This is amazing. Why isn't Annno praised for Kare Kano? I didn't even know he had directed it before I started watching

This is amazing. Why isn't Annno praised for Kare Kano? I didn't even know he had directed it before I started watching.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEb-7IoSsge8IVdE6s8R6s0yHiQrBsSJ7
youtube.com/watch?v=p6Q9gtBmZK8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

3 things:

1) The fucking elitist mangaka Masami Tsuda disliked Anno's direction

2) Anno ragequit

3) Future FLCL director took over at ep 19 onwards and made the show a complete meme

does this show have any ntr?

>Future FLCL director took over at ep 19 onwards and made the show a complete meme
This made me drop it

Its the only show I ever dropped just because of the quality.
Not even Anno can do much with a 10円 budget.

Wait. So the anime has a shitty ending? Fuck. Still watching it though, I'm accustomed to Japan not being able to make proper endings.

You can tell there were problems at about the 15 mark. They do two recaps back to back if I recall, and then the rest is slapped together as best as it could be.

I wish they would complete the story at some point. I never read the manga, but it seemed promising.

It doesn't really have a bad ending so much as no ending.

Fuck off, his episodes are great. Especially when you know it's a middle finger to the author.

Why do you think they burned the cels?

>burned the cells

oh my fucking goodness that is so based

It's seriously one of my favorite moments in any show ever.

It's the only Gainax anime (of the old Gainax, pre-2000 anyway) that I haven't watched fully.

I only watched up to the middle of the series I guess, but that was many many years ago.

I really liked it in the beginning but it fell on its face near the end, plot- and directing-wise. Haven't read the manga, just skimmed, but it looked really your average shoujoish and I've heard it's pretty bad. It's sad, really, as especially in the first episodes the directing was great.

I really miss the "feel" and style of this era Gainax. There's something about it that makes me feel strongly nostalgic for some reason.

It's a 10/10 until episode 19. Everything after that is a complete mess with a couple of neat idea's found few and far between.

>middle finger to the author.
More like a middle finger to the viewers

Was there a reason for the middle finger to the author?
A reason enough for the biggest drop in quality I have ever seen?

>Masami Tsuda disliked Anno's direction
Why? The anime was a pretty accurate adaption of the manga.
It's a shame they burned the cels though, the character designs in the anime was very good. What a waste.

Tsuda didn't like the show and Anno quit.

If how (some of) the later episodes were animated was a result of no budget, I'd rather never no budget.

I like the paper dolls, photographic characters, and manga style frames.

Rather have*

That's a difference between "we have no budget and no one cares so all the background characters will look goofy in stills" and people making something greater because of the limitations.

Probably Tsuda wanted the D and Anno said "ew no you're old and ugly".

According to Wikipedia she wanted more romance. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes.

>According to Wikipedia she wanted more romance.

Anno was pretty much a depressed sperglord during this phase of his life, even if he was commercially successful. I'm amazed KareKano was as flowery and shoujo as it was.

I think it's really good in those aspects. Some of the boyfriend's introspection was more heavy handed than, say, similar scenes in Eva, but it all works.

>wanted more romance
Well then that's not his fault then, the anime had the same level of romance as the manga. I can't even image how it could even get more romantic without cutting out the comedy and other good parts.

The second half ruined what was otherwise a decent show. Manga is fucking horrible down the line so I'm glad they didn't continue adapting it.

So when's Trigger doing their own shoujo manga adaptation that will be on par with Kare Kano?

Shitty story aside, the director of Kiznaiver was onto something

I kind of dislike Anno. Not because meme Eva, but because he is such a big shitter on otaku-culture and hikky troube, despite having the outlook that people that exist outside the social outcast have no right to criticize.

I don't simply understand why he nominates himself to the position where he supposedly understand the despair of neets when he's had a stable job, family and is probably rolling in money. Hypocrisy at most.

Nihei should do the shoujo he wants to do with Imaishi.

Not really. Everything you're reading on the subject is second or third hand information.

He's defended and criticized aspects of it. There's nothing to be defensive about.

>10/10 anime adaptation
>Author shits on the anime hardcore
>Director quits. Budget cut.
> New director takes over to wrap up. No money. LOL WHAT DO NOW.
>Mangaka keeps shitting on anime.
>...
>Best episodes in anime history get created.
>Author continues the manga, he makes an U turn and it becomes an edgelord overeggaxerated dramafest..

>doubting the saviour of anime
Have you seen youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEb-7IoSsge8IVdE6s8R6s0yHiQrBsSJ7 ? They're all made possible because of this pristine chinese cartoonist.

You're too new, to the board and to the medium. Lurk more and keep reading more. Check your sources and use your brain.

Did they burn the cels to stick it up the author?

Is liking Anno a thing now?

Author sounds like A shit if anno was being faithful to the source material.

