SR-71 Blackbird was developed in the late 50's/early 60's

>SR-71 Blackbird was developed in the late 50's/early 60's
>has set records that no other aircraft on record have surpassed
>this plane was developed closer to the Wright Brother's first flight than now.

Really makes you think, what else has the government cooked up since then?

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/extreme/170463-lockheed-unveils-sr-72-hypersonic-mach-6-scramjet-spy-plane
youtube.com/watch?v=bXlfiPejcrI
machinedesign.com/defense/darpa-explores-membrane-telescope-spying-earth
youtube.com/watch?v=izIClWYKK1o
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=65&v=mOlismuQbls
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Something GHOULish, no doubt.

we put satelites in space to do it's job. It's a cost/benefit thing.

There are lots of scientific hard limits in performance.
Things don't all advance like digital electronics have in the last 50-60 years.
Things like engine thermodynamics, etc. are essentially or almost perfected as much as they can be.

This thing made the Russkies shit their pants back in the day

Aviation has not made any leaps. It still takes the same amount of time to fly from L.A to NY now as it did in the 60's.

Homo rays

New materials can change the dynamics very quickly

UFOs

>implying black ops projects use jet engines

These

>Really makes you think, what else has the government cooked up since then?

Planes that fly without a pilot.

This guy. He gets it.

I never can unsee the Xenomorph when I see a predator drone.
Legit PvA flickershow WHEN?

not really

with the russians fast interceptor Mig-25/31 this little bird was always in danger and was WAY to costly for this

Chemicals in the water that turn the frogs gay

Why dont you use google:
extremetech.com/extreme/170463-lockheed-unveils-sr-72-hypersonic-mach-6-scramjet-spy-plane

I can remember when the government used to throw us a bone every now and then. Big media event for the unveiling of the SR71, stealth fighter, B2 bomber. Those were the days. Now everything is lies and secrecy.

GHOULish indeed user

Those are good till a war with a major power happens. Satellites can be shot out of the sky.

Nothing.

All the Nazi scientist that built the SR-71 and the Saturn V died.

Drones that travel at velocities nearly double the SR-71 exist. It's just too dangerous/unnecessary to man those aircraft-the future is in autonomous and unmanned systems.

Wrong. Aviation took many leaps, it's just that all of the savings are in fuel economy (composite constructions, higher efficiency engines etc) rather than speed when it comes to airliners. Almost all airliners cruise in the transonic regime (Mach 0.85 or so) because it turns out that even though engines' overall thermodynamic efficiency increases as the Mach no increases, there's a MASSIVE drop in efficiency at Mach 1 due to a phenomenon called shock waves. The efficiency that is achieved at around M=0.85 is exceeded around Mach 6, but current technologies mean it's not feasible economically to build airliners capable of these speeds.

> -t. Aero engineer

The real weakness was that the SR71 couldn't fly through Russian airspace, it had to skirt along borders and take oblique photos. A satellite can do a direct flyover and get a top down look. The tradeoff is satellites have a predictable orbit, the Russians know our schedule and know the hours we don't have coverage.

Consider the fact that the old guard of patriotic engineers (who attended quality schools) have been replaced with pajeets and chinks who lack any creativity in design.

Kek that mig can't even reach Mach 3 without its engine collapsing, the SR71 did it constantly

>has set records that no other aircraft on record have surpassed
That civilians know of. The F-117 was fully operational for about a decade before it was ever leaked to the public.

Plus the SR-71 really pushes the limits of materials more than technology. Going that fast inside the atmosphere is really limited by heat, not power. The laws of physics dictate that all elements have melting points. You can't work around that.

The F-111 was the fastest aircraft at sea level. The limiting factor was the canopy. Go too fast that low and the heat will actually start to melt the polymer canopy and turn it opaque.

The Mig-25 and Mig-31 were built to intercept things like the SR-71 and can go so fast they actually melt the leading edges of their wings and vertical stabilizers.

Ummm, Delta 4 Heavy/Orion, four mars rovers, Pluto flyby, probe landed on surface of Titan while mothership orbited Saturn, most of the work and money on the "International" Space Station, lots and lots of other stuff I can't even think of at the moment.

Also Hubble Space Telescope, soon to be replaced by James Webb Space Telescope, most advanced spy satellites built by anyone, on and on.

