What the hell is wrong with him? Rem dies and he goes crying he doesn't want to die?

What the hell is wrong with him? Rem dies and he goes crying he doesn't want to die?

Why doesn't he just accept death so that he can save Rem? Wasn't that supposed to be his goal?

I don't wanna die! Except that time I did a sweet backflip off a cliff to restart. I wanted to die then.

He should just get some kind of enchanted amulet made in the city that will instakill him when it's crushed, or a poison borgia ring or something.

>inb4 no money
He can play the market, gamble horses or even just take out loans

>help...I don't wanna die!

the scariest part of death is the unknown after, but Subaru knows he's just going to get returned. Even if you say he's scared of the pain of dying that still doesn't explain his reluctance as he was mentally and physically ruined after Rem stopped existing yet continued on in pain.

Right. It's just pain. And how much pain and fear did Rem just go through?

whoa they died again

AOTY

yeah this made no sense to me. actually, it was pretty insulting. is he that dumb? sure, death is scary, hhe he should have known that he needed to die as soon as the whale attack ruined his plan, let alone when rem was sacrificed. you piece of shit, subaru. what happened to all that resolve? why did he regress in both will and strategy? godlike power to fix any problem and he STILL hasnt figured out how to use it. bad writing

Except he does have money. He has a whole bag of money that seems to be enough to hire an entire convoy of merchants.

reminder that subaru doesnt care about rem enough to use his powers

Except for that one time he jumped off a cliff.

you guys stfu with this. He doesn't know were he respawns for 100th time. Also death is scary he still feels and remembers getting killed. even knowing he can come back it's still scary. Also im guessing white whale takes memories of those it kills. Also remembers he doesn't know how many times he can or if it will work again too. He either can have infinite lives or hes on stock mode

He's a bitch. He also picked up some more information by living longer.

I really want to see the average Sup Forums-user go through what Subaru went through.

>17 year old japanese NEET goes through utter hell, torture and death.

He managed the cliff because 1) its instant, 2) was guilted Rem's death and Ram's anger.

He (and the author) has made it clear that he will never get used to the pain of dying.

This young fucking neet has been blown apart by magic, cultists, curses. His mind is a fray of being resolved or outright going insane/breaking down due to stress.

He just came into contact with a massive flying whale that ate people.

>Hurr durr why doesn't he abuse time loop
>If I was in his position I'd be perfectly logical and view this from a 3rd person perspective.

Fucking autists I swear.

>He managed the cliff because 1) its instant

Oh hell no that fall isn't instant.

The fall no, the 'death' (being killed on impact) is.Less pain than all the other ways he has died slowly.

The fall is absolutely terrifying. With the whale if he lets it skewer his head it 'd be quick and painless.

It's okay if you're a self-serving coward senpai. You can believe everyone else is all you want.

That is one of the points of the show: Death HURTS, so much that you would never prefer it to any other alternative.
Faced with our own mortality we will always shrug away even if we thought we will be back just the idea of death will cause us to cower in feat.
And you might say that had you been in his stead you will choose death because it is efficient, but that is just an if ,more so it is an if that you can't claim to understand because you never have expirienced death so you have no right to claim knowing what it's like.
I, for one thought that scene was very well done, very appropriot and very necessary to convey what Subaru has been throught

The fall probably fucked him up a great deal, death wasn't instant and it'd be scary as fuck.
He hasn't dealt with any of the trauma from dying, being tortured or seeing his friends maimed either. That's ptsd as fuck.

I still resent that he didn't reset to save rem though, I'm glad emelia wins because rem is too good for him.

>It's okay if you're a self-serving coward senpai.
Isn't that what Subaru (teenage NEET) basically is?

I'm amazed he even has such resolve at times compared to the average NEET fucker.

This - anyone who has actually been stabbed (or anyone that KNOWS someone that has been stabbed) can attest to how fucking painful a simple stabbing can be (depending on the knife).

Subaru has had way worse than that.

Because he's a little bitch. As much as people like to suck this series dick, it's already burned itself out. After seeing all these characters die over and over, it's just boring now.

He's less pathetic than I think most of you are. Which is really fucking sad.

If you haven't figured it out already, Subaru doesn't want to use Return by Death as a crutch unless things are supremely fucked like when he jumped off the cliff or when Emilia died.
Also he didn't want to waste the life that Rem sacrificed herself for.

The argument "he doesn't know where is checkpoint is" would be a good one if he constantly changed checkpoints after every death, but this is not the case and so the argument is weak. For the past several deaths Subaru has spawned at the same spot, as far as he knows that's his checkpoint.

