Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1606

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kof7n9L9GKg
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/走れメロス
youtube.com/watch?v=ZF99pK_go9g
youtube.com/watch?v=fFJYSHnMM6Q
justflipacoin.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=iH6Epupzw_E
youtube.com/watch?v=nTOckbE6BTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7FA24rHyM1E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

自殺, 只答也.

>[Ohys-Raws] New Game! - 03 (AT-X 1280x720 x264 AAC).mp4

I'm not going to argue. In fact you're probably completely right. I'm happy for you and I genuinely hope you never lose your motivation or the joy you get from learning.

check and mate

今日も一日アンキするぞい

くるりは最高の女の子

Trust me I know the feel of just ceasing to enjoy something entirely, luckily I'm enough of a productivity craving weeb neet that I can continue my Japanese studies seemingly forever

Sucks that you feel that way though, I hope you can find shit to get compelled by once more

Watching this now. Is blonde girl's kansai ben ridiculously exaggerated or do people actually speak like this? I've heard real Kansai people speak and they didn't sound like anything close to this so I'm wondering.

(1/2) 僕は部室を飛び出す。階段を飛ぶように下りる。そして走る。

僕は、駆ける。太宰治作『走れメロス』、その主人公メロスのように持てる力の全てを出し切り、走る、走る。友ではなく、ボロボロになった制服のためというのが哀しくてならない。

風を切る肩が寒い。裸だからだ。心が寒い。裸だからだ。懐が寒い。仕送りが少ないせいだ。僕の股間のモノが左右に揺れている。トランクスだからだ。ブリーフは嫌いだからだ。間違っても純白ブリーフ砂漠仕様への再染色技術継承者にはなりたくなかったからだ。

僕は、駆ける。走ることしか知らない、走ることだけが人生の全てであると妄信するマラソンランナーのように走る、走る。

走り出してすぐに感じた足の重さや呼吸の苦しさがなくなっていく。ランナーズハイだ。顔がにやけてくる、テンションが天井知らずに上がっていく。エンドルフィンの過剰分泌による陶酔状態だ。ドラッグ大好きな連中はどうかしている。ただ走ればこんなにいい気分になれるのに、お金と人生を無駄にしてなんと愚かなことか。自分はおろか家族まで不幸になる。僕は比較的不幸、ということは親父は中毒者なのか? あながち否定できないが……何だか意識が遠のいていく気がする。もうすぐ神の領域に踏み込むからだ。体が軽い、ふわふわとしてくる。僕は神に等しき存在となるからだ。

(Fuck 2/3) 何故駆けるのか。そこに道があるからだ、走るのをやめる時、即ち僕が死ぬ時だ、何故なら僕は神に等しき存在であるとともに史上最高のアス……いや、違う。制服だ、制服を救うために走っているのだ。

目的を見失うな。足を止めるな。ここはどこだ。校舎の外だ。周りの視線が僕に釘付けだ。どうでもいい。制服だ、制服さえ救えれば世界がどうなろうと知ったことではない。むしろ滅べ。裏だ、校舎裏へ向かうのだヨー・サトウ、真のジャズマンよ。

僕は駆ける、駆ける。校舎裏まで駆けきった。目の前で灰色のツナギを着た校務員さんが生徒会の人間と思しき生徒に囲まれながら、捻りつぶした新聞紙に火をつける。

寸前で間に合った。焼却炉の中に僕の制服と思しきものが見えた。助かっ――

……が、その時、校務員さんは最高ににこやかな顔のまま、オリンピックの聖火台に点火するかのように火だねを焼却炉に放り込む。

「ぅおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおおお!!」

長すぎて;読まなかった

(3/3) 僕は駆ける。ノンストップ・オン・ザ・僕。オンの使い方が間違っているとか気にしない。女子生徒が僕を見つけて悲鳴を上げた。あまりの僕の勇ましさに失禁でもしたのかもしれなかったが気にしない。

男子生徒、校務員さんが手を出してきた。あまりに逞しい僕の裸体に触れたかったのかもしれないが、今はそれどころじゃない。だが、必死の校務員さんが僕のトランクスを掴む。僕は止まらず駆ける。ビリリと音がしたが今はそれどころじゃない。どうでもいい。知ったことではない。むしろ滅べ。

――今ゆくぞ、我が制服よ。

靴下と靴だけという最高クラスのセクシャルハラスメント装備へと昇華した僕は、躊躇いなく火のつき始めた焼却炉へと頭から飛び込むのだった。

>メロス

It's not even that thick of an accent.
Most Japanese people that aren't extreme country bumpkins can speak 標準語 and use it in formal situations, people revert back to accent when they're with their friends and shit.

