Alright, so, from the mastermind behind Gundam himself;

Alright, so, from the mastermind behind Gundam himself;
>So I was very upset when I saw Evangelion, because it was apparent to me that the people who made it weren't thinking at all about making fun for or gaining the sympathy of the audience. Instead they tried to convince the audience to admit that everybody is sick, practically in the middle of a nervous breakdown, all the time. I don't think you should show things like that to everybody. It's not entertainment for the masses--it's much more interested in admitting that we're all depressed nervous wrecks, I thought. It was a work that told people it was okay to be depressed, and it accepted the psychological state that said if you don't like the way the world works, then it's okay to just pick up a gun and attack someone. I don't think that's a real work of art. When people see that, they begin to realize they are the same way. I think that we should try to show people how to live healthier, fuller lives, to foster their identity as a part of their community, and to encourage them to work happily until they die. I can't accept any work that doesn't say that.

Why do you still cling to your shitty pleb shows even after based Tomino has Blown you The Fuck Out, Gainaxfags? Even your go to "masterpiece" Cuckbuster has been destroyed on /m/ multiple times. Watch some good anime like Gundam 0079, Gundam Zeta, Gundam ZZ, or Patlabor instead of this pseudo intellectual edgy Deviantart shit. I mean, the Evas aren't even robots, just shitty ultra man knockoffs. Go back to school, go back to Sup Forums, I don't care, but either you get some good taste or you get BRIGHTSLAPPED out with you sissy bullshit; /m/ is for /m/EN.

Did I mention both NGE and Gunbuster were referenced in Tumblr universe? Really puts things in perspective, huh?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o4UQntM4Zjw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>It was a work that told people it was okay to be depressed, and it accepted the psychological state that said if you don't like the way the world works, then it's okay to just pick up a gun and attack someone

lmao this nigga literally missed the whole point.
>and to encourage them to work happily until they die.

Sauce or this is copypasta

You're even stupider than Tomino for not understanding Eva at the most basic level if you find that agreeable.

Tomino actually said that.

Tomino is autistic, everyone knows this. He can pull amazing nonsense from out of nowhere every now and then just don't expect him to understand human feelings.

How hard do you think Anno's heart broke when he realized Tomino hated him and his life's work?

Tomino really reacts badly to anything he perceives as "depressing" after he beat his. I think the reason he's so anti-edge now is to make up for his works from the 70s-early 90s out of a sense of shame. It's why basically everything he's touched since Turn A has been genki as fuck

Come on.

>the senpai notices you but he hates you

>gunbuster
>movie

I feel pity for anyone who picked up the 0079 movies by chance and thought they'd look anywhere near the boxart.

That's pretty rich, coming from Yoshiyuki "Child Killer" Tomino himself.

Is this false-flagging on behalf of /m/

That's about all it could be. Even if he just never finished an episode, Evangelion wasn't for a minute kind to characters for being avoidant, delusional, or self-destructive.

This probably has something to with why Tomino hates Victory so much as it was largely influenced by his depression.

Can't wait for the Reconguista movie so we can put it under Kino

It's been so long since I've seen that quote that I didn't remember it was real at first.

You literally can't defend g reco

Eva was never good

Goddammit /m/, I come to Sup Forums sometimes to escape your constant bullshit.

But one of the lessons of Eva was to avoid ending up like the characters in it.

G reco is more deep than eva fight me

Gundam is fucking garbage. End your life

>I happen to be an expert on this entire franchise of things related in name only, having seen Wing on Toonami once.

>/m/ tries to articulate something
>autism everywhere
>admits to reading tumblr unironically
Sasuga /m/.

He's sort of right. A lot of people apply grand, life-long meaning to eva when at best it's themes only apply to situations of dire circumstance.

Gundam follows more traditional storytelling where arcs of different tones are scattered throughout. It shows more ups and downs that way, and is more indicative of real life.

>UC is a deep war drama

>Tomino misinterpreted NGE
Now that makes you think.

>Watch some MATURE anime like Gundam or SAO!!!

You're an idiot.

>admits to reading tumblr
Tumblr universe means Steven Universe, which is some shitty flash cartoon. OP still seems to be admitting to watching that, though.

How can one not realize he's making an ass of himself with an opinion like that?
He's as dense as a brick

t. delusional evafag

>lmao this nigga literally missed the whole point
While I can imagine he is to some extent being self deprecating because of his own depressing work I can't help but agree with him.
Eva is more egocentric and self-indulgent
>It's OK,Shinji. You are a beautiful butterfly.You have to love yourself the way you are. It's their fault for not getting you.
It's some BE YOURSELF sort of bullcrap.
Tomino's characters are just as fucked up as Anno's but the message is different. He's like:
>Look now. Everybody has the same problems you do. Nobody really has the time to hate you. We're all in this shit together so stop whining and find a job, get married, have BABIES. Contribute to society, goddammit.
Which is where
>and to encourage them to work happily until they die.
comes in. He's focused on society. Not on the individual. Happiness is a group effort.

