How common is it for manga devs to accidentally create a character that's wildly more popular than they expected?

How common is it for manga devs to accidentally create a character that's wildly more popular than they expected?

Other urls found in this thread:

s1.tsuki-board.net/image/hIE1444358940.jpeg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pretty common, especially now that anime is being shared globally. Some characters are way cooler when viewed through a different cultural context.

>devs

Anyway probably not that much very not common maybe

minor characters becoming very popular is a rather common thing in everything

just look at tr-8r, a jobber with no fucking name even.

It only really happens when the devs luck out and pick a good voice actor for them, otherwise it's not too common.

Oppai loli

>devs

Happens in every media. Hell, 2 non-Sup Forums characters I can think of are Rorschach and that one security guy from Babylon 5.

She'll never be my friend.

Ever

Garibaldi?

>Rorschach
What? The guy was the fucking main character in a Hollywood movie.

>manga devs
>manga
>devs

What kind of a question is that

No the scrawny guy with the weird sounding voice. Garibaldi was a main character from the get-go.

B5 spoiler: Fuck, now I just remembered Garibaldi starting to drink again. Fuck. I didn't need this.

Zack Allan If I recall correctly.

Happens frequently, especially when the author writes the intended protagonist to be completely milquetoast.

>Hiei over Yusuke
>Killua over Gon
>Sasuke over Naruto
>Marika over Chitoge (basically Y-San, but you get the point)

>Author makes safe as fuck design for main girl
>"gimmick" girls get astronomically better fan reception

Ayyy

>jobber

He clearly won that fight after willingly handicapping himself you fucking traitor.

>manga devs
Sasunga Sup Forums

Ya that's the guy.

The original work is a comic or "graphic novel", aka manga. The author didn't think anyone would like Rorschach since he's basically an insane, violent, dangerous sociopath who views the world in white and black.

>sasunga
As expected of neo-Sup Forums.

that's a recipe for success.

BAZPINGO

Rorschach at least pretended to stand for something. The other characters didn't. Moore was just butthurt.

>manga devs

But uraraka's my favourite

He literally believes in magic moore can go fuck himself

Who's your favorite manga dev, Sup Forums? Mine would have to be Clamp.

The guy that replaced Garibaldi right? He was popular? He was cool and all but there wasn't anything special about him.

fuck you

>manga devs
It's called author ya dumb Sup Forums frogposter.

>author
What if they don't write wouldn't they be artist?

>manga devs
Sasunga

Mangaka you shitty pleb.

This thread is going full retard.

Not a loli. Aside from being short, her body is anything but loli. This meme needs to stop.

What's your favorite type of girl? I like tundras.

>sasunga

Ya he wasn't to be a regular but people really liked him so the guy who made the show said fuck it and greatly expended his rule.

Who cares, that show sucked and that goddess was dumber than Aqua.

>insane, violent, dangerous sociopath who views the world in white and black.
only normies wouldn't like that

>sasunga

BULGARIA

>dumber than Aqua

If you really believe that then the only thing dumber than Aqua is (You).

No, Rorschach fully believed in what he stood for, but what he stood for was incompatible with the real world.

Ozzy also stood for something he believed in. So did the Comedian. Dan and Laurie were the normal human inserts, who were masked vigilantes for less idealistic, more self-centered reasons.

I'm not sure, the characters seem more nihilistic. Rorschach chose his own truth but it was flimsy and contradictory in the end.

>Moore was just butthurt.
This statement could be applied to anything Moore does and be apt.

None of those are as minor as Froppy though.

>devs
They're called authors you retard. Also her voice in the anime sucks donkeyballs.

>devs

Found my new bait. Thanks OP

>devs
>sasunga
>Sup Forums
did the mods died

Is it worse than her voice in the manga?

Froppy is a secondary character.

she doesnt get as much plot time/attention as sasuke or killua though

Too common. Example: Gin Ichimaru was intended to be a creepy, evil, monstrous guy with a cruelty streak and the design of a fox and a snake stuck together; yet, women *love* him, and he's got a pretty sizeable male fanbase as well. Kubo was baffled as to why Gin became popular, even claiming that the character was designed to be off-putting.

>manga devs
Holy shit, kill yourself.

how do I become an anime beta tester?

You're already beta, so you've got the first part down.

>devs
your Sup Forums is showing

That's not a tundra, that's a thunder.

>s1.tsuki-board.net/image/hIE1444358940.jpeg

It's because he is interesting, people want to know what drove this mysterious psycho.
Also it helped that the other characters are pretty boring, and childish, Gin was an alpha male, one of the best.

Sup Forums isn't as bad as Sup Forums guise

>devs
bhaka

DAHAKA

I hope that happens when I release my own manga

None of the Class A characters get that kind of attention. Tsuyu though gets the most cover pages, and her own mini chapter. Far more than Sakura or Suacegay got within the first 100 chapters.

Anal Queen is better.

She'll never be a memed as Froppy though. She is wallpaper.

She's not wallpaper per se, she's the poster on your ceiling. Froppy is the plushy you hold when you've got it out of your system.

Why not both?

I.. I was not ready for this, user

you're absolutely right

momo

More like moomoo.

>normies
Kill yourself.

Why does she seem agitated? Doesn't she need excess fat to use her ability?

What if she needs to overuse her ability in a future chapter and becomes DFC?

BEZINKY

big fat cartoon mammary glands

>this thread

IRC squad at work again.

>Has no pattern

What stupid drivel is this from? Because gravity and conservation of angular momentum creates a lot of natural patterns.

I remember back then when irc was the Sup Forums boogey man. Good times, good times.

>Tsuyu

She's on popular with memer faggots on Sup Forums and Google+

Nobody else gives a fuck about her

KEK

Okay memester.

>KEK

>Okay memester

>I have to defend my fictional waifu from the truth

Rorschach was also the central character of the story more so than the rest. So while the amount of people agreeing with his philosophy was not the author's intent, I can't say it really lines up with the specific subject matter here, as I'm sure it's meant to be referring to more minor characters.

>Gin Ichimaru
There's no way such an obvious evil looking character could be actually evil!

> Frog girl takes frog posting forum by storm
Sounds about right.

>Punk rock DFC

What's Frogposting and where can I stream it?

That last chapter was glorious

Umf.. THIIIIIIICC

He actually wasn't evil. was a ruse to win the trust and get closer to the big bad.

Anal is for scat fetishists.

BARZOOPLE

She is canonically chub

Pepe/Froppy OTP!

>tfw someone had the same idea as you

the ending to this show fucking sucked but hestia a bestia

Sokka from the original Avatar is another example. He got so popular that he ended up being core cast, partially cuz the VA ended up giving him so much personality, and fans fuckin loved him