Death is scary, to us, because we don't know what will happen after we die. Subaru has been caught in death loops for a while now and has no reason to believe they will stop anytime soon so the fear of the unknown is greatly diminished. The pain of dying is also a big fear of regular people and I agree that is a legit concern for Subaru, however, he has already shown that when necessary he is willing to accept a possibly painful death in order to timeloop back for a second chance. Subaru is also often injured very badly, but instead of wishing for a quick death to activate his timeloop he instead clings desperately to a doomed life. There are people in the real world who live a life of pain and are fighting governments to allow them to die even though they don't know what will happen in the afterlife.

Hes a young teenager whos probably too much in pain at the moment to think rationally.

You could view it as the checkpoint argument - or you could view it as not wasting the life Rem gave him so that he can try reach Emilia and learn about how to reach her/the manor before resetting again.

>He managed the cliff because 1) its instant

There is no guarantee diving off a cliff will kill you instantly. Humans have survived really crazy shit. Its more reasonable to assume he would survive the fall, but be fatally injured, and he would have to lay there, in pain, until his body finally died.

What gets me, though, is that he's been a belligerent git for the past like, five to six days his time.

I had my head on the desk when he went into Emilia's room and instead of telling her what's up like he was going to do in the first place, he just loses it and starts rambling about how he needs to listen to her.

It's the same thing when he was bouncing from candidate to candidate making a fool of himself. It's like in all this time he never stops to think about what he's doing or do any kind of retrospection or planning of any kind. I could understand it for an episode or two but it just keeps happening. I was excited about the new OP and such because I thought 'oh good he's finally getting his act together and learning from the shit that's happened to him' but he just keeps making the same mistakes and it's tiring to watch.

But everyone hated him then, it wasn't just because of her death. He wanted to fix the entire situation.

Others will argue with you that "this isn't some shonen anime where he always learns what he needs to in order to beat the next boss," but that's an argument that suggests I want Subaru to succeed. I just want Subaru to learn from his failures and try something different. He doesn't need to succeed, he can continue to fail for the rest of the show as far as I'm concerned, but he needs to fail in new and different ways. I feel like I've been watching the same thing for the past ten episodes, only the background has changed.

But isn't anywhere better than where he is now? Even if he went back only 10 seconds at least he would know he was stuck and could devise a strategy from there. Absolutely no reason not to try it.

Bad writing. Barusu is archbishop of bad writing.

>Hurr durr why doesn't he abuse time loop

Because that's the most obvious thing you would do in his situation unless, like him, you are fucking autistic. Any sane person who discovers dying reverts them back to a certain point in time would make sure that they can control how and when they die in order to benefit from it. He could literally go to an apothecary and buy a vial of poison to wear around his neck so that when he is faced with inevitable death he can instantly kill himself, rather than all the ways he has died so far which are due to him just going back to square one and doing the same basic shit over and over again like a retard.

The thing is, we don’t know that. Never was there any indication that Subaru has unlimited tries within one checkpoint until he succeeds. He has to treat every life of his as it was his last one. In episode 7 he actually said so himself and this was the reason why he initially didn’t kill himself. Another part is your natural instinct as a human. No one wants to be killed or even eaten by a bigger creature, that’s how nature works.

>He also picked up some more information by living longer.
It wouldn't be funny if he autosaves after important characters died though.

It's good writing. Don't question it.

Emilia has always been his goal.

What's a "Rem?"

>Never was there any indication that Subaru has unlimited tries within one checkpoint until he succeeds.
It's never stated otherwise either, only suggested during one of his musings. Recently however, he has been dying a lot and continues to return to the same place which only further supports the notion that he does have a lot of respawns. If there was some version of a ticking clock that Subaru noticed that convinced him that his respawns were limited I would embrace that, but so far we have seen nothing of the sort. The audience has been given pretty much the same information Subaru has regarding is timeloop curse and we are pretty split as to whether is respawns are limited or not; I would at least like to see Subaru consider that argument himself.

His auto saves seem very obviously objective-based, even form his own perspective.
He's supposed to do things and get past certain things - he just doesn't know what those things he's supposed to do actually are.

Maybe it's Otto pushing him off the carriage, he seemed pretty gutsy until the fall broke his face, legs, arms and back. Even when he woke up it took the last bit of his sanity not to run away.

Because his personality is slowly derivating every time he dies and can't think or act in a reasonable and clear way.

