So I just watched the new Berserk anime. Did you ever wonder what Berserk would be like if it hit the mainstream...

So I just watched the new Berserk anime. Did you ever wonder what Berserk would be like if it hit the mainstream? I've read fans saying it would be neutered it because of the rapes, naked demon lolis, insane amount of gore, and also the amount of time and money it would take to make the effects needed to make a Berserk show anime or live action.
Well this anime shows that theory to be correct. This is Berserk meeting the mainstream. They have completely taken out the Lost Children arc and the 3D effects are low quality, and they are rearranging entire scenes and characters.

This fucking Opening. I am offended at it while liking it at the same time. It is a nice montage of Berserk scenes and is animated well enough (I have seen the stills of the QUALITY scenes from the opening, they are not very noticeable in motion) and its nice to see it in action. If this was a fan made short it would be amazing. As an opening to an official Berserk show it is maddening.
They have taken the entire Eclipse and events within and reduced it to a Saturday morning cartoon show opening. They fucking highlight Femto graphically raping Casca in it for fuck sake. In the opening of a show. I don't understand what they were trying to achieve here. It cheapens the effect of this scene and also spoils it for any person who would want to read the manga after seeing this.

I am sure many Berserk fans have wondered how Miura would redo the Black Swordsman arc if he had a chance since it was the first arc and seemed widely out of character for Guts as his personality had not been as established after Golden Age arc and Miura had likely not even thought of most of Guts' later party members. For better or worse this is as close as we will ever get.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uqW70DsZpVw
archive.is/XhuU6
youtube.com/watch?v=cRgWP-TmOnc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Griffith with a red clowns nose
Fitting.

They introduce Ishidro as a lackey following a bandit gang which is out of place and out of character but it is an effective way of establishing this character early on for an unfamiliar audience. As a Berserk fan it sucks to see such huge leaps of convenience to the plot and I expect a lot more of this through the series.

Guts' personality has also been taken down a notch. He does not kill the bandits to save Ishidro and just punches them out. He comes off as a typical anime silent brooding hero in this which is kind of expected if they are trying to appeal to a mass audience. With the crazy opening highlighting rape its insane they can't let Guts be Guts.

I will say that as a Berserk show, I wanted better. I don't think this is as terrible as it is being made out to be on here but it is not what Berserk deserves. The still pics that are being posted around are horrible but it doesn't stand out as much as staring at the pic on an image board does. I did not even notice most of them in the show unless I had to try to pause it on the exact scene.
The CG is horrible but its on par with 2d scenes of the same quality. It just looks extra odd because it is a 3d figure standing there unreacting or because of robotic 3d movement.

I don't know what the future episodes will be like but we all can agree its gonna be Berserk lite with low quality animation. I don't really hate it but I really don't love it. I just wanted to share this with any other Berserk fans who might feel the same.

omg fuck you now i can't unsee.

I read the first manga arc, can I watch the first episode? Probably gonna watch the movies next while reading the manga.

Just watched it... was under the impression this arch started with Guts fucking a demon gal or something.
Kept watching just the same... the tone, the cinematography if you want to call it something it's all wrong, it's like apathetic and somehow it just doesn't transmit the horrors of GUTS world.

It's not just the shitty art... it fails to convey any emotion at all.

No the new anime takes place three arcs later than you currently are
everything will be spoiled for you, and some things won't make sense because they retconned them in the anime

Griffith looks like a clown in that picture

David Production should animate Berserk.

Should I read the manga? I've seen the 90's anime, the Golden Age arc and this first ep. Seems like people are always going on about how much better it is.

How can you watch the 90s anime and the movies but never read the manga?
Did you not care what happened to Guts and Casca after the Eclipse?
That's one of the worst cliffhangers in history

>Berserk
>Not mainstream
I want Sup Forums to leave.

I was under the impression that this 2016 anime was meant to follow right after. I was wrong.

