STEM is a dead meme

It's 2017. What happened to STEM? English and Communications are becoming the most rapidly wanted degrees in the USA. It all comes down to STEM folks being so technically minded they can't communicate for shit in writing or otherwise and companies desperately need people who can communicate at a college level.

What a fucking turn of events this is. Two dumpster fire degrees from a decade ago becoming #1 and #2 wanted degrees in 2018 predictions say.

Other urls found in this thread:

tetratech.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=136842
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck did I fall for a meme ..I'm in engineering

And I suck at math and electronics

>communications
>most wanted

Gotta make sure those drooling admin and HRtards file legible paperwork and can have "team meetings" about synergy and teamwork.

t.econ and finance consultant

Good goy. Go major in comms. See where that leads you (poverty)

engineering sucks

they won't even hire you after you're ~35

stats is still good

sorry you got a meme math or physics degree

I just graduated from a mid-tier school with a barely acceptable GPA in Computer Science. I'm now 22 and I make 75k as a software Engineer. Not earth-shattering by any means, but more than enough to pay the bills and put some money away.
STEM isn't a meme, the problem is that lazy fucks think it's a magic ticket to easy money and so they don't put in the work at internships and such throughout college.

I minor'd in stats and wish I had done it as my major instead. A lot of my friends from my stats classes are actuaries now, they make BANK.

>English and Communications are becoming the most rapidly wanted degrees in the USA
Filling out paper forms for a living.
>And I suck at math
Sup Forums never used to have this problem with it's users.

Just because some people are retarded and sneak into stem is no issue. Writing is important but if you can't write at a college level by the time you are 17 you are pretty much not going to make it. That is all you do in the professional world is write extensively.

Its my least favorite subject and I am still better than most people.

>English and Communications are becoming the most rapidly wanted degrees in the USA
(citation needed)

yup, my career path

You basically get to communicate to people. As a secretary.

Certain parts of STEM are a total meme. Tons of people who major in physics, chemistry, and engineering never use the shit they learn.

Communication means to do some sort of support job sitting in the cubicle office 9 to 5, yeah? Support monkeys do not have carrier ladder.

I am in chem degree. Am I fugged?

Can OP communicate a citation

They called me a fool.

if you're an idiot and have no licenses or work experience sure
no motivation is a good one too

Here is NACE’s list of academic majors, showing the percentage of student applicants who had at least one job offer by the time they graduated:

Computer Science: 68.7%
Economics: 61.5%
Accounting: 61.2%
Engineering: 59%
Business Administration: 54.3%
Sociology/Social Work: 42.5%
Mathematics/Statistics: 40.3%
Psychology: 39.2%
History/Political Science: 38.9%
Healthcare: 37.8%
Liberal Arts/Humanities: 36.8%
Biology: 35.2%
Communications/Journalsim: 33.8%
English: 33%
Environmental Science: 30.5%
Education: 28.9%
Visual & Performing Arts: 27.8%

Exactly
>guys I got a magic piece of paper and put in a whole hour filling out 2 job applications without any references because I'm too dumb/lazy to network why won't anyone higher me waaaaaah

STEM oversaturation is a real thing. My cousin just started his Sophmore year at uni and his professors are telling kids to stay away from stem degrees for at least 5-10 years since for a solid decade and a half they fucked up and told all kids to get stem degrees and flooded the job market. Now companies need support staff. I didn't say these jobs were going to suddenly start paying stem numbers just the most wanted.

>Engineering: 59%
They really should split that up into actual disciplines. Electrical engineers get hired, environmental """""engineers""""" do not.
Also Petros and ChemEs aren't doing too hot right now but they're always cyclical employment rate due to how volatile the oil and gas industry is.

Retarted liberal arts major detected.
Yeah I'm calling bullshit on OP's claim.

>be chemical engineering major
>got to thermodynamics 1
>all it is hysys, matlab and excel
>have matlab homework due every night
>it keeps piling on
I feel like an insane person trying to some impossible feat. i haven't talked to my friends in over a year. how can any sane person say that STEM is a meme when most normal people drop out by thr first year?

yeah english and communications are really going to needed when I automate your starbucks job, fucking idiot.

