Why doesn't raising the minimum wage to $15 work?

Why doesn't raising the minimum wage to $15 work?

Other urls found in this thread:

fee.org/freeman/detail/the-eugenics-plot-of-the-minimum-wage
bls.gov/regions/west/news-release/consumerpriceindex_seattle.htm
washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/new-study-casts-doubt-on-whether-a-15-minimum-wage-really-helps-workers/?utm_term=.94ad6acadf92
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The minimum wage should be propotioned to the area. Places like Manhattan, $15/hr is not going to be enough, while places like Sebring FL, $15/hr is way too much.

Your labor isn't worth $15 an hour.

Caus it sounds a lot like communism

Because it's like treating a symptom and not the disease.

It doesn't work because companies are going to pass off the extra labor costs onto consumers, so the relative purchasing power of a dollar will be lower.

Wholesome Soe best Soe

In terms of basic economics, the higher the cost to a business (Wages in this case) the less money the business has for itself. So that in turn creates fewer jobs.

Small businesses cant afford it. How are you this stupid?

I want to raise children with Soe.

it does. companies with a shitty business model die out as intended.

It does work. It will grow the economy because people will have more to spend. We also need more illegal immigrants to come in and work below the minimum wage so that businesses can make more money and expand the economy.

The extra cost of labour gets passed onto the consumer.

Which means the extra money you make won't matter because everything costs MUCH more.

surplus of available labor

Wage and price controls do not work. If you artificially raise the price of something, people will buy less of it. The original intent of the minimum wage was to disemploy people, and it does.

fee.org/freeman/detail/the-eugenics-plot-of-the-minimum-wage

Whoever this bitch is, she looks much better with long hair.

Because the purchasing power is not equal throughout the US. You could make 100k in nyc and have the same status as someone making 60k in houston.

It would be harder for smaller towns.

The only way it’d work is if it scaled or if there was some sort of exemption on payroll taxes because any raise is paid out twice by employers.

Fuck off! I deserve $15 an hour for flipping burgers. You're just being useful idiots for ronald mcdonald if you think otherwise

Why stop at $15?

it does

Because the first thing that happens when you raise the minimum wage is you price low-skilled, low-educated, low-experienced workers out of the labor market.

=

More college graduates waiting tables.

I'm for it.
>It will speed up automation
>Major companies will not lobby as hard to get as many low wage immigrants
>less fast food joints as they can't afford the labor and increased prices

Who could be behind this post

Don't marry or breed with sanpaku-eyed lesbians. They always divorce you, take everything and leave you in ruins.

Spotted the paid corporate shills. That's not true. The corporations you shill for can easily pay higher wages.

$15 an hour causes instant inflation. If you don't like $1000/month rent, your gonna really hate paying $2000 for the same place.

The minimum wage in general doesn't work.

Yes! It should be at least $50 an hour

Lol Seattle CPI is like 2.5% bls.gov/regions/west/news-release/consumerpriceindex_seattle.htm

We should raise everyone's salary by 50%

obviously answer. just raise prices.

this guy gets it.

problems solved

>the minimum wage was a eugenics plot
They say that like it's a bad thing.

I think we should get rid of currency altogether and give everything away for free.

Harmful for small businesses and only big corporations can fit the bill. I thought this was common knowledge?

Dumb shit, they want to keep making more money, if they didn't raise prices with minimum wage, they'd plateau, and that's bad because they aren't growing. So they raise the floor to bring everything back in line.

The original intent of the min wage was to provide a living wage.

Now conservashits are just useful idiots for billion dollar globalist corporations.

productivity, not fiat paper money digits in your bank account, make an economy, and workers, prosperous.
Venezuelans get 100% raises every money. but they still can't afford toilet paper with all that paper money, because they do not produce enough goods and services to warrant any value to their currency.

lol u paid corporate shills are so fucking cucked

I just told u they can afford to pay their workers higher wages.

FULLY AUTOMATED LUXURY GAY SPACE COMMUNISM NOW!!

Paying $15 for someone who can BARELY ask, do you want fries with that, is too fucking much. I got it, How about we pay them a commission of the work they perform? So they actually WANT to work.

Why would raising the wages be a preferred solution to the problem of currency devaluation?

>It will not. anyone making $10/hour is getting gibs and taking home 15/hr.
so the market is the same
>If employment goes down, less available renters at that 1000/month, only whatever gibs could get them.
rent prices go down.

1700 billion = 7 trillion ?

>what is a quarter

why r u ppl so retarded?

