Bump Stock Ban Retroactively Criminalizes Possession of Legally Acquired Products

>The proposed ban on bump stocks not only applies to a wide, vague range of firearm accessories, as Christian Britschgi noted this morning. It also criminalizes mere possession of those accessories, making owners subject to fines and up to five years in prison, even if they acquired the newly prohibited items before the ban was enacted.

>In that respect the bill, introduced by Reps. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.) and Seth Moulton (D-Mass.), differs from, say, the expired federal ban on so-called assault weapons, which did "not apply to the possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of the enactment of this subsection." State "assault weapon" bans likewise allow continued possession of the targeted firearms, as long as owners register them with the government. Curbelo and Moulton's bill, by contrast, says "this section and the amendments made by this section shall apply with respect to conduct engaged in after the 90-day period that begins with the date of the enactment of this Act." That means continued possession after that point would be a federal felony.

>The criminal penalties are especially problematic given the uncertain scope of the bill, which bans "any part or combination of parts that is designed and functions to increase the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but does not convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun." That definition pretty clearly covers the products made by companies such as Slide Fire Solutions and Bump Fire Systems, which harness recoil energy to help shooters fire without flexing their trigger fingers. But it might also reach other, less controversial products that can help people fire a gun more quickly, not to mention do-it-yourself solutions that are impossible to regulate but might make tinkerers vulnerable to prosecution.

archive.is/0WdCE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iqzS9b1Msyk
youtube.com/watch?v=sCLoIorYguU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why arent people fighting this more? Nows not the time to bend over.

I honestly have no issue with this. As long as they issue some sort of 6 month extension to get rid of them.

I don't think these things are that common, so most people don't care. Using one of these things is like putting those ridiculous tailpipes on a Japanese car to make it louder; you're just viewed as a dick head for having it. I understand this gets around the one trigger pull / one bullet fired law, but it violates the spirit of that law. I've seen a video of a guy using a rubber band to create the same effect so I don't know where this is going to go.

>6 month extension
Good idea, some sort of grace period.

It will be in legislation for at least a year before it even comes up for a vote, just like everything else.

Most people don't give a shit.

Bump firing is possible without any extra equipment at all: youtube.com/watch?v=iqzS9b1Msyk

>all the t_d cucks willingly giving up their god given rights to guns
disgusting

This only means that law abiding citizens will not be able to own them. Criminals don't give a fuck about the law. Why don't people understand this. I wanna have a bump stock handy just in case. I'd never ruin a good rifle with a bump stock but why the fuck would I wanna be out gunned by criminals. Go fuck yourself

just machine yourself a full auto sear

>The proposed...
Stopped right there. Proposed means its a year or two out and by the time it comes to a vote itll quietly get shot down 75-25 because nobody will give a shit

Bump stocks don't increase your firing power. It's a ban for banning's sake.

"god given"
fuck man lol

I used to do this with my sks. It works really good if you let it hang from your shoulder on it's sling
Directions where?

Fucking disgusting

In the United States, Congress is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 3 of Article I, Section 9 of the United States Constitution. The states are prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 1 of Article I, Section 10.

SCOTUS will shoot this down as soon as it is voted on.

>Bump firing is possible without any extra equipment at all

Yeah, I've seen that before, but it was usually from the hip. The rubber band method allowed you to look through the sights/scope. Regardless of method, it seemed extremely inaccurate.

>but it violates the spirit of that law
You can fuck right off my dude. The entirety of US firearms law is built on bullshit technicalities, vague wording, and dubious interpretations. If someone wants to pull the "spirit of the law" argument out of their fucking ass then we can go and revisit 80 years of firearms case law starting with the NFA which as it would happen totally violates the spirit of the law of the second amendment making all this nonsense about a novelty product moot.

that clause is metaphorical, not literal.
you obviously aren't a constitutional scholar.

NRA supported this. Any of you card carrying members of the NRA, you are all cucks. I told you to join GOA but you didn't, you called me a shill, you said GOA has no power, you had to cuck out to big government lobbies. You deserve it you fucking morons.

Cuck

youtube.com/watch?v=sCLoIorYguU

ex post facto law is unconstitutional

Good thing I lost all my guns and gold in a tragic boating accident. Those darn Ancap Somali pirates, man...

I already sent my congressman a letter telling him to oppose any bans and and angry message to the nra. what else can I do?

Here's the text of that section:

>"No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."

>Attainder
>attainder n. The loss of all civil rights by a person sentenced for a serious crime. [< OFr. attaindre, to convict] Source: AHD
>In the context of the Constitution, a Bill of Attainder is meant to mean a bill that has a negative effect on a single person or group

>Ex post facto
>ex post facto adj. Formulated, enacted, or operating retroactively. [Med Lat., from what is done afterwards] Source: AHD.

Nice try, faggot.

Is that why automatic weapons prior to bans are legal and continue existing? You dont know what constitutional scholar even means you fruity bitch

good one user!

Absolutely disgusting. John Adams said citizens could own cannons for fucks sake.

Bump fire from the shoulder without any modifications is actually very easy. Just takes a little practice

I doubt you could kill 58 people in 10 mins with a civil war era cannon. I'm fine with cannons user

I doubt it'll pass. Dude, if 20 something children dying by an autistic weirdo, a sand nigger killing 50 faggots in a fag club where they were training to molest children, and countless other shootings can't muster any real gun control, this won't either.

Just send your e-mails and phone calls to your congress critter to make some noise and make it just die on the vine like it has before.

what does that have to do with anything?

weapons, without limit, are a human right, and more specifically an american right. all americans have the god given right to weaponry. period. that means automatic weapons too.

if you disagree, you should be burned alive while being crucified.

Slide fire stocks are like glow in the dark novelty condoms, they're fun to play with but incredibly not practicle in real life. Nothing is really lost.

>it seemed extremely inaccurate.

> accuracy
> hundreds of rounds a minute

something similar happened to me. steve jobs opened a portal and took all my stuff back to hell with him. now I have nothing

Most people I know are beginning to not give a fuck what's legal or not. They'll just not bring it to the range, which doesn't allow them anyway.

Make sure to call your congressmen.

I'm still going to bumpfire without a bumpfire stock.

>I doubt you could kill 58 people in 10 mins with a civil war era cannon
By firing it into a dense crowd? Easily could.

Grape shot

I don't think the goal of most people is to fire into a crowd of people, killing indiscriminately. Machine guns are in use in the military, but infantry is taught "one shot, one kill" and modern rifles generally only have burst fire instead of full auto. Semiautomatic is usually what's used.

That's not how ex post facto works.They can't make something that was legal when you did it, illegal after the fact. Anything you do in after the law is passed, including continuing to own a bump stock, is not an ex post facto law.

again with the "god given" bullshit

Grapeshot exists.

And they wonder why we hate them.

grape shot

this

>Article I Section 9 Clause 3: No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto law shall be passed.
What's this shit?

Had over your bumps goy! Only your trustworthy government is qualified to have those.