Why is sword and shield so unpopular in anime?

Why is sword and shield so unpopular in anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably tough to make look cool and fast paced like most anime fight scenes are

They get in the way of all the tits.

You can always have a fast character attacking the one with the shield, and focus on how he blocks fast and counter attack too.

Because true samurai do not use shields.

>shield
>shield
histories greatest warriors, the ones that were truly solo dual wielded swords
some examples
>musashi
>sparticus

What do you want, firefights over half a kilometer where the fighters barely see each other?

Sword and shield were primarily a western thing, it shouldn't surprise you.

They put all the stats into attack.

Shields are for tanks

Japan and many parts of Asia never used or were fond of shields, even more with japan and their samurais. You will find shield users on more west related stuff than anime.

too much effort to draw and keep track of in continuity

Because dual wielding is a meme with a lot of "cool" factor despite how wildly impractical it is in real life.

It should be noted that the few people who did dual wield primarily used the second weapon in a similar way to a shield. That is to say, they used it as a defensive tool.

>Because dual wielding is a meme with a lot of "cool" factor despite how wildly impractical it is in real life.
Care to explain?

Think for a minute what a sword strike looks like. If you want to get as much power from a swing as you can, you have to put your back into it, in a twisting motion. You really can't strike with an offhand weapon at the same time without subtracting from the power of your mainhand weapon.

If you want to forego defense, you are much better off with a two handed weapon. Not only do you get more power from your swings, you get more reach as well.

Because shields don't help in sanic speed fights where both people are playing rocket tag.

>spending points in defense

But user, only barbarians would use large weapons like that because they're hard to carry and cost a lot, true samurai would only use a practical length sword.

Because you have to be fucking Musashi to pull it off.

Because nips were too dumb to invent shields

Well actually dual wielding wasn't that rare, it's just that it was extremely different to how it's represented in modern media.
See , I'll add that the second weapon would usually be quite different from the main weapon (cape, dagger, main gauche, etc), wich is obvious since they served a different purpose.

Even Miyamoto Musashi didn't dual wield katanas, he used a katana and a wakizashi.

Its not realistic either way. Nobody marched into battle with their swords drawn. Its the modern day equivalent of a pistol. A side arm. Thats why you wear it with the scabard. The same as modern soldiers dont march into battle with their pistols drawn. Its just unrealistic.

Hurr durr.

At least they tried

Did you just try to make an analogy about different eras and fuck it up by not pointing out how anachronistic marching is in a modern military?

Nobody fucking marches into battle because explosions and automatic weapons, armchair historian.

Also, these "armor sleeves" attached to their arms did a decent job of blocking katana strikes anyway.

Because they don't make sense in most settings, I guess.

Doesn't seem folded over 1000 times.

Naginata nigga.

>blocking katana strikes anyway.
>implying samurais were using katanas to battles
They were to protect against arrows

They're decently popular in background characters, the shield is not cool enough for the MC
Now dual wielding shields, that's something else

THE WALL

Why shields when you have plot armor.

Also, spears. Some samurai were known for their prowess with the yari.

>Dual wielding shields
The only one that comes to mind is the chink farm bot from Log Horizon.

Because anime MC are tryiing hard to achieve the coolness Musashi had and still fail against a real person, though.

She and cowabunga frog are OTP.

Sad thing is, fully geared paladin chicks are my favourite types. I wish there are more.

Is this Sengoku-era Getter or something?

>blocking motherfucking katanas
Yeah, right

What is it I hear?
Another chance to shill Druaga?

It's a oneshot by the author of Keyman about people using rifles in the Sengoku era.

>people using rifles in the Sengoku era
So, uh, normal Sengoku era?

Assistant loli was awesome.

Wait I'm retarded, you said not firearms but specifically rifles.

"Shields are for pussies" - Double Spear Knight

Is that some kind of arquebus in the lower right?

She most certainly was.

Because in JRPGs the defend option is useless and basically just skip turn.

I think it's something of the sort, yeah, a very literal boomstick.

Name me one hero of myth that isn't greek and used a shield

Beowulf

Shields are DISHONORABURU.

What the fuck are you talking about, shield bashes are extremely cool. Sword/shield fighting is more interesting than most people think.

Shields are mostly useless because any well-forged katana can cut right through them.

Some games do turn it to cover so the high def guy can pull his weight.

Roland ?
Everyone in Camelot ?
Beowulf ?
Siegfried ?
And probably most Irish heroes ?

Sword and shield fighting is gay as fuck, piss off nerd

Those don't count
Im still waiting

Why don't they count?

t. dualbabby

In the end, for the final blow, the main character doesn't dual-wield or use shields anyway, but uses both hands to grip his or her one weapon.
Because yes, a two-handed slash or strike is better than a one-handed one.
At least in terms of damage.

And it signifies that you put your all into it.

How do those not count? What the fuck?

Vlad Dracul III

You are right. They used Spear and shield. Except for Knights who used Lance and Shield. Almost everybody used shields to block missile attacks and try and stop spear thrusts. Swords only came out when a knight was dismounted or lance fell.

