Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1589

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10615973
handbeezy.com/701
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is /djt/ playing right now?

Anime

私わたしは腕時計うでどけいを四よっつ持もっています
Can I read the end as te-e-masu or te-imasu?

Kamidori AM

>私わたしは腕時計うでどけいを四よっつ持もっています
そんな書き方..

fek, I included the kanji to kana. Here's the flashcard.

Both sound more or less the same in fast spoken Japanese so it doesn't matter. It is an い sound though.

Thank you

I'm watching someone else play 牧場物語 3つの里の大切な友達 難しすぎるです

strawpoll.me/10615973

How can a game for kids in kindergarden be too hard?

Yesterday, here in Tokio, I saw an elementary schooler reading Owari no Seraph LN spin-off. People here normally use book covers, but that kid probably gave no fucks.

Anyway, that about shows how much of an achievement is being able to read LNs with no assistance. Although I bet 99,9% of people here can't do that.

Today I did 267 new cards, the most I have ever done by a fairly wide margin. I hope never to break this record.

>を食って
I'm trying to figure the base concept that phrases using something along these lines is supposed to mean. Closest I can come up with is "Lapping it up" or "Went full ####" but it's pretty contextual depending on what it follows. Anyone up that knows what it is?

"took"?

怒首領蜂 大往生

If you did that much new cards, your reviews will easily be that high or even higher for the next week at least, depending on your retention. Good luck.

Well done user. Meanwhile I just got to 52 words, and I'm still reviewing the same stuff I just forgot from yesterday. And I just realized I didn't put a reverse side so I can read and write the words, but I guess since I have no desire to handwrite in japanese this might not be too much of an issue for me. I can't retention for shit, but at least it's king of like drawing, I can quick pose gesture better, and I now can remember a little bit more.

Every time I come into these threads you guys somehow manage to strengthen my impression of it being a place for flashcard addicts. It's genuinely disconcerting.

Good luck to you. May your willpower and endurance survive the aftershock.

I hope you have nothing planned, friend.
Either that, or I hope you are willing to forego the act of sleep for the next week or so.

It's the only numeric you can show in this thread that you know what you are doing and making tangible progress. The alternative is speaking in vocaroo and expecting people to listen to the sound of your voice and critique your grammar and pronounciation.

difference is i've been studying japanese for 8 months while that kid's been doing it for 10 years

If you're dedicated enough and just dive into the deep end, you'll be able to read simpler LNs in that time. That series about the girl in the bear costume is pretty easy to read.

I spend a lot of time drawing kanji in google translate because there are no furigana and it's not voiced. It doesn't help that the guy playing it is a native who skips through the whole paragraphs of exposition only to sum it up as "oh this is my uncle" after the fact.

The original meme game

i'm about 200 pages into my first ln right now
i have to rely on a dictionary to look up a word every other sentence, though, which i'm not expecting to be able to drop any time soon

not nearly good enough to play it in japanese

What series?

イリヤの空、UFOの夏

I vaguely recall that already being listed over at BT. Why that one?

What are the best nico streams for listening practice?

Only the flashcard addicts are autistic enough to feel the need to brag about their study time. Gives a biased impression about the way people are studying.

no particular reason, saw someone mention it on Sup Forums i think
didn't really have anything else i wanted to read other than jintai, but i'd rather leave that til i'm more comfortable reading it

Yesterday I did just over 1000 reviews thanks to not being able to do them for 3 days. Trust me, I'm already used to the pain, I can handle this much. My young retention is 98% and mature 96% so I am not worried about forgetting too much.

Thank you, your praise is very much appreciated. Also to , not sure if you are doing core or a mined deck, but either way, if you are having trouble with retention try doing some mnemonics for kanji that are giving you trouble. The ones on koohii work wonders for me.

My anki vigil ends in about a fortnight when I finish my jouyou kanji vocab program. After that I will get right onto reading as much as possible, so don't worry about me.

For Jintai you'll need to be able to handle a bit more than typical LN vocabulary(Low N2-ish?) and be accustomed to turn of phrases. It's not as difficult as people seem to make it out to be but you're not going to be able to appreciate Romeo's writing style for it without a fair amount of experience.

>Young retention is 98%
What is your IQ m8?

>After that I will get right onto reading as much as possible, so don't worry about me.
Read now, pick up vocab along the way. Dictionary definitions aren't even half the battle.

Idolmaster Starlight Stage, as always.
Until Platinum Stars comes out, at least.

Then maybe you should play it yourself at your own pace and not deal with that guy's bullshit.

Yeah this is me , and I'm using the 2k/6k deck like you. I'll try hoohii as well.

overwatch competitive placement matches

Why the fuck would you do that? That just seems stupid.

You can show off your kanjigrid.
It gives a more clear view on your progress so far and doesn't involve doing suicidal amounts of new cards, just mining stuff.

