SSY thread

>10/10 world building
>10/10 story telling
>10/10 music
>10/10 art

Now we all can agree that this is the GOAT anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VIiX4TL2_vg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just cause you call it 10/10 doesn't make it so

Why do people insist on falseflagging so hard just to make this show hated?

i liked it when the boys kissed

6.5/10 overall

Good show with great story, but the directing was subpar and thus wasn't able to present the story and characters in the best way.

Two boys kissed so it makes Sup Forums uncomfortable

You'll get a lot of hate from people that stopped watching immediately when the gay shit happened.

I had a graet timer watching it when it aired, was super excited for every new episode. Good story, good pacing, interesting characters and worldbuilding, all-round 9/10. It's one of them few animu I actually recommend to people.

>Shinsekai Yori 2012 Fall 606 0 606 ¥38.7

It got slight pacing issues and the timeskips also hurt the story a lot. There isn't that much to the character's either.

Even with all it's faults, I really liked it

Japs got shit taste, everybody knows that

Because they don't like it and therefore it upsets them that others like it. People false flag good/well-liked shows. It's nothing new.

Going back over the anime that have aired so far in this decade, I actually think is the best one yet. Few other shows actually come close.

It's no means perfect, but its a good story with a decent message, and great art and proper horror to boot - also actually a full 26 episodes.

Definitely what I would recommend to people.

Like top 20 maybe but I wouldn't expect it to chart after the decade's done.

>10/10 art
You need to be more subtle with your b8/falseflaging threads

>Going back over the anime that have aired so far in this decade, I actually think is the best one yet. Few other shows actually come close.
You either need to watch more shows or get better taste.

>10/10 story telling
I gave up when it spent an episode infodumping rather than storytelling.

The characters were pretty bland, and the only ones I could put names to faces for were the girls, because colour-coded hair.

Charts are just overrated lowest-common-demoninator trash usually, though.

>You either need to watch more shows or get better taste.
I'm interested, name a few.

At least 2 Yuasa's works from the last decade are above SSY.

It should have been cut down to 12 episodes. Any part where they are not interacting with the rats drags to holy hell.

It's not better than Penguindrum but honestly, nothing is.

Alright, I'll take that one.

>2/10 characters

You would think but there is literally nothing else that really compares to the greats of the last decade in the last 6 years, it's almost embarrassing. I can think of this and Space Dandy.

We haven't had anything to compare to Noein, Eureka Seven, Samurai Champloo, Gurren Lagann, Last Exile, Seirei no Moribito, Mushishi, Darker Than Black, Baccano etc. etc. even more entry-level stuff like FMA and Code Geass, or the more obscure titles like Ghost Hound, Real Drive, Michiko to Hatchin or Kaiba.

Everything is 1-cour LN adaptations, and whilst I can't complain that this is just the industry adapting, there have been way less amazing adaptations or original products as a result. It seems a large majority of the talent are sticking to movies too, which makes sense.

This was fine in 2012 but 4 years on and there's nothing really to show for it. Alot of the good stuff of the 00s was in the latter half so I suppose there's a chance there could be another small golden age where a bunch of great shows all get pushed out barely seasons apart.

Subjectively, which a judgement of entertainment always is, it does.

>10/10 story telling
>10/10 art

>Everything is 1-cour LN adaptations,
Actually there are only like ~5 LN adaptations out of 50 anime in a season. Surprising I know. And just to let you know most of the titles you listed aren't really making a strong case for your argument.

>garbage pacing throughout
>garbage characters with zero personality that do little more than serve as plot devices
I love how Shinsekai is still premium bait all these years after it came out, it's essentially the Ergo Proxy of the 10s

Agree with this pretty much desu.

>Posting Oreimo image instead
I hope that just merely reaction image, user.

Why because they aren't Lucky Star?

That's usually what the arguments boils down to

>your list is shit because it doesn't include

I'd assume because they're generic popular names.

The art of the anime was terrible, read the manga instead.
Now that was some good shit.

what else? because it sounded like there were a lot.

>read the manga instead.
Wasn't it based on a novel?

