GOOD depictions of romance in manga

I've been in a mood to read or watch some romance lately but I'm not sure where to start.

I've noticed that a lot of the time romance in manga is total crap. Either the MC is a complete spineless loser who would die a kissless virgin unless some girl fell on his face lips first and who runs from even the most mild contact with the opposite sex streaming blood from his nose, or else the writer decides to throw a bunch of pointless angst and edge try-hard drama into the story that kills the fun mood.

How many manga out there have the main couple honestly tell each other how they feel early on and actually shows them being in a relationship that advances forward instead of maybe just ending the last chapter with a kiss (if you're lucky and the writer doesn't just end flat with no kiss whatsoever)?

Pic Related: even if the MC here starts out the story as kind of a loser he does get together with main girl and they are actually established as BF/GF relatively quickly.

Less obnoxious as the rest so I say this without the usual disdain, but there is a board specifically for requests

>How many manga out there
Too many to count. You probably should read less Shounen and Shoujo though, which are made for people who've never been in a relationship and therefore are assumed to not be able to associate with the troubles and problems it brings.

>I've been in a mood to read or watch some romance lately but I'm not sure where to start.
>I've noticed that a lot of the time romance in manga is total crap. Either the MC is a complete spineless loser who would die a kissless virgin unless some girl fell on his face lips first and who runs from even the most mild contact with the opposite sex streaming blood from his nose, or else the writer decides to throw a bunch of pointless angst and edge try-hard drama into the story that kills the fun mood.
>How many manga out there have the main couple honestly tell each other how they feel early on and actually shows them being in a relationship that advances forward instead of maybe just ending the last chapter with a kiss (if you're lucky and the writer doesn't just end flat with no kiss whatsoever)?
>Pic Related: even if the MC here starts out the story as kind of a loser he does get together with main girl and they are actually established as BF/GF relatively quickly.

Sorry, wasn't sure whether to post it in there or here on Sup Forums since this is the anime/manga discussion board.

Could we just turn this into a discussion of romance in manga in general then?

When I look at this image, am I seeing a vampire or Youko?

You're reading/watching the wrong medium then user, most manga/anime are terrible at romance, even the ones that focus on it, thanks the neckbeards who pump money into the industry for that.

Try reading seinen instead of shounen if you want realistic progression

Read "Mahoraba"

The anime is shit and 1/6 of the story, so dont worry about it.

>Jitsu wa Watashi Wa

My fucking user-kun

You're seeing a cool beauty.

I love this series - its a perfect blend of cute and stupid. Not ultra cringy like Chuunbiyou either, which is nice.

I've been reading this and it's top tier. Also the good romance series are shounen, not shoujo. Try Mitsuru Adachi works.

You should try Boys on the Run. It's fun and funny, while being a fairly realistic depiction of romance.

How is the anime adaptation for you user? Since I'm gonna finish it soon, I might as well try the manga.

The animation for Jitsu-Wa?

I thought it was fucking dire. The manga has way better pacing and is just a lot more fun in general.

Koe no Katachi.
It's a love story of a deaf girl and her former bully.

Try "Kazoku Game"
It's cute, straightforward and angst-free.

Why not read VNs? There are great romance stories out there. Also, the best romance anime series have visual novels as source.

Where would be a good place to start with those?

I've always been kind of thrown off by the concept since I don't want to self-insert as a protagonist though.

/vg/ has a VN general whith plenty of starter recommendations

Obligatory Toradora. If you want a """realistic""" depiction of romance I'd suggest you fuck off fiction and go experience it yourself IRL, you fucking nerd.

Nana to Kaoru

Greatest love story ever told.

I've been happily married for almost 6 years though.

I just like reading cute sappy stuff, same as I enjoy reading a good action or horror story.

Tonari no kaibutsu-kun

>simple SoL romance concluded in 20 chapters
>Have a feeling i would remember it for the rest of my life
How did this happen?

That's not a Cool Beauty. That's a nervous dumpire taking a risk
THIS is a cool beauty

Its going to be great when she shoots up about a meter and a half in height when she gets her vampire growth spurts.

God I hope that happens and they still manage to work around it somehow.

Because Karin is 10/10.

Also, 26 post no one mention Bonnouji?

>Tall girl Dumpire
I can't fucking wait. I hope Asahi's body can handle that much Dumb, because judging by her dad, her brain is going to stay the size of a pea

>mangareader
kys senpai

>Those bats
>Those fucking eyes
>Those fangs
>Those nails
>The veins on her wings
God damn, COOL BEAUTY Youko is sexy

I know this is a recommendation thread, but fuck it.

Horimiya and Bonnouji are relatively "natural" romances.

I GIS'd the first result for them kissing. Who actually wants to read stuff page by page?

Damn, I was writing while you posted that. High five.

>Akane's reaction
God damn, for such a rabid bitch, she and Youko's mom try their hardest to hook these two morons up, and I"m so glad it pays off

Monster.

pic related sounds like a Karekano rip off is it?

try Honeymoon salad, or living game
also anything by KITAZAKI Taku is bretty good.

