Breakout manga of 2016

Since it's already July I thought it's about time we take a look back at what 2016 have brought us
So Sup Forums, have you been keeping up with what's new in Japan? what's new titles have caught your eyes?

Do you think there's a manga that managed to rise above the rest? which one is it?

Do you think the biggest titles of 2016 is yet to come? are you excited about something that is yet to debut? for example the new manga from Koe no Katachi author or the new manga from All you Need is Kill author

discuss

>please no spinoffs or sequels & no games, novels, dramas or anime comicalization

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wvw9kwWs_-k
youtube.com/watch?v=p1TlP-XFzz8
myanimelist.net/manga/98578/Kanata_no_Astra
e621.net/post/index/1/yakantuzura.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

After reading koe no kanatachi im expecting something really good from Yoshitoki Oima.

>no Takuan to Batsu
Also is that sci-fi mango by Shinohara Kenta any good?

>nothing personal, I wrote new manga in google in Japanese (新連載) & put the start of 2016 in the search tools, then picked the first 8 titles I recognized from the results

Astra's setting is a bit of cliched "teens go camping & get stuck in a survival situations" but Shinohara 's writing pretty good so it's worth reading

>yaiba
Only the training arc is semi-decent. But since chapter 18 introduced 'special medicine that immediately heals X' I dropped it.

Who with me?

also Vectorball is seriously the worst pilot I've seen in literal centuries.

I haven't read the rest. But if you need a 101 on how to NOT do fucking pilots it's Vectorball, just watch/read the Bleach Pilot if you want to know how a good pilot is done

>just watch/read the Bleach Pilot if you want to know
And look where we ended up! Maybe you can have a really shitty pilot, and have a increasingly good manga instead. A man can dream, at least.

Kimetsu no Yaiba, Fire Punch, Ill Boy Ill Girl, and Vector Ball are all extremely lacking. They're completely devoid of execution and strive on concept.
I haven't read anything else here, so I can't say for the rest.

I really haven't read anything I find good this year, so I can't even give you one.

No, it doesn't work that way. if the pilot of all things isn't good. It won't be a good show.
The Pilot is the most worked on part. There's no time-constraints unlike future chapters it's also planned out from the start.

My best guess was that he knew he had fans who'd be willing to buy the first volume regardless, but so much shit doesn't even start getting explained until Volume 2. It's gotten to the point where I'll actually read it when I download the magazine anyway, but still one of the worst starts I've ever seen and not much better since.

>Bleach does anything good or better than others

top kek

>hating on bleach

Bleach has sucked since the series abandoned its care for character depth. All of the characters are shells of what they used to be. They have absolutely no personality to them whatsoever anymore. Even the filler represents their characters better than the actual series.

Even if you're the author of a series, you can't take a character you've created, and then completely twist them into something completely different. What does Kubo think he's doing?

Still no reason to hate on it.

at the very least, there's good reason to be angry at Kubo. the role of an author is to generate a setting and place characters into it, not take control of the characters. he's failed at his job.

>nothing personal, I wrote new manga in google in Japanese (新連載) & put the start of 2016 in the search tools, then picked the first 8 titles I recognized from the results
Could've tried a little, at least.

>hey it's shit but stop hating stuff I like

is this is you by any chance? youtube.com/watch?v=Wvw9kwWs_-k

Jump conspiracy boohoo, they hate Kubo boohoo, bad business decision boohoo, cancel Kochikame already boohoo

delusional Bleach fags are cancer

His limits in talent as writer just shone through. In a sense we can just blame the fanbase. His story was just too big for him to handle.
Best scene coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=p1TlP-XFzz8

Is Takuan to Batsu even any good?
I like the characters designs but that it

the premise is "episodic monster of the week" & the fanservice is forced af

Nice strawman on a clickbait video title. Goodjob being born yesterday. I literally replied someone shitting on Bleach's pilot. That's all.

how is "Still no reason to hate on it." a proper counter argument?

OP here, please stop turning this to a Bleach thread

we are better than this anons

how is
>Bleach does anything good or better than others
When comparing its pilot to Vectorball's a good argument?

I'll need to check out Sket Dance author's new series.

Yuragi-sō no Yūna-san is the best, the rest are mediocre.

Sorry, Bleach is just so good it kind of makes all these new manga feel redundant.

>still no argument

Humoring you here, I can't have a counter-argument when there's no argument to begin with

The only thing I've started from this year is Yuuna-san(aka ghost tits) and Platinum End(shit). Yuuna is pretty decent and i hope it becomes Jump's dedicated ecchi series.

I don't really remember if sesuji wo pin is from this year though.

