What went wrong?

What went wrong?

You

nothing

it just doesn't appeal to a wide audiance as much as something like Spirited Away or Mononokehime

Hideaki Anno

Tries to simultaneously talk about this man and his dreams but doesn't really talk about the downside of them and all the destruction it caused. Also fails to be an interesting drama yet it expects us to be utterly devastated when his wife dies.

It tried to do two things at once, like Howl's, and failed.

Hideaki Anno changed the ending. Miyazaki wanted to imply Jiro commit sudoku on the last scene but Anno hated it so Miyazaki changed it on the last minute, so Jiro's wife instead of saying koi (come), said ikiteru (live). That was Anno's favorite scene

Nothing went wrong.

It was good

>but doesn't really talk about the downside of them and all the destruction it caused.
I think the film does a fine job in letting the prelude to war and the rising tensions to give the audience a good guide as to where his dreams were leading. And it lets us decide whether or not it was justified. He just made the tools that the government used to wage war. All countries did it at the time All countries were headed to war and you'd be stupid to think some one wouldn't help their country prepare for that coming storm.

I do agree that the personal drama between the protagonist and his wife is long, drawn out. but Again I don't think its trying to be emotionally shocking so much as a parallel showcasing the transition from the golden age of flight leading to the darkest times. A sort of acceptance of reality (the reality that his wife is dying. the reality that his dream has lead him to the creation of war machines)

That said I am a fan of the golden age of flight, and this movie is absolutely fantastic in showing that off, as well as the other elements of early modern transportation. The scene where they tow the new prototype aircraft to the airstrip using oxen is great.

I stopped watching it after 30 minutes...it's my least favorite Ghibli film.

Maybe it gets good, who knows.

It was a big hit on Japan

Except that it was boring and abstract; therefore Lost audience respect from early on, it was good.

No character depth, basically no story, weak characters so when the disease got introduced there was no reason to care, obvious ending, etc. It's sad miyazaki thought he could still direct. It hurts to say but I'm glad he retired if this was the quality of film he thought was acceptable to put out.

The animation

I caught some rotoscoped scenes

absolutely nothing

Least imaginative Ghibli film. Miyazakis retirement wasnt the only factor that caused a pause in their productions. Their films lost their magical and wonderous feeling.

>for something to be imaginative you need muh magic and muh creatures
you're the problem

It tried to shove a fictional novel about a woman into of tuberculosis into a biography about a real-life person.

He killed millions.

Besides some really shoehorned parts like the Magic Mountain sequence it was superb.

Anyone complaining about good and evil or the fact that his inventions killed people and that's wrong has completely missed the point of the film and is part of the reason that a lot of anime is still so infantile.

Weird pacing at the end, classic Miyazaki writting.

Japan facist propaganda

It was good but I agree with in the wife dying topic.
I really didn't feel it enough as the movie expected me to. Still, it's a fine movie, I'd recommend it without a doubt.

This didnt appeal to the west because of the lack of autism. It was a big hit on Japan tho just like what Only Yesterday did on 1991

Seriously?

Yeah, this is a problem. If you want to create melodrama, go do that, but having to make the story super depressing when the guy didn't have these issues in the first place is strange.

didnt fascist japs hat it for saying that war is bad

He's making that up.

Damn, that actually sounded good.

Ruined by forced normalfag romanceshit.

Nolan didn't make it.

Who else here didn't care for this and Grave of the Fireflies? Something about WW2 and guilt trips I don't like too much.

How was The Wind Rises a guilt trip?

How was it not? It heavily implied Japan didn't deserve the treatment it received after starting a fucking brutal war.

How did it imply that? I never got that impression at all.

>What's the next step in your master plan
>crashing this plane... with no survivors.

Yeah, I don't get it, it made the characters sympathetic but you expect that kind of thing. They tried, and they were crushed utterly end of story.

"look at our poor military aeronautical engineer developing the next device to send our kids into the side of an aircraft carrier"

"oh no his love interest dies and now the tone is sad"

"he just likes planes and wants peace!"

that's what I got out of it.

If that is a batshit crazy analysis I'd still stand by it as I don't care to rewatch the movie any time soon.

Yeah, so? He did just want to make planes. It was the Japanese government that sent them out to fight.

I thought the movie was overall a good critique on all wars, as it shows beautiful things dying as a direct result of war.

No one in the reckidge.

2depressing4me

Just because the film is sympathetic to a fictionalised version of Horikoshi doesn't mean it's trying to guilt trip anyone regarding Japan's role in the war.

Ffs libfag just let the japs have their own viewpoints.

Nothing
It's just a good solid movie

Miyazaki didn't realize his Japanese history lessons in school were edited by the government.

>muh go back to Sup Forums

Let the japs express their perception. Freedom of expression is a thing you know

go senselessly call someone a libtard on your containment board

That fucking plane

>Freedom of expression is a thing you know
Do you contradict yourself often?

The entire second half, the characters and Anno's voice acting.

It's a fucking disaster. An irredeemable, incoherent clusterfuck. I couldn't believe this was Miyazaki's doing while watching it. Even Earthsea is better than this piece of shit. Not even baiting.
Luckily Ghibli closed doors on a high note with one last masterpiece that was Takahata's Kaguya.

It was not shit, thus failing to cater to Sup Forums's tastes

Jiro was originally supposed to die at the end (though not necessarily via suicide), but Miyazaki himself changed his mind. Anno had nothing to do with it

What went RIGHT?

Everything
Marnie is actually the best Ghibli movie.

Everything until the end, when it completely self-destructed by explaining the meaningless twist.

>That cringey af german song in the middle

It's fucking awful in BOTH Japanese and English, it's fucking terrible.

They should have gotten VAs who actually speak German if they wanted to add that shit in.