Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1602

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bV9vad9bvUg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

今日も一日がんばるぞい!

It took me one hour and a half to read the first chapter of Yotsuba. Should I kill myself?

>It took me a long time to do something which I have little to no experience doing and now I'm attention whoring about it. Should I kill myself?

Yes, yes you should

No furigana so you need kanjitomo or something to look up kanji. Otherwise it's just as easy as everything else

I watched the first episode raw today and it seemed easy enough, but I haven't read the manga, you might as well just try it out and see for yourself

Cool, gonna download some raws then.
Thanks.

グッドラックぞい

がんばりますよ

Wrong pic

>switching formality between sentences
this triggers me, but mostly because i do this as well

いもうとさんだよね、あの人

>てつだえたい
help
is it
>...て、つだえたい

Is つだえる even a word?

It's clearly 鉄だ得たい

The cancer of every "how i lern japones lol" thread. alljapaneseallthetime is new age feel-good bullshit to learning a language as scientology is to religion. Sure, some general advice from there is sensible (immerse yourself!) but then there's shit like DON'T LEARN GRAMMAR FROM A TEXTBOOK, IN FACT DONT USE A TEXTBOOK JUST MINE SENTENCES WITH UR SRS XDDDD, and horf dorf dont take jlpt, not even to gauge your competency in japanese its just bad lol xD

Yeah, you might feel like I'm going to be a true Japanese in no time with alljapaneseallthetime.com! The truth is, you're going to realize that you know jack shit when you're asked to an interview in Japanese.

Fuck I hate that site so much

It's almost as bad as people who claim to memorize 100+ kanji with heisig every day. For fuck's sake, don't ever use heisig, biggest waste of my time. Shit's so stupid, he teaches you individual kanji like THIS IS CONCAVE 凹 IT LOOKS LIKE A DITCH THATS HOW U REMEMBER IT XD AND THEN OH HERE'S PIG IRON 銑 (im flipping through it right now what the fuck am i reading) Oh and compounds? Let's take a look at the second book

OH LOOK HES PULLING COMPOUNDS OUT OF HIS DICKHOLE HERPDERP SURE IS STRUCTURED LEARNING AROUND HERE

FUCK

IM SO PISSED

wtf i hate ajatt now

Where is this from?

CALM DOWN

It's 手伝う

thanks

>THIS IS CONCAVE 凹 IT LOOKS LIKE A DITCH THATS HOW U REMEMBER IT XD

That's how I remembered it at least, I am not going to think 凹む means anything but being concave-d literally or metaphorically

落ち着けなさい

Not related to Japanese, but after responding to this I tabbed out to resume reading, and my texthooker html looked like this unexpectedly and I burst out laughing

LoLで日本語の効果音はなんか色っぽい、特にAhri
日本語はえろ過ぎるよ

>Sakigake
>hmm, must be something like 先掛け
>魁

先駆け

面目ありません

Well, with pig iron, it looks quite a bit like 銀, which is another metal. And 銀, the left radical reminds me a bit of 金, which another precious metal. And it's easy to remember money/gold.

Any good beginner level harem material where the mc isn't an insufferable idiot? Preferably a VN, but anything is fine.

>harem material
>mc isn't an insufferable idiot

Choose one, user.

Harem material where the mc isn't an insufferable idiot is hard enough to come by as it is.

I haven't read it but I hear Love Hina is pretty easy. But my guess is that the shuujinkou is indeed quite the baka.

Got some truths for you here, DJT.

>got my first leech

Is there a difference between 行き 「いき」 and 行き 「ゆき」? As far as I can tell, they both have identical meanings and kanji.

It's for the better, you'll end up wasting time on it that could be used on others. Just let it hang around and get to it later.

I finished 6k and have had a total of 3 leeches.
制度
授業
習慣

>tfw i leech way too much
should I just make a seperate deck for when I get more than 10 or something?

I'm only 2k in and knew two of those instantly! I also get 授業 wrong a lot though

It took me about 20 minutes but I was probably further along than you.

I leech a shitton, I just leave them in and eventually I remember them.

I'm not super into Anki though, I usually do it right before bed when I'm tired. I want to start taking it more seriously though as I'm realizing the sheer amount of vocab I need to know.

So far I'd say I'm far stronger in grammar. VN sentences are easy to understand grammatically but I'd be fucked without the text hooker a lot of times.

I'm really strong with my anki, doing it around three times a day.
However, my grammar really really sucks as I just don't have the same motivation to work with it so I end up not doing any work with it and leaving it to rot.

Any suggestions?

My only advice is to read. Seems obvious but it works

Find a manga or VN (helps if it's one you're interested in) and read it. You'll probably want to go through a grammar guide first though, everyone recommends Tae Kim but I didn't like it very much and instead would recommend Japanese the Manga Way.

that's what i did although i never used the deck until i finished core2k and shut off new cards

Don't forget that you need to use Japanese every day, or you will forget it all.