No! Raise the wage and we will feel more valued and will work harder. That means the business makes more money overall, we have more to spend, the economy flourishes.

If a currency like the US dollar isn't backed by anything of value, then the value of the dollar is what we agree it is
If suddenly everyone is being paid more dollars per hour, then that agrees upon value will be deminished to whatever the labor is actually worth.

I went to carls jr the other day and my regular meal (a #3 with medium fries and drink) went up to over $10. Im now paying restaurant prices for fast food. As a result I will be easting out even less than I already do. Minimum wage isnt even $15 yet where I live.

$15 minimum wage will either force automation in low skilled positions taking away jobs, or simply put businesses under as more people cut back due to the rising prices- killing even more jobs.

>Why doesn't raising the minimum wage to $15 work?
Raising the minimum wage increases the cost of all commodities. It may be minor, but things like Milk, Toilette paper etc will go up. In the end MORE would be paid to business than now, and it would affect EVERYONE, not just minimum wage. If you close the pay gap between minimum and middle class, you hurt the middle class more than you help the minimum wage. If you are paid minimum wage, and you are worth a fuck you need to apply for other jobs and move up in the world. Demanding $15 an hour for a minimum wage job is like asking to be replaced by a robot.

It's been working fairly well in California. Don't fall for the kike shills on Sup Forums who will try to tell you otherwise.

Cue giant thread devoid of economic understanding...

Thanks for reminding everyone why you aren't worth $15 an hour.

I made $12 an hour doing help desk a few years ago where I live. $15 an hour is way too high for here, small businesses would go under everywhere. Why can't city retards ever consider that things don't always work the same outside of their little bubbles?

Why should you get paid more to do the same job in one place compared to another? I can understand if being in that location is important for connections to other businesses but if you're flipping burgers then it doesn't make sense.

I'd love to live in Oxfordshire but there's no way I'd be able to afford a home there that's anything more than a single bedroom shoebox flat on my salary so I compromised and instead work in Birmingham with a modest commute to a reasonably nice area south of the city where I could afford a pleasantly spacious 2 bedroom house.

The whole thing is sheer entitlement.

this

most of Sup Forums are just paid corporate shills and billionaire globalist cucks shilling for tax cuts for george soros

if they're actually real conservashits then i feel sorry for how cucked they are

not 1 reply

minimum wages a shit
You need unions

A general rule of thumb, is that the employees have to earn their own wages to their company.
So If I pay you 15 $ an hour to pick apples in an orchard I have, I need to be able to sell the apples you pick in an hour for at least 15 $.

If you have a Grocery store, and you have 5 employees and you pay them 10 $ an hour, then you need to earn 50$ an hour to just make it even.
If you raise the minimum wage, to 15$ an hour, you will have to earn 75$ an hour to break even, if you are unable to do that, you will need to let go of 1-2 employees to go down to the threshold for how much you earn in an hour.

California's largest industries would utterly fail without importing cheap labor from Mexico and India.
The once high payed high skill jobs are now entry level code monkey positions taken up by some H1B worker. Most unskilled labor is being done by illegals who sure as shit aren't being paid minimum wage across the board.

You have no argument.

Very misleading because the economy has also grown, look at profits as percentage of gdp.

>Why can't city retards ever consider that things don't always work the same outside of their little bubbles?
I never grasped this. Everyone who lives near NYC seems to think that everyone lives like that....They are so small minded to not even consider where the food they eat comes from. Federal minimum wage is a joke. I personally don't think there should be a minim wage. Let the market dictate the pay. Too many brown people would bitch then. Motherfuckers can't make it to work on time 3 out of 5 days in a week, and need fired.

How is it misleading to show that corporations make $7 TRILLION in profits and can easily afford to pay higher wages? You're just saying it's misleading because it debunks your corporate shill narrative.

Conservatives shill for lower wages for American workers so corporations and the wealthy elites can hoard all the wealth.

Biz owner here. You raise the minimum wage, you raise overhead costs and I will not hesitate to:

>cut your hours
>fire you
>not hire as much as I could
>increase the price of my goods to compensate

Enjoy getting fired and being unemployed because businesses can't afford your entitled ass, I hope you can afford the inflated price of goods because you just made everything more expensive

But hey at least the few other people who still have jobs make slightly more, right? Nope, while they may appear to earn more, they work less hours.

You fuckers need me more than we need you. You sink our ship, you sink with us because you were the one who got too entitled and greedy for your own good

Ungrateful cunts

$7 TRILLION in annual profits. Every year.