This reminds me of how the anime for Fruits Basket went to shit and became way shorter than the manga. Although the manga is way better than the anime and another reason why he anime was short was because the mangaka was hospitalized for a long time and shit. The director said he would never work on another season of Fruits Basket. Why is it always like that with shojo manga that aren't magical girls stories nowadays? You could have a manga with 50 volumes, yet it would be a miracle if it had an anime adaptation with more than 26 episodes at this point.

You can still see a distinct Anno touch in it even when the subject matter is so romance.
>All those soliloquies

>Nihei + Imaishi shoujo adaptation
what

Exactly.

Also telephone poles

Kare Kano is great, one of my favorite anime.

The last episodes are very underrated. It stops being a 10/10 masterpiece of all time, but it remains good enough. It isn't any worse than the average shoujo romance like Sukitte Ii na yo or Ao Haru Ride.

And if it's true that the manga goes edgy grimdark, maybe it's okay that it ended when it did. I don't want to watch Arima become evil.

Fun fact, the manga panel scenes and the papercut animation episodes were directed/animated by Hiroyuki Imaishi. I'd go as far as saying that most of the comedic stuff was heavily handled by Imaishi.

Karekano really makes me wonder what a more down-to-earth, slice of life-ish series by him would be like.

Imaishi's strong point is his storyboarding. Using the manga panels is right up his alley.

One of my favorite shows of all time. Last three episodes are criminally underrated.

Feels like they don't want to risk much on it so they just go for the typical marketing adaptation that ends in a "go read the manga for the rest of the story" if it has many volumes.

The shorter/finished shoujo usually don't get adapted unless it's really popular stuff like Orange.
The fact that the're very rarely more than one shoujo adaptation each season also means they're limiting themselves on what they pick and if they consider the hype for a particular manga over, they probably won't attempt anything with it.

I'll give you the last episode, but 24 and 25 are easily the worst episodes of the entire series.

Wasn't it that Imaishi hardly ever manages to stick to a storyboard unless it's his own

I LOVE THIS SERIES
THANK YOU

That and episode previews consisting of VA's having fun. The whole series just gives this comfy feel, too bad the author didn't like it.

The first half of 24 might be one of my most favorite parts in the whole series, user.
True, it just turning into a recap for the next half is almost intolerable. However, I forgive it for how euphoric, cathartic, and GAINAX it is at the end of the first half.
Arima's scene that is straight out of Evangelion, and Yukino's revelation about how their relationship will most certainly not last forever, but she's thankful for how they influenced each other's lives are KEY moments in their characterization and the narrative.
It's good shit.

Also episode 25 has insanely good OVA quality animation and direction, man. Plus, best girls get their own episode.
>but filler
It's a fucking more than solid episode.

Sagashimono wa nan desu ka?

cozy ED
youtube.com/watch?v=p6Q9gtBmZK8

>cels
found one

yay high school before cell phones

Well yeah, he's one of the greatest anime directors of all time.

The manga wasn't even any good. After it dove head-first into the "Arima Arc" it stopped being the innovative inversion og shoujo romance and ended up being nothing but melodramatic codswallop.

I fucking WISH Anno got to do something decent with it.

So… I should watch this up til ep 13 then stop, right guys?

Anno nails the ending every time, in his weird fucking haphazard way. It's a shame.

19. The opening credits were amended before they'd aired all of Anno's episodes.

>Why? The anime was a pretty accurate adaption of the manga.
As someone who started reading the manga before watching the anime, not really. The anime was much more wacky. They feel like different beasts, tone wise.

>According to Wikipedia she wanted more romance.

Considering her idea of "more romance" resulted in edgelord melodrama that shit all over the tone of the early parts of the manga, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Anno, despite his sperging, was right.

Fuck him

Because of that hack we'll never get a nice bluray remaster of this series. And it's a shame cause it had such a nice palette and everything

>Sukitte Ii na yo or Ao Haru Ride.
Don't compare Sukitte with Ao Haru Ride, come on.
Ao Haru Ride is an average shoujo that at least pleases the audiences. Sukitte is a total shitfest. Easily my worst experience with the genre.

Watch the whole thing

It's weird the author disliked the adaptation when most of the time the original authors know what is going on with the anime adaptations of their work before it begins airing. I bet there was a big miscomunication between the author and the studio but Anno didn't give a fuck about that.

In Gainax's case it always turns out for the better, though. Eva's final two episodes, for example.

The only time it didn't was the island arc.

Kare Kano is fucking garbage man, how the fuck do you watch it?

I figured it's intended for the female audience at some point, but either way, it's shit.

>Eva
Eva is not an adaptation. Manga came a few months earlier to promote the incoming anime series, this is done quite often.

Anno did a romantic comedy.
Tsuda was doing a dramatic romance.

