Im gonna learn Russian any downsides?

Any downsides to the language, culture, etc. Something similar to the infamous user post saying DON'T LEARN MANDARIN.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rJpCDc-KpV8
youtu.be/5UYy42XDbUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lgxOvmzpCts
youtube.com/watch?v=FWlauSjHl68
edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/secondary/math1112currb.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_State
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's fucking hard

you will never ever speak it fluently

alphabet is dumb you'll never pin down the accent and russians look down on nonrussians

Way too hard.

It uses Cyrillic, which is only present in Russia and other (smaller and irrelivant) shitholes surrounding it.

RUSSIAN NOT HARD RUSSIAN EASY LANGUAGE AMERICAN NOT LEARN THOUGH XAXAXAXA

It may be useful to hire cheap intellectual labour in Russia such as engineers.

There are declensions and perfective/imperfective verbs. But at least it's easy to guess the gender of noums, unlike German.

It's absolutely trivial to learn Cyrillic. If you're a Slav, learning Russian is a cakewalk.

>t. retard

The Latin alphabet is derived from Greek, and Cyrillic is most closely related to Greek.

When you say "look down," do you mean I get odd looks at a bar or I get lynched if I go to the wrong town?

njet

The only reason to learn Russian.

youtube.com/watch?v=rJpCDc-KpV8

Both are possible.
youtu.be/5UYy42XDbUQ

What's your mother language?

If it's English of a Romance language (except Romanian) it might be a bit harder for you.

If it's any other European language it's not that of a big deal.

If it's any Slavic language you'll master Russian in no time.

youtube.com/watch?v=lgxOvmzpCts

youtube.com/watch?v=FWlauSjHl68

besides HardBass. These are arguably the best Russian songs.

then you have to work with russians

Burger being obnoxious as usual.

explain

Americans are truly human trash.

is that true that Russians learns differential equations and vectorial calculus in high school? if thats true not even USA engineer is at the level of a Russian one.

Culture is generally less individual-centered, gays are still hated, people dislike immigrants unless they're non-muslim and come from a rich/generally civilized country.
Language: imagine all the differences between English and German and now imagine that there's a 2 times bigger gap in difficulties between Russian and English. And many of the traits of Russian language are unique to it/slav languages in contrast to the European languages. Btw Ukrainian is a weirder & harder version of Russian lang., yet Belarus language is simplified Russian. I mean. Immigrating to Belarus and/or Ukraine? wut

>downsides to learning a new language
Are u retarded?

> gays are still hated,

I like the way Putin deals with gays, I mean being gay shouldn't be Ilegall but USA media for example is starting giving them special rights like if being gay were important.

>gap teeth
1/10

This

It's bullshit. Russians love it when a foreigner tries to speak their language and makes an effort. People will be very curious about you

this
and visit the pyccки chanes.

Burger was rude to a woman and slapped her ass on public transport. People didnt like it.

Well deserved then.

its the foreign factor I think the only ones who are earning hate everywhere are muslims but we know who is behing that.

I have opportunity for Belarussian citizenship. How is it there?

ayylmao I remember that video.

Pretty much this
You're fucking dumb.
>russians look down on nonrussians
Lies, everyone is excited when foreigners learn their language and try to help them.

I guess US military, CIA, NSA and so on will happily hire you.

you won't be lynched but it's very likely you'll be taken advantage of and you will get some looks but mostly just hear them laughing saying things about you you can't quite understand because you're not fluent. the men will test you and make fun of you for not being able to poison yourself with vodka. a lot of things american men don't think are gay seem gay to russian men. russian women think american (and british) men are naive betas.

Not rich but Minsk is comfy.
You wont find a high paying job there though

hey cheeki breekis read my question

I learned it in highschool here too.

Not true. In soviet union though it was.

You can learn it but you will never be proficient at it

Many of my work colleagues studied in ussr and they have perfect grammar but funny prononciation

It was optional in my school, but it wasn't required to graduate.

As irralavant country citizen i speak russian and its only good sites
1. Scored russian girl at vocation
2 russian chans are goldmine
3 your can speak then communicate with 300 milion more ppl
4 russian movies songs and shiet
5 as wester cuck you can speak russian to awoid be beaten by "youth"
t guy who speaks 3 languages

>vectorial calculus
Yes.
>differential equations
No, only at universities. We are talking about regular schools here though, best "fizmat" schools like 289 in SPb surely do teach basic ODE stuff, but that's it.