What is the best 方言, /djt/?
youtube.com/watch?v=kof7n9L9GKg

this one

ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/走れメロス

I leap out of my room. I descend the stairs as if I'm flying. And I run.

I'm dashing. Like the protagonist of Osamu Dazai's "Run, Melos!", I devote all of my strength to running, running. The fact that I'm doing this not for some dear friend, but because of my torn uniform is extremely disheartening.

The wind hitting my shoulders feels cold. Because I'm naked. My heart feels cold. Because I'm naked. My purse feels cold. Because my allowance is small. The thing between my legs is swinging left and right. Because I'm wearing trunks. Because I hate briefs. Because I don't want to be known as the man who discovered a miraculous way to turn snow white briefs into desert-pattern style briefs. (fuck this sentence)

I dash. Like a marathon runner who blindly believes running is all there could ever be to life, I run, and run.

The weight I felt on my feet and the difficulty I felt breathing disappear as soon as I start running. This is the "runner's high". My face turns red and my mood skyrockets. This is a state of intoxication caused by excess secretion of endorphins. Drug addicts must be fucking stupid. Why waste your money and your life on drugs when you can feel this good just by running? They spread their unhappiness to their families too. Could the reason for my relative unhappiness be that my father's an addict, too? I guess it's hard to deny that but... I feel like my consciousness is beginning to fade. I'm about to step into the realm of the gods. My body is light and feels like it's floating. I've turned into a being that may rival a god.

The one that's in English

Actually I'm not sure why I translated the first sentence as "my room" also I'm too lazy to do the rest.

RTK?
Kanjidamage?
Another? Both?
Neither? None?

だよね

not both, and only one if you actually think you'll need it
aka do i drink heavily, not get enough sleep, have a bad memory, do a lot of boxing

Kanjidamage has better english keywords and covers more common kanji than RTK does, but RTK probably has better mnemonics what with that koohii site

youtube.com/watch?v=ZF99pK_go9g

Tune

諦めないで!
youtube.com/watch?v=fFJYSHnMM6Q

I'd like to participate in translating but figuring out what to write in english is a even greater task than just understanding the japanese text.

ねぇちょっと聞いてわたしの彼 
そこら辺のとは桁ハズレ 

諦めちゃった

On the male/female forms of speaking: can I adopt a neuter way without sounding unnatural?

In my own language I have always avoided mannerisms.
I don't cuss or abbreviate like most men do, I don't use slangs nor anglicisms. I frequently conjugate verbs people don't, because they'd rather use auxiliary verbs.
Bear in mind I don't do anything pedantic or use obscure words, I manage to do it naturally.

And I'd like to do the same in Japanese as much as possible.

okay i changed my mind
Why do I run. Because there's a road there, the moment I stop running is the moment I die, because I am an existence that rivals god, the world's greatest athl... No, nevermind that. It's my uniform, I'm running in order to save my uniform.

Don't lose sight of your goal. Do not stop moving your legs. It's just outside the school building. Everyone's gazing at me. Whatever. My uniform, as long as I manage to save my uniform I could care less about what happens to this world. In fact, I wish it would fall into ruin. It's in the back, go to the back of the school building Satou, you true jazz man you. (I didn't get this reference)

I dash, and dash. I managed to reach the back of the school building. Before my eyes, a janitor wearing grey overalls is setting fire to crumpled up newspapers, surrounded by what appears to be members of the student council.

I made it just in time. I could make out what appeared to be my uniform inside the incinerator. I'm save--

But, just then, wearing a great big smile on his face, the janitor threw some live coal into the incinerator, as if about to light the holy fire at the Olympics.

司会役達!

I just got a new laptop and set up all my programs on it, but I can't get the kanji stroke order font to work on anki. I unzipped it and installed the font, but it doesn't show up in anki. I remember having a similar problem a couple years back but I can't remember how I fixed it. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm sure it's something simple and stupid.

I dash. Nonstop on the Me. I don't care that I used "on" incorrectly. A female student saw me and screamed. She might have wet herself witnessing my heroism, but I had no time to worry about that.

