What did Sup Forums think of Thunderbolt Fantasy?

What did Sup Forums think of Thunderbolt Fantasy?

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/anime/33595/Thunderbolt_Fantasy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Best thing this season not counting the anime.

Pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I'll keep watching.

Not anime. Actually I do not know what it is. Puppetry?

>not watching chinese puppet shows

A Chinese stopmotion puppet show is unironically the best thing to happen to anime this year.

It's good.

Yes, Taiwanese puppetry. Story by Urobuchi Gen, if that's your thing. Check it out.
I watched parts of the making of video. Doesn't seem like stop motion, but active pupptry.

The most entertaining thing airing this season.

Not sure if I'm looking at Final Fantasy villains as dolls or just random Chinese gods.

It doesn't belong here, fuck off.

I need a working torrent for this

A mongolian hand puppet show has no right to be this good. Over-the-top action with just the right the amount of B-movie 80's style silliness.

Amazing first episode, let's hope it keeps the pace.

It's not stopmotion.

>Not having superior taste
you gtfo

It's refreshing, BUT
Someone gave me youtube link to another this taiwan doll show, long fighting scene just made me bored.
Next 2 episodes if they give long figthing scene for every episode without interesting story plot, I'm gonna drop it.

AOTS

Tomokazu Seki is showing lesser seiyuu how it's done once again.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dollfie: The Series

*Insert fake opinion for the purposes of riling up idiots here*

>Someone gave me youtube link to another this taiwan doll show, long fighting scene just made me bored.
The issue with the main TV series is that it had been running for years and years. So it is more like soap opera. With Thunderbolt Fantasy at least you get a fixed 13 episodes.

It's on MAL now, shitposting can stop.

I won't be able to remember those Chinese names

Shitty and also not anime

I went in with moderately low expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. Plus, the VAs make it hard not to love.

They are not all cute girls, and not at all similar to Thunderbirds, unlike pic related.

>I won't be able to remember those Chinese names
Use the Japanese ones, as they are what the Japanese dub uses.
Rinsetsua = guy with the pipe. He also has a street name of "Dust-blowing Wind" that he was more famous for.

Shoufukan = umbrella guy.
He has a street name as "Gapless-blade".

Tanhi = main girl.

Betsutengai = main badguy.

Hope someone elther release fixed subs or Crunchy start using Japanese names in their subs. Because using Chinese names is silly when it doesn't match what the characters are saying.

No it's not

myanimelist.net/anime/33595/Thunderbolt_Fantasy

Oh shit, it's probably gonna get deleted soon.

>ONA
>August 17th
>Not yet aired status
>Episode 1 thread for TV anime

Looking competent as ever MAL. Honestly the only reason people even give a remote shit about this is because Gen Urobuchi's name is attached to the project otherwise no stupid memes, no listing on sites like MAL and no fake opinions about it on boards like Sup Forums

I haven't been excited while watching a TV show in a long time.
It was amazing.

is there a difference?

You forgot
> Duration: 24 hr.

So where can I watch or find this?

Who's ready to watch puppets yelling for a whole day?

Are you implying you wouldn't?

I rather watched this despite Urobuchi and Sawano because I'm not a fan ob both. But it's something unique and holy shit, I wish anime could be this dynamique.

Is Urobutcher really behind this?

>[HorribleSubs] Thunderbolt Fantasy - 01v2 [720p].mkv
Did they just change the font?

How're the names?

The same, although I do remember one or two missing characters squares in the episode, so maybe this font supports that character, too lazy to find where they were though

The most fucking chuuni thing I've ever seen. I think I'm in love.

Why can't anime be creative like this.

This is what people had to do before cellphones so just be grateful.

This is the best scene out of anything I've watched this year.

Not anime.
But it was awesome. Would make a great anime if it had a great studio to do it.

Lin Xue Ya smoking at the end makes it even better

Sad Sup Forums doesn't have /puppetry/.

oh please stop with that bullshit

anime has just about the same amount of silliness, in it
except if the same shit is depicted in anime you're just gonna call it edgy shit

you're just blinded by the novelty of the medium in jap hands

>Stop motion animation show is not anime
I don't know user, just like I consider Nightmare Before Christmas an animated movie, I consider this anime since it's japanese and it's animated

>Gapless-blade
Gen being edgy again.

>it's japanese and it's animated
Um, no, it's Taiwanese and it's not animated.

it's not stop motion
it's puppetry, they're filming it as it moves
sesame street is not animation

It's puppetry plus stop motion

Kinda like that old Captain Scarlet show.
But no one will beat CS' level of edginess, not even Butcher.

Wait guys hold up. Who is the main heroine?

Puppet feet

The imouto.

Dan Fei I guess, although anidb lists her as a side character

Who the fuck is the imouto?

