Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1597

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

dic.nicovideo.jp/a/はよ
pastebin.com/raw/HxjV6YrB
hinative.com/en-US/questions/44386
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

xth for メイド

hurryin to rev up the clown car again today arent we

polite? depends, つもり is presumptuous
grammatically correct? hah
続けるつもり(でいますか/ですか)

How do you ask for "intent" without being presumptuous?

Like... "Do you have any plans on X~?"

さー、お前らの方はどうだ?できるのか?

just avoid implying anything unnecessary pretty much
つもり can work fine, but it might sound like you're putting their intent into question in some cases

まったくできません

それをまだ続けるのですか?
Isn't this fine? I don't think there is a need to be more polite than this.

できる、かも

ボーカル

>likability

dic.nicovideo.jp/a/はよ

Been seeing はよ used a lot on twitter, but interestingly enough, it's pronounced ワヨ.

I supposed it doesn't matter since it's as trivial as pronouncing lol as "lawl", but still interesting.

that page says ワヨ is the wrong way to pronounce it.

Strange, I thought I was supposed to understand grammar naturally after finishing core 6k.

Guess I was wrong.

I thought it was pronounced ハヨ to begin with.

To the guy who made the third revision of the autoscroll HTML: thank you. I made the second revision but all I added was cosmetic stuff, you really made it nice and professional. The character and line counter in particular is brilliant. My only complaint would be that the default character brightness is way too dim.

What do i do so that Kanji will sink in my brain?

Got 83% today. It was a nice surprise after my 70% yesterday. Still consistently 50-60% on mature cards. My memory is usually pretty good, but this mining deck is too hard.

5% anki, 95% reading.

It gets a lot better in about half a year into mining.

>third revision
リンク頂戴

What reading materials does /djt/ recommend for a beginner?

I'm already at 5 months. I think it is only going to get worse.

put in the time

tae kim
the guide
yotubato

Second revision, rather. The original, then mine (the revision of the original), then his. I meant third version. Here's the link anyway. pastebin.com/raw/HxjV6YrB

>JSLs giving production advice
what could possibly go wrong?

i do wonder

JSLs, ESLs, EOPs, 複雑すぎ

Just be glad you're not an EOP

>tfw ESL and JTL

1+ to yotsubato

its worth all the slang and 'unique' handwriting, google trans app camera is quicker than mouse plus more accurate than kanjitomo

*mouse drawing

>can't find 姫
am I blind or retarded

Is that refrain labyrinth something? How is it? Been a while since I've played a dungeon crawler.

Did you try scrolling down?

Does changing the new day start time fuck up your intervals?

only just started, ask me later

I'm trying to write lore and can't find a fucking joyo kanji

as you can tell it goes into ギ in the bottom row

it's under キ and they left it out right? I'm not dekinai, right??

sauce?

that feel when you put off reviewing and now it's been at least half a year

>夫婦
>工夫
okay
>夫妻
fuck

Why would you need this for a manga with complete furigana?

>complete furigana
not on the handwriting

>character speaks in a manner completely different from everyone else in the show
>translations sound exactly the same
why is this allowed?

I'm not looking for a perfect rendering of another language's dialect, but I feel like there should be at least something to indicate that
>ちいとききたいことがあるんやけど、かまへんかな
isn't how a normal character would say they want to ask you a question. Even though I'm still relying on subs for maybe half of the dialogue, picking up on things like this that I didn't pick up on at all the first time through as an EOP makes me glad I took up the quest of becoming a thousand-times-folded nihongo master.

or in other words:
>current year +0
>people still believe they "don't need to learn Japanese because everything good is subbed"

show me vids of sly gaijins talking shit to japanese people on their language

>anime characters subbed like texans or irish

>wanting regional dialects to be represented in english subs
why
any time a fansubber actually does make the effort to differentiate them for the sake of a joke in the show, it ends up fucking disgusting
like a half-assed attempt at a phonetic american southern accent

it's not like you have to learn japanese to be able to pick up on kansai-ben
especially if it's something super intense like yozuru's, you should notice her odd speech patterns long before you understand half the dialogue in monogatari

regional dialects aren't the only kind of weird speech patterns

I'm kind of upset that none of the localizations of any version of FSN give credit to shirou's grammatical gymnastics during the story scenes he does them in

the only reason they come through in the typemoon TL at all is because the english in it is mildly bad, and in the typemoon translation the the english of translated grammatical gymnastics is less unnatural than the english of translated normal statements for some reason

Best I've seen is Kansaiben to Aussie. Still not right at all but at least it's amusing.

What do you think should be done for characters like the father in flying witch? His tsugaru-ben being borderline unintelligible was a running joke in the series, but it was translated as being just kind of mildly southern which ended up turning totally justified confused pauses into moments of seeming mental retardation

>shirou's grammatical gymnastics during the story scenes he does them in
Like what?

