What was the last anime you watched that left you genuinely surprised?

What was the last anime you watched that left you genuinely surprised?

Madoka Magica. I was surprised at how shit it was.

I watched YuruYuri because of this gif, and I thought it was going to be about some pink haired Neptune-tier asshole magical girl thing.

Boy, did it hurt.

RE:ZERO

Meant this gif

One Punch Man. I thought One Punch Man would be able to defeat anyone in one punch, but that last guy took two punches. I was shocked.

I never saw the show but I saw random pictures and that bun pull actually surprised the fuck out of me so I guess that.

Sakamoto ending, didn't expect to cry bitch tears

This makes me think you have a whole file on her user. Please tell me my thoughts are wrong.

Very wrong

Aoi Hana

I shat bricks so humongous that any subsequent bricks I may have shat went down unnoticed through my still stretched anus.

This

I expected it to be shit frankly and was pleasantly surprised. This was before it took off as hard as it did. I only ever check here a few times anymore so honestly enjoying the fuck out of it and it's my AOTS for this and the previous season.

Konosuba

Went in with 0 expectations and ended up enjoying it.

When you're about to watch an anime, always make sure that you have no expectations.

Yup. Surprised by how good it is, surprised by individual plot points.

Same desu. Was expecting SAO of the season.

What the fuck? I don't remember typing "desu". This is fucking weird...

Re:Zero the masterpiece of the millennium.

Re:Zero

I expected it to be Isekkai garbage and it somehow turned out worse than that.

Luluco

Just like your mother when she gave birth to you prematurely.

baka desu senpai

Chihayafuru.

Holy fuck was I not ready for something that good.

Death Note

I am on ep 19 and it seems to be taking the same steps as SAO.

uwu

>Imaishi
>surprised about it being so good
Please, user. Unless you were surprised about it being bad in which case go fuck yourself.

Ping Pong.

I don't think i'll ever watch anything like that again.

Guys this is a newfag right? The baits are really complex these days so it's harder to tell, but this has to be one right?

You know the next episode is gonna bee gud.

Yes, that shit is too random to be bait

Re:Zero
I was surprised at how hard the Jojofags tried to shit up the threads

they had been saying this since ep 14

There were so many very specific parallels in Ping Pong to days playing a sport in my youth. Even without those personal elements it would be a masterpiece to me. I know I am never seeing anything like that again.

As a fan of JoJo and Re:Zero who has never entered a Re:Zero thread, please explain.

Thunderbolt Fantasy. makes me want a puppet

I've been laughing at this since I saw it.

Charlotte.
Was pleasantly surprised when his annoying sister died.

Maybe Valrave or Samurai Flamenco. The sheer insanity of both were so mind boggling that I'm not sure anyone besides the writers could have foreseen where they were going with the series.

I'm only here for Re Zero, so yeah... I can't really stand any other threads on here since I dislike the big 3 and Evengayeons

This is probably the most recent genuine surprise anime has actually pulled off. I can come up with several unexpected developments (the massacre in Code Geass comes to mind) but nothing completely out of nowhere like this.

It wasn't that long ago

Kuma Miko

I mean, fucking really
That's the ending they decided to go with
Like who thought this was a good idea

Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised by that though

Re:Zero fags, everyone

I'm considering dropping this show so I don't have to be grouped with people like you.

Stay mad, fags.

You're the reason people have to false flag. Fucking idiot

>Have to

What are you, 5?

>he doesn't hide his power level

Re:Zero. For the longest time I had confused it with Aldnoah.Zero which I saw one episode of, and thought was fucking mech garbage, so finally after endless hype, I decided to check it out, and ended up watch AOTY.

How did it end again?

She got better

this

Holy shit Sup Forums really has gone to shit. Delusional normies thinking re zero is good.

Never expected the Matrix. Like how the fuck

>normies

You can stop false flagging buddy you're really bad at this.

Machi gets bullied until she's mind broken and is even more unaware of things outside of the village than when she first began. She no longer wants to go live in the city.

>Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised by that though
You really shouldn't, considering the entire show was about her crippling social anxiety and how she's making absolutely no progress with it.

How stupid do you guys have to be to not realize that this user is not the same person as this user
???
Fucking newfags everywhere.

DBS. It surprises me every time I watch it. I keep thinking it can't get worse, but then it does.

How did you expect that situation to end? People who move from rural communities to the city end up miserable as hell. It would have been a bad end either way.

I'm just trying to pass the time until my inevitable demise, nigga.

Did she stop torturing her brother with pizza sauce?

Boku Dake. You know the part

>How did you expect that situation to end?

Like the manga.

I'm more disappointed than surprised nowadays.
The last time I was surprised was when I watched Gundam Build Fighters like a month ago, and Arakawa Under the Bridge a month before that

Pretty much this. I was vehemently shitposting in the threads without watching the show. Finally gave it a shot when I was bored and was surprisingly entertained.

I think this is true with any form of entertainment. Having expectations get outright ruin something. It's better to go in and experience it firsthand instead of going off of what other people said.

Sup Forums, much like you, was shit the moment it was conceived.

>wonder what coconut head has been up to lately
>google him
>his real name is William Robert Pinkston IV
>his only other notable role was in punked
Must be tough having your life peaking on a disney show at 15

that was one of the dumbest animes ive ever seen

You fwubbed it.

One Punch Man. I was pleasantly surprised in that it told the story of an over-powered hero, without it boring me. Normally, when an anime's protagonist is the strongest (or one of) it drags by. Yet this one felt like a light hearted show that I could enjoy the shit out of and still come to respect the fighting scenes when they appeared.

>animes

Fuck off.

no, why should I?

Scratch that. Started reading Soremachi manga today and was pleasantly surprised but how much I enjoyed it.

Took you long enough to figure out how to use inspect element.

He grows to like it, I think. I don't remember much about the show besides wanting to harapan Nao.

ur obviously not a true anime fan

What the heck is an inspect element???

>What was the last anime you watched that left you genuinely surprised?
When I got hassled into finally watching SAO one of its few saving graces was the main pair actually getting together and being a couple on screen. I went in expecting balls to the walls harem shit so it was a relief they chose to cut the crap after the girl of the week episodes.

until Sugu came and ruined everything. Everyone knows you'll never get MC stop wasting our time

I wouldn't say it's the last one that surprised, but Locodol is probably the anime that surprised me the most. It's so fucking good.

Why? I remember the first time I heard the word "animes" before and it sounded so strange to me (not to imply this is the first time you've heard it). Over time I've heard it so much now through memes and plebs that it sounds more natural to me now and I don't care if it isn't the proper plural form.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry is a decent anime if you wanna see a couple on screen. It's pretty nice. Solid 6/10 to a soft 7/10. I didn't have to force myself through it.

It's kind of like saying "deers" or some shit.

I think if I heard that enough times it would start to sound natural too, I don't associate myself much with deer though.

What about "sheeps"

Not sure, that one seems tougher to get past though.

My nigga

Cowboy bebop. Pretty big disappointment

epic

For all the praise you guys sing, I think it jumped the shark pretty hard.

Thinly veiled rec thread.

D Frag!

I thought it was going to be another generic 'cute girls make videogames harem anime' and I was happily surprised that it wasn't.

Kill la Kill honestly. I expected it to be fun and good but I really wasn't expecting the complex themes, political symbolism and interesting meta narrative.

this