Gerrymandering on Steroids: State secession and partitions

Gerrymandering is a technique used by both parties that involves reshaping congressional districts to game them for one party or another. Taking this a step further, let's discuss states that are prime targets for gerrymandering writ large: forming new states out of the existing ones with the expressed purpose of chipping away at the Democrat party's ability to win on a national level.

what's most amazing though is that most liberals will openly tell you with a straight face that gerrymandering "is a republican thing".

also OP to answer your question, even though i think it's sort of an impractical discussion, redrawing new england as one state would effectively eliminate a few red EC votes, potentially, from maine or new hampshire, cuz the area as a whole would always go democrat.

Why don't you stupid fucking yanks just put an independent commission in charge of determining electorates according to population rules?

Breaking NYC off the from the rest state could pay real dividends. Most of the electoral votes would still go with NYC, but it would no longer be a near 30 vote lock for the Democrat party.

the lefties are brainwashed and stupid, what else is new?

This one too.

Right, but this discussion is more about possible secessionist fracture points and resisting the Democrats ability to absorb conservative areas. If anything, I would suggest trying to splinter Maine into two parts in order to artificially boost the electoral vote count to the minimum of 3.

that map is false. Albany, Rochester, Syrcause, Binghamton, Buffalo, and Plattsburgh are all liberal as fuck.

i honestly don't think that the democrats are going to redraw state lines any time soon. but whatever man. carry on and half fun with your discussion.

Yes, that one in particular would be a major blow. Another example of isolating the major cities would be the old "Lincoln" proposal, that divides Washington and Oregon at the Cascade mountain range and unifies the eastern sections. Some proposals include a large swath of Idaho, but given electoral trends that doesn't seem very urgent for the purposes of this thread.

They don't have much choice in the matter, not on a national level. If counties gather the necessary support to secede, they can put it to a vote.

The map is from an old 1861 proposal to create the city-state of Tri-Insula. It's not meant to be an accurate reflection of the way individual counties in New York outside of the immediate metro area vote. I should have been more clear about that.

west washingtonian here
that would legit kill us. pls no

>that would legit kill us.
That's the point.

District 4 in chicago...can you believe it? Gerrymandering at its finest.

Kinda like pic related but minus the Idaho part I guess

Yes, although in that particular proposal Idaho might be inclined to go along with it. When it actually did come up originally, Idaho wasn't interested because the panhandle region would take significant wealth out of their state if it left. Leaving Idaho whole, however, would ensure more conservative representation in the Senate. Kind of the reverse of what the "Six Californias" proposal is designed to accomplish.

A supersized Idaho would be fantastic for the country, but a separate "State of Lincoln" would probably be even better because then we'd not only have more conservative representatives, but two more conservative Senators, and more potential votes if an Article V Convention of States is ever called.

>even better because then we'd not only have more conservative representatives, but two more conservative Senators, and more potential votes if an Article V Convention of States is ever called.
Yes. Same deal for the old proposals for the state of "Superior". I just don't know how much interest there remains in that idea in general, not even considering the recent electoral results in Michigan and Wisconsin.

I imagine that this will be a reality is the not-so-far future. Simply put at some time in the future the feds are going to realize they're in over their heads. This will probably happen with healthcare and SS first and cascade down to the rest of the country first. In total it will leave the states a lot more power to do whatever they want without the interference of the feds, but we'll all still pretend we're one nation united and all.

I like Superior mostly for the natural borders aesthetic desu, although at a strictly practical level the same "more conservative representation" applies just as much.

Unfortunately I can't say how much Superior activism is going on, if any, but I do know that on my state's southern border western Maryland wants to secede from the rest of that shithole state. That would be fantastic for reasons already discussed.

Speaking of Maryland, if we were to conglomerate Delaware with the Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia, we'd have another conservative state cut out on the East Coast. Maryland's eastern shore was much redder in the election that the rest of the state, and Delaware only went blue because of Wilmington, so adding ES could be enough to turn it around next election.

Then Maryland proper would be left as a rump state, reduced essentially to Baltimore and the DC suburbs, with a miniscule number of representatives. The winning wouldn't stop.

The Mid-Atlantic area in general is probably one of the better targets in terms of pure collateral damage to Democrat electoral ambitions. Everyone always talks about the huge vote totals from California and the potential looming disaster of Texas, but the real safety margin for the Democrats has been their near-clean sweep [and completely clean sweep the last few cycles] of the Mid-Atlantic that's been going on for quite a while now.

>try to form an ''''''independent''''''' commission
>politicians, lobbyists, donors, and judges from both parties fight viciously to put 'their guys' on the commission

Even IF the resulting clusterfuck of a committee isn't rejected and deemed illegitimate out of hand by one, or both major parties - gridlock, partisanship, and State governments would make any kind of ackshual changes impossible.