>How things like memory and learning work in regards to the structure of the brain
what is cognitive psychology

I'll take The Brain for $500, Alex.

You're an idiot.

So, what about choosing return by death and eventually surviving until your natural death?
You die of natural causes but the last save point was just a few days ago and you can't do anything about the causes that led to your death. Rinse and repeat. Lie for a few days in a bed in some old retirement home, die and repeat.

No example no argument.
He need to be hunted down by some sort of order which only purpose is to keep him in check, the story could easy become something like JoJo with a lot of generations passing down the torch, could be cool to see, the viillan could sudoku himself at the last possible moment to screw them over.