ちょっと難しくなった。

you have dysgraphia

don't bother practicing writing itself, just the characters

Download the RTK PDF too, it contains names for the "primitives" that the koohii website does not. I don't recommend RTK as Heisig prescribes it but if you learn the component names then the mnemonics can be helpful when you need them. Just make sure to verify the "keyword" is actually accurate by looking up some common words the kanji is in.

Haven't taken an online test in many years and never got a legitimate test. The online ones said ~125 but those inflate your result to boost your ego so who knows for sure.

Thank you for the advice, I know reading is incredibly important. I read Hanahira already and started on Flyable Heart, but got frustrated with not knowing the kanji I saw everywhere. I decided to do this so that I would not have to deal with the annoyance of looking up new kanji very often at all. In hindsight it probably wasn't the most optimal route but now that I'm so close to finishing, I might as well do just that.

I had 267 new cards mined so I just decided to do them all in one fell swoop. Mainly I did it so that in several months if someone in DJT asks "what is the most new cards you've done in a day" I can answer 267.

>課題
>議題
>extremely similar shapes
>similar frequencies
>overlapping meaning
>different readings

What's dysgraphia?

It's an umbrella term for conditions that make it so that you can't write properly/legibly, even in your native language.

Uh nope. I'm writing using the other hand. Thanks for the new word though.

nice meme

>got frustrated with not knowing the kanji I saw everywhere
Any kind of frustration you could get from that is easily solved with a text hooker and anki realtime import.

Also holy shit, how many people are going to fall for the Hanahira and Flyable Heart meme?

It seemed like it was plenty difficult enough for you already

Can't speak for Flyable Heart as a meme but Hanahira is not a meme to fall for. It's easier than anything else and is crazy short so it's great as beginner material. I don't regret it.

>look ma I posted it again

when you see 議 and 義 and the like in a million words you will not have any trouble remembering it's "ぎ"

How can I make Rikaisama import the 2nd definition instead of the first one?

I still need to organize my reaction images.

A young Japanese woman in her 30s that works at a local Japanese restaurant just recently advertised private language lessons on Facebook. I've been learning on my own since march, and have memorised 1500 kanji, and some vocabulary and grammar. Is it worth going for the private lessons or should I stick on my own for now?

When it's an actually relevant word and not fucking だ, you can type it out and 変換 it over to the right 漢字

Little did you know that Hanahira secretly killed enough of your brain cells to leave you unable to become fluent in Japanese.

it would be good speaking practice

Is she actually qualified to teach Japanese? Just because she's a native speaker doesn't mean she actually knows how to teach the language.

>not playing it in nihongo

僕は図書館に行く前にお前の食べ物を食べる。それから宇宙船で火星に行く。いいのかい

that would be like watching american cartoons with japanese subs and calling it practice

お電波さん見っけ

There's no nihongo version on PC so he can't pirate it/buy in for a dollar.

良いわけないでしょう。私の食べ物は私だけのものです。食べさせませんよ

It's a shame. Judging from Japanese wiki's, the game looks much more interesting in Japanese.

>pyromancy is called 呪術

You get to read all that lore in Japanese, though.
It got some rare kanji for you to collect.

press u, then r over the kana, then press u again

I've sent her a message asking if she has any qualifications and waiting for her response. It's not really worth it if she doesn't have experience, yeah?

>>pyromancy is called 呪術
then what sorceries called

Sorcery and miracles are 魔術 and 奇跡 like you would expect.

are*

I NEED LISTENING PRACTISE that isn't anime or drama

I only have an iPad and the actual anki app is $25, do those other free anki apps work with the decks in the guide? Also what happened to genki being in the guide?

ロケットリーグ

>君は逃げられないぞ、俺の魔法使えばどうにでもなるんだから。

I'm pretty sure this just means that there's nowhere 君 can run from 俺 thanks to 俺's 魔法 skills, but how exactly does どうにでもなる work? Can't find any explanations of what it exactly is meant to mean.

Guys what do I do if I am guessing the meaning of sentences incorrectly? Like when I read something I simply go and form narratives that don't exist in the text, or incorrectly interpret the relation between objects.

watch the news
or a documentary film

I've played through 3 schools so far and read the first few story parts and skipped the rest. The story is literal shit not even worth reading

There's nothing you can do, as in "whatever will happen is going to happen."

If you don't know the grammar learn it. If the meaning is wrong either find a way to twist what you think it means to remind you of the actual meaning or forget it entirely and relearn it.

おにいちゃんおなかすいた

たまにはおにくもたべたいな

俺の肉棒でもしゃぶってろ

アメリカ人はほぼ毎日肉を食うんだな
変に見えるかな

Your kanji slopes in the wrong direction senpai

handbeezy.com/701

How's my pronounciation?

ive gone through the guide but..

if you ask me to explain what each particle does or to seperate clauses I can handle that much, but in actual usage sometimes it seems so unexpected or inexplicable

i mean someone could read the entire tae kim and dojt 10 times through, then hold a dictionary and yet not be able to read a book, right?

are you supposed to read like a parser, as in you would be able to explain the grammar precisely afterwards?

jailbreak?