While the Berserk movies are still an abomination...

While the Berserk movies are still an abomination, looking back on them now after seeing the Berserk TV series I realize that they were doing the CGI right.

CGI in anime is awful, but if you're going to do it there's a way to do it properly. CGI allows for more interesting camera work, fluid animation without the characters appearing off model, and scenes with lots of characters all looking consistently the same quality.

The new Berserk fucks it up so bad. The camera is dead still, the animations are stiff and lifeless, and there is still an abundance of lipflap moments where characters just stand motionless and talk.

Not to mention it falls into the same weird trap as the first two Berserk movies, and didn't learn from the third one. By the third Berserk movie they had stopped using CGI faces for main characters almost entirely. Instead they hand drew faces onto CGI bodies, which worked pretty well since faces are generally the worst looking part of CGI in anime. It seems completely random when the TV anime decides to go from CGI to handdrawn, with a closeup of a hand drawn face being followed immediately with a closeup of the same face but CGI.

They aren't making use of any of CGI's advantages, so why are they doing it at all? It's got to be more expensive to create a scene of two CGI characters sitting and talking than it would be to just draw it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/n55QVlBoDxI?t=115
youtube.com/watch?v=6J_YRkOaSpQ
youtu.be/ZVcTzyO3U70?t=25s
imgur.com/a/pzNbD
youtu.be/cPRRupAM4DI?t=180
youtube.com/watch?v=PiR7KYIQv9U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Studio overpromised, underdelivered and its too late to cancel it. Maybe they'll fix things when bd's come out and it'll sell merch regardless.

>they were doing the CGI right
No. They were doing it better, not right.

Movies had some traditional animated parts which actually looked decent sometimes, but direction and all of it was pretty much soulless + terrible CGI.

Only that old slideshow had some of manga atmosphere.

This new series is just pure diarrhea in every way, I only wait for that one Susumu Hirasawa song which will be out later.

I think the CGI in the movies is underrated.
CGI in anime will almost always look jarring and uncanny if it's not incredibly well done (it's easier if they do mecha)
youtu.be/n55QVlBoDxI?t=115
Camera angles and cinematography certainly helps in making the action look cooler. Take the tower scene when they rescue Griffith as an example, looks great.

>they were doing the CGI right
Nah that would be Square Enix.

Dont people just go "that looks fake and unrealistic and shitty" when they watch that. Is it purely aimed at kids?

Berserk would be completely shit if it was animated like this. The stylistic designs in the movies was literally fine, the GCI was subtle enough that it didn't scream for attention like a retarded ADHD child. The new series is soulless bullshit purely designed in a way that detracts from the substance of the plot to show off how amazing and futuristic the animation is, despite being complete shit.

The movies really show their good point when made into a proper MAD video.
youtube.com/watch?v=6J_YRkOaSpQ

Well the series is called "Final Fantasy" so it's kind of dumb for anyone to expect it to be realistic.

pretty sure he's talking about how dynamic it looks.

The new Berserk game is already proving a more realistic style works very well.

>They'll fix it in the BD guise
animefags still being this delusional

>CGI allows for more interesting camera work
You have no idea what you're talking about. The wonky cameras that move everywhere is a major problem of why things look so bad and is often just used to hide poor animation.

What is that thing shes holding?

Probably more refering to that you can use any angle without much effort with 3dcg, not that the nips take much advantage of it in anime though

How come Japanese vidya have great animations while Japanese anime with cgi is like babbys first animation?

Japanese vidya make money.

>bitching about cgi
Yeah.. I want to see you try to anime this scene, and then 343 more volumes of obnoxiously detailed alike scenes. Try to animate Falconia for 10 seconds, let me know how that works out.

Just do stills with shaky effect and more detailed animation when zoomed in

>Just do stills with shaky effect and more detailed animation when zoomed in
I've seen hentai that tries to pull this shit off, it's so disgusting it's impossible to fap to it.

Theres no fixing that mate

>Maria the Witch
youtu.be/ZVcTzyO3U70?t=25s

CGI looks best in action scenes. But having it in conversations and scenes where characters just walk around looks pretty bad most of the time.

