Do you think it's possible to create an anime set in an American high school, featuring very American characters...

Do you think it's possible to create an anime set in an American high school, featuring very American characters, while still appealing to otaku? Even if it has a Japanese protagonist?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjhbOH8m2U
youtube.com/watch?v=p5viyFoSoug
youtube.com/watch?v=lJ1IT3QBPYk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't see why not. A sports manga like Eyeshield, for instance.

Oh wait, you said "otaku". Hmm.

Actual otaku or western weebs?

Otaku sure because they're a bunch ameriboos.
Personally I'd stay away from it because Americans and their culture fucking disgust me and nothing would make me happier than to see them all wiped off the face of the earth. The last thing I would want is them to become prevalent in a medium I went to in order to escape their globalist taint.

Like Panty Stocking or more so?

Woah. Sorry but this post reeks of wapanese.

Rude.

Projecting. At no point does he say "I am American", and there's plenty of Europoors that dump on America, rightfully so. Maybe he'd just rather watch anime than America's shitty TV and Movie exports.

Heroman????

I thought my use of "them" would make it pretty clear. Apparently not to a dimwitted burger.

please stop

>that dump on America, rightfully so

What's so bad about the USA and it's media? Not even american, it just interests me.

Speaking of globalist taint. Isn't anime just as influenced by american media as every other media today?

Why don't you watch your own country's media then?

Japanese otaku. I was alluding to the series having an American flavor; use of American school archetypes and such.

No, because anime studios are in the end still companies who need a profit. Pandering to a western (read: american) audience won`t pay off for them, because be honest 99% of potential buyers in the west just pirate all their shit

I hope america invades your shitty country and gives it some freedom.

Because thanks to your globalist culture industry machine there is no such thing as "my country's media". It's just carbon copies of the same disposable, non-lasting "culture" that you export. The entire youth generation chooses to communicate in Americanised english half the time despite the country having had 0 years of occupation by the British or Americans.

Maybe if someone adapted Ketchup Ninja

Who would want to watch a show about an American high school? Speaking from experience it's boring and old as fuck

Stay salty, other europoor here, we actually have some decent media from here. Maybe it`s just that you suck

I hope you get shot by either a trigger-happy police officer, a gangbanging nigger, or a crazy permavirgin lunatic with an assault rifle, whichever comes first.

High school romantic comedies and guns don't fit together so the answer is no.

they could just adapt this
a dab of japanese animation style and dubbing and it should be good to go

it even has a harem where one girl wins at the end so they can argue about it

no.

Sure. Japan sometimes did series about other nations with protagonists of other countries.
Little Women from Nippon Animation, which was part of the World Masterpiece Theater was very good.
Technically, a very interesting American high school setting could be done.
But in most cases, high school shows are rather dumb and dull, be they set in Japan or America or Europe or Africa or Antarctica or wherever.
Heck, the American cartoon shows set in high school produced by Americans for Americans ain't really that hot either.

Are you really telling me that there's no "western" influence on japanese media anime included. Has your hate for the USA blinded you for the obvious?

Sure they're not pandering to the "west", but they sure as hell get influenced by it.

All I'm getting from you irrational blabbering is that you hate everything "western" because it's influenced by the evil lizards in the USA. That makes you in my definition a weaboo.

Everyone around the world has heard of, and loves, popular TV anime Red Garden, right?

>What's so bad about the USA and it's media?
To go into detail on the subject is a little beyond the scope of 4chans. I'll give an example, and comparison I like to make, though.

Take for instance, the SitCom, ubiquitous on USA TV, and the SoL anime, cute girls doing cute things, and all that, ubiquitous on late night anime. Both about simple characters, both about day-to-day life, both lacking in development in story or character, both centered around simple humor.

But the difference is that USA tv, Sitcoms, feel like every joke is made with the writer cross their fingers that the audience has never heard it before. Common jokes, common plots, like law abiding middle class trying drugs, or a secretly gay friend, or seeing a friend naked on accidentally, or a child character having trouble in a gym class' dodge-ball sessions, etc. The shows work on the idea that audience has either never heard the joke before, or have forgotten it if they have.

Anime though, it's arguably even more formulaic. Beach episode, hot springs episode, comiket episode, baseball, curry, camping, whatever. But the difference is that these scenes and tropes are chosen specifically and consciously because the people that write for them know the audience have seen them before and have certain expectations for it. And not because they're out of ideas either.

I think that's a big difference overall. American's serve no one, their works are targeted to everyone and anyone. Japanese at least know who it is they want to watch or see what they do, and make it with those people in mind.

Hot opinions, I know, but that's just how I feel about things, as someone who grew up with American TV and still has to suffer it on occasion and someone who'd much rather watch anime.

Thank you for proving my point. You are a prime example of a wapanese.

>American High School

Shit is boring as fuck. Don't do it.

t. American who graduated a literal year ago.

>My definition
>They are getting influenced because I say so
>You must be blinded by hate if you have a different opinion
You sure are autistic

Looks interesting by the description.

>hurr boring
And anime presents high school realistically?

Sure, but it would have to be haremshit or take place at an all girls high school for them to watch it.

>t.

It wont be profitable cause then all the characters would be fat.

What a masterful non-sequitur. I am deafeated.

We call that Tuesday here.

>I hate America so fucking much
>But I'll learn their language
>Argue on their websites
>And immerse myself on their culture to the point where I don't notice it

Like I have a choice? The cancer permiates ever facet of society. How the fuck does me hating it make me wapanese? Are you clinically retarded?