>They really should split that up into actual disciplines.
Agreed, it is organized kind of weird. Computer Science is generally taught from Engineering departments (or the Math departments if the program has been around at that school for a long time).

You'll find many engineering disciplines almost as high (maybe higher in some specific cases) than Computer Science, and some almost as low as say English.

t. cuck who was tricked into majoring in something as fucking stupid as communications whose professor is now lying to him so he can keep his job

>no motivation to get paid $120k and make the guy above me $50,000,000

yep. you're right.

They're the ones who dropped out

Well new on Sup Forums a year or two

Sauce?

A lot of the big shops and factories are being bought out by kike-owned conglomerates like Berkshire-Hathaway, who love to who hire Jews, women, and Asians. Whites are getting purged out of manufacturing as fast as (((they))) can get away with it, especially in aerospace. Want to be a white engineer, machinist, or programmer working for a tier-one Boeing contractor? Better be ready to work 60-80 hours a week and get treated like shit by management. They don't even care about quality or tolerances in manufacturing anymore, just speed and appearances. We'll be China-tier in a couple of years.

Uh what I'm two years out of college and make 90k/yr wtf are you talking about you autist

T. Telecom engineer

contrary to the meme of "getting skilled" so you don't get replaced, good-paying STEM jobs get automated because engineering hours are expensive
you aren't competitive for a STEM job unless you have internships and/or work experience, and of course you aren't competitive for internships as a student if your grades aren't good
I think it was EE where the bottom 50% of grads don't even get a job in their field
also most of the IT field is rapidly becoming blue-collar, or at least resembling it in function

Hey, what's a telecom engineer?
Did you have to learn any computer networking stuff?

I didn't realize you were a troll until you said English and communications lol

3/10

We learn statics, math and then they show us all can be done in MATLAB...

>most of the IT field is rapidly becoming blue-collar
It's always been that way. IT (meaning computer, network, and server installation, configuration, and maintenance) is basically a trade in a lot of ways.

His professors are idiots. Universities are jumping at the opportunity to import Chinese and Indian undergraduates so that they can make money hand over fist on international student tuition. Guess what? The majority of them go into STEM fields, get hired into STEM positions, or go into STEM graduate programs.

>T1 universities don't suffer the same fate.
Most universities known for their STEM programs have become crammed with foreign students, relative to their percentage of the student body, even when comparing within a recent and relatively short time span, say a decade ago. This is especially true at T1, and especially true of graduate programs.

The over-saturation that exists right now is a result of (1) importation of far to many foreign students; and (2) the ease at which government assures universities tuition via student loan programs. This would eventually result in an over-saturation of all fields if all students were retained. Luckily, not everyone makes it in difficult fields, like STEM. Unfortunately, universities are trying to pad the numbers by massive, systemic grad inflation and lower entrance standards. This is further promoted by the same at the high school level, and a promotion of the mentality that university is a higher education form of vocational training. Bottom line, academia is a cluster fuck of politics that most students never experience. Just keep in my mind universities serve their own interests, not yours.

That said, STEM fields, especially more rigorous areas like electrical engineering, will have no shortage of jobs for people willing to network, do internships, and put in more than a minimal effort to pass.

>t. academician

We have too many h1bs

Stats is on the way out, one of the jobs that can 100% be done by ai

Nigga Matlab is babby shit

career paths for humanities major (sophomore philosophy and russian at high ranked school, internship experience, good gpa, etc.) outside of government/law/or teaching? I'm under the impression that these are the only viable options, and I'm afraid I might be right. can liberal arts majors do an MBA?

what cannot be subverted will be destroyed user

MFW Great Engineer and Great Communication skills.

Thanks /SIG/!

What should an aspiring Mechanical Engineer do to become successful?

As long as you have any undergraduate degree you can typically apply for an MBA program. Whether or not you get accepted is another matter, though.

