How much value do you put into visual direction?

How much value do you put into visual direction?

0 I only care about the plot and cute girls

i think youre confusing visual direction for really good background artists doing too good of a job for their undeserving mediocre animation teams.

How much value do you put in threads from 6 months ago?

What is visual direction?

I appreciate it when it's there, but it's never a decider in whether I drop a series or not.

A lot, otherwise why bother animating it? Bad animation is worse than an evocative description in a book.

They're still look good even as low-res thumbnails. The composition is pleasing and fits the mood of the show. It's more than just detailed rendering

Zero.

Animes should be just text on screen.

> visual direction
Define it.

I guess it's a blanket term used to describe the arrangement of all the visual aspects of an anime.

A lot, which is why I love Ufotable.

Quite a bit.

Composition, colour palette, and movement. It dictates what's happening on a macro level, within the frame as a whole.

"Direction" implies something separate from "design": characters, environments etc. This dictate how things look on a micro level.

Kyoani circlejerk thread?

Having a good production quality is very pleasant but it doesn't automatically make a show good. And that's why Kyoani is overrated.

>6 months ago
Nigger, this shit has been going on since early 2015.

I would disagree. Good production quality will almost always ensure the final product is watchable, even if it isn't valuable in any other way.

>Having a good production quality is very pleasant
Agreed, and that's why KyoAni are enhanced from good to great.

What's important is the story (it it's not SoL), the characters and specific things of the gerne like good comedy. Good production quality is a nice thing but it's not nearly as important as the things I've just listed. A show can look and sound beautiful but that doesn't mean that it's fun to watch. On the other hand, a show can look and sound terrible but have a great story or character development which makes it good.

Doesn't mean shit it's mostly stills and panning of said stills.

Production value is part of how story and character development are told. Shitty production value will almost always hamper the quality of your story by making it more difficult to tell and forcing you to use subpar methods to tell it.
Also, I disagree. Shows that look and sound beautiful are often fun to watch on a visceral basis alone.

>What's important is the story
Nope, storytelling is most important.

>plotfags

Only actual important thing is having an enjoyable cast of characters to watch. Everything else is just a bonus in the end.

I believe animation should focus more on anime's strength of projecting the illusion of motion (and good narrative) then obsessing over frame-rates

None. I'm blind.

It can make mediocre or slow anime more watchable for me

Zero.

Only care about the story and decent enough art not to ruin said story.

Kiznaiver was the best of spring.
Hopefully Kobayashi directs more originals

Let's just post nice cinegrids.

Only slightly less value than I put into musical direction.

The anime adaptation of pic related is honestly one of the best, because of the soothing color palette and the nice and simple soundtrack.

Well, it's finally time to watch Alien 9.

we agree that kyoani is the only good studio, amirite?

Yes.

Congrats on being the cancer that's killing anime.

third pic looks like that girl from rewrite

is that what hymen break means?

Animation and direction can easily make a cast more endearing and engaging though.

>there are people on this board that unironically praise Madhouse as the current best studio and KyoAni as the current worst

I know you're an old memelord, but did you also create this thread yesterday?

Very. Animation and sound direction are both of incredible importance.

A good story and characters are a bonus but happen rarely in anime. When they all come together, it's an amazing feeling.

There is literally nothing impressive about that shot.

It's polished and just looks nice, the framing isn't anything special
This one's a bit better

To get really good characters, you need a bit of everything. Writing, directing, voice acting, animating, etc.

The only real unimportant thing is plot.

Composition, color direction, digital effects, nice painting.

This
Characters > Animation > Plot

It's not bad but there's nothing impressive about it.

This one is much better.

Is Tamako Market the only anime with a pastel palette? I haven't seen another one.

Old Takahata and Usagi Drop come to mind.

Watch more fucking anime, then. It's not even that rare.

Or maybe you don't know what a real pastel palette is.

Leave them alone

I might be retarded, but is not pastel?

that school
I appreciate it when the backgrounds of a work become a character of the work itself.

>plot

Pastels have high value and medium or low saturation.

is pastel

are not pastel

Its nice to have good visual direction but if its not there dont really care im all about the writing

Kiznaiver is well directed and animated but is highly mediocre in all other regards.

maybe he means the plot

Music can make or break a show.
Visual direction is usually best when you don't notice it at all.

even the animation is pretty lazy at times
But that story was fucking garbage

Visual direction you don't notice is usually boring as shit. Honestly, your statement is more accurate in the case of music than it is in the case of visual direction.

Really I'd say it depends on the kind of visual/musical direction

it can elevate a mediocre project into a good one if its done well, but if the project is garbage than it doesn't matter what the visuals are.

Visuals are important, but they are not core. I can watch an ugly mess if everything else is excellent, but I can't watch a beautiful piece of garbage.

I really liked how they handled the low-lighting scenes in episode 1. Shame the later episodes opted for muh dark blue tint.

Sakura + night sky (+ moon) is such a common combination that never fails to look pretty. I can easily recall the scenes from Hanayamata, New Game that employs the same imagery.

People misunderstand "visual direction" as "how pretty the images are". Sure is nice when things look good, but a show that can use its visuals to tell a story effectively will always be above average at the very least. It's a medium of visual storytelling, where imagery should be used accordingly.