Yes, but there is a manga, which really ought be titled Shinsekai Yuri

Finished my rewatch of it yesterday, still a great series. People saying the directing is "average" really need to watch more anime, there's nothing average about SSY really. Also, complaining about pacing is the plebbiest of criticism, don't blame the anime for your ADHD

>People saying the directing is "average" really need to watch more anime
>if you watch more shit it will make SSY meh direction look good

Most of the titles you included aren't as good as you think they are. Sure you have a handful of classics while rest of them are just above average but forgettable and generally not a worthwhile watch.

There isn't that many shows I'd defend as being clearly better than SSY but there is quite a few shows on about the same level as SSY.

>Sup Forumsmblr having shit taste
Color me surprised.

as long as it's not silly juvenile stuff like kill la kill I'm all ears.

Cheater. It's based on book. It's not original, so it can't be 10/10. And there is a big gap in the middle.
Also I don't like their faggot threesome love to that guy who went to live alone. Everything else is pretty nice.

I tried to watch it last year.
I dunno, I didn't really understand what was going on or why they were doing things, and it felt like they kept killing off characters for no apparent reason, so I didn't know who to care about when they did things or if they doing things was just gonna end up with a mysterious death next episode.
I didn't get very far to be honest though.

Judging anime based on the "maturity" of its premise is a shallow, insecure thing. Not saying Kill la Kill is good but there's absolutely no reason to believe a show like LOGH is better than something like Panty and Stocking or Dead Leaves because the latter are more juvenile and cartoony. In most cases, the latter type of shows tend to make greater use of the medium.

It's obviously easier to make a show that's juvenile than a serious show just as it's easier to write a children's book.

That's why I'm not interested in the former. If I want to watch something purposefuly dumb I'll find something easily. Not so easy to find enjoyable stuff in the latter so it's much more interesting to discuss that.

>just as it's easier to write a children's book.
Writing a good children's book is actually more difficult than writing to an adult audience. It's writing stuff aimed at late adolescents that's easy, because all semblance of taste has usually been eradicated by then.

The mystery surrounding everything that appeared in the first half and a little bit into the second is what I liked the most.

DID NOTHING WRONG

But really, 9.5/10 show.

The false minoshiro infodump in episode 3 was so fucking lazy, I'm still bothered by the fact that they actually thought this is a good idea.

Even if it happens that way in the novel it's still a bad way to do some setting exposition

Baseless assumption that goes against common sense which would really benefit from arguments.

Children have no taste, they love shit like zack and cody.

But then it turns into "why am I watching it"?
The story I saw was just, "oh here's some weird shit. The mc chick is wondering what's happening, but what's actually happening? Lol I dunno! Here's more unexplained shit.", causing me to not care because there's nothing to care about, it's just unexplained.They didn't seem to tell a story, they just threw a bunch of ideas and moved on.

Yeah, they should have found a book. That'd be so much better...

Because false minoshiros don't exist in the real world and books do!

You just are mad that all best anime in the last decade have no cute grilss and are not full of fan-service.

This is one of the shows that gives you hope in the medium.

Everything is explained eventually.

I guess I'll return it to my backlog, but it better not be some "lol it's magic that's why" bullshit.

What are you even talking about? I enjoyed SSY, that doesn't mean I have to like every single aspect about it.

But then again I'm probably getting baited because I'm replying to someone who uses exclamation marks and ellipses on Sup Forums.

Your argument is equally as baseless. "Common sense" is not a reasonable basis for an argument.

It's undeniably the best the medium has put out in a long time along with 2 or 3 more anime. Don't be dumb, watch it.

I'm tired of this stupid meme argument.

Go look every thread on ssy and the same argument comes up yet it makes no sense.

What would you have preferred?

It's not even just common sense, it's plain logic. If you want to go against it then you have to provide an argument.

Children gobble up anything.

At any rate, It's obviously easier to write lolsorandumb plots like klk and ttgl than something cohesive like ssy.

humans r bad, baby's first dystopia. would have been better if it focused on how the world got to be the way it was and not the adventures of me and my autism gang plus one rat man. it did in some ways but overall it wasn't very interesting. the whole telekinesis thing sucked

I could care less about it being the "best the medium has to put out in a long time", I watch anime to enjoy it.

Provide examples of anime serious in tone from the last 6 years that are not Yuasa's and that explore their themes in a more intrincate way, then. We are in an anime board after all.

