Sword Art Online started out with an interesting premise

>Sword Art Online started out with an interesting premise
>The Aincrad arc was solid
>Its only disappointments were a lack of characterization, harem bullshit for a protagonist who's clearly in an established relationship and a somewhat disappointing ending
>SAO didn't become shit until the Alfheim arc, and even that was at least entertaining
>Accel World is a direct upgrade over Sword Art Online, fixing all of its issues except harem bullshit
>Sup Forums has no real grievances with either SAO or Accel World and dislikes them purely because they were popular while their favorite anime doesn't even get a second season

Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9NlThB3SY
youtube.com/watch?v=V6kJKxvbgZ0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

edgy protag with zero character traits does stuff with a sword while getting every bitch in sight.
>solid

We've done this before. SAO was the first to hit a new market by storm. It doesn't make it totally amazing.

SAO is fine, the game's canon is better though.

>All 100 floors
>Alfheim villain is in Aincrad and there's no attempted rape scene
>Philia's story is actually enjoyable
>Sinon and Leafa are in Aincrad too

Can we get SAO banned here?

Don't you have an MLP episode to analysed, Digibro?

Now that is something I legitimately did not expect. Has it become so bad people talk about some youtube retard here? Just further proof how shit these threads are.

It's a show about teenagers fighting in a game targeted for 12 year old boys. Why the hell were you guys expecting a masterpiece out of this?

>Accel World is a direct upgrade over Sword Art Online

no

Accel world is slightly less offensive writing wise, but manages to be more annoying/boring in return.

SAO is a fantastic anime.
But you need advanced skill in ignoring.
If you ignore all the pointless deathgame and drama bullshit it's a solid fantasy video game SoL.

>Sword Art Online started out with an interesting premise
no it didn't it kill yourself

It's the SoL and harem content in the middle that made the deathgame and drama feel like bullshit. If the show decided to prioritize an actual narrative over pandering, escapism, fanservice trash then it would be better. But it didn't.

>dislikes them purely because they were popular

You are not wrong

the drama ruins the harem antics and the SoL, not the other waz around

Sword Art Online's 1st season was ok, had some good fights and cute moments but It was hardly "good". Everything beyond it is utter tripe.

>Accel World
>Direct upgrade
>Fixes all issues except harem bullshit
>baby face MC for self insert fatties

I think you have this wrong OP, both are fucking shit.

It was good until episode 4. It went to shit after fag MC interacted with Asuna. Fucking horny otaku ruining a good premise.

>pandering, escapism, fanservice trash
This describes pretty much nearly every single anime that's out.

>go to buy furniture
>get recruited to build a siege engine
wew

Uh. He interacted with Asuna in episode 2. Episode 4 is (IIRC) Liz's episode and well into harem-building nonsense. That said, she met him and decided that she was in love with him in the span of one episode, so yeah, fuck that.

True. But it's also a matter of prioritization. Does an anime prioritize its narrative or themes or does it prioritize pandering?

Think I'll just post this whenever this thread comes up
youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9NlThB3SY

Solid point, but Yui doesn't show up after that in the Aincrad arc. There is still some tension left in that it's not certain if and how Yui will survive after SAO ends. Alfheim eliminates that tiny little sliver of tension that remains by making Yui compatible with FUCKING EVERYTHING.

So while it's a good point, it doesn't automatically make Aincrad shit as a stand-alone arc.

>Its only disappointments were a lack of characterization, harem bullshit for a protagonist who's clearly in an established relationship and a somewhat disappointing ending
I feel like that would prevent it from being called solid

Also, AW doesn't have a second season, though I would like one and wasn't nearly as popular as SAO

>Aincrad
Good, for what it was at least.
>Alfheim
Terrible. Basically the first season but with the good shit removed and the bad shit amplified
>GGO
I liked the setting and Sinon. The story was bad and it's just as pointless as Alfheim, though.

SAO should've ended when ended. Also I can't get behind Accel World with that awful MC.

