Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1588

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BEULybZnLO8
youtube.com/watch?v=K_xTet06SUo
youtube.com/watch?v=9YTaT0dYvzs
youtube.com/watch?v=-C-JGcU__kM
youtube.com/watch?v=SIM4G-4kBA8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I prefer not to use the default image but you guys are fucking 遅すぎる and I didn't have anything else decent

second for kana is harder than kanji

I can't stop playing this (turn on captions to fool yourself you're studying):

youtube.com/watch?v=BEULybZnLO8

こんばんは
ありがとうね

Holy shit I'm so glad I actually bothers to install it, it wasn't so hard after all.
Works like a charm that's fucking nice.

Thanks user, always appreciate people sharing good videos, even if it isn't really that related to anything

Seen this? Pretty similar style, shit's just so aesthetically pleasing

youtube.com/watch?v=K_xTet06SUo

What I did on Realkana was start from the beginning あいえうお. Get 100 correct, add the next column, 100 correct....

Keep doing this, but after you have like 4/5 columns selected, start unselecting the first stuff you did so that the newer kana shows up more.

Realkana is shit now and I haven't used it since, but I think you should still be able to do this.

>あいえうお

>couple of years

> Be me
> Got stuck in kana for three years
shit

おお…凄い動画だ
三味線とは私の耳にはドハマリ薬みたいな

Shouganai da ne
Muzukashii mon

It took me 3 months of regular/average grammar studying with prior kana knowledge to go from "I don't understand shit" to "I can finally understand pretty much anything with a dictionary/OCR and enough time".

Either I'm really smart (very unlikely) or these guys are really dumb, unmotivated and/or lazy.

Guys how can I help with memorisation of the Core2K deck?

I don't wanna learn each kanji by itself but instead want to just learn vocab (and grammar) so I can start reading faster but I'm having a hard time remembering the vocab from the Core2K deck.

目もね
あの弾いている女の子は超カワイイ

>"I can finally understand pretty much anything with a dictionary/OCR and enough time".

That's not really understanding. And I doubt it's even true. Maybe if you're talking about simplistic stuff. But overall Japanese has too much stuff that only becomes easy to understand as you get exposure and experience with the language.

Note that I'm not defending that fag on Reddit.

>it took me 3 months to get to the point where I can inch through VNs misunderstanding every other line

Just keep doing Anki every day and you'll learn them. I too found it really hard at times but with perseverance I got through and now I know Japanese.

>3DPD version

I unironically use Vocaloid as a study material. It can be good for stuff like 四字熟語.
youtube.com/watch?v=9YTaT0dYvzs

Should I reduce the amount of cards or just grind through it?

OCRing a single page of tobira by hand took me between half an hour and an hour. Of course, I did the preface, which is polluted with furigana, but still.

now why would you go and do that

I wanted to see if it was humanly possible.

texthooking manga is just a pain in the fucking ass

i think im just gonna read only vn's until i am fluent

youtube.com/watch?v=-C-JGcU__kM

Depends on your time restraints? If your work/study means you don't have much time, you might be better off lowering the number of cards so you can also get time in for other stuff like grammar etc. Otherwise just grind through it.

Most important thing is to do your reviews every single day, if you're having problems it's fine to lower new cards but stopping reviews = failure.

I've known ひらがな for a while, but I can't seem to get カタカナ memorized despite studying using the same method. Why is this?

it's used less

Alright that makes total sense, thanks for the tips user

Try Kenji

For me personally, I used Twitter a lot to learn Katakana and Hiragana since I just constantly got notifications in those two since I followed a lot of Japanese accounts and studios.

So I'm just constantly reading them and eventually I was able to memorise it.

It doesn't have much actually, maybe grasping some term usages/nuances is what might be hardest, but the general grammar ruling is really simple.

It might be the mentality you take on how you learn a language too, but if you know the "rules" (and you can read), theoretically you can understand anything.

I dunno, I never gave VNs a try... I did translate some mangos (about 30ish chapters) to force my understanding and to get publicly bashed, but it didn't happen.

I did lots of mistakes, and finding them was the hardest part.

I'm reading LNs now and there's just so much more text, but aside from some new expressions I can't make sense at first, it's still understandable.

I'm looking for a guinea pig to study in a way I propose just to see how good it is, I got a couple of friends already but they're damn too slow getting past the kanas...

What?

What's there to install, actually? You just unzip it

That's Korean user

keitai de posuto shiteiru kara, nihongo ga kakenai. romaji ga ii desu ka?

