What the fuck did I just watch?

What the fuck did I just watch?

Other urls found in this thread:

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/5980/animated-fighting-flcl-hiroyuki_imaishi
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The final scene of I THINK I CAN I THIN I CAN.
After that little busters starts playing, that ost was so good.

PeNgU1N oF d00m: The Anime

""Life"" itself.
Girls ""hit"" boys' head suddenly and go somewhere

Looks like someone didn't understand it

overrated garbage

A coming of age story about puberty with a bunch of wacky shit happening.

It's really not that hard to understand.

If you don't get FLCL's story the first around just watch it twice and it'll make sense

Fans and haters alike think it's "random" like this tard but but it really isn't, even the literal story comes together even if it's not the focus

WE'RE THE KIDS SICK OF THE FUTURE

But basically

N.O. channels are defined by maturity

Haruko wants to build an N.O. strong enough to pull Atomsk out of Medical Mechanica's grasp, Amaro is a huge manchild and Naota is pretty mature for his age but suffers from teenage pretentiousness and try-hardness up until the end when he outgrows that by admitting he likes Haruko who his pretentious side saw as a horrible adult baby as opposed to just someone who doesn't give a fuck

Pretty much everything that happens is not about "story" but metaphorical and about Naota (or Ninamori's, in ep 3) development

It's a good show narratively and there's nothing really like it; Utena has some elements with arguably rougher execution but Enokido has never written anything nearly as good since FLCL. Watching Star Driver was depressing.

"it's not random" =/= "it's deep"

you're dumber than a brick dude

Gainax opening the faults of fuck it,

The greatest anime of all time.

Chuu boy needs to be dead. Single most obnoxious thing.

the fuck does that even mean?

Cucked: The Animation

Anime about how you shouldn't trust crazy bitches who will dump you the second they find someone with a bigger dick.

This basically

Haruko is still a top tier waifu and don't you deny it

But Naota's is huge though. In fact that's probably the reason. Haruko knew that once Naota grows up, he'll literally split her in half. It ain't easy being big in Japan...

Lol so Random : The Animation.

But Haruko was always in love with Atomsk, Naota just happened to be his vessel

I did appreciate that Naota was smart enough to get over Mamimi's worthless ass later on. Had to have felt fucking good splashing those DSLs with his moped in the rain.

A metaphor for the fun youth you failed to live.

Space Puberty

Worst anime of all time. Fuck you for reminding me that this pissshit exists. I hope all who made this get cancer.

Why THE FUCK was this allowed?

Was it molestation?

Yes. Worst girl is worst.

Not all molestation is bad.

It is when she's not molesting you, but just your older brother through you.

NTRing little kids the show

why'd she call him Taco?

Question. What is the significance of eyebrows in this anime? I don't think I quite got it.

>Haruko was always in love with Atomsk
>Naota got cucked by Atomsk
You guys are missing the point the same way Amaro did in the show.

She wanted to absorb Atomsk's power, not fuck a giant bird.

Because she didn't see him as a person and it was a nice, cute little pet name to keep him as her little plaything. Same reason she called both her pets Taco.

Ta-kun*

Oh yeah, I bet she wanted to "absorb" Atomsk's "power". Metaphorically speaking.

Big eyebrows = hairiness = manliness

Basically Amaro was insecure about his masculinity.

The fake eyebrows represent false masculinity. Amarao tries to look and act like a manly ladies' man, but his facade comes off instantly after Haruka starts busting his balls.

Watch the DVD commentary dude. Nakashima himself says the entire point was that Amaro was wrong in assuming Atomsk is a guy she was in love with. Amaro was the guy who got cucked and thus he was obsessed with the idea that Atomsk is some big manly buff guy that's better than him and that Haruko wants to fuck.

I got it without listening to the commentary but I guess you need extra help.

girl in the USSR shirt was my first fap

Rate my taste

>not fapping the minute Haruko appeared on screen

naoto seemingly absorbed atmosk in the literal sense. why would she being using a sexual innuendo in response?

She's best girl, but what the fuck were you even fapping to? The bath scene?