SAO should've ended when SAO ended.*

The entirety of SAO was stupid fun for me. Its like a seasonal battle harem but with good direction and animation.
Mother's Rosario was legitimately decent though.

>If you ignore all these issues

>Mother's Rosario was legitimately decent though.
If you pretend that the DRAMA doesn't exist, yes.

I dunno about you but SAO was actually very enjoyable. In a virtual reality game would you not try to get a harem and be an edgy retard? If I was 15 I would and I know you would to. You could watch this show and be over analytical of it but you have to put yourself in the target audience of the people it's meant for, 15 year olds and NEETs. I thought every part was great, including the fairy arc and to be honest people treat it unfairly which seems disappointing for the anime community. SAO 2 was even better because guns are even cooler and more edgier. Just turn off your brains and have fun

I don't think the drama was that bad, especially compared to GGO and Sugu's lust for her Onii-chan. The ending where everyone in Alfheim deciding to come say goodbye to Aids-chan when she dies was pretty stupid though and ruined the emotional moment.

Second season had great character design and was just fun to watch.

The strangest thing about SAO to me is that if you go to a convention (inb4 normie) there are tons of girls cosplaying SAO. Sinon was an incredibly popular choice for a while, and she's well into the trash territory.

I thought SAO was only aimed at neckbeards who want to duel wield katanas in a trenchcoat, but could it actually secretly be aimed at hamplanets who want to orbit that???

Did you want a beta faggot MC who gets dominated and fucked in the ass by the female characters?

I guess you could see Asuna as a female self-insert of some kind. I heard some girls love it when other girls want their guy.

On a similiar note, I used to know someone who browsed tumblr and got angry about not enough women in comics and shit, and he called Asuna "an awesome female character".

Her personality is being a wife that cooks good for the MC and then needs rescuing....

My friends gf said how loads of her friends love SAO. Maybe they all want to be locked up in a cage.

At least it would've been a shitty anime that I could fap to instead of just get bored by it.

Honest question; why do so many people hate Accel World's MC? Is it people who have, or have not seen the series?

I can understand being a bit put off by the idea but he's pretty well written and interesting to me. He has an excuse for being beta.

>>The Aincrad arc was solid

>Her personality is being a wife that cooks good for the MC and then needs rescuing....
That was later. But the first arc and mother rosario show her as capable, driven, a good fighter and with actually some personality.
Her relationship with Kirito in the first arc was very appealing too as a romance. That kind of thing is what girls fantasize about.

Put it off because he was a fat beta, though now I do like the idea of how he's actually a reflection of how he sees himself. I'm sick of video game VR shit though, so I doubt I'll ever watch it.

It's very good, it's not like SAO where they're trapped, they just hop in to fight.

I'll give you good fighter, but about all I remember of her personality is "good at cooking" "likes Kirito" "is nice". She doesn't really have a goal of her own besides the shared "complete the game" . I just don't find her all that interesting myself, though I'll admit that a real romance is a nice touch, even if it's been terribly handled.

I wish AW got the real romance and SAO just admitted it wanted to be haremshit.

>her personality is "good at cooking" "likes Kirito" "is nice"
Those traits were developed later though. Unlike the rest of the girls in the show, the relationship gradually evolved into what it is today. She didn't start with "Likes Kirito", she was mostly indifferent, joins the biggest guild later on, was a bit of a tsundere and a loner at the beginning.

Well, the "needs rescuing" part has nothing to do with her personality and everything to do with Kawahara sticking her in a cage for stupid plot purposes. All in all, given her circumstances (player without privileges held hostage by the admin), she did pretty well for herself. Even when stripped and bound and rape was imminent, what she told Kirito was basically "It's alright; I will be okay." I guess that's as good as you can get with Sugou around.

When else does she need rescuing?
>Kuradeel
She saved his life first, then he saves hers.
>getting to that one boss in Mother's Rosario
7-vs-guild is pretty ridiculous, so whatever.

Otherwise, she holds up pretty well in combat and game-related aspects. Remember that Kirito is the one who is all MUH IMMERSION and wanted to retire from raiding to have a fuwa fuwa married life, while Asuna pushed him back and is overall the more dedicated "raider" and more focused on getting out.