最近、俺のエンターテイメントの9割は日本語だから・・・

Grammar is annoying sometimes. Its hard to tell what is grammar or vocab or if you should read something differently.

Basic grammar is easy tbqh but after that it gets tough imo.

This is actually not true but in terms of reps you get messed up tying to come back from it.

When you're reviewing on Anki, if you can remember the meaning of a word, but not the reading, do you push GOOD or AGAIN until you remember?

I go with Good. I feel it's too late to change that.

I suppose I should ask more specifically, what do you think would be the best approach?

If I could start again, I'd make sure I know the reading and definition. Or make two decks to separate them both.

Warning though, I am a newbie myself.

If I don't know both I again it, unless it's a bullshit rendaku reading or some shit in which case I just hard it

You won't forget Japanese if you don't use it every single day, but doing something every single day is an important habit to build. It's the only path to real, serious improvement in any skill or hobby.

>Its hard to tell what is grammar or vocab
the term "grammar" here is sort of split between "DOJG vocab" and "reading comprehension"
You can find out the meanings of most grammar structures through the grammar dicionary or google, but everything a dictionary can't help you with is a comprehension issue.

Watch more anime

What does it say? I don't understand Japanese.

It says:
ふっふっふっふ 青い!青いぞ!若造!
大きな方がよいなどと言っとるうちはまだまだ子供よ!
小胸こそ究極の乳!
どれほど小ぶりであろうともけっして無にはならない微妙な線のかもしだす幻妙なる色香……
それがわからぬか!このたわけがっ!
なにいっ

Nobody?

I wonder why a lot of the stuff DoJG considers grammar is something I just learn as vocab. Imo grammar refers more to the ordering and structure of sentences rather than specific words put into the sentence, which is what DoJG seems to think it is.

儒教 has been hovering around 2 days for me for the past week. It's barely not a leech.

>all those weebs trying to speak japanese
like pottery.
Anyone got Nouryoku Shiken passed here?

>THIS IS CONCAVE 凹 IT LOOKS LIKE A DITCH THATS HOW U REMEMBER IT

ok, so what's wrong with that? The simplest conclusion is the best for memory. If not it specifically tells you to make your own stories to REMEMBER THE KANJI. I don't know why you're reading a book with that title and expecting anything else.

They're the same. ゆき was more common in the past, but now a days いき is more normal in conversation. You most commonly hear ゆき some in songs/poems and the like.

what's the hardest grammar?

It would require learning handwriting, so no.

At least, it seems to show up in a lot of sentences I can't wrap my head around even though I'm aware of all the meanings.

には
fuck that

There is no hard grammar, only lack of anime watching

Can someone give me a sample of a Japanese conversation?

I'd like to use it as a guideline so I could have a better understanding, if that's fine. It'd be nice to get some opinion from actual people who speak this language, and not just textbooks. :D Thank you! (would be great if the sample conversation is in romaji as well!)

こんにちわぷぷちゃん
こんにちわぴぴちゃん
いいおてんきですね
そうですね
さようなら
さようなら

Nice reddit copy pasta you have there. Now fuck off back to redit

doctor appointment
youtube.com/watch?v=bV9vad9bvUg

うらにわにはにわにわにはにわにわとりがいる

Why get angry I post them because they are hilarious

passive form

The grammar you barely see.

How do I learn hirakana and kanji?

need to learn katakanji first

First learn all the hanji and then it will be easy from there

how do i disable audio in anki

Can someone confirm these for me? I don't think I'm getting it correctly:

> 大きな方がよいなどと言っとるうちはまだまだ子供
This one I'm almost, totally clueless. I'm guessing it's something like
(An adult is good etc) (been saying [who?]) (I'm still a kid)

The others I think it goes
"small breasts are the best tits!"
"that delicate line where no matter how little they are they are still not unexistent bring about a strange illusion of allure"

Edit the card template and remove the audio part.

Just go into your mixer and mute the program

He doesn't know the value of hearing the audio everytime. It's subtle but it'll help you.

Delete the audio files

What would be the best way to go about learning if i just wanted to understand the language? Not speaking or writing.

That's not how learning a language works, dumb fuck. Just do it the proper way with writing and speaking. Genki 1 and 2 are a great start.

Watch anime for a few years

Genki 1 and 2 are books i assume, where would be the best place to read them?

>10,000 hours

ばかり for me

It's hard to learn a language if you can't read it if you don't have a teacher or a direct contact to a fluent speaker. The kana are likely necessary at the very least unless someone knows of a resource that teaches the language in its entirety in depth using just romaji (I highly doubt one exists, at some point you need to switch to Japanese resources to properly learn details and you need to be able to read to do that, of course).

Did you even read our guide?
It's up to you whether you like it physical or as an e-book.

Thank you for the composed reply, it means alot.

Rewording Reddit posts is not a valuable use of your time

Watch LOTS of anime. It worked for me. Granted, it does take a lot longer though.