Lib will just say lol it's your fault for going bankrupt or something.

Because I will fire most of my workers and replace them with machines.

Fuck off commie. Unless you are a female who gives me a blowjob while making me dinner and doing my taxes you are no worth 15 bucks.

Because nogs and spics aren't worth $15.
It would be perfectly viable in an all white country.

>In terms of basic economics, the higher the cost to a business (Wages in this case) the less money the business has for itself. So that in turn creates fewer jobs.
That's nonsense.
Businesses do not as a rule have extra employees hanging around that are not needed. The more profit a business earns the more money it's owners get. Their is no relation between profitability and hiring extra employees.

End all illegal immigration and reduce legal immigration to marriage only. Then see what happens to wages.
The American Home Builders Association (that has members for 45% of the home builders in the USA) has reported that due to a crack down on illegal workers wages have rose an average of 33% this year.

See what happens to the lowest wage employers are able to pay once their supply of illegal employees and economic immigrants goes away.

pay your denbts and stfu

>flag
Yeah, I bet you're one of the idiots who think the USSR was actually Communism.

I'm human and therefore I deserve a higher wage. The nature of the work isn't important, the fact that I put in time and effort is all that matters. God, it's like you've not even read Marx

I look forward to firing my most unproductive workers.

>I bet you're one of the idiots who think the USSR was actually Communism

I bet you're one of the idiots who think Nazi Germany was actually Fascism

That's how dumb you sound leftybro.

lol you're such a fag. I bet you take the bus to school because you can't afford a car.

>It doesn't work because companies are going to pass off the extra labor costs onto consumers, so the relative purchasing power of a dollar will be lower.
Labor is not 100% of the cost of a good or service. Wages generally are about 1/3 of the cost of a good or service.

Eh, people with two functional hands and two functional feet who can blindly follow instructions to assemble machinery are irreplaceable in the forseeable future.

You sir, will be replaced by AI sooner than you think.

>can easily afford to pay higher wages?
because they are not doing charity.

their workers' labor is not worth more than what they get.

This is actually a far better alternative.

Minimum wage is intended for jobs that require minimum skill so people can build job experience. If the value of your skill set is below the minimum allowed wage, you will not be getting a job and fewer people will be able to gain skills that will help them get better jobs.

In short, people don't need minimum wage laws because they're supposed to be economically viable by the time they reach adulthood.

you're just a corporate shill fuck off soros kochsucker

>and I will not hesitate to:
>>cut your hours
Why were you employing people when you can operate your business without them working all the hours you were paying them? Are you really bad at business or just a very generous person?

>>fire you
Why would you fire an employee that was making you money? Or are you employing people that were not making you a profit?

>>not hire as much as I could
So make less money because no real business would have extra workers not making them money. Every worker you don't hire is one not earning you money.

>>increase the price of my goods to compensate
Yeah. That's the only reasonable and economically sound thing you said. However, you will find that if you have a customer base with more money they will spend more money. Make profit by volume.

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/new-study-casts-doubt-on-whether-a-15-minimum-wage-really-helps-workers/?utm_term=.94ad6acadf92

here you go dumbfuck.

lol their workers labor is worth far more, that's why those corporate profits are so high

u corporate shills are such degenerates

Just talked to the owners of two local Ag supercorps yesterday on this subject. I thought the "muh minimum wage kills jobs" meme was just a way for Neocons to appease their Jewish president and overlords, but apparently it's the major concern alongside labor availability.
Here's a quick summary of what they told me:
>Farm laborers mostly illegals, unionize somehow and bargain for $3+minimum wage.
>Liberals force California to raise mw to 15 shekels an hour by 2020.
>Labor unions signal they'll still expect the same delta when it reaches $15 (meaning they still want $3+mw)
>Where you could harvest a field in 2-4 hours with 100 workers getting paid $11-12 an hour, now you'd have to pay each individual laborer $18 minimum
>Ability to find cheap slave labor down exponentially this year, every farm is feeling the effects of restricted immigration. Illegals already working in the fields are quick to jump ship because of how shitty the working conditions are.
>Workers are already major dindus, stealing product, shitting in the fields, it's common for 20+ employees to simply decided they don't feel like coming into work during the weekday, 80+ on the weekends.
>on top of all this, Obama increases taxes on small businesses by essentially limiting tax dedications/refunds to rich superfarms that can afford to spend literally millions upgrading their equipment and trucking engines to suit the higher energy/green standards or building solar panel farms. Only 10 major farm corps left, forced to split production/farming/packing/preparation labor between each other to survive rather than compete; 90% of small farms basically wiped out.
>All 10 of those supercorps (any farm owning more than 60 square miles of prime Californian land) are dumping the few profits they have into mechanization and R&D. Robots capable of doing 5x the work in half the time without any of the dindu "dependability".
Basically, the absolute state of business and farming under Democrats.

