Is there a reason people like Yuasa's work besides the fact that it stands out amongst anime in terms of design...

Is there a reason people like Yuasa's work besides the fact that it stands out amongst anime in terms of design? If it were a western show then it wouldn't stick out at all in any way.

Moogy said Kaiba was one of the worst shows he ever watced

same reason the west creams over avatar

I hate you for making me google this shit.
There's a difference. With anime most shows look similar, in the west most shows look different. Yuasa shows look different, but in the west that's kind of a basic trait of animation. With Avatar it's imitating a specific style.

I like it for many legitimate reasons but also because stupid people don't understand it.

What a coincidence, I have literally just started this anime. After just one episode, I can tell that I'm going to like it and it has very little to do with artwork. I like the atmosphere, the worldbuilding, the subtle humor and the fact that there's no long exposition, it jumps straight into the action.

One of the very few competent TV anime directors.

Wait for it, the next episodes are pretty heavy with exposition.

There is very little to like in Yuasa's work in terms of scriptwriting. Characters and plot are shallow. But it's pretty, and "normalfags" dislike it, which creates its own audience.

As long as it's done well, I don't mind that much. I'll see.

>Characters and plot are shallow. But it's pretty, and "normalfags" dislike it, which creates its own audience.
Still makes it better than most anime.

It had beautiful art and a lot of heart.

>If it were a western show then it wouldn't stick out at all in any way.
Either you haven't watched any of his shows or you haven't watched any American cartoons.

The ending was shit.

I watched all of Yuasa's work even Vampiyan Kids and that game short and I've watched a shitload of american cartoons.

He could be french, Kaibe is a lot like Wackoff and Dogfu and french cartoons like that.

Kaiba is Tezuka + Ub Iwerks the series. Also Yuasa was hugely influenced by Rene Laloux.

Then why are judging his work as if the sole appeal of them is that they have different art styles than most anime? You're disregarding his abilities as a director as well the stories he chooses to work on. Or do you seriously think that modern American cartoons are on par with his work?

I don't remember any lengthy infodumps in Kaiba. Most of the exposition is done through short stories in the first half, which are probably the best part of the show.

In terms of visuals, yes.

Vanilla comments on memory chips throughout all of episode 2 even though people by default know about this stuff. Episode three has the aunt talking to herself for some reason about her relationship with Chronico. It felt forced and unnatural.

Seriously? What shows are you thinking of? I don't know of any I'd place near Yuasa's work.

>Episode three has the aunt talking to herself for some reason about her relationship with Chronico.
Oh yeah, I remember that being awkward.

Turn on cartoon network or something then.

I think it's because he always stimates vibrancy and fluidity over quality of model (or consistency in style, for that matter) in any given circumstance, correlating perfectly with his overarching message about life that he puts in his work.

That's what makes him noticeable everywhere he works in, be Space Dandy or Mind Game.

Oh god, Kaiba's third ep is like the saddest thing i've seen in a while

Visually creative with fun stories, good music, etc. Usually very satisfying to watch as well, unlike most short tv series. I'd say Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong are both among the very best 1 cour shows there are.
I don't think his work is all too similar to western cartoons, at least the ones I'm familiar with.

Episode 3 is very heavy user. I just started it too.

Because i like shows that look smart on the outside, but have symbolism thats hamfisted enough that i dont need to think to hard about it

Who watches Yuasa's work to seem smart, though?

Plenty of people, don't feign ignorance.

They are pretty well written, extremely imaginative, don't pander to otakus and for 12 episodes they are very satisfying like watching a good miniseries.

>If it were a western show then it wouldn't stick out at all in any way
I don't think so.

Is one of the legitimate reasons that you feel superior and smug about these stupid people?

It's mimicking Tezuka, you dumb nigger. And nither Kemonozume nor Ping Pong, nor even Tatami Galaxy, would fit in visually among most western stuff.

Gave me a body switch fetish desu.