Berserk isn't mainstream.
In fact most people won't watch the whole thing.
This new anime is fine, and I won't judge it on the first episode.
I'm not a massive fan of how they handle the CG but I like just about everything else.
This is already gaining popularity, and I will be happy to see it become mainstream. but you ask your average fan of manga and they don't know what the hell Berserk is.

Not sure yet, they might pull a Gungrave and show a little bit from the middle first.

>This new anime is fine

You are pretty deluded to think Berserk is mainstream. Star Wars is mainstream. Game of Thrones in mainstream. Attack on Titan is mainstream. Even One Punch Man has become mainstream.

Berserk is known only among people who are in the anime or japanese geek culture.

Berserk is one of the most well-known seinen manga of all time. Literally everybody knows about it. It is the polar opposite of mainstream. Please lurk moar or leave.

Lol

>Opinion
>Kill urself!!
K

literally all my normie friends watched berserk so yeah it's mainstream sorry dude

Just because all your ironic weeaboo internet pals don't know about it doesn't mean it isn't mainstream. It is very, VERY well known in pretty much every manga circle.

You are insane, everytime I try and hold a conversation about Berserk either they don't know or don't care.
It's unpopular because it's subject matter you idiot

if you need a palate cleanser from that garbage tier animation, check this out. it's definitely a few notches higher

youtu.be/uqW70DsZpVw

You have to be trolling.
Jesus Christ do you have a agenda to push or something.

>manga circle
that's not mainstream you retard

I can hear how fat you are. Your fucking statement supports what I said you fedora lord.

>was under the impression this arch started with Guts fucking a demon gal or something
It does starts like that in the manga, but I think that not even Miura knew what he was doing and just put it for cheap shock, Guts fucking a demon doesn't makes much sense.

Mainstream does not refer to subject matter at all. All being mainstream means is that it is well known, I.E. the opposite of obscure. And besides, the subject matter is really not unpopular at all for seinen manga.
I'm suggesting that you don't know enough about manga to discern what is mainstream or not.

It follows after the eclipse, but skips most of Black Swordman and the entirety of Lost Children.
And not reading Lost Children would be a waste.

You don't understand what mainstream means. Berserk is popular but how about you go to a random person if they know what dragon ball z is and what berserk is? Even people who hate anime and shit know about dragonball.

The point being made is Berserk is too violent and not family friendly enough to be a a marketable product without butchering what make it liked in the first place.

This anime is trying to do that very awkwardly. It still blows my mind the highlight the rape scene in the opening.

Well i liked that he reused that Demon during the Eclipse.. so it makes kinda sense that Guts knew her trick.

>naked demon lolis
I watched the serie from the 90s but didn't read the manga but looking forward to buy them because the story told in the anime is quite incomplete. But where were those loli demons? Did I miss an episode?

Mostly referring to Rosine.

To any who read manga or follow anime, at least above age fourteen, Berserk is legend.

And AoT and OPM are not mainstream within the realm of the general public.

Just because someone who doesn't have any interest in the medium doesn't know about it doesn't mean it isn't mainstream. That's like saying Kendrick Lamar isn't mainstream because some dude who doesn't really know anything about hip-hop doesn't know him.

You don't get it. I can tell you but I can't understand it for you.
I don't disagree with what you said about it being popular in a manga audience but that does not mean it is for a wider mainstream audience.

I'll borrow what this user said:
Just because it isn't mainstream among the general public doesn't mean it isn't mainstream in its own medium. As far as manga is concerned, Beserk is very mainstream.

Well in the original manga there was always "hawk this hawk that" going on so it's very refreshing in that cover to see them having Griffith get more into the Xmas spirit instead! Much more appealing to general audiences :).

I saw monkeys with more brain than you

goddamn learn to read and comprehend.

So I'm not the only one who saw it.

goddamn it i didn't even notice what you did until i made it bigger.

The artist should have made it higher.

jesus is it even possible to pick a poorer place for the behelit to hang?
he looks like a goddamn clown

I will repeat. For those who follow and enjoy manga, above the age of fourteen or so (and excluding female One Piece readers), Berserk is legend.

It is not simply mainstream, it is a revered object. This is true both in the United States and Japan.