Nah, I just find extremely dumb for him to talk about something of which he completely missed the meaning of (it's completely fine to dislike something, as long as you get it).
Is it so difficult to check your facts before saying something that will be public and make you look dumb forever?

>It's their fault for not getting you.

How hard is it to understand Eva? Seriously. Or are you being stupid on purpose?

Ok. I am stupid. Enlighten me.

But Eva is more about the characters psychological problems than Gundam.
You are just making it sound stupid with the BE YOURSELF shit. Eva raises a valid point, even if you have problems in life you shouldn't run away, embrace life and all the pain that comes with it, that's the only way to mature properly.

The characterization in Eva is also way better than in Gundam.

For one, Shinji's own delusions about how people perceived him, hm being avoidant, his compliancy, and lack of communication is why people didn't understand him. His negative attributes are continuously noted as such and not celebrated. Secondly, the finale has him learning he can change for the better. That's all I'm saying, but it decisively contradicts whatever horse shit you were spouting.

The characters are self-indulgent, the show doesn't portray it as being okay and the climax is them getting called on it.

>But Eva is more about the characters psychological problems than Gundam.
>The characterization in Eva is also way better than in Gundam.
I disagree with those statements but I don't blame you for thinking this way.
>Eva raises a valid point
>even if you have problems in life you shouldn't run away, embrace life and all the pain that comes with it, that's the only way to mature properly.
I agree with those statements.
I'm not saying that Eva is wrong. Just that it focuses too much on the individual and their private thoughts.
Of course.Saying something like "It's their fault for not getting you." is an exaggeration.People need love. Shinji believes that people will hate him because he hates himself. If he learns to accept himself and the pain of being himself he can get closer to other people without being afraid. Anno's philosophy is too focused on this solipsistic internal loop of thought."I am defined by myself.Only MY thoughts, MY feelings matter to me." Love exists as an end, not as a means. The connection to other people is lost. Anno sees the human as an individual. Why do they need love? It's not touched upon. We just assume they do.
Tomino's humans are of flesh and blood.They want to survive and procreate.Humans are social animals so they need to get along in order to do so. His approach to psychology is social. It's not individuals that take center stage but the relationships between them.
Anno is trying too hard to get inside your head. That's not who people are. His representation of human interactions is too self-centered. There is a certain "It's all about me" feel.
Just my private oppinion. I'm not shitting on Eva. I just find it a little bit juvenile. Self-definition is the main preoccupation of a teenager. Nothing wrong with that. It's just natural. It's just that as you get older your world view gradually shifts from the inside to the outside. From "Who am I really?" to "And what am I going to do about that?"

>"I am defined by myself.Only MY thoughts, MY feelings matter to me."

Except an important part of Eva is how interactions with others and observing them shapes your self-identity, influences your actions, and develops your sense of self and sense of the world itself. Understanding between people foster a greater recognition of the self. Relationships with others is how one finds satisfaction in one's existence, the world around them, and are necessary to know one's self. Eva stresses the importance of relationships.

Tomino hasn't made anything remotely good sinse the 1980s, and even then they were poorly written and heavily relied on the good mech desings and setting.
I mean shit, he didn't even make the best parts of mobile suit gundam, just look at 0080 and thunderbolt compared to the clusterfuck that is zeta!

>thunderbolt

Beyond the animation, everything about this is horrible. The jazz is terribly misplaced and the in-story reason for its presence is pure juvenility.

>Tomino hasn't made anything remotely good sinse the 1980s
>ignoring his best series

>Not liking snazzy jazz music accompanying your mecha battles
Forgot about that gem actually. my point still stands however, he's a horribly inconsistent writer

Does original Gundam carry any wieght? I've been putting it off under the idea that it's outdated cornball shit

Still one of the best mecha series ever. Just don't expect the powerful imagery and great direction present in Eva.

That all sounds pretty red pilled

It has its moments but your preconceptions aren't completely wrong.

It's okay, Miya keeps sucking his dick for some reason.

I really like Patlabor but how come it's so massively overrated on /m/?

The animation in 0079 is very dated but is fun to watch for the classic feel, I found it tiring on the eyes after a while so I switched to dub and watched it whole building gunpla.
Zeta is a mess and double zeta is fantastic if you ignore the shit first 10 episodes.
Chars counter attack is rushed with shit side characters but is still worth the watch.
The universe really shines in the multiple ova series but alot are plagued by production and staffing issues like directors leaving/dying and shit.