STEM is good if you're from a 3rd world country. My company only hires changs with mechanical engineering degrees. Cheaper and more reliable. American engineers are instantly rejected.

It’s becoming the Logan’s Run of employment.

Practice explaining your ideas using non-technical terms. Has earned me the respect of the normies (Project Managers, COO/CEOs) and it's generally a good path to advancement to be in their good graces.

> English and Communications most wanted degrees
OP is willfully lying. These liberal arts degrees will ruin your life and you will work in retail.
Get a STEM degree, do a 5th year master's program. Search for jobs before you graduate, so you know what's out there and if you need to relocate. Good luck Gen Z, we're counting on you.

YES. I've been saying for ages we need more english shakespearian scholars.

It's been pushed since the 90s, more so recently. They're still pushing it in elementary and middle schools even.

Yeah alot of it telecommunications engineering is basically network engineering but on a massive scale with broadband technologies. If you google it theres a pretty good wikipedia article describing it there are various specialties i deal mainly with wireless communications technology.

college is fucking hell life just gets progressively worse from here doesn't it

How do you like econ and finance? I'm thinking of making the change from software dev to financial analyst and maybe eventually finance consultant.

t. honorary kike

Dual-major both and be a quantitative analyst. Make bank.

I am laughing my ass off at this shit. I knew a girl who was "president" of the women in stem club at my university. She did environmental science aka liberal policy studies and couldn't even code. She knew nothing about science and could only use gis. Then when I asked her if she had any technological ideas she goes Iul no im more of an idea person. How fucking deluded can you be? Women I swear

Thanks for the heads up, i'll look in to that right now.

Business Administration covers so many fields.

>environmental science
>couldn't even code
There's nothing at all wrong with this.

why would you expect someone in environmental science to be able to code? They're studying weather patterns and impacts of invasive species and shit, what does that have to do with learning C or Java or whatever?

Do you have autism?

Soft skills, such as basic human interaction.
>smart guy says something accurate but complicated
>"in English please!"
>smart guy says it normally
that will be your life

It almost feels pointless to even go to uni if engineering grads are also struggling to find jobs

Lol she champions herself as a tech person. She doesn't know shit about weather patterns. Just Bull shit liberal policy nonsense. Plus she tells everyone she's learning but spends no time on it

Does the National Weather Service need non-TV meteorologists?

If you need to make a simulation of some environmental phenomenon it can be useful to also know MATLAB or Python or R or C++ or .NET or Java.

red herring, not an argument, etc

you're still an autistic retard for expecting ENVRIONMENTAL SCIENCE students to be able to code

no, it can be useful to RTFM of the commercially available weather phenomenon simulators on the market

if you're coding a new one, you're not going to be an environmental scientist, you're going to be a computer "science" person who is handed data sheets by environmental scientists

You're wrong, naive, and/or trolling.
It took me 10 seconds to find a job requiring both a background in Environmental Science and Coding.

Matlab isn't even used irl only in academia and I hate it it's fucked

>one job needs it so it's a basic facet of environmental science programs
you are functionally retarded. coding is not a part of environmental science programs.

>English and Communications are becoming the most rapidly wanted degrees in the USA.

Sorry buddy, I provided a link proving you wrong already.

At this point you are clinging desperately to your wrongness.

Can confirm I was in comp sci, dropping out and doing logistics instead.

A math/statistics minor can also be helpful, but if you have the quantitative finance classes, it can have the same effect.

This is just not true, the degree is good, the lack of experience is the killer. They want people with 5-10 years out the gate.

I originally got into uni for econ but I switched to comp sci. Would you recommend econ over logistics? I think I'm just going to drop out at this point.

I like how you're providing jobs off of taleo instead of any actual universities that have any kind of coding as compulsory courses.

Fucking retarded american. I hope all your kind are killed.

STEMfag here
Communication / English meetings are shit. The worst thing in a big company is meetings-bloat/creep. You can spend all day in meetings and planning and achieve nothing.
Basically, you got a false signal from HR, they aren't involved in execution.

