What was Sup Forums's thoughts on this? I thought it was 2deep4me

What was Sup Forums's thoughts on this? I thought it was 2deep4me

Yuri Kuma? It was fun, girls were cute, bears were cute. Story got silly and the lewd never got lewd enough. All in all enjoyable but wouldn't watch again.

Pretentious garbage.

>yuri
It's shit.

SONO CHINO SADAME JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJO

'twas okay.

Penguindrum and Utena are mikes better, tho

Would you say they were smarter than the average bear, or just lewder?

The average bear is naked and shameless

Penguindrum was not better then Yuri Kuma. Penguindrum was a fucking mess of a show, Yuri Luna's story and general message was far more precise and there was never a dull episode in which Utena and Penguindrum has many.

On the same boat, brother.

YKA was the deepest show since Evangelion.

Literally the Madoka of our generation.

I was really intrigued by the first episode, but then it felt like it just kept repeating the same formula over and over without actually revealing anything significant until dumping everything at the end for a pretty straightforward story that it could have just skipped to or told straight up. It felt like the Arashi part of Yuri Kuma Arashi was largely pointless.

Probably the best example of style over substance, and a really poor companion to Utena and Penguindrum.

It was pointless, the only thing that people will remember about it is the gratuitous lesbians like anything else that the director of the show has made.

It was bretty great and the core story was really not hard to follow at all.

I think it's just meant to criticize social prejudice against some normal adolescaria girls.

Not bad, but Utena and Penguindrum were better.
I look forward to Ikuhara's next piece as well.

I got caught up on the manga today, then watched the first episode of the anime. Why is everything completely different?

>Literally the Madoka of our generation.
The current generation is the Madoka generation.

This. YKA piggybacked a bit too much off of Penguindrum's themes without the meat that Penguindrum built up over the show. It had really great scenes, like the scene where they both appear as bears on the rooftop before the firing squad, but that's it.

And yes next Ikuhara when

>the best example of style over substance

That would be anything by Trigger.

>YKA piggybacked a bit too much off of Penguindrum's themes without the meat that Penguindrum built up over the show.
>Next Ikuhara when
I just want him to do something that is specifically about the Invisible Storm and the Child Broiler. I absolutely loved those concepts and I wish more of the respective series had been woven with them. There is an absolutely, ungodly melancholic view of society lurking in Ikuhara which has yet to fully blossom. With Utena and Penguindrum, it seemed like the specific stories overshadowed what else was going on, and Yuri Kuma just seemed to sputter miserably.

Except they have the actual complete opposite of that, Turning Girls.

Penguindrum was ten times better than Yurikuma and it had way less obnoxious themes and symbolism to boot. Neither compare to Utena, though.

Yurikuma was far too rushed. You had Kureha and Ginko, who were supposed to be soulmates of sorts, yet Kureha spent 95% of the series pinning for a dead girl, and then embraced Ginko (who allowed Kureha's previous girlfriend get eaten), because she used to like her in the past.

Mind you though, I thought the themes were good, but I really think both MPD and YKA show Ikuni is a 90s director through and through. You could already see pacing issues in MPD, which was 2-cour, and YKA (a 1-cour show) was too much for him to handle.

Ikuhara's style, going from Utena, MPD and YKA has a very clear pattern in which he likes dividing the story in 3 parts. The story starts with exposition of the story's themes during the first part, which is usually the wackiest part of the story, then in the second part he begins unravelling the character's issues and the plot's secrets, and then in the third part is when he has the characters (or some of them) beginning to sort out their issues.
Ikuni likes being very roundabout regarding how he develops his characters, and this worked out well in Utena, which was 39 episodes long. However, less than that seems to be harder for him to handle.

I would also say he's better off limiting himself to directing, and leaving the writing/composition to someone else. Hell, Utena wasn't good just because of Ikuni, it was good because of Be-Papas as a whole.

The Invisible Storm was incredibly important to the entire thing. One major part of the story was how anyone different or against the norm was rejected and ignored, thus fulfilling two meanings of having all the members be an invisible flock of people, and also making any others isolated and invisible.

Translation:
"I didn't get it, but instead of admitting that I'm just a dumbass, I'll use the 'p' word to sound smart."

How was it ever a major part of the story? The MC was never troubled by the Invisible Storm stuff until the flashback reveal with her old BFF. The MC herself never gave a shit about being excluded because she was determined from the start. The Invisible Storm was mentioned and was going on in the background, but never mattered to the foremost parts of the plot other than as part of the backstory for the dead friend.

What it was all supposed to represent was pretty obvious, but it never felt like that theme was actually connected to the main trio because they were so far up each others' symbolic orifices for most of the show that the outside world didn't matter.