Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1601

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1077777170
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Zoinks

ITHVNR works great with many visual novels but apparently Hitori no Qualia is not one of them. Luckily, the original ITH works great. Because of this, I wanted to pin them both on my taskbar, but they had the same icon. So I cobbled up an ITH-style ITHVNR icon to use instead. If anyone else cares then links are in the Hongfire ITHVNR thread since Sup Forums won't let me post links.

Of all of the posters that tried to get the first post with their positive inspiration or meme you have outlasted everyone. You started before them also

>駅の前で会いましょう
>駅前の店で会いましょう

Are both of these correct? Why is there a の before 前 in the first sentence, but not in the second one?

Can't doink the zoink

Like the image.

>娶る
>めとる
>女+取
>め+とる
based

Ok my shower is done.

I think I get it now.

>>壊れてなければ、壊れてるってことを言い訳に、こんなことを考えなくてすんだのにな
The implication of this is, if I was not broken I could somehow excuse my behavior, and wouldn't have to think about this (-> but since I am broken, there are no excuses with the implication that behavior is gonna keep happening)

Something like that? Honestly it's still pretty hard to comprehend but I think I know about this thing a bit more now than at the start

だってできなかったの..難しすぎ

今日知った文法

~てなるものか

意味は
~てはならない。絶対させない
~てたまるか
例文:「ここで朽ちてなるものか」

I think 駅の前 is right in front of the entrance and 駅前 is the broad area that surrounds it.

この文法なんか初めて見た。。dojgで見つけないけどな

>「ここで朽ちてなるものか」
I will not rot in this place?

Does anyone else find that drinking actually sometimes helps them to study better??
Obviously not drinking so much that you can't think or focus, but I mean one or two pints helps boost my passion or energy if I'm struggling to stay motivated on a boring task. Also it boosts my confidence a little so I'm not bothered about making mistakes for example when practising speaking.

Never really tried, my mental performance always feels atrocious when I drink even if it's only a little bit, and I end up getting really restless

Studying while baked however is amazing, especially listening practice, it amplifies your hearing so much, it's like every word floats directly into your eardrum without missing a single syllable

namasensei, in his lessons, teaches us to drink beer

つまり「ここでこのまま死ぬわけにはいかない」という意味ね
俺も長年の勉強の中で見たことがないのだから
DOJGにないのも当然だ

いつも楽しく笑っているような顔をしているが、
別にいつも楽しくて笑っている訳ではない
生まれつきだ

t. 時雨沢恵一

それほど深くないよw

深い訳がないだろう
ただいい響きだと思ったから

学ぶをしよう?めんどくさい、明日にするほうがいいのに

明日に出来るものを今日にやる理由はない
それと同じように、他の人が出来るものを自分から進んでやる理由はない
適材適所ってやつ
自分が得意なこと、今やらなければやらないこと、それから始めればいい
だから俺は引きこもってゲームとオナニーをやってる

>retard who can't even read kanji

It's far too tempting to buy a smartphone so that I can do my reps at work, is the ankidroid thing any good?

>not having a smartphone in this day and age
How do you feel when you sit alone and everyone is touching their phones?

The only time I leave my house is to go to work or to specifically do something. There isn't really an opportunity for such a thing.

wanikani's vocab list is a thousand times better than core6k

Did you say
Wani
Kani?

how do you say ten minutes if 十分 is "enough"?

No surprise. You get what you pay for

It's written the same way, just the pronunciation is different.

十分 --> Enough --> じゅうぶん
十分 --> Ten minutes --> じっぷん

is 個 the counter for fireworks?

10分

Is the kanji grid Anki plugin not working for anyone else? I'm getting a ZeroDivisionError.

stop trying to divide by zero then

Does watching JAV count towards my listening practise??

How? Do I have to put something on the first field?

No shit cores atrocious

>三原じゅん子
this is the most annoying japanese name i have ever seen

You have to put some shit that matches your cards, I always just put "front"

当たり前だろう

Why shouldn't I review RTK cards Kanji->Keyword?

The book says it will explain why but never does

Moogy said it was a bad idea to read too early on because you won't actually understand it, just like the guy in the image also said.

Moogy is irrelevant.

I was responding to someone who was talking about moogy, kid. Try again next time.

It's harder to think of the kanji when only given the keyword rather than the other way around. It only tells you to do it that way because if you plan on writing you will be thinking of words in your head in english and then converting to kanji and not the other way around. If you're like everyone else and only care about reading then studying kanji-keyword is fine imo.

is yotsuba autistic

No she is from Taiwan

I think it's because you're shown all the individual elements of the story when you look at the kanji rather than having to remember all them with only given the keyword. It's harder with just the keyword which means you remember it better when studied.

Stop talking about Moogy

'front' worked. Thanks.

Wake me up inside.

I was responding to someone who was talking about moogy, kid. Try again next time.

Does anyone else feel like they have a really hard time putting together two or more kanji in a jukugo and understanding what it means?

