It's time to stop

I realized just now that most of you have shit taste. Not just in the individual anime you like, but on a fundamental level. You completely miss the point of animation and want it to be something it's not. Anime is, first and foremost, about the animation and how good it looks, and how creatively it's used. A really detailed plot is all nice and well, but if it has poor animation it might as well just be put in a manga or novel. A series with a simple, silly, stupid, or "fun" plot, but good animation used creatively, and good visuals, is a better anime than a series with a good plot, but shitty animation. This doesn't mean an anime with a good plot and poor animation can't be good, but an anime with good animation, style, visuals, and creative use, it's always fundamentally a better anime.

Anime is by NATURE a medium that is style over substance.

Now, many of you enjoy substance over style better, and thus your favorite kind of anime reflects that. it's not that those are not good works in themselves, but rather that they are not the best representation of what anime as a medium is. They may be very good, but they do not represent what anime should ideally be, instead only a certain niche of anime that succeeds as a story but fails as an animation.

By it's very nature anime is style first, and a series which gives style a backseat is not good as an anime.

Many of you will not like reading this. It's that you have shit taste for liking the anime that you like, nor that they are bad works in their own right, but rather that if the reason you dislike an anime is because it puts style and animation over substance, you have shit taste in anime and it isn't the medium for you. Manga is more suited to your preferences.

It's not that either medium is superior, but that they have different qualities which a series or work should be judged by.

what did he mean by this?

But what about sound direction?

What's your favourite anime, OP? Hyouka? Bakemonogatari?

Evangelion

Nice pasta

>new IP

>A really detailed plot is all nice and well, but if it has poor animation it might as well just be put in a manga or novel.
I didn't read the rest but I already disagree

Ashita no Joe is mostly poorly animated but it justifies being an anime through its use of timing, color and sound. Things the manga can't do.

I used to think like you but now I don't, if you made this thread in 2007 or something I would have said "YES THIS".
Do you think Eva is bad outside of the animation money shot scenes then? It's not, because the visuals are still well executed even when there's little to no motion.

The scene where Shinji squishes Kaworu would've been awful in manga, they would've have had to just copypaste the panel a million times and it would've not had the same effect at all.

My favorite works are those which present substance through style. In which both of those components are in harmony. Anime are not just painting, they aren't just animated pieces, they are animated stories.

That taken I love watching animation in which the visuals are the sole focus, something like shorts by Mirai Mizue.

I dont watch things that i think look bad so I can understand your point, but boy, you make it sound like total pretentious faggot.

For the record episode 73 of S1 is actually pretty well animated but my point is that even when it's not (the majority of the time) it's still taking advantage of the medium

>Anime are not just painting, they aren't just animated pieces, they are animated stories.
I disagree, I think the animated equivalent of a painting can be good

I forgot what that short with the running girl that wants to give a letter to her crush is called but it's a good example

It can be good but it's still not putting all of its aspects to use. Anime is both a visual and a narrative medium.
A work that's great in both style, substance and how it expresses one through the other.

That's a lot of text that doesn't really amount to much.

Fuck of weeb Sup Forums is a place for intelligent discussion and debate not dumb memes and autistic weebs anime is for fags stop shitting up my board

Sup Forums fucking ruined this site

Check'em

Nice pasta, but it was shit the first time and it's shit now. sage

hey, they turned my post into a pasta. Didn't think anyone would save it. I made it at like 4am one day when I was mad at Sup Forums.

Thanks dude, pic related was my original image dess.

I want you to know that you're still a retarded piece of shit just like you were last month.

I am diagnosed autism, so you're not wrong.

Wtf I hate anime now

>you have shit taste
>you don't have shit taste

>A series with a simple, silly, stupid, or "fun" plot, but good animation used creatively, and good visuals, is a better anime than a series with a good plot, but shitty animation
Well I definitely don't agree with that. What about the characters? That's an important factor too

Really makes you think

I already disagreed with the OP about "animation" & said I think stuff like Ashita no Joe is good despite usually having extremely limited animation, but let's assume by "animation" he just meant all the visuals:

Yeah, it doesn't mean it's bad... but why bother when you can read a good book? With a book you can just use your imagination, but with anime thoughtless shitty visuals can take you out of the experience and make the narrative worse. Even something more writing-based like Legend of the Galactic Heroes needs competence. If it looked like Musashi Gundoh or the QUALITY van scene or some shit it would be impossible to take seriously.

>Anime is by NATURE a medium that is style over substance.
Then anime is of no substantial value.

At the same time, animation can be used to tell stories that can't be told in live action or in paper, good animation is something that i really like, some of my favorites shows are among my favorites not just because of the story and characters, also because of the animation and direction (example, The Tatami Galaxy or Space Dandy) but in my opinion there are two main reasons some stories become anime, one, as i said, because they can't be told in another medium and two, because they use the popularity of anime.
For example, who the hell would watch Welcome to the NHK or, i don't know, Clannad if it they were Japanese live action series?