If you watch the anime and then continue reading the manga, you'll think WTF what's up with the change and ditch it out like I did. It went from a deep yet enjoyable high school romance and way-to-adulthood story to some edgy-wtf family struggles. That was the mangaka dilemma. The anime did a bad job at introducing people to the rest of the manga.

The manga becomes edgeshit.

Oh, no, not to imply it was, I just mean all their productions in general. Even the Rebuilds.

I like Gainax.

I honestly think the show resulted in what's probably the greatest romance anime, all things still considered. The fact that there's so much more to it contextually and just inside the show only makes it better.

>The manga becomes edgeshit.
I have read the manga, it didn't. I became dark in the second half when Soichiro's backstory became the main focus of the plot but that's because of his traumas, it still managed to have funny moments with other characters and at the end of the day everything turns out right for everyone.

I agree Sukitte Ii na yo is very awful. To be honest I only seen half of Ao Haru Ride. But they are comparable as in that they are not top tier like most of Kare Kano and Kimi ni Todoke. They are both a tier below. But perhaps Ao Haru Ride is one tier below, and Sukite Ii na yo is two.

Eva ending was only redeeming factor of the series, Karekano ending is just kind of shit. It's understandable, but still shit.

The manga really falls apart after the point the anime ended.

I don't recommend it

It's not even that it's bad, it doesn't even exist.

>you can see the tracks that they're recording it from in the classroom

Never noticed that before

I thought Ao Haru Ride was one the most boring shoujo I've seen, or at least the romance parts were. I actually liked Sukitte, probably because it felt like it could have been a josei in certain parts.

It didn't it just shift the tone in Shoichiro's mom arc.

literally the best directed anime of all time

not really, no

Because he ran out of money half way through, and the last half turned to shit. Plus it's an adaptation, not an original work, so directors tend to little credit but all of the blame.

Episodes 1-18 are a perfect rom-com, but were clearly running out of room to do new stuff with the couple. The new director being brought in, and episide 19-26 being largely episodic and focusing on other characters kinda breathed new life into the show. It made for a unique experience, anyway. I don't mind that the show didn't have an ending, endings are usually disappointing anyway, especially when just tacked onto an adaptation of a still running manga. I prefer the "and their lives continued" style. Overall, it was one's of the most satisfying and interesting shows I've ever seen.

It's fine to have an ending that doesn't tie up every plot thread, but the ending of Kare Kano comes at the beginning of a developing one. Like many other anons have said, it's basically not an ending at all, that's just the point at which they stopped making the show.

A brief investigation into KareKano DVDs returned the result : "Jesus Christ how horrifying"

I remember it being a gold mine of reaction images

So in other words, GAAAAINAAAAAAX

Guy gets really edgy because of issues with his shitty dad. Stabs his hand with a kitchen knife edgy. Forces sex on yukino in the library. I forget a lot of details but I think this was the first step to healing cause yukino wanted him to know it was ok to let go of his perfect guy mask or something.

Shit happens, they get married. Guy becomes a detective out of nowhere cause he hides detective movies in his room or something.

I loved it. When I originally watched it, I stalled due to computer issues and losing data. I got stuck around the time they were beginning to get friendly with that short girl, so I lived the next 13 years with it in my backlog, always naively ignorant that the show would not only fall short as an incomplete adaption, but also completely messed even for an original anime ending. It was like "what if Evangelion was only about the school life and the characters' life?". Ended up watching is last year, and followed along with the manga where the episodes started to diverge a lot. Really liked it.

You've also got to consider that all anime has far higher production values these days. Digitialisation has of course made making good looking animation easier, but it still isn't easy. And now we've made a market where anything that looks like the webm in would be shat on for being QUALITY and looking "terrible", despite that actually being an acceptable level of quality for TV animation in the 90s and looking fine. I know Kare Kano wasn't the best example to use there, since it actually is only 26 episodes, but you get the point. When every episode is expected to look great with tons of frames being used for every little movement, less episodes can get made.

Oh yeah. Guys best friend who totally wanted his dick but couldn't because yukino is shooting their daughter in the prologue.

>Guy gets really edgy because of issues with his shitty dad.
It was his shtty mom, he got along with his dad.

shooting for their daughter*

He also did the manga panel style scenes for FLCL, if I remember correctly, as well as directing episode 5 of it. Which explains why ep 5 is the ep with the most references, creative action scenes, and batshit crazy moments.

>prologue.
You mean epilogue.

>yukino is shooting their daughter
Before the correction you made I was kind of worried just how edgy the manga went

He is not a monk motherfucker. He is a Chinese cartoon director. You shouldn't criticize him for finally achieving something in life. He is not preaching for otaku to stay miserable forever so there's no disconnect between his work and his personal life.

I don't fucking remember. It's been 10+ years.

Imaishi was closely involved with all of FLCL's production. He storyboarded for all the episodes and is credited as "Animation Director" on all of them as well.