Math is an universal language

It's a great language to know even just to be able to read the literary works.

You will be able to read Pushkin, Turgenev, Lermontov, Blok, Tolstoy, Dostoyevski, etc. All the classics in the original language - all translations of their works have great flaws and do not carry across the entirety of the rich substance of the works.

I would start by reading dual language books (one page English, opposite same text in Russian). After you learn the alphabet and study the cases and suffix tables. It's not that hard, it's a different system, much more fluid in terms of using and abusing the words. Hence the sheer amount of poetry and prose that exists in the language.

there are three types of russians. stem nerd intellectual russians, eurotrash russians (rich and poor), and villager/christian russians. overall, they have more of an emphasis on math and seem to be more advanced than the public school students in the us. stem was a big meme in soviet russia, a lot people got stem dgrees and jobs. but on average most students aren't able to do differential equations in high school. at top research universities in the us, there are a lot of russian educated scientists, engineers, and mathematicians.

Got to fix myself a bit.
>vectorial calculus
In a regular pleb school it is just basic operations over vectors like their summation, prod, finding an angle between them, etc. No complex problems are taught.

>russian women think american (and british) men are naive betas.

That's funny because literally every Russian girl I've met here thinks Americans are too crazy and savage for owning 30 firearms and getting into shootings every day

Same as Russia, but without the nicer cities like St. Petersburg and Moscow. Also, citizens of Belarus should probably be able to live in Russia with their Belarus passports. I know I can move to Belarus any day and just start living there, should work the other way around too

How much do I need per month to live comfy in Vitebsk?

That's true, highly depends on the school tho.
Some very hardcore physics-math lyceums learn in high school what most people learn in first years of uni. I wanted to link you to some exercises but they're all in Russian so whatever.

do not migrate to r*ssia

>I know I can move to Belarus any day and just start living there, should work the other way around too
occupation =/= citizenship Boris

English is your native? Im learming russian too. Its fairly easy so far. im using a shitty app called duolingo while my computer is down. Its fun if youre good with phonetics and discerning sounds.This is my biggest worry. Im so excited to learm and even have an irl friemd thats learning but fluency is a long ways off.

Im learnimg because russia is takimg a lead in geopolitics, and there is going to be a lot of russian being spoken in the near future. I want to do business in russian

I am not arguing or asking that,

also I am cheking edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/secondary/math1112currb.pdf

and I cant find advanced math is the same one is tough in high school here in Mexico and is not complete for being an engineer like in Japan or Russia where people enters directly to the field.

>I want to do business in russian

Fucking don't. You've been warned.

L M A Oing at non-Slavs ITT, I can sit down and memorize Cyrillic and I can immediately talk Russian on basic level without ever fucking seeing it.

Yeah my father in law works in Russia because the money is better. What jobs are in high demand there?

Okay. Why?

This is not a problem, if people understand what you're trying to say no one will make rude comments about your fluency or laugh at you. That shouldn't discourage you. It's actually the opposite people highly appreciate that you make an effort to learn our language.

If you do it, I will be your examiner during the exam in Russian, and believe me, you will feel the same pain I felt during IELTS.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_State
I can just move there and work, rent, buy, do whatever. There's no need to be a citizen if you're a citizen of Russia

Main problem with Russian language is that it is spoken by Russians.

Never been there. Probably 2.5k USD per month will be more than you'd ever need.
You dont know what you're talking about

dude upload some hot ukranian babes pics

also upload some Switzerland babes pics please

IT like everywhere else. Also jurisprudence and engineering.

>This is my biggest worry.
Personally know one Burger and one Swiss girl that speak it fluently.

Also, where should I move if I were to come to Russia say 5-6 years down the line once I learn enough?

Пoжaлyйcтa, Russia bros, physics grad student here. If ww3 starts will you guys let me come over and study there? I promise to help make great bombs

Still can't use google?

St. Petersburg duh

This. OP learn something more used like Spanish, but don't learn Chinese.

Oil, gas, IT. If you're in IT, you're better off outsourcing for a foreign firm though, pays better.

WW3 will be happening then, so learn russian now and gtfo

Russia is going to hack your brain.

I want OC dude.

Because whiny scared Russian neets think that Russia is Mordor.
We are fine, considering how young our capitalism is. We are still closer to wild west(with a post-commie twist) than to modern capitalistic country though. That's something to keep in mind. But its going to be better when ex-commies die out.