If you did not understand that every death affects his mental state and the influence of the Witch on him by now you are quite retarded.
If you still don't understand try to watch the episodes 5-15 in a row, you'll see the slow drift in personality at each death, going from actually likeable ans smart to total dumb fucktard, there's even a few times where what i'm saying is clearly explicited, like when he goes full selfish asshole with Emilia or when Beatrice says that the stink of the witch is growing more and more strong over time.

As a result, due to obscure mental forces slowly but surely impacting his mind, there's no point saying "he should have..." "why doens't he..." or that kind of shit.

yeah so what if he accidentally clears a threshhold and fucks it up? nevermind though, clearly subaru isnt written as a person with normal iq.

He's a puppet no matter what he does. There's no world where he actually wins.

there is no indication the return by death is weakening. opposite actually, it only seems to get stronger. some of you on Sup Forums might sympathize with subaru being dumb and weak when he has a strong method, but i don't. maybe the writers are catering to how gutless you guys are.

He could become aware of that and then attempt to uncover the puppetmaster while trying not to fuck up more than he is. Instead we just get suffering.

The puppetmaster wants him to find her. And he will. There is no winning dude.

For real. Most of these tards would lose all sense of rationality when talking to the opposite gender alone. Hurr durr just kill yourself.

Goddam, dying isn't easy. Even if it's the logical thing to do, your body won't let you. Subaru knew he was fucked when he was thrown off the cart and cornered by the whale, but he ran, cried, and begged to live anyway. All of you go and TRY to kill yourselves. You literally won't be able to do it. The need to live will outweigh all thought.

If it really was that easy most of you faggots would've offed yourselves already.

If everyone knows about the whale why doesn't pic related kill it? Shit is obviously a major problem

subaru is dumb and disturbed. its consistent that he didnt do the right thing

Holy fuck, did you even watch the episode? The whale killed the first master swordsman, ie a guy strong as Reinhard.

>hur dur you wouldn't last as long as Subaru

Yeah yeah because everyone gives 2 fucks about Emilia

This is my new favourite anime, there for it is the best anime ever.

This episode was perfect, and so were a handful before it, truly an excellent show.

you're projecting user. not everyone is as weak-willed as you.

She can't even handle a few cultists. She doesn't deserve to be king.

Anyone who's expecting Subaru to kill himself when things go wrong is literally autistic.

Literally no empathy/understanding of how human beings function. No wonder you're on Sup Forums.

>how do I read subtitles

You're on Sup Forums too lad, but yeah i agree with your post.

Because the previous sword saint got his shit wrecked. I don't know how everyone knows this since it's already been shown that those eaten by the whale are erased from existence. Maybe that's a bit of clever foreshadowing or just a plot hole.

Yeah bro, because we all know most people that go on Sup Forums are strong willed right

If Subaru got eaten by the whale can he still resurrect? He won't exist anymore right?

I would assume he would resurrect but no one would remember him and he wouldn't remember himself

Don't worry they'll come up with some retarded scenario saying you wouldn't live if you didn't lust for Emilia like subaru did.

Dumb subarufags

Another retard severely overestimating himself.
If someone you loved died right in front of you, you would break down. Even if you knew that they were coming back, the emotional response would overwhelm you.

Arrogant fucks who for some reason think they're hot shit while they live lives that amount to nothing.

>i don't know how to fucking read subtitles

Alright, go prove your resolve and kill yourself.

Why can't we see that story? I feel like this show has been treading water for a while now. I see better progression from a SoL show.

We're seeing the story now. It's only a happy story for one party.

Subaru is not an anime protagonist. He is an actual NEET. He doesn't behave like you would expect an anime MC to act.

If any of us were in that situation we'd be just as terrified.

>dude you can just die and then go reset everything!

you can say this because you are safe at home and not being chased by a monster whose breath literally erases people from existence. you're not afraid, so you can't understand a fearful perspective.

Fear is the mindkiller. in realistic situations you aren't likely to find anyone who is both terrified and rational at once. the human brain don't work that way, son.

human instinct is to run away from death and failure. subaru is riding on instinct most of the time, he's not a rational guy. he was in the first few loops, but in case it's not obvious he is starting to lose his fucking marbles. and goes on at length about how dying is THE WORST feeling for him, and how he needs to value his life.

>die in multiple loops trying to reach emilia in time
>finally made it but Rem died during it
>instead of not wasting her death and using the opportunity to warn emilia and everyone else the very reason why he he came here to warn them about witch cult
>he goes and tries assaulting Emila and man handling her without simply explaining the explanation
>then gets his beloved emila killed due to his actions

How does one be so stupid?

wasn't the sword saint that went out to kill the whale Reinahrd's grandmother? And I think she lost her blessing to Reinhard before she went out, so Reinhard should be stronger now

>If any of us were in that situation we'd be just as terrified.