It's not for the general public, and it even has trouble finding financing for a large anime release, because of its content. That's the way of things. And THAT is the issue we face.

Would you kill for an HBO live adaptation of berserk ?

Maybe that is the point I'm trying to covey and you are missing it. When I say mainstream audience I mean showing it on a television show to millions of people who don't know or care what Berserk is.

A manga and anime community is small one to appeal to and not all of that community like or care enough about Berserk. The evidence is what we are witnessing. Low budget movies and shows that are just popular enough with the existing fandom and inner manga circle to justify what we are currently getting.

The point I am making is the team that has introduced this anime is trying to awkwardly balance between what makes existing fans love Berserk with appealing to those who don't know about it and would be turned off by its asshole murdering main character, massive amounts of gore, multiple instances or rape, and child murder and nudity.

Always dreamed about that for years. Now I fear it. The feminzation of Game of Thrones and raping of the source material makes me hope it never happens.

Not really, because Guts wasn't even there when that happened, Gorkus ran into her and she killed him
The only point of that demon early on was to establish Guts as a badass, it's like Indiana Jones using his whip to disarm the guy in the jungle in the beginning or Raiders

In the United States, I'd struggle to say that any anime or manga whatsoever are mainstream. Except for Pokemon. The mainstream audiences of America recognize Pikachu, but not an "Eoten" or even an Evangelion, and that's not going to change.

And that's that.

I don't see any of that as a problem for Berserk. Berserk will remain within its cultural bounds, but it will have much more staying power within them than the typical dubbed fare that sometimes airs on Cartoon Network or is streamed on Crunchyroll. Even if the latter are eventually seen by "millions". It's merely unfortunate that the anime productions of Berserk have only been capable of a moderate budget, and late night airtime. But that's inevitable, too, for the reasons above discussed.

Why would I even wish for one ? The only thing that could work for Berserk is either a high quality 2D or 3D animation movie. And by 3D, I assume more realistic 3D, cell shading doesn't quite fit the tone or the art style of the manga.

4°C's 2D on the movies was actually good, it's really too bad that the 3D was way too mediocre and/or jarring in some scenes.

As well-- I guess we can look forward to a Ghost in the Shell live action flop spoiling our chances of mainstreaming of anime material.

I'd be interesting in seeing it but I have doubts that anyone who had the ability and willingness to do it right would get anywhere near the project

Berserk is fine as it is, a manga. That is the original source material and it does a great job in that medium.
We just want a different medium to show us and others who may not want or like to read manga how great Berserk is. The nwe get shit like this low budget crap and tearing away the story for time and budget reasons which makes Berserk appear to be some awkward cliche story with no substance or personality.

As a fan of Berserk it is just really disappointing but it does not take away from my personal experience or view of the source material.

And to clarify again what I have been saying this whole time, this is what a company would do and has done to Berserk in order to appeal to a wider, a mainstream, audience. They have censored and cut a lot of material for time and money reasons. This is Berserk getting the mainstream treatment.

Ive never read or watched berserk. But this was edgy garbage that i have no idea why is as big as it is. Puck didnt fit the artstyle aswell with his RANDUMB kawaii desu xD style.

but they fucked up JJBA

>I've read fans saying it would be neutered it because of the rapes, naked demon lolis, insane amount of gore
Don't normies love that shit? Isn't GoT full of the same shit and yet it is immensely popular? Or it is because it's animated?

Bait a little more, I can't feel yet

Anyone saying Berserk is not mainstream is a complete retard.

I have been living in three different countries (France, Italy and Brazil) during my life, and in all of them, Berserk as an anime and as a manga is just as popular as Saint Seiya for the longest of times (except for Brazil, Saint Seiya is one of the big three in there, so there's no really how to compare).

Nonetheless, the most famous and popular seinen title in each country.

Not sure about the rest of the world, but most of the posts in the forums I google'd seem to have similar results in other countries.

Just read the manga, but don't read a shitty fan translation. Look for the direct scans from darkhorse.