>Oil, gas
Lmao, good luck find a job in these without any relatives/friends/acquaintances.

>china is collapsing
>every day now goys

In ukrainian school (still soviet curriculm) we learn some basic calculus (differentials and integrals and their geometrical applications), vector arithmetics (sum, dot product, applications in physics). No differential equations in math course, but it is introduced in physics course, not rigorously. Also remember we had some statistics and probability theory, basics of combinatorics. Some advanced schools, gymnasiums and lyceums have more deep complicated topics in curriculum.

The perfect way to learn to speak a language fluently is to get the basics and then build upon them by interacting with, or even just listening to, native speakers. I recommend watching their YouTube content or playing vidya that require lots of writing, on Russian servers of course. Just be ready to google translate random words a lot. That's how I learned fluent English at the age of 11 in just about a year and didn't have the need to sit down and learn it ever again - not by autistically learning everything by heart while hunched over a book like they'd want you at school but by playing MMOs.

>learning a language so foreigners immigrating to your country don't have to learn your language

omg a puppy, fucking chiness of shit.

Yes spanish is nice a whole Continent to talk it, even in USA, but its so hard and ambiguous.

A foreign citizenship and a native fluency in English are extremely valuable

In general, risk is too high. You can try to take advantages of cheap/smart workforce because education here is free and any smart enough redneck can graduate from a good university. If you deal with a businessman here just remember that he donesn't / cant look more than few months into future because situation is pretty dangerous / unstable, therefore he:

a) not interested in things that will benefit in long term (most likely any complicated research)

b) not interested in creating reputation that will benefit him in that long term.

I've sort of been studying Russian, not like dedicating a lot of time to it.
So far I can touch type the alphabet and know most of how its pronounced. I was trying to get into how they are pronounced by taking small recordings of each phoneme and listening repeatedly.
I think I'm getting into it for multiple reasons, like using google translate I've noticed that there are some Russian sites that have a lot of interesting stuff. But I think I'm mostly interested in in for girls. To be clear, not that I think their girls are any different, all girls are the same, but their environment is different and girls are like water that fits their surrounding environment. Also I've noticed that pretty much every burger girls is fat and obese while most in Russia aren't and the environment in amerika gives a girls too many incentives and rewards and encourages girls to act much worse.
I think this is some of my biggest concerns though:
> you'll be taken advantage of ... russian women think american (and british) men are naive betas.
So how to either get a girl that understands the difference instead of assuming that the difference between russian men and an american behavior must mean it's beta; or how to behave in such a way that a russian girl will assume it's not beta?
Also another question, I'm not college age, but I was curious if it would be possible to study computer science in a respectable university there? How difficult is the admissions process, or do they admit / accept such students like me?

>downsides to the language
1. English doesn't have cases and genders, so you'll have trouble adapting to that
2. different alphabet, even though you can learn it rather quickly, but reading stuff like cursive won't be that easy
3. it's very hard language to listen, and this is maybe personal, but it's not as ''clean'' as Spanish (or Serbo-Croatian from Slavic group) for example, Russians speak fast and kinda slur words, it's really hard to understand them properly
but generally learning any language is a bitch if you can't use it often
you can memorize vocabulary and grammar but you really need to use it a lot in order to speak close to native level

Learn our language please

It is a lost cause here to be a scientist. A way better choice is a businessman or a software developer.

Its easy if you got a descent American or European college under your belt.

>We are fine

Literally every successful businessman who wasn't tied to Putin was extorted from the country or put in jail / was threatend.

Hey Kim how things going there?

False

Tgis is how it is anywhere i find, and have been told. My dad told me stories of his time in germany where tourists asked questions in english and germans would pretend to not speak english, but if foreigners try to sprak german the natives speak english right away happily.

Yeah, there's no probs with being gay, but gay propaganda is prohibited. I remember once stumbling upon
>official russian buzzfeed page
They weren't as cancerous as the site itself because all the trans-pan-para-hetero-humanoid crap and "studies show that [pro-lgbt autism]" are not legally allowed lmao

>Spanish
>hard
not really, if you speak English
Spanish and English share a lot of vocabulary, shitload of words are just a bit different

I'll also add that in years past I have learned the basics of German grammar so it's not my first time with grammatical genders and cases.

Hello mr KGB major.