Lol because you can get a lot done and benefit the world with a bullshit degree. When people who want to benefit the world aren't given a chance. :0 muh woman studies.

Thank you. I'm decent with numbers but i'm better at forecasting in the sense of looking ahead to what will be a good opportunity to invest in right now. For instance I shorted the Peso against the Dollar and made good money during Trump's campaign. Stuff like that. Is that more like a financial analyst?

mom, dad pay for a useless degree so that I can party for 4 years and then vote for barnie because "muh university degree"

>In my uni
>there is a welcome event for new students 3 weeks after the start of the year
>in humanities people literally did list of who was comming to class; as expected +50% said that they were not going to class, and classes were suspended that day

Arty creative fag detected.
If we left things up to you , we would all still be in caves.
caves with paintings, granted; but caves nonetheless.

Lol, you're giving him too much credit. Communications majors aren't arty. They're usually either retards, women, or niggers.

correctamundo, especially bad in tech both big and start up
>better at forecasting
not to be a cheerleader but econ does a good job at rounding you out with that mindset, looking at macro trends, or understanding the logic behind all of it

Its the most versatile major in terms of career focus especially combined with other studies
Unless you want t9 get into Fiscal Monetary govt type work, dont pursue it past undergrad unless you are aiming for research/teaching/politics.

I dunno man, your ad hominems suggest you are defeated.
What's wrong with that job listing again? You don't like the source?

Get checked for Lyme my Canadian brother.

same guy, you could also use econ if currencies are your thing as well

although if you are gungho about it perhaps financial management of corporate assets would be better if you have intuition for wealth expansion

People arguing about which degree is best are missing the point. An advanced degree is quickly becoming necessary if you want to do interesting shit and make important decisions in your field since every nog and thot is getting a degree (making them worthless as a whole).

A STEM degree with a master's will immediately put you into a spot to make 6 figures in a few years.

Economy has fundementally shifted. 4 types of jobs
>Service jobs involving dealing with people
>Semi skilled jobs producing goods (getting rarer)
>Skilled jobs that will always be useful (electrician)
>Knowledge jobs (room for biggest growth)

People who can't train or better themselves will be fucked.
In the West only Germany was able to enact the reforms needed to keep manufacturing jobs.

America lost its semi skilled jobs but got good wages for other jobs

>not growing cannabis
>not DJing at events (big to small)
>not owning part of a liquor store
>not doing paid gigs, eradicating feral hogs
>not doing part-time carpentry for "trendy hipsters" products
>what is massive debt?
>what is college?
t.former long hauler for 11 years

Wrong

Why not just do what you want instead of what'll make you successful?
I'm a teacher who specialized in English and critical thinking, I make a reasonable amount of money and I'm happier than I've ever been.

Hey I'm in physical electronics, and I'm thinking of going the optoelectronics route. Do you think optical telecommunications will keep booming in the foreseeable future? They were the next big thing in the 00s, I wonder if they will still be profitable in the 20s.

Owning "part" of a liquor store sounds like something a millennial would do. Do you share your car too?

Enjoy making the same pay grade the rest of your life though.

If youre adding that much value quit being pussy, set out on your own or find a way to get paid more.
Your attitude sucks and youre to blame

>not wanting to do something that makes a ton of money and is interesting
Sounds pretty bad desu sempai.

You faggots most really be NEETs or Unifags that haven't left school yet.

Quick run down:
>Graduated from a top 15 Com program
>70 + a year
>manager in a transport field
>5 years post college

Com isn't "HURR DURR synergy" (only if you were in a pleb-tier program). In essence, Com is "applied" psychology. Basically, how to communicate with people to produce intended results, and apply methods of literary theory for textual and cultural analysis. Now I manage people because I learned a field, used my education, and became an effective leader (because I understand human nature and habits, not stuck on the fuckin Chans day in and day out).

>Go to Career fair
> Only job hiring my degree is Air Force psy-ops (needed a Masters though)
>See all the faggot far right schilling over the past two years

Fuckin hell, I want Pol circa 2010 back