The End of Isekai

Will we finally see the end of the SAO clones?

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-06-30/short-story-contest-bans-traveling-to-an-alternate-world-fantasy/.103755

>One currently running Japanese short story contest, a collaboration between Bungaku Free Market and Shousetsuka ni Narou (...) has announced that it will not be accepting any submissions with plots about "traveling to alternate worlds" or "being reincarnated into other worlds."

>According to the contest website, any genre is allowed, including fantasy, horror, and drama, but only alternate worlds are banned.

Other urls found in this thread:

someanithing.com/4324
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Give it a year or 2

Good I´m sick of this shit.

I wouldn't want to read some sperg's fantasy about how he goes to a new world and bangs a horny tiger chick either.

>Alternate world comes to MC instead
Checkmate.

Narou banning isekai won't make the works any higher quality. Isekai is not an absolute requirement for many of the tropes that make works within the genre so terrible (lazy videogame mechanics, Gary Stu protagonists with cheat powers, haremshit, etc).

Actually, banning isekai will probably just bring back the magic highschool genre or perhaps boost the Attack on Titan clone genre.

Kek, so it got that bad heh.

How do you like your Isekino, Sup Forums?

Do you like the protagonist to face legitimate challenges, or do you like the ones where he's overpowered to the point where the author just does whatever the fuck he feels like?

In the case of the latter, I'm enjoying Ore to Kawazu.

>A single short story contest

It's a start but given their popularity, this is not particularly damning evidence that the trend is coming to an end.

What's the next genre that's going to replace isekai?

whos ready for the i woke up with amnesia genre to boom? its not a new world.

I will never stop being amazed that there's still scanlation groups that think this looks presentable in any way.

It's a contest run by narou, the primary website where this genre gained its monstrous traction. So there's that.

>they submit reverse isekai plot instead

Devils a part timer is the new norm

>MC has always lived in the alternate world, but only memories about our world got transplanted into him

>the protagonist dies in a different world

What if, instead of going to a different world, the protagonist's existing world suddenly changes into a fantasy world?

jesus christ what a fucking cancerous thread

please delete this thread

where is the fucking moderation of this forgotten board?

There's a lot of potential in that, but you'd have to spend several volumes world building before starting with the actual story, or the whole thing is wasted.

kumo did that already

>boom
More like a retro resurgence. Kind of like how Strike the Blood was a weird retro throwback to mid-00s urban fantasy series like Index and Shana and Fate/stay night.

>transported to our world, he goes on a journey to find gainful employment and promotions

Although this was already an anime.

What the mc goes back in time then comes back to the future and everything has changed? As long as he is not in an alternate timeline and in fact changed his own timeline; would that be ok?

Your suggestion is incompatible with your use of the word "timeline".

Exactly, you would need multiple mcs at that stage too.

The twist: every single submission is actually just discarded Kamachi product because none of the new generation of narou-raised writers knows how to write anything else and of the old generation only Kamachi shits out sufficiently large volumes of crap that he never bothers to get published.

I like it when the events, plot, and characters don't focus on wanking the MC. Even a legitimate challenge won't fix things if characters are all shits that are shown up by MC or exist to fellate the MC.

> Re Zero
> SAO clone
> Isekai
> SAO clones
> Isekai
> Sub-genre of fantasy
> SAO clone
> VRMMO
> Sci-fi=Fantasy
Why do I bother?

Wow its gotten this bad

(you)

What if mc just freezes him self in a cyrogenics pod and wakes up 100,000 years in a future were magic has been invented by scientists and crocodiles have evolved into dragons?

Lazy sci-fi IS just fantasy though.

>100,000 years
Way too far.
2050 is already crawling with elves and orcs and a dragon that is trying to become the president of America.

It never said to have a story about fantasy. As long as we have gems like these, I'm all up for it. I wonder if Nanasawa-san will enter.

Even mecha can be isekai.

Something similar to this?

What if MC is abducted by aliens to another planet within our universe that happens to be a fantasy planet? It's not another world, just another star system.

Then those aliens have a good excuse ready because he's going to be pissed!

is that translated yet? I feel like i've been waiting for something that is not going to happen.

>MC lives in fantasy world
>its actually deep future and all the magic is sufficiently advanced technology and monsters are failed genetic/nanotechnology experiments

I want generic fantasy anime that doesn't involve shitty neet MCs.

What is this about?

Sounds like it'll be universally liked. Will it have an English translation?

Kind of Utawarerumono but not really.

Do want, either way.

What about someone from another world traveling to ours?

>it's a super long title LN
Preemptively dropped.

Without papers, he would never get past the immigration office.

I'm really fucking tired of isekai.

Like I feel that Isekai is to the 10s what shitty VN adaptations were in the early-mid 00s. Just make it fucking stop already

> Not even doing it correctly.
(You).

>gate between modern and fantasy world opens
>it envelopes whole of both world, oppenning rifts all over the place
>fantasy world has magic and monsters that are capable to stand toe to toe with modern weapons
>chaos ensues
>10 years later, things have so-so stabilized in new world that has both modern technology and magic

I'm sure there must be something like this.