Her ambition is totally to be a good wife, though. There's no denying that her world revolves completely around Kirito because of course it does.

>“A rocking chair!”

Is it THAT rocking chair?

you want SAO but whit carismatic and likeable characters?
youtube.com/watch?v=V6kJKxvbgZ0

You mean the one in Midgard-Aincrad where Kirito keeps falling asleep? Probably, though god knows how the chair also got transferred over from SAO to ALO.

It's not the chair they can't stop themselves from being lewd in. Sex in a rocking chair sounds dangerous, honestly.

is Asuna trying to be fucking guts? you're not guts you little shit...

(You)

You're right about everything.

you are right, Asuna has more personality

Would have been better to be just a 12-episode anime that just continued on the manga.

The Alfiem arc and GGO are pointless and shouldn't even exist.

Well, they were written almost 10 years later after the original story. So the writer had enough time to become worse.

>SAO

Or I could just watch Log Horizon.

Which game?

You guys remember when Kotaku ran that article called "SAO is the smartest anime I've seen in years"?

Good times.

I don't think they were both that recent, were they? The stories in volume 8 were of recent authorship, but I'm pretty sure the WN stories that became ALO and GGO were much, much earlier. Alicization was huge and only finished in 2012 or so after SAO began in 2002.

All the non-SAO games' problem is that it got rid of the most attractive aspect of the setting (muh deathgame) and replaced a straightforward (if tacky) romance with an endless harem.

>Can we get SAO banned here?
Or you could just not click on the threads for the shows you don't like. It's really pretty simple.

Well the romance with Asuna was actually top quality for most animes, after all we really see this in anime since neckbeards otaku can't get girlfriends and therefore can't relate to the character. Very risky move by the creator

Even worse than SAO.

>Well, they were written almost 10 years later after the original story
Untrue.
ALO and GGO were written immediately after the first arc.

The "10 years later" bit is when he got them published.
There are some differences between the Web Novel of SAO, ALO and GGO, and the Light Novel versions, but they're pretty slight, and it doesn't seem the author wanted to change things too much from his original draft.

It's silly too, cause SAO threads are pretty uncommon.

>People think SAO was the first anime that touched on isekai
Being this reddit

Also OP, I know that's bait but I stopped watching not because of the things you listed but because Kirito is an undeniable Gary Stu with 0 interesting qualities. He's a walking embodiment of "TOO SLOW" memes. The only people who liked him are just underexposed to any decent media, or liked Eragon when they were growing up.

>People think SAO was the first anime that touched on isekai

It certainly wasn't the first, but I would argue it kicked off the current trend in Light Novels and Anime.

SAO turned from meh to good if 2nd volume doesn't exist.

>Haruyuki
>Beta
This meme needs to die. He is actually talented, it's just that he is in lack of confidence because of bullying. Remember him making all kill in FPS back in primary school, the black knight avatar, and Crow vs Ash round 2?

How is Kirito edgy? I never understood that complaint. He seems like the typical nice guy protag.

He had an episode or two of brooding in the first season, then became a sun-shine and roses nice-guy for the rest of the series.
People like to focus on the fact he wears all black, like any other teenager whose favorite color is black.

Are you retarded?
-Blackrose

>Sleeping pills

At least the bad bits of SAO were funny

The theme of whether life spent online is really lived is interesting. What killing does to you was as well. Beats the absolute nothing for themes in a lot of Chinese cartoons.

> Asuna developing to a pet dog
> Timeskip
> Fishing episode
> Timeskip
> Builds the "club of abandoned kirito waifus"
> Timeskip
> Climax is literally solved by deus ex machina cheats
> Timeskip
> Villain literally doesn't have a motive, because he forgot
> Timeskip

>this

the adventure/banter/battle scenes are well executed and have good production values, and although not exceptional, are certainly enjoyable.

it's the hours of sitting in restaurants be they virtual or real world discussing plot and drama I don't give half a fuck about

What's with that greentext? Why can't you shitheads express your thoughts in a form of several coherent sentences instead of that pseudo-quoting?