The battle scenes were pretty good in that

I honestly think it looks alright

>show something that's nowhere even close to the level of magnitude and detail in Berserk
>one scene literally only shows the spear heads because shit would be too difficult to animate every single soldier
>the animation looks ass
thanks for proving my point

>everyone jumping and spinning around like weightless ballerinas
>swords look like they have no weight or impact
>half the processing power is used to animate the gaytastic hairstyles
Look at yourself in the mirror when you walk, and move around. you will notice you actually move like the 2016 berserk cgi you despise so much, not like that square enix shit for children

one more example, just to beat on a dead horse

This. Berserk '97 had glorious stills. Stills are timeless, whereas Berserk 2016 already looks outdated. It's like a prerendered cutscene from a PS2 game.

Lol
This is what will happen

>is often just used to hide poor animation
I would rather poor animation be hidden than having it staring me right in the face.

This is why you make movies instead of shitty cheap TV anime

imgur.com/a/pzNbD glorious

Lets be sincere here, even the TV series falls short and those stills look shit compared to the manga. I won't even pick on the animation because it's the same thing. We all need to accept this simple truth:

The technology to make a true quality Berserk fluid animation that stays true to the original work, simply doesn't exist yet.

As for myself, I think it's the greatest story ever told, and it makes shit like GoT look like a children's fairy tale, so I'm just glad people are at least trying to adapt it to modern media, and trying to animate it, which is of itself, a monumental task. Perhaps in the future when CGI gets better people will get a worthy adaption, and I will probably be dead by then, but for now, this is all we can get and I'm thankful for it.

you convinced me Sup Forums. i'm finally picking up the manga. having watched the '97 anime, is it okay to skip the Golden Age arc in the manga or am i missing out on something worthwhile?

There is some important backstory missing from the anime and things are just generally more fleshed out. Just start from the beginning.

alighty then. here i go.

rip exam period

FIX!?
how could you fucking fix this?

Never read or watched anything berserk but I gotta ask

Why do they always go with 3D for this series

Sorry, it looks like shit

Slightly off-topic, but:
>see Berserk anime coming out
>hyped as fuck, liked older stuff, plus got heavily into Souls, which obviously grasped inspiration from Berserk
>never look up a PV because busy and shit, always glance over the notion
>watch the anime
>fucking horrified

>watch Tales of Zestiria last night
>recent game-anime I've watched have been shit, expect little, like Berserk, don't read up or watch PVs because lazy faggot
>mfw this shit

i want to fuck this elf

good thing the chapters in which miura goes from dark and gloomy to mass number of picture details still lie ahead

i guess to avoid using still pictures

Praying for decent merchandise after this shitstorm is over

I still seriously can't believe that they skipped the Count arc (Guardians of Desire). It would have at least helped new viewers know who the God Hand were, especially Femto/Griffith. And the fight scene between him and the Count would have definitely been a good show.

by "him," I mean Guts

MAPPA does a good job with CGI in general. IN Bahamut or Garo for example.

Wait, shouldn't a rope like that be a lot bigger?

This is what the new anime looks like?

Really?

It's twine maybe

>This is what the new anime looks like?

Garo's fight looked incredible, the choreography are almost perfect, on of my favourite anime. Also the CGI blend perfectly with the 2d background. I'd take CGI like that any day (I'm talking about the first season, haven't watched the second).
>tfw OVA sub never
>tfw still no Divine Flame BD

It does exist. It would be really fucking expensive.

How could this happen? How is this even possible?

>Approaching Teekyuu spinoff numbers

ugh

Actually, once everything is modeled and rigged properly, you animate an hour of CGI in 3 hours real time.

While I liked Maria the virgin witch the fight scenes had their issues.
Them background characters

Still far better than the Berserk anime though.

Sorry, did you meant to say Guilty Gear Xrd?

That's pretty good though

>that guy who buckles down between shots from getting bonked on the head but still hasn't given up

What a trooper

>MAL hates it
Should I like it then?

Shame the second Garo anime looked so much worse
And even then it still looks better than Berserk

name?

>inb4 Dirty Frenchmen

I wouldn't mind it as much if they had limited the CGI to action scenes, but it's fucking everywhere.

They didn't even bother to do a trace over of it.
It's disgusting.

>and scenes with lots of characters all looking consistently the same quality.
copy-paste characters, sure. if you actually want them to look and move like distinct characters that takes more work.

not anime

CGI can be used to do more dynamic camera work. of course it can also be abused.