Is there a harem involved?

No. All girls MC meets either have boyfriends or are not interested in him.
But there is bromance with his best bro.

Mecha is a sub-genre of Sci-fi to begin with. And Muv-Luv was more Science Fantasy. How did you categorize mecha with isekai? What kind of idiot logic is that?

Kekkai sensen in a way.

I think they are putting the cart ahead of the horses. The problem is not that there is too much isekai, the problem is that the existing isekai is mostly garbage-tier quality writing.

I much prefer "isekai comes to real world" anwyay

Here's the thing

Isekai is not bad on it's own. The problem isn't the genre itself. I mean there are many classic anime that are isekai. The problem is that all the isekai have fucking harems in them. It's like they create this world and have potential and all that and it gets squandered because harem shenanigans and/or MC becomes OP as fuck. There is good isekai out there but not the garbage that gets popular or animated

>How long I’d been here, I couldn’t quite recall. From this sorry situation, I as always raised my eyes to the sky; a sky in which the great, massive sun was clad in levity. Sunlight poured gently upon all. What a blessing it would have been for the world if only the skies could remain clear. For tomorrow too, and for all days to come, I was to continue to pray for calm. To endure for those who cried, with desperation I remained in prayer.

>And then, one freezing, forlorn, soulless, stagnant, drizzly day we died. Or so I thought…

"Coming to america" the LN

Time to introduce the "magical world teleports itself around the MC" genre

>protagonist believes he's in the real world but it's actually just a disguise the machines pulled over his eyes

What about MC waking up in high school idol world?

moeshit is garbage

That sounds like generic LN synopsis. Any more details?

It's a good step forward

Now we just need to get rid of the "High school battle harem LN" genre and we might be moving forward

Aikatsu isekai?

Remake this and make the demon lord actually act a demon lord instead of a regular shitty MC and we might be getting somewhere.

It's isekai if the protagonist is transported to another world that has mecha in it, like what happens in MuvLuv.

Honestly by this logic they should ban every novel with "MC is an ordinary high school student" in it.
Seems to me like one of the organizers was mad Kirito pumped his waifu 2 years worth of semen.

Maybe the amount of isekai is really too much that it became isekai contest rather than short story contest and that's what they don't want?

And he ends up in prison in first half of second episode.

>Generic LN synopsis.
Yeah, it sure has the usual guy becoming some skeleton, being transported somewhere, being part of some battle school. Yup, it sure looks like it (not).

They should ban chuuni haremtarsh too

>the matrix is an isekai wuxia vrmmo

Jesus Christ that movie was really ahead of its time.

But that would literally kill the LN market

But then what would they submit ?

Good.

So what's the next big cliched setting is going to be?

I think it's about time they start copying battle royale and all those shitty american "experiment on teens bullshit" books like divergent and maze runner.

Could make for some nice trainwrecks.

It has guy reincarnating after dying. So it is generic death loop.

Actually it is another world, planet and world are synonyms

John Locke's pursuit of happiness.

>Isekai
>SAO clones
Nigger, you're a retard.

You mean Danganronpa?

>will not be accepting any submissions with plots about "traveling to alternate worlds" or "being reincarnated into other worlds."

Well then.

That was more Science Fantasy. And besides, Muv-Luv is terrible.

>guy
Nope.
>reincarnation
Nope.

The author just really likes to use confusing purple prose and in the synopsis. It generally doesn't make sense until you actually read the thing.

This probably seemed tedious as the person reading all these to needlessly have that first bit be about going from our world to another. If you want to write a story in a fantasy world write one about a fantasy world, why does the MC have to be from our world?

Is chuuni even a real thing? I thought it was just being in the emo phase. Do people really act like that in real life and outside of Japan?
I've finished watching chu2 like 2 days ago and my god was in fucking painful to watch.
Only things that kept me going were ShinkaXDekomori interactions

Oh, this means time loop reincarnations are still valid, right? Those are pretty fun.

Attack on Titan is just a clone of Claymore, which is just a clone of Berserk.

I was being sarcastic.

Yeah could me nice, just not rushed 13 episode shit.

Then whats the fucking point of the synopsis?

Isekai shows are the most selling ones this year

someanithing.com/4324

You can add Re;zero to that list

How about trolling this contest? Submit a work that isn't isekai, they turn it into isekai in the second volume.

We went from action LNs, to battle harem high school LNs to isekai (though battle harem still shows up). So I bet the next trend will be urban fantasy harem LNs.

Self insert.

What if mc lives in a fantasy world but lost his memories and has false memories of living in a place that doesn't exist called Japan.

Obviously they're getting tired of the 'MC transported to a different world' (in a magical sense) genre. Wonder if they will allow a loophole, instead of the whole 'MC gets pulled over', they would accept 'MC's super spaceship accidently crash lands in a fantasy setting. With the MC using all of his advance tech'

>Attack on Titan is just a clone of Claymore
You mean Muv Luv