So my understanding is Catalonia is a part of Spain because they joined Crowns through marriage and naturally one...

So my understanding is Catalonia is a part of Spain because they joined Crowns through marriage and naturally one gained more political power and eventually they became one. I don't know what kind of country Catalonia want's to create and can't find anything on that, because I'm a shit researcher and the new election dominates the searches. So please can someone enlighten me on that topic and possibly shed light on my understanding of the origin of them being a part of Spain also.

So many people including conservatives say they deserve to leave if they vote to as did Brexit but brexit isn't a country, this is like California leaving the U.S. Fuck that.

Bump, have to check these satanics.

Back in the 1400's countries never existed as we understand them today. Instead of seeing Spain as a country in the 1400's see it more as a union of crowns like the UK (a country but originally seen as 4 different kingdoms united under one crown) when Isabelle of Castille married Charles the Fifth. So fundamentally Spain is an almagation of different countries instead of a country in itself like the UK.

So was there a war taken place to conquer them and make them a part of Spain? What's their beef with Spain now?

No it was peaceful union of crowns. The problem is that they're two different cultures living in the same country with the historical background of not being a Unified nation state until Franco. Think of Scotland vs England (which has it's own left wing nationalist movement), or North vs South Civil War. Spanish Civil War was based on the same fundamental issues of two different people living in the same nation state. But instead of our civil war where we tried reconstruction imagine that Franco just stuck a bandaid over the problem and ignoring it for 70 years instead of trying reconcilliation and respecting the memory of the Rebels (see Confederate monuments). The fundamental problem is that Franco won but failed to institute any national reconciliation and the same problems that led to the main civil war during WW2 were ignored and are bubbling up to the surface again today.

I've been to Barcelona in the past which is arguably the capital both in culture and in everything else Catalonia and I will say the place does feel different compared to other parts of Spain such as Madrid.

More people speak Catalan (which is a spanish dialect) than Spanish which was daunting to a spanish speaker such as myself, the food is different and everything else just feels different. I remember going to an FC Barcelona game the day me and senpai got off the plane and after the game the crowds of people walked out chanting the anthem of the Club, it was a really nationalistic moment for these people and I can sympathize for them to secede.

So it's just a cultural difference and not a left wing movement to change the political state of Catalonia

Yes, the Crown of Castile and the Crown of Aragon (of which Catalonia was part) united by royal marriage to create Spain. Since then Castile has always tried to dominate the other minor nations in Spain, and Catalonia has been the one always resisting the most.
An independent Catalonia will be a republic, even in the middle ages royalty and nobility weren't that important in Catalonia.

Why the heck did Sup Forums change

>senpai

To senpai?

Do they look different? What foods are different? I've heard people say they are wealthier, why would that be?

because it's neeto for normals

Think of it as cultural difference that manifests itself as a leftwing movement to change the political state of Catalonia. (See IRA, ETA, and other lefty nationalistic rebel movements) If Spain turned communist during the Spanish Civil War Catalonia would've been Fascist

FAMILY, I MEANT TO SAY FA.M AS IN FAMILY, AND I LOSING MY MIND? SOMEONE HELP ME

If that's the case I think Spain has every right to not let them leave and become something they wouldn't want. Giving up land by a vote seems so retarded, especially if they differ politically. Why would anyone think it would work without a civil war, people still fight to conquer today.

Believe what you want. it's up to the Catalans not us. Besides it's not like it's impossible see Brexit and the Scottish Referendum which were done peacefully.

They look like typical Spanish racially, they are more northern so think southern France look. Food is similar but new food that I didn't try in Madrid or Toledo were tapas which is like tiny toast sushi or tiny finger foods.

Bare in mind this is the homeland of many influential architechs and artists so the scenary is really different visually than in other parts of Spain

Brexit wasn't the country seperating, it was leaving a shit union that didn't benefit them

>we're coming up on the 2 year anniversary of that filter being installed

We're very different actually but what happens when a tiny rich region is next to poor big regions? That we got invaded by millions of spanish gibmigrants and now we've become a minority in Catalonia so the differences a tourist can see are very diluted.

>More people speak Catalan (which is a spanish dialect)
It's a language, not a dialect.