Even when I know the kanji my common sense as to what they mean when put together is atrocious, it's quite inconvenient

The fact that you remember or care about things that moogy says makes you pathetic.

Why would I forget something I read once by chance a long time ago?

Are you Moody himself or what

Why would you be in a place where people talk about the opinions of random gaijin erogaylords

What in the world makes you think that?
People talk about erogaylords here? News to me.

Yea you're definitely Moody. Just fuck off back to vndb instead of samefagging here

>/jp/ dropouts arguing with people that don't give a shit
lulz

You might want to take your loxapine, m8.

>人は自身を直接見ることはできないからだ。無人が浸透した背景は、自己性を曖昧に喪失させる。

Jesus fuck. Will I ever be able to understand something like this?

About 200 words into Anki, and I can pretty much recognize every kanji by treating it like a picture. (which is really cool. I'd imagine that the Japanese have the highest average reading speed.)
But I'm worried that I'll soon start mixing them up with similar looking ones. How much attention did you guys pay to the exact lines on the kanji? Did you practice writing them?
I have no idea what the stroke order would be for any of them. Is that a bad thing?

Do a radicals deck
>I have no idea what the stroke order would be for any of them. Is that a bad thing?
Top left to bottom right, one component at a time, and sometimes there are exceptions. Done.

Yea you keep saying that

Nope

おはようおにいちゃん

そうじきかけるから

ゆかのものぜんぶかたして

Because it's true. I don't know what happened to you, but you're clearly experiencing delusions and need to take your medication.

Don't mention Mooby again

Why would I mention Moogy?

Who

the general rules for stroke order can be learned in a minute, there are a few exceptions though. Just plug in the kanji you see in anki for the first time into jisho and write it once with the correct stroke order. You'll understand all the rules fast.

本物のかわいい妹ちゃんがいればいいなぁ~

There's one thing I don't quite get regarding kanji. Suppose you are reading a sentence and you come across one that you do not know, and there's no furigana. How would you know the way to pronounce it? You could get the (supposed) meaning from context just like every other language, but then you at least know the characters. Now I just have a sentence with a blank part in it.

Why is strawberry a level 1 kanji?

You don't. You can make educated guesses at times

With a dictionary

So if you're reading a text out loud, you're basically boned?

Help with this sentence please?

> 勿体ぶったり焦らされるのは嫌いじゃないみたい
I'm guessing 勿体 is in the sense of overemphasis here, ぶったり is... I'm not really sure if it's "to hit", but I'm going with that.
"About being (hit with, emphasis) teased, she doesn't seem to hate it"

Is this correct?

Yeah, but it doesn't take as long as you'd think to learn the readings of all the common kanji, as long as you keep reading and learning vocab

Some kanji have phonetic components too, like if they all share the same radical they'll have the same on-yomi, like 包 抱 泡 砲 胞 飽 are all ほう, so that can help sometimes

勿体ぶる

Suppose you're reading a book in english and you come across a word you don't know. How do you know how to pronounce it?

Oh, I just found that here:
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1077777170
And holy cows how do I put this (that phrase with 焦らされる) in english?

Like I said,
>then you at least know the characters
None of those characters are foreign, the worst thing you can do is place an emphasis wrong or something. I may not know what "abnegation" means when I see it for the first time, but I can just read all the characters and I know how to pronounce it. If I see 水 for the first time in my life, it stops right there.

Thanks. I suppose those are the kind of rules you'd pick up while learning them anyway, so I suppose it'll be fine then.

このにせおにいちゃんめ

Guys what does 斜め上 mean?

It's being used as "ナナメ上の回答が好き"

>None of those characters are foreign, the worst thing you can do is place an emphasis wrong or something
You can pronounce it completely wrong.

imoutoの回答はだいたい斜め上

I am really struggling to think of an example that won't at least end up with you saying a word recognizable as "oh, he means...". It may be completely wrong, but even then you have a general idea of how it is pronounced. But you're welcome to give an example.

Try reading some hard books and you'll find some. It's not like Japanese come across words they can't make a good guess for all that often either

なるほど~

斜め上は「かわいいな~ナデナデしたいよぉ~」な感じの意味ですか?

I have probably no idea what any of those words mean. I will still have a general idea of what they sound like. Because while the word is unknown, the characters that make up their pronunciation are not. This is not the case with kanji. Where the character is completely unknown to me. Whether Japanese know how to pronounce everything was never my question, and whether they understand the words even less so.
I really don't see the point you are trying to make.

物事が予想の↑ではなく、↗とかの方向に進むことである。

But coming across an unknown word in English that you don't know and can't pronounce is not at all the same as encountering an unknown kanji. If you're reading a text out loud and come across "hyperbole" you can still make a guess and read it like "hyperbole". You can't do that with kanji.

"John and Sally went to the مكتبة to pick up a كتاب." How would you deal with these words if you were reading the sentence out loud to someone? You can't read them and have no idea how they are pronounced.

Thanks, I was thinking it would be something like that