I dare you to finish ARF without defend and potion spam, the bosses in that game fucking hate you.

>Name me one hero of myth that isn't greek and used a shield
>Name a list of heroes that aren't greek and use a shield.
>They don't count.
Im sorry that you are wrong user. Actually, I'd rather know wich mythical heroes dual wielded something, because as far as I remember i can't see anyone doing it.
Heck even for historical figures there's just Musashi, anyone else that fought in wars would use either a good two handed weapon, or a shield/buckler+whatever combo.

>most setting are hight fantasy or just medieval

user please.

Because only mooks have shields
It's the job of the protag to cut through them like butter to show how cool he is

If you want shields, watch Gundam.

What's Link doing behind that shield?

Because it shits all over the Katana
Barring cases where the shield is made of paper and the Katana is made of PLOT

>Be an armored up squire ready to fight next to your brother in arms, and make a career out of the military for your kingdom.
>One of the realms finest female knights shows up in full armor and being hot as fuck. You want to impress her and win her heart.
>Get ready for the battle, shield strapped, sword ready, already in formation. Mages will provide artillery, but won't be in the front. Its all sword and sword combat today.
>The orders to charge is given.
>In the middle of the battle there is this faggot wearing stylish clothes walking into the battlefield, nothing else and a single weird ass blade.
>Orc Commander in full gear sees him, and decides to kill him first by charging at him.
>He takes out this weird blade that's like a stick.
>The blade cuts through the shield and he kills the Orc Commander in one hit even cutting through his armor.
>You, the Orcs, your brothers, and everybody just stare.
>Battle ends and the King shows up and says good work to you and everybody else.
>That armor less faggot gets promotion to a Lord Knight and a position in the military. King asks why he doesn't wear armor and the faggot responds "Muh family fights like men and honor in duels. Armor is slow and weak, this blade has been handed down for generations."
>When doing night patrol and walking through the camp you can hear the King's best knight get her pussy smashed by that faggot.

That's what you got for not being a pure knight.

>Get hammer
>Fight fag
>???
>Profit

Of course, that it take Mjolnir to have a semi-believable sword vs hammer moment in anime is annoying, but there ya go.

Why use a shield when you can just parry?

You forgot the
The next day, the faggot is found dead, poisoned and stabbed in the back.
part.

Not every single weapon is made of pure bullshitium.

>not drowned in the bottom of a lake in a full suit of armor
Step up, squire

>hero of myth
His reputation was blown out of proportion by stupid foreigners who bought into that vampire bullshit.
He was just a very bad ass dude who really really hated kebabs. He was also undeniably real and somewhat well documented

He still fucked the girl you wanted to waifu. How do you fix this problem?

>Look at how skilled I theoretically am guys!

She's impure now so more poison and more stabbing in the back, I guess?

Good luck parrying an arrow storm.

You're a fucking squire dude and she was the best night. That was never going to happen anyway.

bucklers were used to smash the shit out of your opponent's face all the time

use more bucklers

>Not getting good enough to marry her.
Servius Tullius was a slave before he won the heart of a Princess and became Rome's best king.

How about we poison and back stab our way to the crown?

>playing ds2
>banana had instant parry frames
>win 782 times and lose once to someguy who is lvl 838
he had a shield

Easy, just spin around with off-hand axe skill 5 or use reflecT with main-hand sword skill 3.

I thought that guy was easily the coolest thing about that shitshow of an anime because of the shield

Fiction isn't practical and it is rarely interesting outside of its fantastical elements.

Real life combat is infinitely more interesting than the shit you see in Lord of the Rings or Naruto or whatever.

If fantasy tried to emulate real life combat, everyone would be decked out in armor whenever they had the chance, would be wielding polearms with a bludgeoning tool as a sidearm and shields would be a requirement for most situations lest they get dozens of arrows lodged in their soon-to-be pincushion bodies.

Combat memes of fantasy
>dodging is effective, armor is for fags
>dual wielding
>swords for miles
>no shields unless you're a side character
>fuck helmets
>group of four or five is more effective than entire armies
>1v1 honor duels don't dare interfere
>siege and field artillery? what's that?
>dex > str
>cleaving dozens of men with a single sword swing
>deflect bullets
>katanas are good weapons

If you're that good you can just skip marrying her and marry someone better. Implying she was a virgin before that anyway.

Obligatory for people who think that sword and shield fighting is dumb/boring/not cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc

Coppelia dual-wielding shields is mandatory in every shield thread.

>shield thread
>no shieldbro
Shieldbro where you at senpai

he was retarded for immediately discounting his shield as an offensive weapon

also for spending more time with the dumb chocobo loli over the raccoon girl

>1v1 honor duels don't dare interfere
These were real though faggot.

Not in the context of beating the big bad or fighting in the middle of a war like you see in fiction. Besides, 1v1 duels were a relatively rare thing and most of the misinformation comes from victorian romanticism of medieval times. It was the 17th and 18th centuries were 1v1 fite me was mostly a thing. In medieval times, it was generally a thing that happened between members of the same court or within a tournament.