So we know that Rose of Versailles had two different directors and Dezaki worked on it only in the second half...

So we know that Rose of Versailles had two different directors and Dezaki worked on it only in the second half. But can anyone tell me how this effected the show? From what I've seen the style was rather consistent, maybe the second half was a bit less avant-garde but it did have the similar transitions from animated frames to painted pictures for example.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadezhda_Durova
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You thought the second half was less avant garde? Hmm. I think there's a small shift in tone.

The change in direction was pretty obvious, no? Have you even watched the show up to that point?

Yes, I watched the whole thing. Maybe just I'm bad at these things, but I still am interested. Might mentioning some of the things I percieved.
Yeah, the first part would do more split screens, color shifts or I also remember there was a scene in which the fram got covered by blood.

Oh, I see what you mean, in the cinematographic sense. I remember those. Plot wise, there's a definite shift that I don't know how much of was either planned ahead of time or a result of different direction. It's probably both.

>he actually wants to discuss anime

>he doesn't

It's weird how the people who complain that Sup Forums doesn't have substantial discussion are the first ones to try and derail any thread intended for such.

I thought that the style remained pretty consistent.

The overall tone does shift, as it sort of did in the manga, about half way through, particularly when Oscar got consumption, but artistically I'm not so certain

Yeah, there's no distinction to be made artistically.

The show's entire visual aesthetic was altered between two episodes. The first Dezaki episode was the one where Oscar, Andre and that adoptive girl were hanging at a meadow or something, riding horses and chilling. It ends with that other girl jumping to her death.

That's what I thought, but I wouldn't say that the art itself changed. The style of direction and tone, but the art was consistent. Unless there's something I'm forgetting.

Well the faces became way longer after Dezaki started directing.

Is the story of Oscar herself actually plausible. Could a woman possibly gain that kind of position in France at that time?

I don't think I ever got very far in the anime or manga (Because I'm an ADHD infested jackass), but I remember comparing both.

The Anime was SUPER melodramatic while the manga had the same scenes that came off as witty and refined.

So this is the new /dicksoundingofficial/?

Of course, welcome.

OSCAR IS CUTE! CUTE!

Of course not. Unless she was m-me de Pompadour. But mme de Pompadour wasn't really like Oscer, was she? The whole premise, that some codger made his girl behave like a man and everyone just went along and didn't either sic the church on him or ship him right to the French version of Bedlam is just ridiculous. There was Chevalier d'Eon, but that was actually a male, and he was in intelligence work, so he was allowed some liberties.

There was a Russian cavalry officer who was a woman during the Napoleonic Wars, but that was a few centuries down the line.

The difference is that everyone thought that she was a man, and great lengths were gone to by her superiors to keep her gender secret

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadezhda_Durova

>a few centuries down the line
>Napoleonic Wars
actually more like a few decades
RoV sequel manga is set during Napoleonic Wars

I have the Eng DVD and in the extras they have interviews. Dezaki said he believed that it should not entirely be a "kira kira" shoujo story [here they cut to a shot of a early episode young Antoinette with bubbles and sparkles], he said it was a harsh story about politics and these two soldiers (Oscar and Andre). Or something like that. Although the manga was very shoujo.

I can definitely see how that attitude translated into his part of the show. For what it's worth, both of them coexisting in tandem are one of the reasons I like it so much.

I genuinly did not notice any changes. I had no idea about this and never even thought of it.

But being an adaptation, I always atteibuted any dropped plot threads to the mangaka anyway.

Funny thing something like Oscar's situation wouldn't really happen France at the time. They were pretty set in gender roles even in the revolutionary period.

>Can't enjoy this show because it glorifies the revolutionaries who were a bunch of bloody proto-communists

It totally does not.

room_full_of_people_who_care.jpg, you salty royalist crybabby
Also
>glorifies
Did we watch the same show? It either shits on them, as it did on picrelated, or I dunno, is just weird. Drawing Robespierre as some kinda manly big guy? I get it that all the baka gaijins probably seem tall and swole to Japanese people, but still...

It was weird how Oscar gave up on Maria Antoinette. She should've stood by her and tried to whisk her and her family off before shit hit the fan in the first place.

Yes, ultimately I agree with this.

>room_full_of_people_who_care.jpg

You cared enough to respond, you freemason cunt.

>someone cucks you repeatedly and is a generally vapid, autistic cunt who didn't mature past 14 y.o.
>you mature past 14 y.o.
>you give up on them and try to do your own thing
Seems like what a reasonable person would do.

It's the fault of aristocrats for creating that kind of response.

That has nothing to do with her decision.

The BGM timing was improved when Dezaki came on board.

You don't get jarring shifts in the soundtrack in the second half like you did on occasion in the first.

MA being immature is no excuse to leave her to an angry mob that plans on killing her and her family. She betrayed Marie, her father, and her country by assuming the people would be better off under the insane rule of radicals and terrorists.

I don't think Oscar thought that's how it was going to go down, but yeah.

Did we watch the same show?

It's one of the most neutral portrayals of the French Revolution in fiction.

>trying this hard to fit in
lurk for 2 years before posting

She tried to convince her friend to change her ways, she didn't. She gave her a chance and tried to reason with her.

I'm about 17 eps into this and absolutely loving it, but goddamn the direction in dramatic moments is about as subtle as a brick. It's so cheesy and over the top, which is effective (kinda fun too) but I guess it can't help being a bit dated.

Oops, I meant decades,
Doesn't the sequel focus on Rosalie?