FLCL is presented in a chaotic way to mirror the confusion Naota was feeling, not to be "deep". If you're paying attention you can get everything pretty easily with multipla watches; I was 13 when I first watched it and I got it pretty easily.

It's not "le deep" that makes it good, it's just the way it's extremely skillfully and thoughtfully executed. Aside from some of the references nothing really feels arbitrary, everything from the use of music to the way the backgrounds are drawn and colored is purposeful.

That's why I find it weird when people say it's just a zany comedy anime. Even if you just watch episode 1, if you compare the amount of wackyzany moments to the amount of moments of atmosphere or angst the latter outweights the comedy. I mean why the fuck would a show that's just meant to be zany have such Only Yesterday-esque backgrounds that are obviously meant to give off a vibe of hazy nostalgia?
Ninamori's nice but Haruko is my favorite girl

Scene in the school where a medicamechanica bot takes over, there's a part where Kanti pulls on her dangling leg, and accidentally slides off her panties, leaving a shot of her bare ass if you caught it/paused at the right time.

Jesus, man, that's like two or three frames. You had to have had some serious pause skills. I applaud you.

You can go frame-by-frame easily with specific applications, and Imaishi's animation doesn't use a lot of frames

It's very easy to notice: sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/5980/animated-fighting-flcl-hiroyuki_imaishi

When he said it was his first fap, I'm assuming he had a VHS of it or something.

Can't remember if it was my first or not, but it was definitely a landmark moment

>VHS
FLCL isn't that old dude, people already downloaded shows in Adult Swim days. They probably used peer-to-peer applications instead of torrents though (I did at least)

How could anyone going through puberty at the time not notice it? There's a whole bit where Canti has to put her shorts back on, nevermind that it's the same scene where Naota gets leglocked by her

I'm losing track of my years. Everything goes by so fast.

I'm not the first guy, i'm the one that mentioned the scene. Yes, it was a recorded VHS with all the episodes, and all the old adult swim bumps.

DVD players weren't in everyone's home until like 2006 though, I imagine they probably printed VHS's of fooly cooly.

last dinosaur is the best track and and everything else is still good but not as great

True.

Except I'd say Funny Bunny is fairly close.

I'm sad this thread died so quickly.

Mixed blessing. These threads will never be good once the new FLCL sees the light of day.

Coming of age story with heavy sexual themes.
If it helps you figure it out, look at it like this:
>If Shinji was straight and a pussy, he would be Naota
>If Shinji was straight and not a pussy, he would be Simon
>If Shinji was gay and not a pussy, he would be Utena.

What if Shinji is gay and a pussy?

then he'd be Shinji

He would be just Shinji

Please do not bully the Shinji.

2Deep4Hu

>Sentinel's Canti last rerelease was three years ago already
>around 300$ for one now

too late

Garbage.

Whoa... so this... is the taste of summer Sup Forums...

>If Shinji was straight and a pussy, he would be Naota
But Naota becomes smug and overtly self-assured after episode 4.
I hugely doubt anyone will seriously think new FLCL is better than old FLCL, that it will replace it in popularity or that Sup Forums people will say "old FLCL is overrated shit, the new one is better" (unless ironic or trolling). Not only is FLCL very well made, it also has a huge nostalgia shield; new FLCL is only being made for old fans. People might like S2 if it's decently executed as a "yeah this is cute" way but I doubt it will replace the original.

But honestly I dunno if it will even be well executed. It's not even the same staff and the only reason it's even being made is that Cartoon Network wanted it, not because someone loved FLCL enough to want to create a follow-up. It will probably feel very phoned in. Even Sadamoto doesn't like the idea of FLCL 2.

Haruko wasn't in love with Atomsk. She just wanted his power.

>Watching Star Driver was depressing
At least you didn't watch Captain Earth

I didn't because it just looked utterly generic. Star Driver looked like it COULD have been something special and clever in a FLCL/Utena-esque way but Captain Earth just made me think "oh, a modern mecha anime".

I understand that reference.

I still think you're full of shit.

>Watching Star Driver was depressing
Watching Star Driver with Sup Forums was wonderful.