Got took years to blow up like it has in the last few years. I remember watching the first season closer to when it came out and recommending it to friends who either didn't give it a chance or thought it was OK but didn't watch the whole season. Now they watch it religiously.

Go pick a random person in a crowd and ask if they have ever heard of star wars. Then ask about berserk. Odds are they won't fucking know, you idiot. Even the average person is aware of shit like dragon ball z or Pokemon.

I'd brand of sacrifice every single one of you to get it.

>This new anime is fine

It's about setting the tone to me. Avoiding that scene, however useless it was, really showed how far the adaptation is willing to take it and what the limits are.

I don't expect to see the rape of Farnesse either and the kid demons if they appear at all will be toned down.

Which is too bad because those are the sick things that make the whole dark ages full of demons setting a living hell and that hell is what justifies the debate about Griffith and Falconia at all.

>rape of Farnesse
wat

I was shaking with rage as I watched this shit. How the fuck could they do this. What the hell happened Sup Forums?

>just as popular as Saint Seiya

So you're saying it isn't mainstream. Got it.

>This new anime is fine
if you're deafblind maybe.

>What the hell happened Sup Forums?
Sheer laziness is the only answer I can come up with. Anyone with eyes can see that it looks like shit which leads me to believe that they just didn't care.

You apparently don't live neither in France nor in Italy.

What? A demon rapes her (or possess her to try to rape Guts) and she goes pretty much insane for a while. That's part of the reason she starts doubting her faith and become obsessed with Guts.

Either way i don't expect to see that.

from the thumbnail i thought it's the rainbow sword from the new fate thing

Is similarity with a clown intentional?

Oh, you're talking about when she grinds the Dragon Slayer? I don't know if that qualifies as rape.

Subtle satire, best satire.

Berserk episode 1 review by you know who:

archive.is/XhuU6

I thought this was a Buggy edit from the thumbnail in the catalogue.

on the real though, the shitty things about this adaptation are: poor animation, and incoherent pacing. All the flashback/forward sequences with Schierke and her master, the aftermath of the Eclipse, all of it is shown without context and if you didn't know anything about Berserk a lot of the episode would be gibberish.

Bringing in Ishidro early/cutting out Lost Children isn't bad though. If they were to do a completely faithful adaptation of the manga it would take at least 5-6 series, and we only have one. It makes sense to condense some of the material, and Lost Children doesn't really have much impact on the story arc in general (although it's one of my favorite ones).

>One of Berserk 1997’s first scenes features a girl openly harassed at a tavern forced to lick spilled wine off a table. Guts, predictably, saves her. It’s dull. Perhaps this series’ writers have caught up with the times–the corresponding tavern seen in this episode sees Guts saving a young, aspirant mercenary boy from a similar pack of thugs.

>Berserk as an anime and as a manga is just as popular as Saint Seiya

Nothing is as popular as SS or DB matte.
SS and DB hype people that don't watch anime since they where kids... but the moment a mention is made about "something new" on the franchise they go nuts.

I don't think there are much animes as popular as that, maybe stuff like Evangelion and even that it's a fine line.

Berserk is popular on the community though. I can believe that but it's certainly not aimed to be PG13 even though nowdays is pretty difficult for parents to control anything and thanks to the internet we all have access to most content independently of localization and all that.

kek

Well... Whatever it was it wasn't consensual.

youtube.com/watch?v=cRgWP-TmOnc

>Casca's face in that fucking flashback

every single fucking time, there is always one faggot that overanalize something, the adaptation is a fucking piece of shit, simple as that, there is no need to think any further, it sucks, animation is worse than a ps2 era cutscene, they fucked up character exposition, the music, the combat, every.single.fucking.thing, let this piece of shit adaptation die for its own sake.

And this is why nobody takes them seriously any more. Praise Hulk.

i want Sup Forums to FUCK OFF

I will buy BDs for this series, so they keep shitting out this series for berserkfags

DELETE THIS

>the corresponding tavern seen

>seen
What did the tavern see?

Most people I know who are somewhat into anime know about Berserk.

Our library in middle school had volumes you could check out.