Are after-school clubs actually a big thing in Japan...

Are after-school clubs actually a big thing in Japan? I can't imagine any student willingly staying in school longer than they have to.

Other urls found in this thread:

artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php?title=2014_AMC_12A_Problems
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I can't imagine any student willingly staying in school longer than they have to.
Even if it means hanging out with friends and doing fun things with materials bought with school funding? Something like in Netoge no Yome, where you stay after class with your best friends and play vidya until it's time to go home, sounds fun as hell.

Speak for yourself. I was VP in my high school's math club.

A lot of Japanese schools force you to join a club.

Hence why a lot of anime characters create clubs where you literally do nothing.

Well, it's not like they have anything better to do.

Fucking nerd.

Actually in Japan it's often a requirement to join a club of some sort, and it also looks good on college applications.

Yes, it's a big thing. I mean, it's fun if you're actually interested in the club you joined.

Hey guys, look at this nerd

>I can't imagine any student willingly staying in school longer than they have to.

Some kids literally go to school after going to school and on the weekends.

Eh, It's pretty much an excuse to have a place to hang out with your friends.

Don't laugh, we would prep for math contests and do quite well.

>Hence why a lot of anime characters create clubs where you literally do nothing.

Really? I thought you just wrote kitakubu and called it a day.

As somebody who is not from a country where school clubs are the norm; how do you have to imagine a math club? Things like sports are pretty straightforward, but how does it work with math? Surely there is more to it than just a bunch of people sitting in a room and calculating.

>not staying and hanging out with your friends
Don't be so antisocial, user.

You practice doing math like this

artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php?title=2014_AMC_12A_Problems

I was in Model United Nations in high school

got to travel to schools to compete and eat free pizza, shit was SO cash

Not everyone is a shutin NEAT Otaco like you

Working yourself to death begins in fucking middle school.

>I can't imagine any student willingly staying in school longer than they have to

>Not wanting to join the art club
>Not wanting to meet some japanese qt and having instanly falling in love with her
>Not wanting not having the courage to ask for her number as you see her everyday
>Not wanting to stalk her all the time during schooltime
>Not wanting to feel like shit because you cant talk to girls

i joined a fucking art club
>free stuff

>posts on Sup Forums and finds the concept of extracurricular activities mind blowing

You went straight home to play JRPGs after school didn't you

>normalfags thread

Fuck off.

Was on the tech crew during high school.
Got to make those robots that fight in mini arenas.

Was pretty fun although it was only added during my last year which kinda sucks.

I was in the tech crew too but instead of fun stuff we ran assemblies. Although that did mean I could sit under the desk on my phone instead of listening to boring speeches.

Strategic games club for me. It was actually kind of nice at first, when it was only like five or six normal people breaking out all kinds of obscure board/card games like Senet or Tarot.

Unfortunately, the club quickly became overrun with 700-pound thirsty fedorashits who only ever wanted to play either Magic the Gathering or Warhammer and I had to quit.

Getting sexually liberated by the cartesian co-ordinate system

My school forced us to join clubs. I was in the debating club, the schoolmedics and the media club. I never really attended any of them though.

Who bijutsubu here?

My school didn't let us have clubs or sports because the staff didn't trust students to run anything and none of the teachers wanted to do anything extra because they weren't paid for it.

Fuck you Canada give me my Japanese high school club experience

>it also looks good on college applications.

But if everyone has to join a club, then what does it matter? Everyone will have a club on their app so it doesn't make you stand out anymore.

I remember there were some clubs in my HS, but you had to stay after school or some early which sucked. If you rose the bus to and from school you were pretty much fucked, since the busses came and left right at the start and end of the day. Once you could drive (iff you had a car) it became way easier to participate in clubs. But again, that only worked when you were at least a sophomore if not a junior.

Best case would be I guess carpooling with some other kids, but it doesn't always work out like that. If you live anywhere besides a big city, it's a pain to get around after the busses leave since most suburbs don't have any sort of public transportation.

I was in the going-home club in high school, clubs are only really valuable in college.

I thought you only had to do well enough on an entrance exam to get into college in Japan.

Was in Robotics Club for all 4 years of my high school club.

Probably one of the worst experiences of my life.

I remember slowly forming a mutiny at my colleges anime club, turning it into a place where we get several hundred to spend on what ever we want (lights, fans, food, etc) and applying for special funding for a 40" flat screen and actually getting it. Fuck did we turn that cringe fest into a grey market for food. We would get standard weeb food (pockey, ramen, tea) and mark up the price so far that by the end of the year, we pooled it all together and spent it on expensive alcohol.
So I guess club participation is a thing, but we never did it. Just used it as a way to make a quick dollar.

I was in a robotics club in high school. It wasn't all that fun.

>head & founder of the doctor who club
>undefeated champion for 2 years in the chess club
>fastest front crawl in the swimming club (go up at 6am to practice from 6:30-8:00 every morning for that)
>best batter in the cricket club
>fly half in the rugby team
>went too book club every thursday

who /clubeveryday/ in highschool here?

You need those extracurricular activities to get into a good college, graduate, and become a NEET

>Dr. Who
>Chess
>Cricket
>Rugby
I want British posters to leave

My high school had a Video Game club hosted by one of our fun as fuck art teachers and it was 2 hours of the most fun I had in high school every thursday.

>If you rose the bus to and from school you were pretty much fucked, since the busses came and left right at the start and end of the day.
>school bus
>high school
wait what

maybe I just wasn't paying attention in my high school but that's silly, just take the public bus at that point

Epic blogging thread LOL

All of that yet you still ended up a loser on Sup Forums like the rest of us.

What makes Robotics Club so awful? I took a class on it in HS and it was comfy as fuck.

>Hence why

Kill yourself.

Do you understand what a rural area is? Or even a suburban area?

I lived in some small suburban town for HS. There were no public buses at all. If you lived far away from school and didn't have a car, there was no way to get home unless you walked (which could be very far).

I lived in the middle of the city and there were still normal school buses, albeit they were beginning to change to public buses shortly before I graduated.

No one played sports where you're from?

3 days of hell every year during the actual competition.

I got NTR'd.

We never won any of our competitions.

Team was full of retards.

Has never helped me in life at all.

Oh and the 6 weeks of hell staying at school basically until 8PM 6 days a week.

Oh and we once stayed at school until 2 in the morning because one of our members basically fucking screwed us so hard the day before the competition.

Thanks, Chad.

In Japan they are better off in school since the parents are always "working overseas" or just mysteriously not around

>Gaming club about playing DIFFERENT games
What I wouldn't give for that. It's always one of the few popular tabletop games or, far more frequently, video games, which can vary between clubs but usually have very little variation within each.

What a turbonerd.

I was in the English Language club (obviously not an anglosphere country). We'd watch movies and series without subs and a young english teacher would make us practice conversing in english, then we'd act on plays and shit.

>Club dedicated to a single work rather than a medium
To ascertain what?