Who are your favorite artists? I really love the works of Naoyuki Tsuji, his charcoal animation really fits the trippy...

Who are your favorite artists? I really love the works of Naoyuki Tsuji, his charcoal animation really fits the trippy, stream of consciousness like stories.

Yoshinari You

Ohira. Kurosaka Keita for indie.

Are you the 3x3 guy with Wanwa and Midori-ko on your chart?

Yes, I am.

Cool coincidence but also kind of sad that the other time I meet someone who would know who Kurosaka is, it's the same guy.

I'm bad with names, but that guy who was lead animator at Tokyo Godfathers is awesome.

I've been shilling for him in 3x3 threads for a while now but I don't really expect many people to get interested in indie anime.

Naoko Yamada

Well, I usually get people mad when I post my indie 3x3. I kind of hoped people would ask for titles and check them out. But I ended up being called a try-hard and a hipster.

Then be less of a try-hard and hipster?

This hurt my feelings.

Buck up, buttercup. You either cut the hipster shit or just keep crying over your Geidai clips and Anonymoose collections.

I'll do the later, it's more fun.

Yup, you keep telling yourself that.

You keep telling yourself it's not true.

Boku no Kubo.

Osamu Tezuka could be good when getting "experimental" but every time he tried to draw something realistic, detailed and pretty (possibly the most important keyword is "pretty") it was REALLY bad. The cartoony moments in 1001 Nights are really good but the designs in the more "serious" moments are repulsive.

But I fucking love cartoony Tezuka and he could also draw stylized creepy things really well (pic related also the Assassin's Creed glitch animals from Alabaster).

Also Ishinomori was really good and better than Tezuka at stylistic variety

He drew this as a teenager

Monkey Punch started off good then became amazing

Hiroyuki Imaishi is probably the best living cartoonist in Japan (but note that I have a very strict definition of "cartoonist", it has to be cartoony & humorous looking)

Yoshinari is my second favorite from that clique

Wanwa is fantastic but a lot of "artsy" anime seems really gay to me. Like for example that "Keiicihi Tanaami" drawing there makes me want to never touch anything by the guy.

Really Ohira's style isn't that "indie", he's worked on and used his style on some pretty mainstream projects. Then there was that Panty & Stocking episode that he didn't work on but was intentionally Ohira-style.

I'll never understand why people like Wanwa so much.

It just looks and moves in a way that's really, really fun. It's about childish creativity so the style becomes the substance.

It's also probably the best "simple children's drawing"-esque art style I've seen

Also don't worry, outside of a handful of people most don't like it. I like to check on MAL to see what general internet anime fans think and they were very "meh" on it.

I've actually went through almost all of the available works from the artists on that list. My experience is that the best way to enjoy their works is watch their shot chronologically. They almost all get better over time with one or two exceptions. Keiichi Tanami was far from my favorite of the bunch but at least he did make some works that had some trippy, fluid animation later on.

I love how the moving elements merge with the background. You see this sometimes in western production, where you have no outlines and the backgrounds are colored just like the characters but in anime you almost never see that.