This fucked up brat has spawned an entire generation of pathetic beta male anime MCs. I hate him so much.

This fucked up brat has spawned an entire generation of pathetic beta male anime MCs. I hate him so much.

They existed before Eva though you casual.

>tumblr

I think its more along the line of only remembering Shinji's fuccboiness and not the other parts of his psyche.

Most of them were forgettable as fuck though.

He's just a kid.

If only Amuro were here.

That's not Amuro

You hate him because he is you.
You want to live vicariously through badass MCs.
What you got was Anno showing you your pathetic self.

Proof? You watch anime and whine about it.

What did he mean by this?

Kojima did it better with MGS2

This shitty self-insert character actually helped me realize that my life could be improved considerably if I were to communicate more and express my heart/intentions to others.

Shinji is how you do a realistic character. Compete him to the contrived likes of Subaru, which are nothing but cheap ways to emotionally pander to the audience.

Amuro is apparently just like Shinji. Ignore the retards.

Is Evangelion a direct copy of The Wall

Amuro would have hopped in the Eva without a second thought, and then proceeded to obliterate every angel single-handedly.

Eva has better music than The Wall so it's fine

i agree

Only after the second slap from Bright

No one cares about your shitty opinion.

Amuro would have left everyone to die when he got beat up at school.

It also gave us Rei and Rei-like characters, so it's green in my book.

You have to go back

what a funny:))

Correct. I feel like people who are annoyed at Shinji's pathetic qualities either haven't watched the series or have a deep misinterpretation of Shinji's character.

You mean with Badass "Raiden" McAwesome?

Yes

I still to this date have not finished this boring ass show

Just watch the movie. It looks better too. You would even avoid all autism regarding hair colors in the rips.

It's like 9 hours long. Sit down and finish it, you sperglord.

What's unrealistic is the people surrounding Shinji. They don't extend any real hand to help him despite it directly precluding his Eva use, making it literally of literally existential importance.

Yes, they all had their issues too, but it's absurd they couldn't set them aside long enough as adults to help Shinji set aside what he couldn't as a tween. His wallowing and existential crisis went on far longer than it needed to.

They should've just fed him a box set of Ace o Nerae or Ashita no Joe or Gunbuster since they wouldn't give him the fucking pep talk he needed.

Both of you need to lurk more before posting

Being mentally unstable does not preclude your Eva use, it actually makes it better in some cases and specifically in Shinji's.

I agree, I think its one of the more aggravating parts of the series how little people to actually try and help out Shinji beyond some minor pep talks or just forcing him to do something. That and how slow people's reaction speeds are, in that nobody seems to be able to warn them beyond a second before something happens.

but it also gave us Asuka, a crime I cannot forgive.

Actually, watching through rebuild this week, which depicts Gendo to be consciously manipulating Shinji toward having a breakdown, I was wondering if that was the case. Is it confirmed?

Another thing that always stick out is the completely limited advisement or training they give Shinji, waiting until after he's already fought like 2-3. Though most stressful is just how close they always come to losing, basically every single fight is right on the edge. It doesn't make sense with the rest of NERV's efficient authoritarian MO.

I don't think they're actual faults against the series, though. Nitpicking plot is pointless, suspension of disbelief isn't a massive burden.

>Actually, watching through rebuild this week, which depicts Gendo to be consciously manipulating Shinji toward having a breakdown, I was wondering if that was the case. Is it confirmed?
It's confirmed in the Rebuilds and I would argue it's heavily suggested in the original as well.

You forget that everyone in EVA has psychological issues on some level, they can't even deal with their own shit let alone Shinji's

I don't forget, I'm just saying it's unrealistic. You'd think one of the red shirts at NERV would've been able to make Shinji in rather than Misato at the very least.

