Can somebody explain for me the massive obsession of Sup Forums with merch (figure) while refuse buying media (BDs...

Can somebody explain for me the massive obsession of Sup Forums with merch (figure) while refuse buying media (BDs, CDs) because they are "expensive".
Isn't buying media is the most directly way to support the creation? Why Sup Forums hate doing this?

Physical data is outdated, I'd rather have a nice fig than a disk I'll never watch.

cuz theyre neets lmao they dont have money to buy anything lmao

This implies us buyfags don't buy DVDs/BDs.
We do, however for the price of some of the BDs we could get a figure.

Lol

Figures are collectible and can be displayed. Buying BDs is usually reserved for when you are a big fan of the series and plan on rewatching it, or simply want to own it. Sup Forums is also obsessed with thinking they can support creators directly, so they will avoid dubs and subs often since it's not like the studios really get a piece of that, and in the case of manga, volume releases are so much slower than scans most of the time that people simply forget they even exist.
That said, it's not like people don't collect BDs or manga. I'm fairly certain many user at least regularly buy manga and a few still collect anime. However, with Sup Forums being a community that generally moves from shows season to season, and official sub/dub BDs coming out months or even years after a series ended, it isn't a surprise if people refrain from collecting simply because they don't know of existence.
I don't believe many people keep up with English releases of anime.

Sup Forums isn't a hivemind.

Buying media only encourages creation of more anime. The anime studios may give you anything, as long as it's high enough quality for you to buy it.
Buying merch also encourages taking the industry in a desirable direction. It encourages the anime studios to add more waifu bait to sell more figurines and hug pillows. It directly takes control of the direction of every single anime, and contributes more do deciding what genres of anime are made, and how the stories are written.

I never said it was about those shitty dub by Funi, those are pure cancer in their own right and buying them only enrich the jews.
The only kind of BDs that buyfags will buy is the imported one. And they are not that expensive compare to fig. Some of them also have really nice build quality too. And buyincheon ng give the creators considerable amount of money. So why not?

This why no season 2 of watamote because people like you.

I only buy what I like and go through with it if I start.
For example the MonMusu BDs I imported.
Also, it sold like shit and I only need to look at my past if I want to see cringy shit.

>I only buy what I like
That is the only answer that should and will always matter.

A $10 1L bottle of water is very cheap compared to a BD or figure, but you aren't likely to buy it.

Also, you can pirate anime, but you can't pirate good figures. Yet.

>Water
Not Sup Forums related

Who cares about the anime. I buy the manga volumes.

What if it's an original anime with no manga adaption serving as an advertisement to promote the anime?

Such things do exist.

this implies that we buy figures to support the creators, which makes no sense, so your argument immediately falls apart

That's very rare. And most of those instances of anime originals based on something that already exists suck dick.

I'd rather spend $200 on a figure and miscellaneous goods for my waifu than $500 on blurays which is useless because you can't use the event ticket and you don't even get the storage box.

It just seems like people like wanking over Fate/Stay Night merchandise. I don't think there's any sort of lasting obsession with merchandise in general nor am I convinced most people are even actually buying the things they post about

It kind of is. It's really fucking easy to get people to follow a certain narrative for nearly an entire thread if you know how the average shitposter here is wired. You get the reputation you help to foster too and there's a lot of cycle threads with the same rehashed shitposts nowadays that kind of makes it look like a random thread generator just shitting out posts to fill threads or if you will a hive cluster of select strings and words trying to self rationalize.

That is really unfortunately true.

In what way that you $200 figure is more useful than bd boxset. And every fucking bd boxset gets a fucking storage box (hence boxset) nicer than your figure ever dreams about you idiot.

>And every fucking bd boxset gets a fucking storage box

No.

If you're importing them you don't get the storage box.

I've never bought a fig but I do have some manga. Also I have three whole shows in BD, making it 22 volumes.
Like someone said before, I just buy what I like, and isn't like every show I watch makes me want to buy the BDs. I'm currenlty waiting for Flying Witch volume 1 for next Tuesday.

Don't lie you faggot, I bought one show which has 9 volumes and I got 2 storage box. I also got the extras that were announced for volume 1 of another show I bought.

Where did you order them from?

AmiAmi

And why people can legitimating manga purchase but not BD one, are they all the same or only because manga is cheaper?

Because they are disgustingly overpriced?

