CGI is fucking cancer holy fucking christ

You will be alive to witness the fall of anime

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HhwXxjiqDEU&t=0s
youtube.com/watch?v=15mfslsD_Bw
youtube.com/watch?v=KZi0neoZJfM
youtube.com/watch?v=R1z7c-_pqeA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It could become a way to produce anime a lot cheaper while still looking good some years down the line, if they'd concentrate on improving upon shit like Paper Man and were using actual animation techniques like distortions.
But they don't and it's a fucking nightmare.

If it gets to the point where nips learn that cgi cannot be presented in 20 fps then I think it'll get better. Final Fantasy and such have good, anime-like cgi.

To a point, the only thing that stays "anime-like" is the wacky hair that's perfectly gelled and eyes kind of; other than that the CGI is beautiful enough to be real as well.

Tales of zX is bretty gud.

Now, if only ufotable could do berserk, then it'd look fucking GORGEOUS, if you HAVE to mix CG with animu, they've got it down pat.

America tends to do alright with CGI. Not sure why Japan was such a hard time at it.

ufotable CG actually looks good though.

ufo isn't great at CG by any means. The berserk vs gilgamesh scene was just passable. Traditionally animated dogfights form something like macross plus look way better and that aired 20 years ago.

Anyway here us how great CGI by nips looks like. youtube.com/watch?v=HhwXxjiqDEU&t=0s

Zestiria makes Berserk look like a complete joke

>trying to mix in CGI with hand drawn and it just comes off as unsettling
worked for gits.

This thread again.

As long as 3D models are used to cut costs where gap between 2D animators' wages and 3D animators' wages exist, they won't look good. Minimal investment → low quality result.

Watch ''Noiseman'' and remember it's from 1995.

the same was said about digital compositing, now it#s industry standard and we're getting better coloring out of it.

Digital compositing is what people should be complaining about, not the 3D modelers.

That's the stage in the production line where the studio is supposed to blend together the 3d and 2d. It's the part where special effects and lighting and shit is added and a whole lot more.

Anime studios' whole fuckin pipeline for 3d and 2d integration is fucked up.

Effects won't save you if the CG is shit. Getting it right is necessary, not sufficient.

I don't think you know what you're talking about if you honestly believe good compositing can't make bad CG good

I think it was the director of Sidonia who said that they intentionally lowered the framerate to make it feel more natural for anime viewers. Since normal shows are typically done at low framerates, it would be too jarring if CG suddenly came with fluid motion. Basically, don't hold your breath for it to become standard.

You cant win with 2d and CG
My impression is that if they notice it, they will hate it.

Compositing and coloring are different things. When PC performance became cheap enough, digital compositing was a no-brainer: scanning high resolution sources and doing anything you want with them in software was both less expensive and more productive than dealing with dusty cels, calculating offsets for movement, having an independent stage for effects, etc. First years of digital coloring were shit because they didn't use proper anti-aliased smart fills overlayed with original lines on paper and just filled the SD black & white contours in MS Paint-level tools instead. You might wonder why, as graphics programmer can invent something that solves that problem in a day and have a usable tool ready in a week. Well, most studios don't use such hacks, they buy ''professional'' tools, and ''professional'' tools couldn't offer anything decent for some time. Have you noticed the moment a lot of anime started using colored and textured lines for dreamlike and climax scenes? That was probably a new release of Software X with a preset for that.

So I state my point again: as long as readily available tools only offer ''cel-shaded 3D models we all like'', we will see that in anime, plain and simple.

Also, some studios (cough… TOEI… cough…) switched to vector lines to solve the filling problem at that time.

We had 3D mecha on 2D backgrounds or 2D characters on 3D backgrounds for years. Switching between 2D and 3D versions of the same object/character is more tricky, but it has been done without raising too much of a fuzz.

It can be done. It just won't happen in the lowest-budget show of the season.

Look at gut's plastic cape. How is compositing going to save that?

youtube.com/watch?v=15mfslsD_Bw

I thought zoids was pretty good.

CGI is the future. The biggest problem is when they mix CGI and hand drawn anime and make the CGI move around a lot because it's cheap.

More like this.

These two endings of precure are the best renditions of 2.5d anime that I've seen bar none. I especially love how the faces look so natural.
youtube.com/watch?v=KZi0neoZJfM
youtube.com/watch?v=R1z7c-_pqeA

Other studios should be trying to emulate this technique.

dokdoki 1&2: the best so far
gopri 1: meh, looks like plastic
gopri 2: OH GOD, MY EYES
hacha 1: jj abrahms
hacha 2: ok
maho 1: broom guitars/10
maho 2: direction a clusterfuck. technically ok. why are they shiny in space?