I dropped it and watched Panty & Stocking with Sup Forums instead and had more fun.

I realized SD was not very good when I realized I actually cared for the characters in Panty & Stocking more and its rare attempts at heartwarming moments were actually more effective than SD's.

>Cartoon Network wanted it, not because someone loved FLCL enough to want to create a follow-up

But they really did love FLCL, that's why they're funding it.

Even then, this is really going to come down to how Production I.G. handles it. No amount of money that Toonami's going to throw at them is going to make the studio put their heart in it. It really needs the heart, or else it's going to come out terrible.

I think it was funded more because it was a popular show and as of late there's a trend in bringing back nostalgic properties. The second half of your post though is pretty much the point I wanted to make.

I don't expect it to be narratively as good but what I'm more afraid of is how badly they might fuck up the visuals. FLCL is the best digitally-colored anime I can think of off the top of my head and the fact that it was made in 2000 is absolutely amazing; I don't think modern anime staff could do something that good.

Hell I dunno if even the same episode director could be as good today. Imaishi for example went downhill hugely over the past years, if he made an episode now I'd fear it would be too annoyingly ironic and not totally honest, painstakingly-executed wackiness.

>I think it was funded more because it was a popular show and as of late there's a trend in bringing back nostalgic properties. The second half of your post though is pretty much the point I wanted to make.
The CN staff have stated on multiple occasions that they believe FLCL was the best thing they ever put on Toonami, and possibly the best thing they've every aired period. I wouldn't call their funding of this cynical unless you had some evidence to back that up.

>Imaishi for example went downhill hugely over the past years, if he made an episode now I'd fear it would be too annoyingly ironic and not totally honest, painstakingly-executed wackiness.
Imaishi made Space Patrol Luluco this year, which is fairly similar in style to FLCL though it has more focus on the wacky referential humor.

Puberty as recreated by aliens and robots

I kinda wish FLCL had more meta shit like the slow-motion gag or the mention of the manga-style animation.

Luluco is only superficially FLCL-like and is what I meant by annoyingly ironic. And it relied too much on references, an entire episode was just Sex & Violence with Machspeed all over again but with zero animation and Luluco characters copypasted in.

How long did that shit run on Adult Swim with only 6 episodes?

Did you watch the entire show?

Yeah. How is it FLCL-like in an in-depth way?

In the way that it mixes the goofyness and referential humor with actual themes. I think FLCL does it better, but Luluco is still a fantastic show imo.

I think Luluco is too focused on being wacky at all times to be comparable. I also feel that it didn't focus enough on the themes; the references in FLCL were worked into the story but a huge chunk of Luluco was literally just crossovers.

FLCL had a ton of dead serious scenes but Luluco feels like an Imaishi comedy. I'd say Gurren Lagann is far, far more comparable to FLCL and also miles better than Luluco. Its writing style is actually extremely similar, it does to human evolution what FLCL did to puberty but the fans are generally too manipulated by the "it's just mindless plotless fun" online consensus to notice this.

it's an onomatopoeic sound for kissing

TTGL isn't human enough. It's too abstract and distant from the actual characters to really be comparable to FLCL.

>it does to human evolution what FLCL did to puberty
I mean, "human evolution" is a bit of a broader and more complex subject than puberty. TTGL is not like FLCL in the sense that TTGL isn't really a single giant allegory about something in real life, unless your idea of the "evolution" portrayed in the show is actual, literal human evolution in which case TTGL has a really skewed and childish perspective (for the record I don't think this is what the show was trying to do).

10% of the show is Naota being accosted by older women.

PS2s were the DVD players in everyone's home before 2006.

I still use my PS3 as a dvd player.

Something...
Something amazing.

Nothing amazing ever happens.

I wonder if the MC for season 2 wants a normal life because her life is chaotic, and then learns to embrace the absurdity of her life.

I really don't think the story was really ever the main point of FLCL. FLCL was Gainax's first foray into fully digital animation and was basically just an oversized showcase… something for the animators and colorists to stretch themselves on. It's kinda in the same category as Daicon IV (which also wasn't really about the story).

But both grew into something more, user.

Outstanding