Probably the biggest flaw of this show, and perhaps the other big 3 shounens as well, is that nothing is ever at stake

Probably the biggest flaw of this show, and perhaps the other big 3 shounens as well, is that nothing is ever at stake

Although One Piece might parade around the consequences, nothing actually ever happens that has any lasting negative effect.
Every arc is 'and they lived happily ever after, until the new island where we repeat the exact same shit for another 50 episodes'

Take the water7 arc for example. Usopp should have probably died after the Franky House beat the living shit out of him twice in a row. But, he miraculously survived. Ok, whatever. And then, after getting in an argument with Luffy, he takes several full power hits from Luffy on his skull and abdomen.

Yet, Usopp survives and eventually rejoins the crew, after burning as many bridges as possible. And this is the main issue:

Even if the show might try to convey that something is at stake, it all works out to be exactly perfect and everyone ends up happy. They get to eat their cake and have it, too.

There's literally no tension in Dragon ball, Naruto, Bleach, or One piece, because no one of importance ever dies unless they're a bad guy. The only time good guys die is when it's a fucking flashback in One Piece

>one piece and other big 3
>dragonball

You're watching a show made for seven year olds. If you want consequences watch early tomino or something.

Shonens are for 13-16 years od people

the biggest flaw is the shit art and story

kind of hard to stop watching it after keeping up with the series since 1999

>insulting One Piece
It's not even worth it, they're just going to link it in their general and then dogpile this thread with claims that it's a masterpiece.

artistic style is subjective in terms of taste

also, the story wouldn't be so shit if the arcs weren't so repetitive. The show just had to be about a pirate crew exploring an interesting and neat world while becoming stronger and having the stakes raised, but every arc goes like this:

>whoa new island cool!
>wow this place is neat
>not everything is sunshine and lolipops though, bad guys exist here
>let's have luffy and co. do meaningless shit while the baddies make their move
>oh shit now everything's fucked up
>luffy arrives like a hero at the last second
>luffy starts beating the shit out of big bad
>Zoro gets the second baddest villain
>everyone else eats the scraps that fall from Luffy and Zoro
>Big bad becomes more strong, Luffy becomes passionate and btfo's him anyway
>yay everything's perfect now!
>next island

Yeah there's a sad lack of actual consequences in anime and live action tv. The only shows or books I can think of with actual consequences in them that I can think of are TWD, GoT, Breaking Bad, and Death Note

>muh death
>muh rape
>muh edge

eat shit. Honestly just shove a pinecone up your ass you fucking summerfag normie.

Everytime someone mentions that consequences need to feel real for tension, you asshats come out of the woodwork claiming that everyone else is just being 'edgy'.
There is a plethora of unjustified asspulls that save characters that, by all rights, should be fucking dead.
But because a retard like Oda doesn't have the balls to kill anyone, they all have deus ex machinas save the day.

There's literally no punishment for fucking up, or any actual issues. Everything is going to be just fine. Each time a villain starts killing Luffy, Luffy somehow becomes 'motivated' and shitfucks the other guy back.

>Oh Luffy can't reasonably beat even one admiral? How about he faces three at once and manages to escape their clutches
>hurr

Funny story, that's exactly the thing that is NOT happening in One Piece now.

>muh tension
>muh asspulls
>muh punishment

>normie
One Piece is shit, but you're cancer. Kill yourself.

Remember to report and sage any posts so crap threads like this will be squashed.

>he thinks sage is still effective

Luffy had to be saved during the fight with Doffy to rest before actually beating him, and each time skip does give Oda some leeway

if anything I would say there is tension but the reason it's less intense than it could be is the nature of the timeskips

Who are you quoting?

It's not that.

I'll assume this isn't bait and reply seriously but I have a feeling your hook is dragging me along.

Consequences do feel real in universe, and it's always funny when you mention the need for countless death. That's "Edgy".

Tension can be built in many ways, and different mediums, series, anime, manga, novels, shows, movies or anything can build tension in a multitude of ways.

A perfect example for this is Bojack Horseman. Any example show is fine but I like this example. The word Fuck is used twice in the series. The show is crude, and has it's serious undertones throughout the series. Yet Fuck is only used twice, and when it is used you know it. You feel it. Tension is built the entire time, until Bojack fucks up royally and fuck is pulled out. If you seen it; you'll know what I mean.

Moreover it just depends on both demographic and how someone wants a story to be told. Are you writing for 13-16 year olds? Or 30 year olds? Do you want your story to be grimdark? Or do you want it to be shades of grey where dark moments are felt heavier.

When people die left and right, it loses meaning. I'm sure we can all agree we did not see Ace dying actually happening, and because it did; it hit a lot harder then it ever would have if every episode someone died.