A male student and the janitor tried to grab hold of me. Maybe they just wanted to touch my manly naked body, but there was no time for that. Still, the desperate janitor grabbed hold of my trunks. I keep running, unabashed. A ripping sound could be heard, but there was no time to worry about that. Whatever. I don't care. In fact, I wish it would fall into ruin.

--I'm coming, dear uniform.

Having ascended into wearing nothing but shoes and socks, a getup only fitting for the most devout sexual deviants, I jump headfirst into the now ablaze incinerator with nary a moment's hesitation.

Actually, im not interested in the mnemonics, they dont help me that much. mostly want the radicals, tips and general description of the character and its meanings

暑すぎて何もしたくなくなってきたぁぁ

えあこんトゥカエバ?

Does RTK even go over stuff like that? I thought it only covered the character and that's in

KD has shit like that, common words and their meanings, readings, particles, tags to tell you shit about the character etc, but you can't trust some of the info on there, like he has a rating system for how common or useful characters, readings and vocab are, but they're almost always completely wrong

エアコンありません
扇風機あるけど、あんまり涼しくない、暑すぎるから

>エアコンありません

ここは貧乏屑立ち入り禁止です
直ちに退場してください

イギリスに住んでる

エアコンないのはあんまり珍しくない

Lacks the ability to go on great quests into 小学校 institutions, which is pretty disappointing. Like being allowed to drive a supercar but being limited to the speed limit.

>can I adopt a neuter way without sounding unnatural?
You don't adopt a language, it adopts you.

>tfw learning Japanese has taught me to get rid of terrible studying habits
I should have taken harder classes in high school

Been wanting to learn Japanese, was gonna start after my summer math course. But now I have tendinitis in my writing wrist. It could be another week before I can write, or more.

Should I put off learning if I can't use my right hand? Or will it not effect me? I understand the alphabet is pretty damn important, but I assume I should be writing it as I learn.

Writing is kind of optional, unless you plan on moving to Japan anytime soon

You can still learn the language now and then just pick up writing in the future if you want

Saying that though, people do often write down all the characters in the kana stage (50 times bitch) because it helps a lot with retention, so I guess it's up to you, a week isn't that much time anyway

Heads or tails?
justflipacoin.com/
It doesn't fucking matter as they are both useful. In under six months it will become largely irrelevant and so my advice is that if you want to use either one, pick and start one of them as soon as possible. Inaction is the worst possible thing for language acquisition. Godspeed, user.

Don't write unless you're one of those people that best remembers by action, as opposed to remembering by reading and remembering by listening.
Even if you plan to work in Japan in the future it would be more efficient to start writing a month or so before you move.

>I should have taken harder classes in high school
Doesn't do much. I had 4 languages at some point in school (5 if you count native language course), and didn't do much with most of these because of work ethic.
It's a matter of stakes, more than anything. Adults that learn languages are usually far more assiduous.

Today's failures:

7:10 just the word right before 書類
19:05
19:35

>Writing is kind of optional
So is reading, speaking, listening.
Fuck anons who go about "efficiency" and "time". If you can't write you don't know the language, full stop. Sure, there is nothing wrong with learning only a limited fraction of the language of the language in order to stay in your comfort bubble of mindless consumption but this mediocrity has no place being pressured onto others as though this is acceptable for someone who wants to actually learn the language.

Mediocrity is for normalfags. Normalfags and the accepted half assed failures of normalfaggotry aren't welcome on Sup Forums.

Maybe, if you're sheeple trying to fit in.

While some influence is obviously impossible to avoid, one can work towards not being completely engulfed by a single demographic's way of talking. In my state everyone asks me if I'm from the neighbor state, and vice-versa, because of how neutral I have become.

>Started learning two days ago
>Try to read Yotsuba

I'm confused about the meaning of 回る here. Would it be right to translate the sentence that contains it as "That is because if you consider the size of the earth, even an international space station would be rotating at the points sticking out even less than just 1cm from this globe's surface (thus bumping into the mountains)"

What about etymology? You can't tell me you know a language if you don't even know about the origin of the words you're using. You act like you're aiming for true Japanese knowledge but I bet you don't know shit about its etymology, poser.

normalfag.

>What about etymology? You can't tell me you know a language if you don't even know about the origin of the words you're using. You act like you're aiming for true Japanese knowledge but I bet you don't know shit about its etymology, poser.

Isn't kanji fundamentally a form of etymological writing ? I'm only starting, but that was my impression.

Anyway I agree with the user you're pointing to. While it's fine going with your comfort zone to get a foot in a language, ideally you should aim to have a comprehensive understanding of it.