People should have work experience before they're 18. Most people used to have experienced in skilled labor or farming from their families. For a time trade skills were part of public school curriculum. However that all changed, and today virtually no one in the job market has practical job skills passed down through the family.

Nothing in the world is as it should be.

This, i lived on about 20k a year in grad school, and only had to spend about 16k of it because I lived in an area with a very low cost of living. A 7$ minimum wage there was fine.

If cities want higher minimum wages they need to pass local ordinances. I absolutely support that. But the idea of a $15 dollar federal minimum wage is just fucking insane.

I only sound dumb to uneducated rural and suburban retards. Read Marx. Under real Communism we are all equal and no one is ever killed.

I have the skills as an entrepreneur to survive whatever happens, even if my business tanks. I've lived out of my car before, and besides I have a backup plan + saved up funds in case things go downhill anyways. I've experienced worse.

The people hurt the most if the minimum wage is increased will always be the workers who have nothing at all, because they tend to be real shit at managing themselves if they're still working minimum wage as adults. Yet paradoxically they are the most entitled kind of people you'll ever meet.

They literally beg to keep their job on layoff day and I can only remind them that this economy was their doing, not mine. I just sell shit that customer want, and manage things to keep things that way.

wtf i hate higher wages and 2.6% unemployment now! lol u corporate shills are too much

Hire a white man, pay him a middle class wage and let him run a machine that does the work.

I'll admit i may have done too much to keep it simple and left out key aspects.
My argument ignored the immigrant problem and focused on the money.
So the idea is when there is less money for the business, as a few posters have mentioned already, that increased cost is put on the consumer by increased price of services or product.
>Businesses do not as a rule have extra employees hanging around that are not needed.
That's highly illogical. That does more to increase cost and cur profits no one rational would do that.
So for a business to maintain it's profits, it has to cut fat which would be wages because an increase in that part of the cost. So it does boil down to making either more money or protecting the profits.

>>Ability to find cheap slave labor down exponentially this year,

this is a good thing cuck

farmers are the biggest gibsmedats out there

The only reason this is happening is because they don’t want Illegals to be homeless. Get rid of the illegals and minimum wage will just be a footnote while regular wages rise.

Labor demand is at an all time high and labor supply has been already dropping in California. Wages have been steadily increasing way over minimum wage as companies are forced to compete for labor. There is huge money involved at keeping the massive uncontrollable flow of illegals into California.

>lol their workers labor is worth far more
no it's not, if it was, the workers would be able to demand a higher pay, but they're doing simple work which means they are easily replaceable.

you think an engineer at intel works for minimum wage? of course not.

Also this.
Farms said to cover the costs of a $15 mw increase for their field hands, they'd have to pass along a $1.25 increase to their clients.
That means a cucumber than was originally 50 cents each will now be almost $2 each.
Large scale clients like McDonalds already have aneurysms if the price is raised even a nickel. $1.25 would mean they would look outside of the US for their supply.

>your
>debt
Greece was a washning machine for german shark loaners.They own 50% of everything here.Our traitor politicians were their puppets.

because robots

The workers are demanding higher pay. That's why u corporate shills are shilling against them.

Who do you think is doing the work that is enabling those profits? The workers.

Lol conservashits are the most cucked losers on the planet.

Dude you're a fucking retard. I actually have an econ degree and they don't necessarily keep employees around that aren't needed but they will definitely have to adjust their business model to make it work. For example a firm could be on a three shift model with 1 shift barely making any profits, but yet still profiting. You change the cost of overhead and suddenly that shift is no longer profitable and therefore the business will adjust accordingly and end that shift along with the labor hours it provides the economy. You libtards truly amaze me when you actually think you understand a damn thing about economics or how economic studies can be manipulated through econometric processes. Stick to sociology and making up new definitions for terms.

>cost of living is too high
>raise minimum wage
>jobs have fewer opportunities available
>people overall make less money because working less hours
>bring in more immigrants
>demand for housing and resources goes up
>supply of labor increases faster than demand for more labor
>wages stagnate again
>cost of living is too high
>demand higher minimum wage

Overall it's a pathway to making everyone poor