Why is it that finding a good anime dub is one in a million?

Why is it that finding a good anime dub is one in a million?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JHsUfuFVRSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=skldqvXPqGQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

is that why this is subbed on netflix ? cause im enjoying it

There aren't even a million anime in existence.

isaac and miria best thing about the dub.

>here's a pocket full of popcorn and some dryer lint as payment, I know you're 45 but I don't see why you can't play this 14 year old high school girl, once google translate is done with the script and I've found some new memes to sprinkle in, we'll be ready to record

/r/anime please leave. You are on the wrong board/website.

>3v1
>they are on the wrong website

Because it's not worth it for them to get good VAs for it.

The good English speaking VAs are working on higher paying things than dubbing anime.

One of those fuckers were even in favor of subs. Also if you're gonna pretend to be the conscientious oldfag Sup Forums-is-one-person guy, you'd like baccano, ghost stories, and panty and stocking dubbed at least.

Most dubs do suck though, but check mine.

Not him, but I've been here for 8 years and I've never even tried Baccano or P&S dubbed, and I see no reason why I should.
Don't push this special dubs shit as a must for oldfags.

The "all dubs are shit" attitude has been around for far longer than Sup Forums has, and while I have seen a few good dubs, including Baccano and Ghost Stories, that attitude does generally ring true.

Also the PSG dub was atrocious.

>dubs

Because it's harder to tell the difference between a good Jap VA or a bad Jap VA when you don't speak the language. But when it comes to english you're way more critical because you actually understand the finer nuances of the voice acting.

Not that it matters because the entire "all dubs are shit" attitude is completely retarded. Watch what you enjoy and stop being an asshole. You're the problem with the anime community.

I liked the Dub better than the sub

>But when it comes to english you're way more critical because you actually understand the finer nuances of the voice acting.
Japanese anime voice acting generally sounds a lot better comparatively than English anime dubs do to well-done of Western cartoons. They are still often awkward and completely unlike IRL spoken Japanese, but there is a quality difference. It's a matter of effort and investment, and there just isn't much of either in the relatively small, low-budget English anime industry.

Oh I agree. Japanese VA is way more funded and they have tons of super talented people over there. Compared to the English scene which is super low budget and a small pool to draw from. But that doesn't change the fact that the pretentious "all dubs are shit" mentality is retarded. There are good English dubs out there.

>Because it's harder to tell the difference between a good Jap VA or a bad Jap VA when you don't speak the language. But when it comes to english you're way more critical because you actually understand the finer nuances of the voice acting.
>Japanese VA is way more funded and they have tons of super talented people over there. Compared to the English scene which is super low budget and a small pool to draw from.
Then there's the localization for the burger audience. A harder time adjusting the dialogue to the mouth flaps since they are based on the original Japanese script and thus being restricted by the mouth flaps or fucking up the timing completely. You're removing part of the original show and replacing it with something made by a third party, essentially like reading a fanfiction retelling instead of a book's translation. The new VAs generally can not communicate with the director like the original VAs would.
So in total the reasons why dubs are shit are the same reasons why live-action dubs are shit, with smaller emphasis on the mouth flap part.
>pretentious
Buzzword due to a lack of arguments. Dubs are all shit for obvious reasons (see above).
>b-but you're a weeb!!!
Most of these arguments extend to animation of any origin, the exceptions being your arguments.

It's usually when the original dubs are just bad, I mean have you listened to Black Lagoon or Baccano in the original? They just plain suck.

>completely unlike IRL spoken Japanese
Is it supposed to be? The strength of animation is in how it restricted by reality.

You forgot Ghost stories

I remember watching Black Lagoon subbed before it was dubbed. It was fine at the time since I had nothing to compare it to. Well except for the Revy speaking engrish scene. But as soon as I watched the dub, those voices became the de facto voices for the characters in my head.

As for Baccano I never watched it subbed, so I don't know. But Ladd Russo's voice was fucking great.

youtube.com/watch?v=JHsUfuFVRSQ

Panty and Stocking dub is genuinely better than the sub, thanks to the fact that Japanese people cant deliver Western style humor worth half a shit.

>PSG dub
>good

Even if you were right, what's the point? A dub adds absolutely nothing even if it is "good". Ghost stories is literally the only exception.

This argument is always so fucking retarded.

Voice acting quality is about the emotion behind the words, not the actual nuance of pronunciation. If you can't tell if somebody's voice is angry/bored/happy without knowing the words then you probably have legitimate, non-meme autism.

>panty and stocking dubbed

Half the point of watching that show is engrish swears.

Nah, there is always some dissonance. There are movies from my country where people will complain about the acting who speak the language but foreigners have found nothing odd about it.

So does Sup Forums prefer the sub or dub for the Fullmetal Alchemist series?

>its ok to be a newfag shitposter as long as everyone else is doing it

Noir had a pretty great dub IMO. With the standout performance being Shelley calene-black as Mirielle. It's funny, but even though Mirielle was her first major role, I think it is by far her best performance. Compared to what she has done in recent years, the effort she put into meaningful "anime grunts" and shit was commendable. I guess the ADR director can take credit for that too.

You're a man of fine taste. Gene Starwind's dub voice is god tier. It's a shame that we don't hear much from him anymore.

youtube.com/watch?v=skldqvXPqGQ

>anecdotes
The people you know might be retarded, but most aren't. Even leaving the language barrier out of things, if you can't tell that most dubs sound a thousand times more wooden then good western voice acting (in real cartoons, movies, etc) then you've got no right to opine on anything.

^ most people aren't retarded? Thought the opposite was true...

You should go out more.

exactly