I'll start Samon-kun soon as well.
And on a side note, that new manga from the Koe no Katachi author looks promising.

OP here, I was trying to make an original thread in Sup Forums for once & start a conversation about the state of industry in 2016

if you want to discuss Bleach go to its daily general thread

although I agree with you that it is indeed the best this year, it's pretty bad.
it only succeeds because I really like that girl with the white hair.

Platinum End is from 2015. No argument about it being shit though.

you don't get it, he posted a Bleach anime screencap, he's clearly the victor

Literally only heard of the first two, the first of which is going to get cancelled anyway.

>Shounen Shoujo

I don't want to discuss bleach, but when talking about the current-state you must be able to refer to the past otherwise you can't make a comparison. That's all I did. Also, why would I want to discuss current-bleach or go into a general? it's just that all current manga aren't that fucking great and instead of lowering our standards we should not forget what makes manga great.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

I can't remember, did Kaguya come out this year or last? Regardless, it's the most entertaining manga I've read recently.

It started around May/June 2015.

>Vector Ball
I wish more chapters were translated. Am I the only one that notices that the crazy styled characters are all over the place? Makoto is going a bit overboard with them.

Samefag

>not a new IP

I have stop reading new manga since 2014, I only do when the manga is actually over, I'm already following like 10000 mangas and i'm pretty sure I will never finish any.

care to list them? I could use some more and it sounds like you're bragging

Will someone ever pick up Kanata no Astra?

2014 had bnha & 2015 had tomo but there's nothing standing out this year so far

I'm optimistic about Oima new series tho

They both may only be a few weeks old but Criminale! and Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen are both really solid comedies that haven't disappointed me at all yet. I see some real potential in both of them, though Murenase is giving me stronger harem vibes, which isn't too great. But so far their both hilarious.

I can't, I always see an interesting manga, start reading it, realize just some chapters are out, forget I ever read it, repeat. Like that one with the giant insects island or that one of the deathtube.
I did exagerate about the 2014 thing, but you get my point.

Pretty much this, it's even worse if you follow light novels since literally none of them end. I have a feeling there'll be a sudden drought in a few years when a lot of the big ln's finish but there might be new replacements by then.

Your fault for reading light novels. Aren't light novels literally just novels for stupid people?

It's not like you can RSS or some shit.

I can't get into Shiiton Gakuen. Lanka is very cute, but the rest of the cast is pretty boring and Jin is just outright unpleasant. None of them have any chance to develop into anything funny or interesting either because every chapter has to introduce and focus on a new character. The art isn't very good either.

There's this one that Pixiv keeps recommending to me about a girl that gets kidnapped by dogs.
What's the bottom leftmost one?

myanimelist.net/manga/98578/Kanata_no_Astra

Does the author make an attempt to realistically portray space travel?

not really, it's pretty much a full on fantasy story

I'm surprised nobody is following Shounen Shoujo here.

Not enough Medaka fans?

I'm waiting for it to get more chapters so I can have more to read when I catch up.

It is pretty good so far. That said I don't see it lasting long since it is going to end once he kills her.

>Buff wolfman and his pet schoolgirl
Curious. Any translations?

All of the series in that image are shit senpai. No exception.

This is Nisio, you know some twist is expected to happen.

It's a cute love story in the end

The medicine is obviously something that works only on demons which already have regenerations abilities. It's basically just boosting that capacity.

And it doesn't currently run the risk of being overused considering the demon-doctor will not be traveling with the protagonists.

It's a stupid asspull. It doesn't 'obviously conditions here' since nothing like that is specified. There's no downside. And it's just bad fucking writing. Be glad Yaiba got a single good arc, it's more than most manga will ever have.

>started watching anime/manga in 2012
Its fun watching a season with Sup Forums, but whenever i read manga its always older stuff. Anyone here know how it feels to have been reading something since it started? Whats it like?

No one really talks about new manga (imo it's because we don't have a manga board) unless it's by a super popular author

Thats generally what i've noticed. Usually i don't pick up ongoing manga because i prefer to marathon all of it (like i did with FMA for example, finished the entire series in 3 days) with the exception of some adaptions that get increased number of threads due to an upcoming adaption

>it's because we don't have a manga board
Not this shit again.

A manga board won't magically increase activity. The discussions will still be just as dead and populated by the same few people. The typical poster simply aren't as into manga as they are with anime. A manga board will just result in you changing the complaint from 'thread dies after 10+ posts' to 'it's been X months and there's only 5 new posts'.

We actually do need a manga board. I've tried with semi-popular shit like DDD but people only really post in the FT/TG generals. And we all know that those more popular manga are really fucking awful.

If only there was an extremely easy way to test that theory...