Yes. But notice how you keep using the word "your". That is exactly what I was saying.
The center is always the self. You need relationships to reinforce yourself. The ego is the center. "I need to be loved to survive".It's ultimately a selfish point of view.
In Eva self-definition, self-confirmation is presented as the ultimate end. If you can do that love will come as a reward. But love only exists so you can further confirm or define yourself."I see, I was all right all along" and he lived happily ever after etc.
It should be the other way round. Understanding yourself is the means. Strenghtening your relationships is the end.
Self-definition is important. It's an integral part of human development.But it's the domain of the teenager. This is where Eva leaves off.
People need each other. In a physical, not a psychological sort of way. Yes, they need to define themselves in relation to others in order to be able to live with them but actual human relationship are way more complex and diverse than just this.
People are not just "personality constructs".

The original is horribly dated, you should read the manga.

>Why do you still cling to your shitty pleb shows even after based Tomino has Blown you The Fuck Out, Gainaxfags?
Because I make up my own damned mind about what anime I like and dislike, not blindly follow what someone else - even if they are a prominent figure in anime - says I should like or dislike.

Everyone I know that likes Gundam in real life is a massive faggot. If this quote is real then Tomino sounds like a massive faggot too.

I've only met a few Evafans and they were usually those weird kids who were surprisingly chill.

>it's much more interested in admitting that we're all depressed nervous wrecks, I thought.
And then Tomino actually got diagnosed with depression

t. an Eva fan.

>and to encourage them to work happily until they die
cuck

This. Just watch the movies and read Origin, then go back and watch the series if you want more.

>But notice how you keep using the word "you

Maybe because I was specifically responding to a quote that was in regards to an individual's feelings and that misinterpretation about how the Self was only valid? That was not confirming what you were saying, I was contradicting you and you never actually rebutted it. You just modified your stance a bit and repeated yourself.

>self-confirmation is presented as the ultimate end.
>If you can do that love will come as a reward.

Except this is untrue. Self-affirmation is no guarantee someone will love you or return the favor, it's only a stepping stone in many facets of life. Actually provide anywhere in Eva that states or implies this. People reach out for each other and desire to become one to combat the loneliness of individual existence, Eva emphasizes this, but it does not exclude basic human instincts in regards to biological urges, which is also in the show.

>People need each other. In a physical, not a psychological sort of way.

Did you just outright ignore the adult relationships in the show or interactions in general between characters? You're looking at the show far too one-dimensionally. Your commentary on Tomino's work is even more shallow.

>If you can do that love will come as a reward. But love only exists so you can further confirm or define yourself."I see, I was all right all along" and he lived happily ever after etc.
Yeah, that's not in there. Eva spells the ego out as the origin of all suffering and only means of any progress at all.

>I disagree with those statements but I don't blame you for thinking this way.

user, all opinions aren't equal. Some of them are just plain wrong, like yours for example. Here, witness how combined history of gundam characterisation doesn't amount to one shinji.
youtube.com/watch?v=o4UQntM4Zjw

The rest of your blogs are just your sophomoric perceptions of fiction and psychology. Regardless of how you feel about Eva's philosophy it doesn't change the fact that the thematic exploitation/execution in Eva is on a completely different level compared to gundam.

He's absolutely goddamn right.

Eva is popular in the east because it has cute girls, no one gives a shit about the story.

Eva is popular in the west because it plays into the western ideal of "heh... at least I'M not one of these nerds that jacks off to comatose girls *tips fedora*".

It is the literal definition of a meme anime and Anno is a faggot who is forced to sell his product to the people he hates.

Western here.

What? Are you aware that this makes no sense or do you just form your opinions based on Sup Forums threads?

I haven't modified my stance in any way ,I think.But I will repeat myself as many times as I have to. Eva represents human relationships through the mirror of the ego.
There is nothing wrong with stressing the loneliness of individual existence. That also is present in Tomino's work. It's an important problem.
I have also not failed to notice the "adult" relationships and human instincs presented in Eva. But again they are represented through individual experience that is self-centered.
>Your commentary on Tomino's work is even more shallow.
It could be that I just don't understand. How is it shallow?
Excuse me if I don't express myself properly. I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just trying to figure out why Eva bothers me morally. I'm not saying that you are stupid for liking it.
I could be wrong in my judgements, but it does bother me.

I can like them all user. Tomino kinda needs to shut the fuck up after G-reco though, great setting but what a steaming pile of trash the rest of it was.

Found the retard.

You tell me that my perceptions are sophomoric and then you make me watch this dumb Youtube video that states the obvious?
I don't claim to be an expert either on psychology or on writing and direction but aren't you falling too easily for cheap tricks.
The problems that Eva addresses are valid but it's exactly the exectution that makes it so juvenile and self-centered. Anno gets too stuck in his own head.
I'm sorry if Tomino is not flashy enough for you.