One Piece does a good job at building tension, it's one of the only series I still think they might lose(Like with Kuma) at any moment.

It's not perfect; it doesn't have to be.

>He took the bait and actually replied seriously to me.

didnt read

I thought so . I remember when you could have a conversation on Sup Forums. Wait no I don't it was always like this.

Please subscribe to my blog. Thanks.

I don't think it's that much of an issue, it has a light tone and the few deaths have been impactful. The real problem with One Piece is that it's so fucking repetitive and predictable. If it won't surprise us with serious consequences, it should at least surprise us with changes to the arc formula.

>I'll assume this isn't bait and reply seriously but I have a feeling your hook is dragging me along.

"I want to look more mature and smart than you, and I'll do this by saying that your argument is bait instead of just responding to the argument in the first place"

>Consequences do feel real in universe, and it's always funny when you mention the need for countless death. That's "Edgy".

except, I never mentioned countless death. Usopp is beaten to the point of unconsciousness. Then a second time. Then, takes a full power blast to the chest and a pistol punch to the face. Still not dead somehow. Then, after burning his bridges, gets back onto the crew. good writing there

>Tension can be built in many ways, and different mediums, series, anime, manga, novels, shows, movies or anything can build tension in a multitude of ways.

tension comes from the possibility of something happening. If that happening will never occur or have any real effect on the in-show universe, then you don't care about the possibility. So, no tension.

>A perfect example for this is Bojack Horseman. Any example show is fine but I like this example. The word Fuck is used twice in the series. The show is crude, and has it's serious undertones throughout the series. Yet Fuck is only used twice, and when it is used you know it. You feel it. Tension is built the entire time, until Bojack fucks up royally and fuck is pulled out. If you seen it; you'll know what I mean.

A cartoon about celebrity life and awkward drama is not the same as an action series

>Moreover it just depends on both demographic ... moments are felt heavier.

This is you attacking your own point you made literally a sentence ago.

>When people die left and right, it loses meaning ... episode someone died.

Attack on Titan, shitty as it is, at least had the tension because anyone could die at any moment, except for maybe Erin

>Wait no I don't it was always like this.
If you're just visiting wan piss threads it's your own fault.

>Thinks tension = characters die

Keep trying user.

nice anime get that ass banned

holy shit fuck off you goddam samefag

you replied to your own post, pretending to be me. Your reply time is literally 90 seconds after

holy shit it's fucking summer

Never could get into this series.

K

we both have the capability of photoshop, but your posting time gives you away.

seriously just go back to r/Sup Forums and stay there, your first mistake as a newfag was liking one piece

>Confirmed reddit user...

(you)

Lmao linking to reddit get the fuck off my board.

>reddit

>watching

Also, people said the same thing during Marineford; "No-one's in danger in OP", "there's no tension because we all know Ace will be rescued and will live". Then bam, fucking murdered right in front of everyone.

In the past 4 arcs, none have followed this "formula" aside from Dressrosa

>plebbit

Nah as the other guy said I photoshoped the image so I also added the reddit for bait.

You are so buttblasted that you're using photoshop?

What is Sabondy arc nigga. Did you even read it?

Straw hats have not won every fight and they've lost before and the losses have have huge impacts in the characters and the entire world in universe.

I wonder how many of you FAGS don't actually browse reddit. Not many of you I bet

No one uses reddit in here xD we are in the cool club of Sup Forums and use no other sites amirite guys? xD

>(you)
Fuck off crossboarder.

>implying that you aren't literally on so much damage control that you forget to remove the reddit in your post
>'I was just pretending to be reddit'

An actual fag from /reddit

>reddit

Then go there faggot.

>Has reddit in bookmarks
>Was surfing reddit while on Sup Forums

Kill yourself

>caught samefagging
>caught redditard
>'merely pretending' unironically used
>proceeds to defend reddit

Nah, it has awful stylization. At best, it's memorable.

We've already got a guy claiming to have photoshopped Reddit into his screenshot, you really think more screencaps are going to prove anything?

I don't even like one piece but you redditors are fucking cancer. You don't understand when an argument is over instead you keep shitposting until you get the last word.

Grow up or get the fuck out of here.

lol mods = gods

One Piece doesn't do edgy well and that's ok. We have HxH and Berserk and Akame ga Kill for stuff like that.

This is actually the reason the serious episodes of Pokemon are great to watch. Because the cost of losing is so low, the the tension is actually higher because you know there's a chance Ash can lose.

And he does lose, a lot. But it's because he loses so much that you can never guess the outcome of a battle before it happens.

I feel stupid replying to a thread with this much faggotry in it but I wanted to get that out there.

I'm done. This is harrasment