L O G H O R I Z O N I S B E T T E R

>Literally a kids show
>better

He feels most comfortable wearing black and he has swords.

There's something I don't get about the plot. Okay, so it's set up so the players can't log off, and trying to remove the neuro-VR gear from them will cause it to kill them, alright. Why can't a player's friends or family just cut off the fuse for their whole house's power in the basement, simultaneously removing them from the game and depriving the neuro-VR gear (or whatever you call it) of the power needed to kill them? I mean, frying someone's brain has to take a certain amount of energy, and there's only so much the device can have stored in it.

Because the plot is a framing device not the focus.

I dislike the show but killswitches aren't exactly uncommon, especially as a plot device.

It takes a surprisingly low amount of amperage to kill a human, 100 milliamps, and a mechanism to send that through whatever connects the helmet to the brain when power is disconnected using a battery wouldn't be that hard.

>the story isn't the focus
indeed

Super brain-frying batteries. They could tolerate being unplugged for 2 hours and still fry your brain at the end of it. Japan's consumer safety protections fucked up, I guess.

Okay, so why don't they smash the helmet? It can't put any current through if the circuit's broken.

>cut off the fuse
Battery powered? Cut off the power and the NerveGear will automatically kill you after 10 minutes.
Disconnect from the internet, and it will kill you after 2 hours.
Try to remove or tamper with the NerveGear, it kills you immediately.

While it takes a certain amount of power to fry a whole brain, it doesn't take very much just to fry a few vital components that would result in inevitable death.

There are flaws with the story, but this is hardly one.

No, I hate it because it's started a shitty fucking genre that won't die for another 10 years

do you actually seek logic in retarded anime?

Any tampering with the hardware triggers the brain frying mechanism.

I guess the amount of physical trauma you'd need to break that basic mechanism would also break someone's skull. Who knows?

In any case, it's handwaved away and not meant to be thought about too much.

I dropped it episode 3 when it was obviously chunni harem shit. Honestly I never liked harems until I discovered the ones with large amounts of ecchi and nudity

Why don't they analyze one that's already gone off and find where the wire that carries the kill charge is, then cut right in that exact spot?

Because then you have to open the device, but the NerveGear already has super-sensitive sensors. Remember how calibrating the NerveGear required you to touch yourself all over and move a bit?
These kinds of sensors could also be used to detect if someone is tampering with the NerveGear, or even out-right be used as a rough-sonar.

Any wire-cutting would need to first cut into the NerveGear's case, which can be detected through the vibrations.

Of course, some of this isn't explicit. But in a lot of cases you have to assume the "super genius" already thought of that. Like he said, it's pretty much hand-waved, but it's vague enough that anything could explain why it took so long.

Maybe a bullet right through the right spot, angled not to hit the human, then? Although the point brought up in the above tripfag's name is a good one too; why DIDN'T they just EMP everyone?

>why DIDN'T they just EMP everyone?
People have brought up Faraday cages as a good example. You don't need to shield everything either; just the parts that matter.

A Faraday cage can only be so effective, thoughー nothing can be 100%. Humans are generally unaffected by EMPs, so crank the EMP up high enough and it's gotta do something.

It has less plot holes/character derailment to make MC-kun look good.

Log Horizon is just boring; its still objectively better than SAO.

>The Aincrad arc was solid.
Only literally retarded people say this. the whole show sucked outside of the premise, and pic related was the killing blow.

>>Sword Art Online started out with an interesting premise
>>The Aincrad arc was solid

No?

SAO is sill better than reddit:zero. In before fedoras bawwwwwwwww

I unironically think SAO is a 10/10.

>inb4 you've only watched 3 series
No, I've watched over 500.

So the Accel World movie turned out to be half recap, just like the first SAO "Movie"

I'm guessing Ordinal Scale is also going to be half-recap again.

Watching everything you come across is more of an indication of a lack of taste rather than a discerning one.

Well that sounds pretty disappointing.

Please explain why you think that.