Wuxia is made of stuff like this.
I think Gen has a true love for it. I can feel his appreciation for the genre just looking at the melodramatic scenes and fancy names/moves, the simple good vs evil dynamic. Kikokugai he used it more to tell a gratuitously dark story while still observing some of wuxia's focus on things like revenge and love. but its short length keeps it from ever really being emotionally resonant, aside from dat tweest. I'm glad to see he's doing something wuxia-style again.

Did you not watch the episode?

>OP by T.M. Revolution
>mfw

Those are CG feet, actually.

N-No. The puppets are throwing me off.

>Dan Fei I guess, although anidb lists her as a side character
Note that your list has the names in Chinese. Which is fine, but it is confusing with Japanese dub.

I watched it out of obligation to my home country but I'm surprised at the production value. It doesn't usually look this good. I'm still mystified at how Butcher found out about this medium though. Maybe he found it while working on Gaim

>Note that your list has the names in Chinese.
Just like the subs

>Just like the subs
Yeah, I am just saying I hope the subs change next episode.

What is wrong with that poor puppet?

Oh, and it seems the English Wikipedia page has all the different names listed in full. Which is nice for reference.

Whenever I see Chinese names with diacritic marks slathered on every word it may as well be kanji because I'm not even going to try reading it before the subtitle line disappears.

I really have to hope by "creative" people mean "amusingly campy and ridiculous", though if that's the case people clearly aren't paying attention to much anime cause that's kind of a lot of shows base appeal.

Also people are never going to stop with the bullshit. It's Sup Forums, it's what the hivemind does.

It also doesn't help that the Japanese name is completely different, so you can't even pick out the pronunciation from the actual dialogue.

No it doesn't
>※Character names are presented in the format of Chinese Given Name (Chinese Character Spelling Japanese Romanization) / Chinese Art name (Chinese Character Spelling Japanese Romanization)
So basically Lǐn Xuě Yā is pronounced Rin Setsu A and Dān Fěi is pronounced Tan Hi, for example

Looking forward to puppet fanservice and the onsen/beach episode.

That's what I mean, you see both the Chinese and Japanese names.

Fuck man people didn't tell me this show had wacky ass over the top camp death scenes like this. Why does everybody always sell everything so completely wrong nowadays? People are selling this like it's some sort of mind blowing action set piece masterclass when it's clearly just the usual fucking hilarious Pili Wuxia stuff you can find on youtube. Does something about Gen Urobuchi being involved with projects just make people look at this crazy fast motion whiplash camera shit from Taiwan that differently?

That was actually, really good. Looking forward to this.

It's still the same fucking name.

Do the camera angles make anyone else dizzy? Watching this cut to 10 different angles every 2 seconds makes my head spin.

>voiced by Sayaka Ohara
MUH

DICK

So is pipe guy supposed to be a mystic or something.
There better be more kung funny cliches, maybe strange weapons like flying guillotine and laser shooting musical instruments, maybe drunken boxing or even guys who changed into girls like Asia or something.

>It's still the same fucking name.
Dān Héng is not like Tan Kou.
Shā Wú Shēng is not like Setsu Mu Sho
Pretending they are the same would confuse people. Use the right name for the right dub.

>So is pipe guy supposed to be a mystic or something.
The main bad guy knew who he was, so he was some famous dude apparently.

I think people who are approaching this like it's supposed to be some sort of super ultra serious grand epic story either clearly didn't actually see the first episode or are really fucking approaching it from entirely the wrong angle. I mean fucking look at this shit and Pili series in general. Not to knock a cultural tradition but it's bloody hilarious stuff and the script clearly isn't aiming for anything especially highbrow so much as traditional camp Wuxia fare. I wish people didn't have to act so stupid about Urobuchi stuff, I mean even he said he's basically just approaching this like a fun pet project and probably looking to sell some dolls for Good Smile Company on the side if possible. I've never gotten the sense that that guy takes his scripts and projects as deathly seriously as the people that seem to expect some literature prize winning script out of him every time he steps up to actually do something.

>It's a literal 布袋戲 with amazing special effects
Back in my day we only had a few firecrackers here and there

That's just how Pili has always done it's stuff. I think it's supposed to give the illusion of greater motion than is actually taking place with the puppets. Again personally I find it hilarious and have ever since I stumbled on a video from one of the older Pili series a few years back.

Demon guy with a whip? Hell yeah.

Now that you mention dolls, they selling them?

Literally a Dynasty Warriors Musou attack in concept. I mean come on.

>Demon guy with a whip? Hell yeah.
Demoness. And apparently had a grudge with the pipe guy. Humanity had a war with demons where demons lost, so she was still salty about it it seems.

I'd pretty much place this premiere on about the same level as I'd place the average Super Sentai series premiere. Getting about the same vibe. It's probably how it handles the villains more than anything

Dead onii chan in first episode?
Poor imouto

I'm really digging this.
Watched the first episode thinking it would be shit, but god damn did it rope me in. I look forward to watching this with Sup Forums and the threads in its wake.

Clealy AOTS so far. Kono being 2nd.