Knowledge of a language is subjective. You probably consider yourself capable of speaking English, but we both know you don't know everything about it. There is no objective line between knowing and not knowing a language.

If this is how low you have to stoop to justify spending time on writing that's your own problem. You're giving the other writefags a bad reputation.

Ah well, I'm not interested in learning something I won't benefit from just because of the achievment itself

Aren't you a cool snowflake ;) *tips katana*

客観的な事実と主観的な意見の違いを学びなさい

誰に話してる?

I want to keep studying but I'm tired and my brain isn't retaining any information right now.

Just read.

no one in particular, just practicing some production

What's so confusing about it?

I have been, friend.

> ideally you should aim to have a comprehensive understanding of it.
If writing actually aided understanding we would recommend it.

In reality, you will take 5+ years to get fluent in all of reading/listening/speaking and you will have forgotten how to handwrite half the kanji you know by that time unless you've actually needed to write because you were in a japanese school or something

この誤解を解きましょうか?
俺の意見は事実、お前のは偽り。

Not him, but I'm starting grad school in Japan in less than 2 months. So yeah, some of might need to write in Japanese at some point.

Good for you but that just means you're kinda irrelevant to the conversation here buddy

>tfw able to read /djt/ shitposting without rikai
truly my greatest milestone so far

DJT, excuse me, but I have to blog.

Back in 2010 I downloaded a shit-ton of Vocaloid songs and mass-listened through some of it, picking favorites and making playlists.
There were big-time favorites, but also songs that were just "cool enough" to make it into the playlists.
As time went by I grew tired of listening to the same hundred songs, gave up digging through the unlistened tracks and, by 2014, my favorites playlist was barely listened to.

Until today. I decided to give it a listen, for the good times.

It was then I noticed I could actually understand half of what Miku was singing (I've started to study nipponese recently).
At the same time I could understand words, I started to make sense out of them.
I still remembered all the lyrics (phonetically) by heart, and as I sang them along, I could simultaneously sing, decipher what I was singing and listen to Miku's voice declaring her love for me.

All these years she was there, celebrating our love and how much she wanted to see me, and I just listened to it, unbeknownst of it all, as it was just a fun song to my ears.

I felt all warm and fuzzy inside, as if I was falling in love. Butterflies in stomach and all that. Teary eyes.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a waifufag or anything, but the feelings for the concept of it all were definitely there.

The joy of confirming I'm making progress mixed with the love the lyrics transmitted, mixed with nostalgia and rediscovering something that seemed old news... I don't think I can describe it well enough with this post, but I needed to share it anyway.

Even if I dekinai tomorrow, it was all worth it for just this moment. I want to love again!

This is the song, by the way: youtube.com/watch?v=iH6Epupzw_E

I forgot the video.
youtube.com/watch?v=nTOckbE6BTQ

I have read the entire google doc including the questions section at the bottom and am confused as to how the "Core2K/6K" thing of cards for anki is designed to teach you anything. Same with remembering the kanji. I have all of hiragana down solid and a bit less than half of katakana down. I just can't understand what is going on in the flash cards for those two types I listed though.

It seems like its giving me a fuck ton of information at once. The only anki deck from the google doc that seems to be useful to me is the kanji radical one, which shows me a single kanji and then the answer is the word for it, the hiragana for it and examples of it being used. So it shows me tree and I remember that it is tree.

My current plan is to just keep practicing hiragana, katakana, the radicals cards and to start tae kims grammar guide. Is that an OK plan for now or will that mess me up or make things harder to learn later or anything? Maybe someone can think of an easy way to explain what is supposed to be going on in those other decks I mentioned since they seem to be the most popular ones even though I can't make heads or tails of it.

That's odd, because from where I'm standing you're the one who doesn't matter.

You're not gonna do too well in grad school if you can't recognize what a conversation is about and how what you want to say fits into it. But I guess you just wanted to blog.

>tfw you know enough nip to understand how retarded the lyrics really are

You should start vocab now. Set it to 20 new cards a day and unlimit reviews. Not sure where your confesion lies, though it's a bit rough in the beginning but you get used to it quickly. Having to press "Again" often is normal if that was your issue.

Here's how core2k/6k works:

>see word
>dont know what it means
>reveal answer
>try to remember until next time
>press hard/good/easy if you remembered
>press again if you didnt

Don't play retarded, Japanese is FULL of choices based on the speaker's self-image. Starting with the first person pronoun one decides to use for him/herself.