Everyone gobbles up shit. Children, adults, teenagers. People of all ages lack taste. I see no significant evidence to suggest that children are significantly more tastless than adults. Adult tastes are certainly more developed (in the sense that adults can understand and identify what and why they like the things do better than children), but that doesn't mean their tastes are necessarily better.

Also, TTGL and KLK both have something coherent to say, and in the case of TTGL its expressly explained what is being said at many points. You would simply have to have been ignoring it in order to miss it.

Pure Fun amirite? XD

TTGL was pretty great rite bro?

No, it wasn't it was mindnumbingly boring.

And so are most of your "enjoyable" anime.

Fanbase is cancer because you can't draw any legitimate criticism on their perfect show without them writing you off as not being manly enough to enjoy two boys kissing. It doesn't matter if you bring up the stupid characters, the QUALITY animation, or the edgy pessimistic plot. Nope, you're just a homophobe if you don't like this 10/10 show.

Military motivational level message do not count man.

You know both were on the so called "pure fun" category.

Which in my opinion is the boring as shit empty husks of shows category. With shitty art direction but good budgets.

i agree.
but it can't be helped; just wait patiently for the stars to align once again.
(usually when a studio hits some important anniversary, they try to do something more "grand". Shin Sekai Yori IIRC happened exactly because of this: it was 10 year anniversary or something of the studio).

Well first, ttgl is great, you're just shitposting.
Second, things don't need to be mindnumbing to be boring, they don't need to be mindnumbbing to be enjoyable either.
You're acting like one of those "better than thou" teenagers who only listen to classical music, thinking their tastes matter in the slightest.

>Sup Forumsshitters are on Sup Forums now
enjoy your stay

2199 is my only entry into the series and I loved it but I'm a person that is skeptical of sequels and reboots, albeit usually with big budget Hollywood stuff

tl;dr I don't know how much more lore there is for this series to be honest and sequels for the sake of a sequel bother me especially when the first leaves off on a good note

But like I said I don't know much about yamato besides 2199

>le objectively superior taste super serious anime connoisseur man

Haha!

Oh wow I didn't read correctly thought it said SBY thread

Not really, I just can't believe people are so stupid as to like ttgl and klk.

I'm also fucking tired of meme shows like OPM and JOJO even though I enjoyed the first two seasons of the later like a 5/10 show to kill time with.

I mean, I'm a junky just like everyone who watches lots of shitty shows but trying to pass up ttgl, klk or fma:b as GREAT SHOWS is stupid as fuck.

Exploring themes isn't my sole basis of enjoying a show. SSY might as well be the best ever in how it handles its themes. I don't care for arguing. I'll list shows I liked and you'll dismiss them because you don't like it as much as SSY.

>I just can't believe people are so stupid as to like ttgl
Maybe if you weren't such a newfag and you were on Sup Forums when it was airing, it might be easier for you understand how much Sup Forums loved TTGL. It was gar as fuck.

>and that explore their themes in a more intrincate way
SSY is a young reader's novel. I don't understand why SSYfags try to act like this is laureate deserving piece of literature.

you couldn't have just wrote those shows off as just not being your thing though, you're going out of your way to assert that those types of shows are objectively bad with the only thing backing that statement up being that they didn't hold your interest or they are "memes".

Don't be surprised if people call you out on your shitty attitude.

overrated shit

Is it like 5 years too late to be attempting something like this anyway?

I can understand not liking klk, it's more of a fotm show, but if you didn't like it while it was airing you're just shitting on it to appear contrarian.
And ttgl is a great anime.

>Military motivational level message do not count man.
Why? Why can't a motivational message be a legitimate theme for a piece of media?

>With shitty art direction but good budgets.
Both TTGL and KLK have fantasic art direction and neither had a particularly large budget.

It's not like Kumamiko make any profit after the last episode.

TTGL has plenty of depth and is all around a more solid package than SSY with it's infodumps, weak pacing, bland plot device characters and meh directing.

youtube.com/watch?v=VIiX4TL2_vg

Try not to be so pic related.

