Why did literature fall out of flavour with the mainstream public?

Why did literature fall out of flavour with the mainstream public?

flavour?

lol wtf you retard, obviously it fell out of FAVOR before you were born, and it's spelled FLAVOR in the civilized world

More books are read today than any other time in history.

Kill yourself retard.

because it really makes you think

People have been forced to read books as indoctrination method, enjoying books is part of being domesticated. Most people make better use of their time in the field, or in bed with their wife.

>TV
>internet
>smartphones

Cause when people are writing dinosaur erotica for a living and getting rich by it is just too much.

There-s also women fucking cars and stuff.

It fell out of favor with MEN

Women still read more than ever

Regular Americans got sick of a literature that amounted to little more than Atlanticist circle jerk (see Henry James et al).

We have no American culture or literature yet. IN all honesty.

It all went to shit when we let women read. Being sluts, they wanted all the niggers and coloreds to read also. And they wanted white books to get BLACKED.

BLACKED I say....BLACKED. A word spoken which sounds hateful and deadly at the same time.

Because the population is increasing at a rate greater than at any point in history.
"Readers per capita" is definitely A LOT lower.
The younger generations have been raised by cartoons, so they don't have the attention span to read. It's like electrically induced ADHD.

Women took over the publishing industry

>women
>litterature

hmm cheap erotic crap isn't litterature

reading ingredients on lip gloss doesn't count

It's not not like Sup Forums reads literature. Start with the Greeks you faggots.

Speak for yourself Britbong. I read visual novels 20+ hours a week.

Why not sumerian and sanskrit.

I did a degree in English literature and the classes/lectures were 75% women

>Women still read more than ever
Harry Potter, 50 Shades and generic thrillers don't count sweetie. Women that read anything even remotely interesting are rare.

> US
> civilized

Were they good at anything though? I also studied English language and literature but 90% of the girls in the class couldn't write a paragraph without a couple of mistakes. Also, they mostly read vampire fan fiction.

I think the average Sup Forums user has probably read more real books (excluding stuff like )
than the average plebbitor.
But they are good at acting like they're well read.

I wish I could claim I was diffrrent but I am not.
Sometimes I put a book down and suddenly 3 weeks have passed without me reading another line.

Literature has been dead since the 20s.

It all started when Jews started pushing modernist trash like Joyce, Kafka, Faulkner, Woolf, etc.
Writing that sucks all the joy out of the reading experience and you are left with soulless "art."

Literature hasn't been the same since and it has never recovered.

as a man who has read too many books, i sadly am forced to agree

also, Sup Forums wouldn't know literature from a hole in the ground

>Faulkner
Excuse me, but Jason Compson is /ourguy/

Faulkner is trash and his novels are leftist propaganda with the sublety of a brick to the head.

kafka is good deal with it

Honestly, I wouldn't know where to begin in trying to get interested in reading modern fiction. I enjoy reading non-fiction topics like Philosophy, History and Religion, but modern literature just looks like a bunch of gay shit aimed at women. I have some Dostoevsky in my book collection I can read though.

You'd be hard-pressed to find any serious reader who'd agree with you. I'd only admit that his later works were lacking after the alcohol got the best of him.

Aussie intellectual

fuck you lee goodwin is /ourguy/

I don't care about serious readers agreeing with me. People only claim to like Faulkner because they are told to and they want to seem "smart." Clearly you're one of these people.

i cried when that cat died.

I love read books when my internet don't work

Show me your flag Shlomo.

Kafka was a neurotic jew who was literally insane. On a good day, you can say he was mentally unsound.

His writing is the rambling of a man who is deeply mentally disturbed and there is nothing of value in his stories.

>story about a weird wooden object following a guy around
>dude it's like a critique of capitalism, it's too deep for you
Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Who is, in your enlightened opinion, a quality writer?

considering Mein Kampf is a bestseller in Germany I wouldnt say it is.

come on now, the one about the dog philosopher is excellent by any standard

Oh is this the part where I list my favorite writers and you call them trash no matter who I list? I'll bite though.

Dostoevsky, Flaubert, Shakespeare, Homer, Chekhov, Poe.
A few modern writers I like are Borges, Yeats and Eliot, but that's pretty much it.
In essence, all of the great writers before modernist kikes destroyed everything are the only ones that matter.

because of state-run education

I think you're supposed to admire the mental instability, chaos and anxiety of Kafka's prose as a meditation on the artificiality and inhumanity of life under the modern bureaucratic state.

Liberal propaganda, video games, Internet reading, piracy.

Reading was rare in the dark ages. Other cultures kept select few to read.

Harry Potter

what about cormac mccarthy?

Dosty is one of my favorites...Sherlock Holmes too

Never read him yet so can't form an opinion. But I hear Blood Meridian tossed around a lot as a good book.
Based on my taste, do you think I would like him?

Sutree, one of his earlier efforts, was quality. Annie Proulx's short stories were quality before she went full potato.

I can only stomach so much "diversity" literature; years Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Margret Atwood getting shoved in my face killed it for me.

blood meridian is the reddest red pill you're going to find on this plane of existence

Not Western civilizations.

Agreed. Start specifically with Homer and Hesiod and work your way down to the present.

Rapping monkey niggers stole the show and glamorized being a retard.

Yeah I hate bro country too.

I don't deny that, except the books being read are usually trash like Twilight, Harry Potter, Hunger Games or your latest "dystopian post-apocalyptic Y.A novel with generic beautiful girl as protagonist" rubbish. Classics are usually ignored and downright disregarded in favour of genre fiction or women's romance "novels". The worst thing is that these people consider themselves "nerds" or call themselves "well read" because they skimmed through an aborted mess of such a "novel".

False, majority of people were always retarded laymen that wouldn't figure out how to pick up a book at gunpoint. Except they weren't as politically active, that is an absolute colossal difference, today complete retards are being used as useful idiots influenced by the entertainment and public education's subtle indoctrination to make them feel like they're smarter than they really are being, telling them that there is infact a moral good in this world(open borders, gayism, growing government etc.)and choosing anything other than the narrative being fed to you makes genocidal maniac.
You literally cannot do anything on the electrical jew part though, because they operate in the free market of todays entertainment system and have figured out how to exploit the public's attention and their dopamine flow, which goes hand in hand with the degeneration and brainwashing of our race/culture to make sure they get ready for the new world order globalization plan of a cultures, coffee skinned robots in a surveillance state.

nevertheless, I am yet to suspend my optimism for the future.

culturless*

About half of them displayed a decent level of intelligence. The other half were dumb as rocks (as were some of the men too). I avoided the classes on feminist stuff so I never had any SJW-style shit to deal with.

I took a master's degree in Politics & Law afterwards. The gender balance was more even, but the girls were very very smart, you had to respect them. The most left-wing people on the course were nu-male cucks, and the girls seemed to mainly come from wealthy conservative backgrounds, it was interesting.

It's because we have better things to do then in 1920. We have so many mediums and literrature is basically dead now, not as many people read books. People tend to watch T.V. now a days, I mean books are not as tantalizing as TV series. Nobody wants to be a writer anymore