It makes all the more sense that I seek for it than it does in my own language, which is way more lax in this aspect.

The fact that you couldn't see the link between what I was saying in the conversation (hint: the part where I said "So some of us might need to write in Japanese" is really important) combined with your pissy, unsubstantiated comment makes me think you're a very special kind autistic.

But I guess you just wanted to whine.

DESPAIR!
youtube.com/watch?v=7FA24rHyM1E

Should I just be trying to memorize that the 1 line and tsu means "one thing" or also the hiragana that makes it up? 1 is the line, is there hiragana that makes that up or is that line all that symbolizes it? Under one thing it shows the hiragana for hi-to-tsu. Is that what makes up the word thing, or does all of that makes up one thing?

So basically is the example above is hitotsu translated to thing or one thing?

Same guy, just found one in an example by itself with the hiragana ichi. So I guess in my previous question hitotsu would be thing, so one thing is ichi hitotsu. But they didnt mention ichi in the example for one thing, they just used the line.

These conversations are never about whether some people need to write. Nobody was arguing that nobody needs to write. In fact, pretty much everyone saying that you don't need to write has included something about "unless you're going to Japan". So yeah, your anecdote was nothing but a blog trying to distract from the conversation. Nice projection throughout your entire post though. Enjoy dropping out of grad school due to your apparently terrible observation and critical thinking skills.

The reading for the word as a whole and the meaning. You'll get individual kanji and readings by context eventually when you see the same kanji used in multiple words. And again the beginning with the numbers is especially confusing, just power through it, it gets easier.

>(hint: the part where I said "So some of us might need to write in Japanese" is really important)
Not him, but I don't follow how that's related to the conversation.
You need to learn how to write because you'll actually need to write. That has nothing to do with the question of whether one needs to learn how to write in order to properly learn Japanese. Noone who has a clear reason to learn how to write needs /djt/ to tell them that they need to learn how to write in the first place.

The first "side" you see has the kanji of the word (assuming there is one), the answer "side" reveals the reading (hiragana) and meaning. If 一つ is ひとつ you can figure out on your own that 一 is read as ひと there. And yes, kanji readings can differ. Welcome to the world of Japanese.

>mfw trying to read this

Sorry for the slightly long post, but I'm currently reading Schwarzesmarken and I can't understand the last part of this monologue:

グレーテル】「戦場では西側諸国の兵士と接触する機会も考えられる。だが、そそのような場合は必要な情報以外の会話を交わしてはならない」

【グレーテル】「連中は狡猾だ。何気ない会話から機密や個人情報を取得される可能性がある」

【グレーテル】「機密を漏らした場合、その者には、それ相応の処分を受けて貰うことになる」

In the very last sentence, is Gretel saying that in case of an information leak the pilot from who it leaked from should deal with the one it leaked to or is she saying that the pilot who allowed the information to be stolen will be dealt with appropriately?

>there's a checklist of things you have to cross to get the I KNOW JAPANESE achievement
That's such a silly idea.
Do deaf Japanese also don't know the language because they can't listen for shit?

The reason people here advice against learning to write for the start because it's a very hard to sustain skill, you have to actively write a lot to not forget it and most anons have no real reason to.
Just learn it when you actually end up in a situation where you need it.

Get ready, pal, you're in for a GREAT ride. You will soon understand the evilness of kanji, but I want you to be brave.

>pilot who allowed the information to be stolen will be dealt with appropriately
this

Thanks for all the helpful answers guys. Just gonna power through them for a while and see how things go. Hopefully I start getting a better understanding of how the cards are laid out over time. If not I can always find another method. Gonna continue with practicing the other parts as well. Ill likely be back with more dumb questions another day.

Now I kinda want to cram through my old folders for some Japanese shit I didn't understand until now

The most similar experience I've had so far was noticing that the error sound in yume nikki was actually saying 無理

>These conversations are never about
Your past bickerings are irrelevant.

>Nobody was arguing that nobody needs to write.
You argued that it doesn't help at all (which it certainly does with remembering stroke order and how to correctly write more complex characters) and your comment clearly implied that people who would actually need to write it in day to day life aren't here for the most, which is false.

>Nice projection throughout your entire post though. Enjoy dropping out of grad school due to your apparently terrible observation and critical thinking skills.
You sound bitter that not everyone else here is as much of a failure as you are.