First of all, "once you have everything modeled" is a huge omission, since you have to consider the scene setup too. Secondly, that assumes a lot of automation. Which will look like shit. Many things are tweaked manually. So you're essentially saying "once you've done 80% of the work, you're still slower than realtime". And that's just human labor. You still need to render the shit. And then if someone wants fixes about details you need to redo them.

That's the only excusable usage of CGI I can see.

draw 5 frames of the battle. loop them. pan over the whole thing. that's how it was done in ye olde days.

Because 3D animators can actually get steady work in vidya games, and often actually have the time/money to do shit like mocap

wait for it.

I don't even think he's hitting him after the closeup.

Like I said, I liked the anime and only really noticed flaws like this in retrospect.
Though mostly I liked all the stuff that was tangential to the main plot but that ended up forming an interesting contrast anyway.

>Name
Of the anime?
It's in my post.

The best descriptor of the character though is definitely dirty frenchman.
I'm just the worst at names.

If you look at the quality of the animation in this series, you'll see just how much automation was involved.

Hand drawn animation is easily more difficult and man power intensive.

>after
you should have ordered last year

Also, you can do 1 scene setup and get 6 minutes of animation out of it without doing anything.

We were talking about good CG. Automated CG looks like horseshit, as we see.

2D anime recycles layers too.

>school club anime
>shots switch between 3 perspectives of the same room over and over again
>characters barely move

It's not like CG has a monopoly on cost-cutting measures.

While you are slower than real time, you're light years ahead in comparison to hand drawn animation.

Nah that would be Blizzard
youtu.be/cPRRupAM4DI?t=180

The only issue with saying "3 perspectives of 1 room is major cost-cutting!" is that you have to create the same room 3 different times.

You don't have to do that CGI.
You only have to do it once, and you can manipulate it anyway you like.

You should both fuck off back to Sup Forums.

the only time I recall seeing 2D being integrated with CG animation in a non grating manner was the prince of Egypt.

This is 1000x better than anything from the new series. Thanks.

but with CGI you need models and textures of everything. which already means drawing a bunch of shit. when drawing the room in 2D you only need to draw the objects from one side and can even ignore perspective to some extent.

It's not really clear-cut.

It depends on various factors. CG basically takes more up-front effort for new locations or for changing character designs for things that need manual adjustments to the models frame by frame (motion smear, face faults and all that)

If you have characters that change clothing often or a diverse cast with elaborate outfits that can mean a lot more effort in CG.

And things that radically modify the geometry of objects get more difficult CG. Complex organic structures are also more difficult. Try to do pic related in CG.

On the other hand 2D animation takes a lot more per-frame effort during when using a dynamic camera.

Both methods have their own variety of cost cutting techniques

Ever notice how most battles in any mecha show with CG done by Orange take place in either
>A completely flat field
>Space
>The sky
Less shit to model, less shit to texture

Can you imagine how low the morale must be for the team working on this show right now?

yeah, certainly. just saying that it makes the calculation what is cheaper a lot more complicated.

and also needs some artistic skill to make the cost-cutting not too blatant. Which is why everyone sucks shaft's dick, they've turned that into an art in itself.

and berserk sucks at that

they should have used procedural trees instead of copy-paste trees for example. individual procedural trees may look stupid at times, but a whole forest of them will likely look better than a clone colony.

you're not safe here.

youtube.com/watch?v=PiR7KYIQv9U

or maybey they are all on drugs

yes, this series gave me a newfound appreciation of the movies (even tho the director was clearly super inexperienced which showed in the horrible pacing).

Maybe they are laughting on it like we all here.

maybey they dont care
could just be another paycheck for them.

Wasn't really into buyfagging until now. I regret not doing so

I'm saving up in case they do release new stuff, though

>they were doing the CGI right.

Absolutely.

TOO RATE IT'S TOO RATE~!

They still have careers. Try getting a job at another studio in one of the most competitive industries there is when the biggest project you've worked on is a titanic failure.

at least it had tentacle rape

That would be way better, I would ever prefer stills like in your webm to the fucking CGI.

Casca did a good thing by going insane, she doesn't have to see how fucking ugly the world is around her.

anime spas cas a qt

>They still have careers.
not after this they dont.

>Maybe they'll fix things
So throw everything out and start over from scratch with a studio that's actually competent?

Sup Forums gets better CGI in general than Sup Forums does. How does that even happen?

Vidya is entirely CGI, while CGI in anime is purely experimental. Bubuki Buranki was alright though.