So, finally got around to ergo proxy; just finished episode 1 and did not understand half of what was happening...

so, finally got around to ergo proxy; just finished episode 1 and did not understand half of what was happening. will it become more clear?

Yes. But it's still nothing to write home about. A passable watch all the same

I dropped it at episode 1. None of it was interesting enough to even pay attention to half of the incoherent drivel. Maybe it does clear up, but fuck me.

Kind of. There's one episode that explains some of the the backstory of the world, but it's definitely a show that makes much more sense on a second viewing.

>will it become more clear?
RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE but really no it won't

It's shit, spend your limited time on something else.

I remember dropping it 5 minutes in. I was bored as hell.

Yes. Eventually.
The philosophical musings is as clumsy as you'd expect from a Chinese cartoon, but surprisingly it hits on some legitimately well thought-out themes here and there. The ending of the last episode is fucking hype. And Pino a cute. This is indisputable.
Worth watching imo.

You shouldn't waste your time watching this garbage.

You won't understand anything for the whole show, then in the last episode someone will be like "oh btw, that was the plot all along."
Not very satisfying in that aspect.

Just try to enjoy it on an episodic basis, like "The wacky adventures of Re-l Vicent and Pino."

Yes. When I first tried to watch the series I probably watched the first episode 3 times without knowing what was happening. I finally decided to just keep going and it finally made sense.

pretty much

Ergo Proxy is "throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks: the anime".

And what sticks is the characterization of the 3 protags.

HOT
PROXY
DICK

Not liking this anime is basically a meme around here. Nobody really talks about it but everybody pretty much knows it's good. It won't be the best thing you ever watch but if you like mysteries and you like post apocalyptic sci fi shit then go ahead and strap in. If that's not your thing quit while you're ahead.

Basically this.

I liked it, and it's still one of my all time favorites, but don't feel obligated to like/finish it.

>that scene where Vincent opens his eyes

gave me chills tbhf

Yeah, man. That and the very last scene... I'm glad there's no season 2, because it couldn't possibly live up to what was left to our imaginations.

The thing is that pretty much everyone who watched it back in the day was baited into expecting Goth in the Shell, and their expectations were deceived HARD.

Now I agree that it's a "good" anime insofar as it's entertaining and beautiful, but it's still very clumsily-written, so not liking it is still perfectly legitimate regardless of whether you were baited or not.

i'm on episode 13 so far and it does become a lot more clear actually.
not sure what kind of ending to expect though.

It's been one episode, jackass. It's a good show. OP is 10/10 though.

Ergo Proxy is the best pleb filter anime of all time.

a confusing one

>didnt understand what was going on in the first episode

Shouldnt that have basically filled you in to the fact that its one of those kind of shows?

> will it become more clear?

In your second watch, yes.

EP is one of my favorites but its the kinda show you really need to watch twice
also the first 5 or so episodes are totally different from the rest of the show
Honestly I was about the drop it til they left the city, then Vincent and Re-L got waaay more interesting
Love the designs for the Proxies. Shame this show did poorly and will never ever get any figmas or anything

Its ultimately a flawed show with some of the best single episodes of anime ever made.

Everything does get explained more or less.

It wouldn't be any fun if you understood everything on the first watch OP. The first time I watched Ergo Proxy I didn't understand most of it, but I was still enjoying the ride and I came out of it thinking it was pretentious, fun, but pretentious. I came back to it a few years later and was blown away, I fucking loved it and understood everything perfectly and I don't think it's pretentious at all. It's not super deep, but I don't think it was meant to be. Just watch it and have fun with it OP, it's a pretty good ride of a show.

I just love the character designs and the setting.

It's a shame the dialogue is horrendous and the plot is weak to nonsensical because everything else down to animation direction and music is top notch.

Episode 16 is great, probably my favorite single episode in this actually.

Is this one of those shows that gets shit on by underage trying to fit in because its "pretentious," or is it actually shit?

Flawed gem

COME AND SAAAAAAAAAVVEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

it was ok

The former. Hating on Ergo Proxy is beyond meme status. It's a good show, not perfect, but a damn good show and I wish there were more anime like it.

It has a lot of good moments, but everything is either under explained with too much vagueness/lack of focus, or you're never told something explicitly crucial that would be incredibly helpful for putting everything together.
After the first couple of episodes it becomes really engaging, but some stuff is TOO DEEP or not deep enough. Worth the watch.

it's honestly shit, not the worst and it has a few good bits but that gameshow ep will really show you the incompetence of the writer as if you wouldn't have already noticed that anyway

Believe in me
and drink the wine
and take my hand
and fill me up

the OP was probably the best part

That episode showcasing them losing their minds with isolation and boredom was amazing though.

I agree. Lets rate the inconsequential episodes.

>Someone Like You/Ophelia
Pretty good 7/10
>Nightmare Quiz Show/Who Wants to Be in Jeopardy!
This is kind of amazing 8/10
>Dead Calm/Busy Doing Nothing
Among best episodes of anything I ever watched 10/10
>The Girl with a Smile/Eternal Smile
It's a bit fun 6/10
>Sacred Eye of the Void/Goodbye, Vincent
Boring and dull 3/10