No we wouldn't. We'd ditch that skank Emilia.

>i've never been in love: the argument

Isn't that exactly what he does later on, though?

None of us would fall for her. His obsession for Emilia is one of the biggest indicators of his retardation.

>being in love with some chick you saw for 5 minutes and willing to die for her

Hahahaha

Subaru is incredibly immature and egotistical and only acts for himself. When he jumped off that cliff, he did it because everybody hated him, barring maybe Beatrice. He was a loner for the longest time and wants to be loved. While he does have some moments of kindness and altruism, they're mostly for his own benefit, he wants to satisfy his ego even if he doesn't realize it consciously. Even when he has the breakdown in front of Emilia, and shows some insight into his own flaws, he just sobs and pities himself. He thinks kindness and self-sacrifice will lead to people appreciating him and doesn't realize that he tends to make matters worse by not having his shit together. That would also explain his infatuation with Emilia, who went out of her way to help him and treats him kindly. The cliff scene made sense precisely because of that. In the end, being hated by everybody in the mansion, and having estranged Emilia, was a fate he probably considered more painful than death. And it still wasn't an easy decision for him.

more projection. keep revealing how pathetic you are. this show was made for you

>im a weak failure so you must be too

Even Romeo and Juliet would laugh at Subaru.

>he thinks love obeys logic or reason

you're the retards, i'm sorry.

>wanting to live despite hardship in an effort to save another is evidence of being weak

Anyone who doesn't get this is seriously missing out.

Subaru's a dumbass, sure, but if you overlook him for a bit, you'll see that the other character's actions are really well thought out. This is honestly quality writing and has an amazing setup, but so many people aren't able to appreciate it because of various forms of dumbassery.

Hey, you asked what we'd do if we were in his situation. None of us would fall for her, no matter how much you argue love is illogical.

if you are revived after death, and even better, everything is reset after your death, then yeah its weakness

He's died for her multiple times.

At first it may have only been something along the lines of a crush, but at this point he can't help putting her on a pedestal and treating her as priceless.

The fact that he's blowing off Rem's affection proves this even further. If the original Subaru were to encounter a cutie that felt that way for him, he'd be all over it. But his multiple death imposed feelings for Emilia totally outweigh that.

You must be the Anime Board Ambassador who speaks on behalf of all people here then, I presume?

It's good to finally meet you, now I can get absolute responses with no dissenting opinions. Finally.

>not reading the "what if" alternate story to understand that Suburu actually becomes weaker when he abuses RbD
stay mad autist

What really pissed me off about the story progression in this show was after the whole village incident Subaru never once seemed to be interested in his curse or even question his purpose in the world. The most life altering event in his entire life that has already caused him a bunch of suffering and he just ignores it to go play with some girl he just met.

Wow, it's almost like he's barely more than a little kid and has yet to grasp the situation due to this!

Oh yes, it's a lot more reasonable to say everyone on this board would be willing to die for her five minutes after meeting her for the first time.

if video game rules applied you better fucking believe i would abuse the reset mechanic to get with a crush

thing is im not retarded and would find a painless and reliable way to do it, after being provided the same evidence that subaru has that the reset itself reliable

>it's reasonable to say people on Sup Forums wouldn't kill themselves for their waifu
user...

Look I'm saying at the beginning when he hardly knew emila he had some huge crush and then kept dying to save her.

He didn't decide to actually do shit and die for her until like his 2nd/3rd res when he realized he could actually change shit.

>if I was in Suburu's situation everything would be different!
but then you wouldn't be in Suburu's position, you'd be in a different position
being in his position means loving Emilia you fucking retards

dude why are you taking it so fuckin seriously. it's a cartoon. why are you pretending like "love at first sight" is a concept that has never fucking existed prior to this

user, the entire point of what's happening right now, is that Subaru is weak willed and a coward, that's it.

He's not supposed to reflect how everyone would react to what's happening, because nobody is like everyone else. I can't say i'd fare better, but i certainly would be acting exactly like him.

Selective memory
Don't question it -- it makes him a flawed hero
Stop asking questions

Most people take longer than five minutes to pick their waifu.

Complete bullshit
You do not pick your waifu
She finds you and it's instant
Fuck off my board newfag

>user, the entire point of what's happening right now, is that Subaru is weak willed and a coward, that's it.
And we understood how pathetic he was pretty early on. Why is the story lingering on this point? Just move on already.

>love at first sight

Because it means the love is shallow. I honestly don't really care about his success because his objective, Emilia, is simply not compelling.