No decade really has "greats" during itself. It's only in the following decade when people begin to look back and sort through all the shows that aired that a consensus on what the "greats" were is formed. Cowboy Bebop, Serial Experiments Lain, Utena, etc etc weren't appreciated in their time and only came to be recognisedd in the 2000s, when people could look back and see how much they shone above everything else in their time. Hell, Evangelion, one of, if not THE most popular anime of all time didn't even attract much viewership on its initial airing. It had to be rebroadcast in a different time slot before people even started watching it, never mind praising it.

Tons of people watched Eva in it's original timeslot as well. It just did really well in the late night block as well, which was pretty much unprecedented.

>Everything is 1-cour LN adaptations
You realize that SSY is just a 2-cour LN adapation, right?

The manly anime meme is bro tier though.

But that was what you were criticizing in ssy.

I mean, guys, ssy was too preachy, kind of obvious with the "good guys are not so good" stuff and slavery was abolished a long time ago so the overall message is not really revolutionary but it is the best the medium has given us in a long while and some of you talk about it as if it is comparable with shit shows that got a lot more hyped around here.

>Why? Why can't a motivational message be a legitimate theme for a piece of media?

Because next thing you know we'll be discussing 9gag motivational "memes" and tv ads. Which are pretty much ttgl tier.

>Both TTGL and KLK have fantasic art direction and neither had a particularly large budget.

>bikini armors, the show
>fucking NIA

Watch pic related for good art direction.
I don't want to sound like a "wrong generation" retard, because I listen almost exclusively to contemporary music and I think cinema is at its best in this age but anime hasn't had good art direction in a long time.

You are the meme here with your pure fun shit and your MANime. You are the cancer of Sup Forums.
Get out of here with your meme anime.

Also you pretty much exposed yourself as a retard by saying that there is any depth on ttgl.
Most people who liked ttgl know the show has barely anything to say.

You know an anime is a masterpiece when you like it even though you hate the characters.

You have got to be baiting. I'm not even going to break down how wrong you are because you clearly lack any understanding of what you're talking about. Your essential "argument" is that things like TTGL and KLK are "memes" and that the only things that can be good in any way have to be serious, dark, and brooding. You are saying nothing of any value.

Besides, most explosition in gurren lagan was shit, so.

A single false minoshiro (which I didn't have any problems with) is nothing.

It's obviously harder to write cohesive shit than to write fanservice and manime user.
If you can't acknowledge that simple fact then you're so far detached from the creative process that no discussion is possible.
And also you are irredeemable.

I criticized SSY in that regard because it had nothing else going for it. 2 nice tracks and that's all. poor art, inconsistent direction, unlikable cast, and more. you said it's the best the anime in a long while but it's not btw. Just this year's Rakugo is a better anime. also, your post is cancer

it is absolutely as you say: a young's reader novel.
still, it is good, and moreover leagues above the "feel-good babyfood" that most of the other animes offer.

It's a 10/10 anime. That doesn't mean that there won't ever be anything better than it.

>fanservice
They killed off the proper main character for the whiney bitch.
Then they killed off the love interest because why the fuck not.
Then they tossed away the main character because "fuck you".
If that's fanservice, I don't wanna know what you think cohesion is.

I agree with this post.
Some of you talk about lazy exposition in ssy and then go out of your way to say gurren lagann is a good show for fucks sake.

you have to be fucking kidding me.
now you are going to say that when they killed the twin brothers you cried.
the only right thing that show did was killing kamina. and then it let all of that go to waste.

Yet you could never explain why this is the case because you actually have no experience at all in this regard. Any time you assert anything you say it at if it's a bygone conclusion that what you say is correct and fail to provide any reasoning.

>LN
its based off a novel not a LN
big difference

There was also a 40 minute argumentative essay on why TTGL is good but that won't confirm your bias so you better ignore it.

I don't remember who the twin brothers are, but I probably did cry.
I'm an emotional bitch, just throw some sad tunes down and the waterworks pour.
>go to waste
Not at all.

no, they confirm yours...
Ive watched that shit youtube video.

Samurai Flamenco
im not joking

When youre talking about a young reader novel, there is hardly much difference. Maybe it is a little bit longer and there are not a couple of random illustrations thrown into it. But just because it is a novel doesn't automatically make it a highbrow form of literature.