Why do some people like surreal anime, is it just natural for certain people to like ugly shit?

Why do some people like surreal anime, is it just natural for certain people to like ugly shit?

>is it just natural for certain people to like ugly shit?

Yes, op. That means there is still hope for you.

Surrealism is reality distorted. It's ugly by definition.

yeah but it's not shit

I liked Angel's Egg because of its awesome atmosphere,not its 2dee4u message or surrealism

>its message
what message?
People always say Oshii's movies have a message but they can rarely point out what it is in a convincing way.

Some shit about Oshii abandoning his Christian faith or some shit. At least that's what an analysis i read said.

What?
Angel's Egg was faith and the opposition of coscious and elightened faith to blind faith based purely on practice
Patlabor literally spells it out multiple times throughout the film "just war vs. unjust peace". Plus in general the nature of terrorisma and the state.
Ghost in the Shell is about the nature of identity in a transhumanist world.

those are THEMES, not MESSAGES.

Jesus fucking christ no wonder you guys call everything pretentious, you aren't even able to distinguish between "a movie is about something" and "a movie tries to tell you something".

Surrealism leads to a really good atmosphere

>"a movie tries to tell you something"

Do yourself a favour and stop thinking like this.

>is it just natural for certain people to like ugly shit?
Well, your dad likes your mom, user.
And they both like you.

Tell that to this guy he's the one who thinks Angel's Egg has a message, not me.

All anime is reality distorted. Is all anime ugly?

>Surrealism is reality distorted
Not necessarily. It's the illogical or intangible expressed through tangible means. Surrealism is best described as dreamlike.

It can be a reality distorted but even then that doesn't make it ugly. Almost all fiction is a distorted version of reality to some degree. Action movies and romance novels have people behaving differently than they would in the real world. Even physical laws relax to make way for the plot. Anime is an even more radical example for obvious reasons. But just because these things are distorted that doesn't make them ugly, in many cases it's what makes them beautiful.

You say it's ugly, but look at that hair.

wonderful yoshitaka hair

You suck at reading comprehension. He already said he likes it for the atmosphere NOT the message or whatever.

You suck at reading comprehension.
His post implies that Angel's egg has
-atmosphere
-a message
-surrealism
and that he only likes the first item.

Dude, the surrealism is a big part of the atmosphere. You may not care about art stuff or looking artsy but thats the stuff that makes the movie cool.

oh shit this

I would argue that the movie could have been almost as cool-looking without the surreal elements, because it would still have
-good direction
-gorgeous character designs
-beautiful coloring and light effects
-a great soundtrack

Well I think most moe art styles are ugly as fuck so maybe.

All art is reality distorted, thus all art is shit.