>A manga board won't magically increase activity.
It will still be better than the current deal. Unless you refresh the page 30 times a day you will miss a manga thread because things get purged faster. It's really that simple. Slower board WILL allow for more discussion as there's no need to recreate or have some sort of bait in the OP to get a steady amount of replies going. But whatever, you'll just ignore the fact that other boards have magically increased on-topic posting when they got their own area.

They didn't magically get increases, there was already enough of a demand for it in the first place, hence getting the damn board made. You severely overestimate the typical user's powerlevel when it comes to reading manga.

But whatever, keep crying about how a manga board will solve your problems.

average shounenfag

Manga threads on Sup Forums with 100+ replies:

OPT
Scanlation thread
SnK general
One Piece general
Bleach general
Tokyo Ghoul general
Hunter x Hunter
Tomo-chan cancer
Prison School
One Punch Man
Hero Academia
other WSJ manga
Nanatsu no Taizai
Fairy Tail
other WSM manga
Helck

Yeah we totally don't need a manga board

>get a new manga board
>95% is battle manga/ harem ecchi/ super popular ones like Berserk
>10 threads about Naruto/Bleach/One Piece each because you know damn well they would do that
>5% about good, lesser known manga still abandoned since only a few people have read them.
Face it, that's what's going to happen. If you're willing to accept that, then sure, go and bug hiro for a manga board.

Going by your list, it sounds like the manga board will end up being a containment for entry level manga readers.

If the board had 150 threads like Sup Forums then you're wrong

Where do you guys download your manga from?
Is there a resource guide anywhere?

No see, the entry level shit is easy filterable. But wouldn't having the entry level shit elsewhere be preferred in either case? Can't believe shit like Tokyo Ghoul is aloud here though. There's no one over the age of 14 reading that.

just stream it
unless you can name me a mangareader that loads 20 pages as one, streaming is the better option

mangafox

Even if every shounenshit had 5 threads, that would still only be about 40% of the board

Is there like an Anichart for Manga? That'd be really useful.

I tend to just "Random Series" button on whatever site I'm using at the time and read whatever comes my way.

Unless it's a lengthy thing then I read until it seems like the first arc or storyline's complete and bookmark it for later.

I have read a LOT of shittyily drawn fujoshit stories.

I use domdomsoft. It downloads manga from certain browser based manga sites kind of like torrenting but not really. You can then use cdisplay etc.

Neat.
All I need to do is find where I can read it then.

No, manga isn't released in seasons and there's too much of it coming out and getting axed constantly.

It's also meaningless unless you know Japanese. I once tried picking up new manga that scanlators pick up, but most of them stop being translated or get yearly 1 chapter updates.

Your best bet in being caught up with the manga scene while not knowing Japanese is just picking up already popular series that are more likely to keep being scanlated.

And licensed manga.

>Your best bet in being caught up with the manga scene while not knowing Japanese is just picking up already popular series that are more likely to keep being scanlated.
Apart from the obvious exceptions, popular series tend to be good, or at least enjoyable, so I'm not seeing the problem with those being the only things some people can read.

Because there are better manga out there.

There's translations uploaded to sadpanda, but they're not as complete as e621.net/post/index/1/yakantuzura. The site's not too bad if you ignore the ads and don't stray away from the tags for the comic and characters.

There are some manga like Gintama and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei that aren't being licensed anymore, though these are too Japanese so it's understandable.

But we had Vinland Saga licensors saying sometime ago that sales were shit and they wouldn't be continue releasing unless the new volume sold well. Fans managed to gather up and buy enough to avoid this though.

Yeah, but it'd be nice to be able to finish the shitty ones, just for the sake of finishing them. I just like finishing what I started.

>popular series tend to be good
No, popular series tend to be really cookie-cutter and once they get a certain popularity they can pull-off asspulls and most of those are just wish fullfillment trash

the secret club

>popular series tend to be really cookie-cutter
There's no reason you can't enjoy that. They're popular for a reason.

Honestly I can't see it lasting as long as Medaka Box, even with Kumagawa clone as MC

>They're popular for a reason.
Because little kids enjoy anything and the first result tends to be what most people click on. Popularity has nothing to do with quality. At all. Once you grow hair you might be able to understand what us adults mean when we say stuff like that.

>the first result tends to be what most people click on
And how did it become the first result so that the kids would click on it? Because other people thought it was good due to its quality and it therefore became popular. Try thinking through the steps of your "argument" before you try to use big boy logic.

source ? google give me nothing even sauce nao

and where the fuck is the list

Yes you can repeat your ad populum fallacy like a broken record all day long. I'm telling you as the adult in this conversation that you're wrong