Anyone?

i don't know, i kinda doubt anybody actually watches one of those scenes and comes out thinking "whew, makoto sure is deaf"
doing the bare minimum to distinguish the dialect is all you have to do, and that only if there's a joke that wouldn't carry over otherwise

it's a given that there's going to be something lost in translation when you sub a japanese cartoon in english, so anyone with common sense should be able to figure out what's really going on if you give them a hint
what's really a barrier is involved jokes like this one that subbers end up not even bothering with

おはようおにいちゃん

きのうの熱波で500人くらい搬送

6にんが重症以上だって

こんばんからあすのあさにかけては崩れるみたいで、すごしやすいよ

Maybe it's under ひ? Those kind of input systems are a pain.

Dallas Shootingに対してレッデトで「今の今までこうならなかったのが不思議だわ」って言われてこの「今の今まで」ってどういう意味なの?本状況って意味?

英語で「It's a wonder how things didn't end up this way」だろう

それにどうして「こうならなかった」って言われたの?何にならなかったの?

教えてくれ!

15% concentrated power of will

I keep forgetting the difference between 群衆 and
群集

>It's a wonder how things didn't end up this way

too ambiguous

日本語分からないならなぜ日本語でカキコするの?
レディットに帰れよ
今も今まで→Until just now.

Try writing it step by step in your mind.

*今の今まで
it's in rikai by the way

ナイスpost

I just finished reading the beginners guide. Do people in this thread actually purchase the recommended texts? Im sure it will speed up learning but how many people here actually bought them?

さっき気付いたところだ

>It's a wonder how things didn't end up like this sooner
>I'm surprised that with everything going on recently, this shooting didn't already happen

我已经实习完毕,现在有几件事情需要尽快解决

ひとのあつまってるのはだいたい群衆だとおもうよ

What does this mean?

opがホモであります

>666
あ・・・悪魔?魔人?

It means you're a faggot

飽くまで踊る
悪魔と踊る

OP ga homo, de arimasu.

が means there is some doubt, which is obviously incorrect.

>が means there is some doubt
誰に教わったそんなことを?!

あのんくんのちいきだと

「こむぎこ」の「しゅるい」っていくつ?

にほんはだいたい薄力粉・中力粉・強力粉の3しゅるいだよ

つまんねー事聞くなよ

>first vocab question bugged out and gave me a blank screen
I am very upset

日本語お上手ですね

yeah it was

any actual reason why?

I got a stupid question, who made the 2k6k vocab deck and for what reason?

I mean it's a great to have a premade deck, with example sentences, furigana and sound but all the business terms I get for weeks now make me wonder if I should start mining now.

If you can read then you should be mining, even if it means doing the mining deck alongside the core deck

Something I don't get in this guys answer although i understand it.

hinative.com/en-US/questions/44386

What is the difference between 決める and 決定する and 決断する?

決める、決定するの意味はほぼ同じです。ただし、与える印象が違います。決めるが最も汎用的です。決定するは主に書き言葉として使われ、固い印象を与えます。決断するは、意思をもって決めることを表します。

例:
今日の夕飯を決める。
仕入先をA社に変更することを決定する。
彼女との結婚を決断する。

What does 「使われ、」mean? Is that like an abbreviation of the passive form to connect his sentence or something?

>If you can read then you should be mining,
I can't, unless reading 10sentences per hour qualifies as reading.

probably because it's more well known as ひめ than by its on reading

to the user that has a hardon for reading and passionate hate of core, it does

just keep going, the business terms are few

it's 連用形 buddy

That's still reading, you can still mine from it at least, even if it would be slow

Up to you but I'd recommend doing so

But you can never get faster unless you start.
You don't even need to mine if you want, just try practicing to be able to read faster later.

決断は、10年かえられないくらいの決定だよ

決定は1年かえられないくらいの決め事だよ

決め事は1か月かえられないくらいの決めだよ

がんばっておにいちゃん

知らない
百姓じゃない

>rikai user doesn't know what onyomi are
surprise of the century

>音読み 【△】 キ
individual kanji study was a mistake

>even if it means doing the mining deck alongside the core deck
Doesn't everyone do their mining deck while still going through core?

i'm doing neither
大自在

くそポストの上級者ですね

>tfw just read the ending to this
hold me, 先輩達

Well I personally dropped core when I started mining, but I was already pretty close to 2K

百姓の脱糞をなめるな

泣きたい。。。

Ah yeah of course it is.

連用形 is functionally equivalent to て形 in this usage right? Apart from 連用形 perhaps being more formal.

泣かないでおにいちゃん