What phone doesn't support Japanese input nowadays?

I don't understand Anki. Can anybody explain what I'm supposed to be doing here?

samsung no keitai desu

Damn, your fonts.conf is kinda broken, or you have too few fonts.

jesus christ what happened here

I was wondering if it was supposed to be this ugly. I have a lot of fonts installed (I installed all of the recommended fonts on the Arch wiki) and never messed with fonts.conf, though.

Not sure what the actual issue is then, does it look like that in other applications? (Also, refer to the Anki manual for the answer to your initial question)

いいえ, everything else looks fine.

Anki is a memorization application.

It has decks: which has a bunch of cards, each card is something you will force into your memory.

It'll give you a word/letter/sentence, and you'll think for yourself what it is.
You probably won't know if it's the first time, you'll click "show answer" and it'll show you.

Then you select one of the options based on how you fare your knowledge of that card:
Again, Hard, Good, Easy

Anki will manage when it'll show that card again for you based on your answers. You can see above the buttons when it will show next as your "daily exercise".
The more and more you get it "right", that is, you click anything that's not "Again", it'll show even less and less since you supposedly know that already.

Whew, that said, that Anki seems broken or badly configured, like other anons said, the font, and with that I can't help.

I'd recommend AnkiDroid (or it's iOS version) though, you can bring it anywhere since the point is doing the exercise everyday, without fail, until your brain gets hammered with the information.

It's also good for doing it while shiting or in the bed before sleeping.

Thanks. I guess I expected it to do more. I'll probably just get AnkiDroid instead of messing with fixing this.

What does it mean Sup Forums?

nothing

It means your battery is running out.

It means you are new so u don't have any mature cards, your retention on normal cards is pretty low and you fail more often on new cards than you get them right. You probably started last week or the week before I guess

>he fell for the rice meme

What's the latest useful resource?

Her vocal range isn't what I was expecting and it's refreshing.

>証
Does this have any etymological connection to the akashic records?

Not him, but how do you read the lines in this graph?

you don't, they're nonsense

What's kinda cool too is that whoever did the colored link boxes in the beginning also matched the song beats...

ooooaah

Fucking nips

>fuack
every time

僕は日本語を勉強するのは興味がないのに勉強してる...どうして

今日の晩ご飯は
出汁で炊いたご飯に
こんにゃくを盛って食べた

和の心を感じる
これで日本人になれたのかな

それはいうまでもなくお前がどうしようもないゴミクズだからだ

自分がやりたいことをせずに
世間の目を意識して行動してるような輩が俺は嫌いだ

まあ、いか

i highly doubt it
it comes from the 連用形 of 明かす

私は、彼氏のためにわ

まあ

What Japanese TV shows should I watch?

boku no pico

Pokemon.

I mean normie TV shows not anime

おいしそう

I find 月曜から夜更かし and ホンマでっか amusing at least.

Yugioh.

This might be the sort of thing you're looking for:

Would you learn kansaiben if you had the chance?

あかん。なんで知りたいん?うちはなにもわかへんやで

>ウインドウズ十
バアアカ

I already speak half assed kansaiben because I lived in Osaka for a year, but I don't think I'd go all the way.

If I was a girl then hell yes I would

Male kansaiben a shit though

That's not Windows 10, it's Numix (a GNU/Linux theme).

I may move to Japan. My first name is clearly white, but my last name is Croatian, and when put into kana, sounds exactly like a real Japanese surname. How confusing might this be to people and how can I deal with it without taking an entirely new name?

ガキの使い

Can you tell me how kansaiben is different from regular Japanese? Are there any grammatical differences or just the pronunciation?

youtube.com/watch?v=SIM4G-4kBA8

>studying japanese
>disregarding it's 弁

Girls would probably disagree with you.

Not that guy but both.
The intonation is different, they use some different words in some cases (本当-ほんま、駄目-あかん、面倒くさい-しんどう、あたし-うち to name a few) and they conjugate differently (へん instead of ない etc.)

何でやねん?あほか

Oops, that's supposed to be しんどい

Can I get to N1 in 1-2 years?

I didn't know うち is kansai. I always see that word in Non Non Biyori.

おもろーやん
なんでや関西弁喋れるん?関西弁使う漫画ある?
It's used in many scenarios

In 2 years definitely
In 1 maybe but you might need to study specifically for the N1 with prep materials and such in that case. It might not be enough for you to just coast through

お前あほやろ

I see しんどい in standard dialect stuff