Its often 30 bucks for like 4 episodes

buying a single volume makes it feel like an incomplete puchase, I can go ahead and buy volume 1 for a show I really like while the show is still airing, or buy a volume from a later episode I like way later but either way it's just one single volume, especially if it's some odd number like 2 or 3 just sitting there on your shelf looking out of place

That's why I like buying movies and OVAs, they're stand alone and you get more for your buck, or short form anime that come in one volume, it's a good deal and it comes as a complete package

And your figure is not overprice. $100 for a 200 gram of PVC.

Is not the same thing apply to manga also? So why everybody bitching about BD but not manga?

I don't have a bluray drive, player or software, and using pirated releases is way more convenient than any of these, and sometimes actually looks better since encoders fix shit mastering.

So if all I'm doing is going to be just exposing them I might as well get figures/posters/etc. because they're nicer.

one volume of manga doesn't cost $80, a 10 volume series doesn't cost the price of two months rent

Dont talk to me ever again until you can actually speak proper English, SEAmonkey.

Which is only the browser that respect your privacy.
Enjoy your botnet

yeah you wish, fucking poorfag

>1 fig
>~$200 max
>1 BD
>$60-$200

One of them is downloadable.

When holograms become a thing maybe both will be downloadable.

So if figure is downloadable you will buy the BDs right?
Fuck off, you are the cancer of Sup Forums

you can't download merch, but you can download the contents of a blu ray.

One day, it might be possible to download anons, and then delete them over and over again.

>not that expensive compared to a figure
>~$100 for a good scale figure
>$400+ for a 12 episode series

????

Well i can get the anime easily for free while a figure? Well not that easy. I could go to japan and try to steal it but it is too much of a hassle so ill just buy it. When i can download figures then ill stop buying them.

I would kill for the work of Satoshi Kon, published by Criterion.

Because you can get a scale figure for $100 and display it. You can pay even less for a garage kit, nendo, or figma. Buying a full series via the blu ray volumes can't really be displayed, costs $350+, and can't practically be watched unless you rip the subs after downloading a fansubbed version in the first place. That said it is a trade off on getting what you want vs supporting the studio, and anime studios aren't charitable organizations that you get a tax break from by throwing your money at them.

Good scale figure, yeah, but easily mass produced with a few machines. Animation means several studios and teams at a lot of levels, so a LOT of people who need to get paid. It's totally natural that one episode costs much more than a 'good' figure a little bigger than your hand.

> Buying a full series via the blu ray volumes can't really be displayed,
You never bought a BDs disc before right, because these things are fucking beautiful.
> Can't practically be watched unless you rip the subs
Alot of good BDs nowaday include Eng sub (LL, Gundam, Macross)
So you guys shitting on anime while demanding a good show. How the fuck that gonna work? You are the cancer that killing anime, more than Daiz or anything.

Or I can spend less on a bitching figure and still support the studio

Because Japanese are retarded and split everything into volumes.
If the BDs have exclusive extra merch I buy then if no then fuck that.

Which creators will gain nothing aside from the money from purchasing copyright
Will you buy a BDs boxset of 9 vols with figure for $600?

I think you can also load external subtitles if you're watching them on your PC.

$500 will buy you 5 beautiful figs to decorate your room or 6 tiny boxes with 50 minutes of footage you already saw on each. I don't know how BDs can compete with prices like that.

Stop being selfish. Buying 5 BDs will increase the chance that your favorite anime having SS2 which is good for everybody.

Actual BDs are horrifically overpriced even when compared to already overpriced collectors' items like statues. There's simply no way to defend paying hundreds of dollars for 3-4 hours of entertainment.

Amazing fig would be 150 ish
One 12-episode series is like 400-600 dollars.

Why do you keep posting a US Blu-Ray set while >implying that we should buy JP releases?

You say "a lot" and yet only mention three very popular franchises.

English subs on JP BDs is still not a common thing.

>tfw too poor to buy either of those things

I can understand why people would prefer buying a figure, though, especially if it's one of their favorite characters. It feels more personal in that regard. People tend to become more attached to a character they love than the series in general.

Just look at those idol shrines fans make for their favorites where they buy like 20 of the same rubber strap.

I can't understand either. Owning one or two figures, I can understand on some level. Owning a massive display rack of the thousands of dollars you've wasted on plastic, I can't. If your hobby is GKs, and you do a lot of them, then fair enough, but otherwise it's just sad.

It looks like tacky shit.

This, why even by the BD's they're so expensive and nothing to look at.

The only time I ever bought a BD was Yuru Yuri S3 vol. 06 because it came with the Chinatsu nendo and I already had the other 3 and was not missing her no matter what.