What were the creators of LotGH thinking...

What were the creators of LotGH thinking? Are japanese people just really dense in general that they need these kinds of things explained to them? It's not like this show is the only one that has this kind of blatant exposition.

Lurk Sup Forums and you'll note that people miss vital information even if it is explained several times in a show.

Why is he using a quill? I thought it was in the future.

Narration has more purpose than just the words it communicates, it's supposed to give things a more objective sense of weight and drama. Sometimes there's redundant exposition as a result but they probably just want to fill in time to keep that feeling going, like there's enough gravity to the situation that a 3rd party is observing it.

I think that would have a purpose in a book or if it was something related to the scene, not exactly what we see on screen at the moment. It's not like I'll think the character is excersising their palms with what he's doing. It's obvious he's frustrated. I've seen narration done well in anime like in Tatami Galaxy, where it actually added to the show. In LotGH, it's useless and what's even worse, often spoils the show.

Even nowadays you'll notice there are plenty of fads and traditions inherited or recycled from the past that are still a thing even though they have no reason to be.

I think their intention was never to make an adaptation of the novels, but to illustrate it. It's obvious because the "show don't tell" implicit rule is almost never respected.

With LoGH in particular it's supposed to feel like a historical documentary, it does more for the atmosphere than the actual storytelling.

But even then it could be done more skilfully. For examples sometimes the narrator said something like "In the future he became known as X". That does add to that feel. Stating a character is frustrated when it's obvious doesn't. Not to mention the narrator even spoiled the death of a character before.

This 100%

Well, I did say that it's redundant and they probably just wanted to fill in time in this particular instance. It's likely they included the line to stick with their ongoing narration (maybe it's from the novel?) rather than because they thought the audience needed an explanation.

The direction is pretty consistently mediocre throughout the series, but in general I think the narration was a solid choice and gave it the right impression so I'm glad it's there even if it wasn't always valuable information.

>It's obvious because the "show don't tell" implicit rule is almost never respected.
Damn, perhaps you've just explained my vague distaste fot this anime. I felt something's wrong, apart from the more obvious points, but just couldn't put my finger on it. Now I get it. It's just an audiobook with mostly shit animation, and I've always hated audiobooks. I sit down to watch a visually told story (which I enjoy as a cinephile and animufag), but instead I get just a story illustrated with images. So I feel cheated, and that's why I can't finish LoGH.

Hope they do better in the reboot.

Just fucking read the books

People are praising the anime not the books.

LoGH is written for high schoolers that have just for the first time read the dictionary definition of politics. It's one of the least subtle shows I've attempted to watch, and makes me cringe every time it tries to say something "smart".

So much this, also LoGH fancreatures who don't realize that are extremely annoying.

Not everyone lives in a country where you can buy them. I personally am waiting til they are free to pirate, cause no way I'm paying for what might turn out cringeworthy outdated trash.

Because feather quills are fucking dapper yo.

>Still creating LoGH threads in 2016

top kek

For a sec i thought in was in for a drcent logh debate, but its turned out to be another excuse for shitpost.

With that claim, then i should have the liberty to call out Dune is mediocre and pretentious.

I haven't read it, so I wouldn't know.

People still don't know the plot and symbolism in Evangelion and you're genuinely asking this?