>upon going back and using a modern computer to see if the design could be improved upon, there was virtually nothing that could be done to make it better
the SR-71 was an absolute masterpiece, the reason nothing has surpassed it is because doing so would be physically impossible

>The tradeoff is satellites have a predictable orbit, the Russians know our schedule and know the hours we don't have coverage.

Some people speculate this is the purpose of the X-37b. It might be a spy satellite that has a lot of "delta V". Meaning it has a lot of extra fuel and can change its orbit by a lot over the course of its mission. By being able to manipulate its orbit so much it can be totally unpredictable and be impossible to know when it will pass overhead or what exact orbit trajectory it is on.

It also has the ability to land, be refueled, upgraded, and put back into orbit again which makes it more cost effective than throw away designs.

But nobody really knows it's true purpose which makes it that much more intriguing and mysterious.

There's an Aurora all around this subject.

I know a guy in the AF. He can confirm that the military has much more advanced aircraft than what you know of. They don't release that info to the public until they have something better. Also, what this guy says.

WWII used Drones.

> youtube.com/watch?v=bXlfiPejcrI

LOADING RED PODS NOW EVERYONE DIES IN 30 CALL YOUR DAD CALL YOUR MOM IT'S OVER

>thinks progress is linear
How linear is the scaling of drag with speed? That's right, I thought so. Stupid fucking burger, I bet you actually learned something in public school instead of learning on your own and playing hookey like a real intellectual human

MiG-25 may have been intended to counter similar high/fast threats(the XB-70 more so than the SR-71), but SAMs were the biggest threat, from day one to the end of the program

I saw a flying saucer type craft up close. It's kinda sad/angering/funny to see the faces of normies when i tell them about it.

see
Worth noting that what advances are made in efficiency are often traded for increased maximum takeoff weight - more passengers and more fuel for longer flights - instead of shorter flight times. This is largely because aerodynamic forces acting on the plane are exponential, not linear. That is, to go twice as fast would require four times as much energy. Four times the energy is four times the fuel, which doesn't leave a lot of room for passengers. That in mind, obviously reducing the length of flights is not the way to increase profit margins. If you think airlines give two shits about anything else, well...

SHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIII-

I think your right on this one, for a while the Air Force or somebody was experimenting with a small solid rocket that would be drop launched from an airplane to orbit a "surprise" spy satellite on short notice, also for the element of unpredictability.

I'm with this her e

You are retarded, it would be difficult and expensive to do so. There are only a handful of countries that can even get into space, let alone hit an object a few meters wide.

nothing

back then engineers and military design facilities worked under a very real existential threat and this enabled them to produce incredibly effective and useful technology

since the collapse of the Soviet Union, the MIC has transformed into 100% welfare queen tax dollar vacuum where they just sit around and think up the most worthless bullshit that will be most successful in getting tax money for their own personal income.

It's a brilliant, beautiful machine but unfortunately satellite photography became so good it was rendered obsolete almost as soon as it was completed.

>Really makes you think, what else has the government cooked up since then?
SR-72 is in production, it's said to travel at mach 5.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Sexy beast, but bi plane mode.

>since the collapse of the Soviet Union, the MIC has transformed into 100% welfare queen tax dollar vacuum where they just sit around and think up the most worthless bullshit that will be most successful in getting tax money for their own personal income.
THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE!!!!

>the government
Nope. After WW2 we captured nazi scientists and brought them to a place called area 51 where they worked for us. The rocket and almost all of NASA was them.

>umm try again sweety...

It's fried egg, ama niggers.

Any vehicle that moved at twice the speed of the blackbirds would be a one time use vehicle

>what else has the government cooked up since then

nothing. Since the advent of software, great engineering projects have just ended up being decades long money graves.

What about rifles? The AR was also developed during the 60s and while it has been modified over the years it hasn't changed that much.

Aurora, real. SB3-Ghoul, real. Deal with it. Even the F-117 was flown for almost a decade before anyone had a clue it was in the air. The public is consistently a decade+ behind on aircraft advancements. They designed the SR-71 with freaking slide rules people.

If you read up on what happened to the airframe, etc as it heated up , expanded, etc it’s amazing any of them flew.

While it is obsolete now, it was rather cool looking.