Choku! is a cute comedic one

Love Roma

You are retarded if you think seinen means mature

All the side characters in these series are pretty great.

Even Shimada is good for the gag of him getting dragged off by the fucking cops almost every issue for doing something unspeakably creepy.

It's literally the only series that I read where I enjoy EVERY character. Even Mikan, who started out really god damn weak

I was actually just going to post Horimiya.

Mikan is a little TOO "harem" for me.

>Alien lets Vampire know she has feelings for him but keeps her boundaries as much as she cann
>Wolf confesses once just to say it, then says she'll give it up for the sake of Vampire

>Mikan kind of just keeps doing it and everone is alright with it

It's nothing like Kare Kano. The main girl is no where near that level of faking being nice so much that her personality is completely different. It's more like she's secretly housewife material at home, and he's secretly hot. Their relationship is really cute.

Yeah, Mikan grew on me too.

Plus, the whole side-stories involving the various glasses/gods of fortune are fantastic.

Especially that one where they run away and end up in a bar and they get confronted in the alley by all those abandoned novelty new years sunglasses.

Did it get very boring in the last few chapters, or is it just me?

>Bonnouji
>Ozawa (26) has just broken up with her boyfriend of five years
Why would i want read a romance story about some used goods?

>uses the term "used goods"

>posts in a thread about mature romance

you're the reason we can't have nice things

If only the main character wasn't such a gigantic faggot in the last chapters

>Itoshi no Kana

>not wanting to self-insert

Welp..

Cuck garbage

>Amagami
>Romance that goes somewhere

Prunus girl

Whats weird about that though?

If I'm watching an action movie I don't pretend to be the hero in my mind, I just enjoy watching the show.

>romance manga that goes somewhere

>Houkago Play

Amazon-Dumbpire could be fun.

Is her name pronounced like Yuuko?

>I've been happily married for almost 6 years though.
Fuck off.

THE KISS
FINALLY

Whats wrong with being married? You don't suddenly stop enjoying weeb stuff after you meet someone nice and settle down.

I always thought it was Yo-ko

You can still be an elitist cunt if you're married.

Never said it was weird.

>One party ends up actually dead
>One party is dead on the inside
>One party is using the second party as she sees fit, now allowing him to die
She should have let PunPun die

Isn't there an anime adaptation? How is it pronounced in that

The adaptation was pretty bad, and I actively try to forget it.
But I just checked, and it's Yo-ko

toradora

The summary for that one does make it sound pretty cute.

Situations where the two try to hook each other up with their respective crushes and then end up falling for each other are super cliche, but I go for that shit everytime.

its also nice to have their relationship keep developing even after the standard climactic relationship stages that might have finished off other romance manga.

Thanks

Yeah, I hate when a story ends with "and then they kissed for the first/only time" and leave it at that.

The fact that people can't conceive of ways to take the story beyond a super simple little milestone like that is kind of a downer.

>14-sai no koi
>still no updates

Goddamit man

It's not just you. The first handful of chapters, focusing on his tatoos, piercings, the hair are nice and somewhat different from the norm.

But then it just turns into a generic manga, and it really goes downhill when they start introducing the b-side characters and he cuts his hair and goes full native.

Like a truckload of other similar mangas it has nice art, but no hook or anything it excels at, it's not even entertaining. It's a nice looking puddle of mediocrity.

Emma and Nodame Cantabile

Nothing I said in that post was a lie.

Pic related.

If you mean the last few dozens of chapters, then yes.

Man i miss this pic.

No update since i saw it first time 3 years ago.

he said good depiction

it's cute, but nobody would get that retard flustered

This is a lovely story, I really love it.

I would add Jitsu Wa to that chart now, but not much else.

Read the works of our lord and savior Seo

Please give me the name of this manga.

Out of all the romance manga I have read, I really liked "Hirunaka no Ryuusei".

Another one is "Six Half".

>SE
>Kaguya-sama
>Bocchi Bokura
>Higashi no Kurume
>Murenase Shitton Gakuen
>Kushuku Gakkou no Alice
>Kanojo wa Rokurubi

Fuck now i feel like giving free recommendation.

Ah well, im a romancefag myself so i dont mind sharing.

GE - Good Ending

I liked it a lot.

Not sure how softest ghost hasn't been mentioned yet.

>tfw no Ghostbuster/Exorcist manga where the MC is doing it for money but is also looking to find the ghost GF of his dreams if he is lucky

>It's a love story of a deaf girl and her former bully.
Sounds like battered housewife syndrome shoujo shit.

Kyou no Yuiko-san is pretty great.

tsundere done right and there's reasonable romantic progression.

t. cuck

Kaguya-sama is fantastic, though it is the exact opposite of romantic progression.

Really, its seems more like a parody of most shoujou tropes than anything else but the comedy is top notch and the characters are cute.

this is the old one
it still has evergreen in it