Also, Kaji is the exception, he has his issues but controls them and actually provides a normal adult role model for Shinji. If he had come in at episode 1, we would've had 1/4 the moping

>shinji
>realistic
I'm laughing my ass way too off here. This is why even though I like Eva, I don't want to associate with Eva fans who worship it. Shinji's overwrought reactions are only realistic if your suspension of disbelief is strong enough to hold up the Golden Gate bridge. But perhaps realistic is wide-ranging and subjective enough that you'd be able to find someone in real life deep in some rural town that would behave like Rei, Asuka, Shinji or whatever anime character you care to name, so you might have a point in that sense.
I can't go into specific details because the memories elude me, but I've always been baffled by how dramatic Shinji is, and how one of the most equipped and well-funded organizations, crucial for humanity's survival, could not even handle pilot recruitment with tact. Do PR and human relations guys exist in that universe? Who would let the walking antisocial PR disaster that is Gendo subject the pilot to abuse? The viewers are unequivocally shown what a bastard Gendo is from the get-go, but while it works for a story, it is not realistic. He has no political or interpersonal skills to lead anything more than a schoolbus, but gets entrusted with humanity's survival (unless the world leaders really want everyone to die... oh wait they do so maybe that's the real reason). Even Donald Trump, who nobody would consider a master of tact or an attentive parent, can handle his own kids without inspiring open mutiny. And Shinji has to top off the drama equation by his own behaviours in case the viewers do not understand subtlety. I'd call it a good story with certain morals, but not a realistic one.

>All the MCs should be like Goku or Spike Spiegel.

Gendo has personal connections. That's why they let him head off the operation. You have to realize this whole mess is ridiculously insular. They can't let anyone in for fear that they'll let out what sort of operation they're running.

> Donald Trump, who nobody would consider a master of tact or an attentive parent, can
You're wrong on both counts. Pro-tip: a crass manner and tact aren't contradictory

Also what was the deal with the fucking penguin? It was in like two scenes in the anime.

Nobody had fought an Angel before, they didn't know what forms the Angels would take or when they would arrive, what Angels were and where they came from was the highest level of conspiracy and known to about 20 people, and they were guessing about how synchronization worked or felt and how to be better at it. They really were that unprepared.

Perhaps, but Misato is a trusted and high-ranking individual who seems to leave her issues at home, so on the surface she might appear a sensible choice to be his guardian. I agree with you on the Kaji point though.

>surprised when one of the only people still alive from the antarctic expedition is in charge of the Eva units
Destroying the world isn't really a job you can just advertise for, you need someone who's already in on it and is good at what they do.

Lol fag

Then perhaps you should consider dropping the shitty

Shinji joined at the 3rd or 4th angel - and I was saying just basic combat training and use of the Eva. They didn't even tell him until AFTER the first fight that the red core is the angel's weak point when they had ample time as he sat whining.

Then those leaders should make Gendo head of the Technical division and let politicians and PR guys handle the social front as leaders. Pilots would receive top personal care with personal therapists and nutritionists like real-life athletes. Humanity's survival should be important enough for the top politicians like an Obama equivalent among the Illuminati, I mean, Seele to take charge of.

They want the pilots as unstable as possible.

Also as soon as you add someone to an operation they're going to start asking questions about what exactly is going on when strange shit like Berserk start happening.

Its not even just on the angels, its on piloting the EVA as a whole. He can't even walk when they send him up.
Why is Rei, the ostensibly best qualified pilot, always stuck with the prototype that can't do half the shit of the others? Even after she is fully healed by the 2nd or 3rd ep? why do they get the most reliable pilot to use the least useful Eva while an emotional wreck and a childish bitch pilot the two useful ones?

Did you even watch the show?

Mothers

That's exclusive to Rebuild. TV or manga, that is more than Nerv knew about Angels until Shinji targeted Shamshel's core on his own and they recovered the body.

Debatable. At least Anno was original while Kojima lifted his shit from him. Hell even the endings of EoE and MGS2 have a similar vibe (what with the whole meta real life footage thing and the characters becoming avatars for the audience to drive home the message kind of thing).

This. I suffered from depression for about a year. Everything Shinji does and says feels so real. It reminds me of the things I thought and felt. If he was a different character I don't think I'd love the show as much

>Anno was original
Nigga, Evangelion is the most unoriginal Anime out there. All of it is ripped off from older Anime Anno liked as a kid, and he even admitted it.

all art is imitation tho

i would POUND Shinji from behind

Not if I have anything to say about it.

Shinji living on the Bebop. That would be interesting. Edward making him come out of his shell... I can only imagine.