EWACS you fucktard

You know what's weird, right, I was just thinking a while ago, next year there'll be the same amount of time between present day and the first Halo game as there was between the first Halo game and Super Mario Bros on the NES

>>Those are good till a war with a major power happens
>There are only a handful of countries that can even get into space
It's a good thing those major powers can't get into space.

>cant go faster than mach 3
what are spacecraft

Former Air Force here. Generally speaking, if the public knows about something, it is either obsolete or its replacement is in the prototype phase. And no, I can't prove it.

>... and can go so fast they actually melt the leading edges of their wings and vertical stabilizers.

Well then the speed is limited by materials. Graphite could solve his.

The Hubble telescope is designed to take high resolution pictures of deep space,13 billion lightyears away.

In 2012, NASA was gifted two spy satellites from the NSA. The satellites were equipped with 8 feet mirrors, more powerful than the Hubble telescope with more than 100 times the field of view, designed to point at Earth.

Makes you wonder what kind of stuff they have floating up there that they didn't need those satellites anymore.

Get out of here with that shit, anons. SCRAM!

Probably not, the physical properties of graphite might not be able to withstand the aerodynamic forces of super sonic flight, especially with heat. Plus weight might also be an issue.

Your friend is full of shit and would have no knowledge of such craft.

Membrane telescopes.

machinedesign.com/defense/darpa-explores-membrane-telescope-spying-earth

what else would they use?

Yet a fighter jet from the commies was almost as fast

Nowadays we have satellites doing that.

>X-15
>Mach 6.7
>in 1967

Electrogravitics

Right, I meant graphene.

X-37B it's in space now. Soon to be replaced by the X-40

It even had wing fences to keep the spanwise flow from...deflecting to the west.

TR-3B, "The Spirit of Patton" and other generals.

my old man was in the raf so he has old mates that went on to fulfill a range of different roles, one of them was a vulcan pilot who was overtaken by the oxcart a12, a blackbird prototype, over the north sea when it was still top secret, specs on this earlier model show its performance exceeded that of the final design. makes you wonder what team at skunkworks handled the prototype and what they went on to develop.

Actually it was the Mig 31 variant and it requires a shitload of maintenance to keep them operational.

Probably not much else, I think we peaked in the early 70's in the creative sense.

Also your standard chemical batteries are pretty close to as good as they'll ever get

there are robots walking among us but i will not say where, all i can say is if you see someone tap their heart area they are a robot

It took several hours just to spin the motors up on these things. A marvel of aeronautics but impractical.

Oh....nothing much. The TR-3 Black Triangle UFO that everybody keeps seeing.

We probably have stuff even more advanced than that by now.
Those have been around since the early 90s.

small arms are basically at the highest (currently) possible performance now, in order for a major breakthrough, other technologies need to progress first.

Is this the tr 3b?

Thing leaks fuel like a sieve sitting on the ground because of how much expansion occurs at altitude and speed.

As everyone else already said...materials science needs to advance more so than engine technology.

SKYKING SKYKING DO NOT ANSWER

We could shoot it down.

If WWII in Europe had gone on for another year or two we would have seen shit that would still seem like science fiction.

>the government has UFOs and shit
>but they can't even develop a good multirole jet
you guys are too optimistic, the F-35 is the perfect case study of what a government will do with a blank check

4 more years left and I'll be a PhD trying to change that all.
>t. whitemail who will be running skunkworks in 15 years

Leaky, sketchy to light, needs fuel by the time it gets to the end of the runway... sounds perfect.

I would love to try one of those civilian flights but it is stupidly expensive now. it used to be a lot cheaper to hop in a mig-25 and get a ride up to 92,000 feet, and experience weightlessness and mach 2.8.

youtube.com/watch?v=izIClWYKK1o

magnets

why lie? and if you know that you are not an expert, why pretend to be. just shut up.

to the other anons: the ar-71 violated russian airspace with impunity. all the time, it violatedthe fuck out of russia’s trembling, helpless airspace. there are entire books written by blackbird pilots about these missions. i own some.

not until the MiG-31 entered service in the 1980s did this change.

That was a rocket not an air breathing jet engine faggot

Non-potato version in a newer jet with a better camera.
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=65&v=mOlismuQbls

leak shit about ayy lmaos on here when you run skunkworks pls senpai