People who watch anime think Japan school life is inherently dreamy for some reason.

>their language
I came to this thread just to laugh at you.

>dude weed lmao
>dude let's get shitfaced xd
>haaha dude lets take a shit on the principals car

Yeah, fuck that.

Are you trying to troll me, dude? Do you even read the shit you write yourself?

>My definition
It's not just my definition anymore. Like I said previously you are the textbook definition of a weaboo. You hate "western culture", but embrace "japanese culture". Think about that for a second. Still there?
>They are getting influenced because I say so
You sure are the autistic one here. Japan is just as influenced by the USA as the rest of the world. Do you really think Anime is the last bastion against evil globalism? Take your yukata off and get real. American influence is everywhere in Japan. Still there?
>You must be blinded by hate if you have a different opinion
It sure seems like blind hate the way you represent your opinion. America is bad > Japan is good. That's a blinded opinion if you ask me.

TLDR; Don't try to hide your shitty world views behind pseudo pseudo intellectual blabbering,

Sorry Britain it became ours when we reached the point of having the most first language English speakers on the planet.

>Americans
>Small-minded
>egoistic
>bad attitudes
>rude
>ugly

American get out

I take it you haven't seen the highest selling anime ever, The World of Golden Eggs?

>Japanese protagonist
Disgusting.

EVRYBADY NEEEEDS MEEEEEH
SHOULD AH SAY BELIEEEEVE MEEEH

>more high school settings

wow calm down man, without america we wouldn't have things like war or sadness, be grateful.

I was thinking this too

Fuck America. They're the reason why my cornflakes were too soggy this morning.

What makes you people think normal high school life is more interesting in Japan? Just because your normal American high school experience was boring doesn't mean everyone's is, nor does it mean a good fictional story can't be made in that setting.

No serafuku so it's shit.

Why not a Sandy Hook adaptation instead? Probably going to be a nice thriller

I'd eagerly wait for the school shooting episode

>bizarro Sup Forums
>everyone's discussing the usual american highschool set cartoon
>OVA
>school shooting episode
>MC has plot armor and thus status quo is maintained
>people dropping the OVA

why?

>anime
>american flavor
you mean like teen titans? shit sucked

No, because American schools lack the culture. This is coming from someone who came from Asia to North America.

That was the reverse.

Based on a Kumeta manga maybe. The burger butthurt would be amazing.

>What makes you people think normal high school life is more interesting in Japan?
1 - because a typical american high school setting would look exactly like one of those disney channel series. If you made it into an anime not only it would be a cringe fest, it would suck balls
2 - people come here for anime and Japanese culture. For american culture, there's Sup Forums
3 - the japs aren't that interested in american culture.

>an anime set in an American high school
Can't wait for characters taste all the OISHI food.

Actually, the nipponjins are interested in Americulture. They like them superheroes, they like them movies, they like them Simpsons, and they like them sports. At least normalfag nipponjins do.
Cause you know, the grass is always greener on the other side, and America is exotic to them.

Doesn't necessarily mean that an anime about American high school would be popular, of course. After all, if they wanna watch American high school stuff, they simply watch dubs or subs of whatever American cartoon set in American high school.
Or preferably live action shows.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjhbOH8m2U

Aw yiss

>their language

>Argue on their websites
Yes, the owner is a 100% proud and patriotic American

>Heroman????

Came here looking for this post, surprised you are the only one to mention it.

Bully was fairly popular in Japan, and more recently Life is Strange has been getting some attention which is surprising considering how American the setting and characters are.

I want to see a Columbine manga dedicated to that day and reasons why two heroes made an importance to the American education system.

>anime set in an American high school
>wanting a show about edgelords shooting classmates and cock-craving sluts
Nips would dislike that shit

No, because by episode 1 the school would be shot up and every one would be dead.

Is Detroit really such a horrible place?

>it's a school shooting episode

Fuck America. It should be set in a more interesting country, such as anywhere else with the exception of possibly
Wales.

Here's an example of the standard American high school.

youtube.com/watch?v=p5viyFoSoug

So, it would just be a normal yanki high school with yankees.

>with yankees

No, apes.

>It should be set in a more interesting country, such as anywhere else with the exception of possibly Wales.
>neglects the vast desert of interesting content surrounding Quebec
This is why we need flags on all boards and an option to filter posts by flag.

Americans all look the same to me anyway.

>wales
>country

Hundreds of years later and the taffies still haven't learned

>be american high school student
>get shot

In the knee?

>anime with American setting
I'll fucking leave anime for good if this become a thing.

Then it definitely should happen

But that already exists.

>it's a delinquent episode
youtube.com/watch?v=lJ1IT3QBPYk

It's more than enough that's the Japanese video game developers started pandering to the west and now anime too?
Fuck off.

Ketchup-Ninja

Which would be some obligatory episodes?
>school shoting
>bullying
>the nigger pack
>drug dealing

Greasers vs socs.

Catholic school uniforms are still a thing.

>the japs aren't that interested in american culture.
What rock are you living under?

Penis inspection day.

>pregnant girl giving birth in the school bathroom episode
>16-year-old-girl gets into a car crash and dies episode
>"WORLDSTAR" episode
>false rape allegations against the gym teacher episode
Man do I miss highschol

I see this working, but only if you had:

An America-obsessed Japanese transfer student as the MC.
A weaboo American as his best friend and sidekick.

Then use this as a basis for parody, taking the piss out of tropes and the stereotyped lifestyles of these two.