How much value do you put into visual direction?

How much value do you put into visual direction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QR7yWdimmC4
youtube.com/watch?v=wLd8KPp7TB8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if a show is complete fucking garbage but the directing is god-tier, i'd probably still watch it
monogatari has a story that is passable at worst and pretty alright at best and it's still a 9/10 for me just for the directing

Storytelling > Story

monogatari is about characters not story

desu characters are the story

and that's what i mean by the "at best" part

A lot. Show like Kiznaiver last season for example, I honestly enjoyed it and thought it's good, even if the plot and the overall message is weak and kinda retarded by the end.

Shaft's directing is just gimmicks/one trick pony.
Nothing good about it.

I greatly enjoy art and animation in a show, even when the writing can be utter trash.

A plot will be nice eventually, though.

>one trick pony
Elaborate on this.
If you go compare Kizu and Bake then you will realize they're different in their directions, and not just because one looks darker/edgier.

More like Kinomonogatari

Looks boring as fuck.

Gimmicks can be quite good and enjoyable.
I don't think they are a one trick pony though.

Script > Screenplay >Storytelling > Writing > Story

youtube.com/watch?v=QR7yWdimmC4

A little, not 1/10th as much as story.

Anime may be a visual medium, but you can't polish a turd just with great direction and art.

SEE: every kyoani anime

Fuck off

SHAFT is so pretentious, I can't stand them.

fuck off already

But screenplay is a part of storytelling, the script is a part of the story and also way to move the story forward a.k.a storytelling.
What even is "writing"?

It's in almost equal stand to storytelling.

You can polish a turd though.

This, to be honest

Me? I am not an anime director. What are yopu talking about?

This is literally you

Has anyone ever explained the aesthetic of SZS? It works really well but I still don't really get how did it work so well, because it shares themes with the comedy?

Just another way to say "style over substance."

It's definitely important. Proper visual aid and directing can completely change the feeling and meaning of a scene

>Close up of an object is good cinematography
>Close up of an face is good cinematography

>style isn't substance by itself
Also, it's not just about style either.
Why are we even talk about screenplay and cinematography like they are 2 separable aspects in anime or movies?

You're using the term wrong. Cinematography has to do mostly with the work of a director of photography, which is technical.

this

I don't see what random and contextless screenshots have to do with visual direction.

None. I'm blind.

How much value do you put into shrooms n honey?

Everything. Visual language and direction can stand on its own. "A picture is worth a thousand words", etc.

Let's be real for a second and admit that Re:Zero has the best direction in any animated TV show since 2014.

This.

Good direction can make trash plots good, and great plots can be made into shit with poor direction.

There's nothing special about it.

You just don't have an eye for these things, I guess.

What? You think you know better?
DigiBro has good knowledge of cinematography & storytelling and makes video analyses.

And you?

I watched the movie and, even with context, those shots don't have any meaning other than looking cool. Some try to do something and fall flat, like the bottom left screenshot where Araragi is like 20 feet behind Shinobu, this usually implies emotional distance, but in that scene that wasn't really a thing. The one of Araragi going down the escalator does give a sense of impatience and nervousness because of how long the way down looks, so that's a good one. The shot of Araragi slouching in his chair should express apathy, but aside from his facial expression, the composition of the image doesn't show that. Showing blank space in front of a person makes them feel open and approachable, while having blank space behind their backs makes them feel closed, distant.

The rest of the shots don't really convey much meaning with their composition, they just look good. The one with the blood splattered on the wall could have some meaning like how Araragi is overwhelmed by the excessive amount of blood or whatever, or it could just be showing that something really violent must have happened there, it's too ambiguous to know for sure.

I'm an actual DP

I guess I missed something: the shot of Kiss Shot crying on the floor does have blank space in front of her, in a scene that was supposed to make you feel bad for her and make her look vulnerable, so that's another good one.

What was your favorite shot in the movie?

I think the sequence of him following the blood path in the subway was pretty cool. The escalator shot I talked about and the SOS morse code screens were very nice. For some reason I also really liked the shot of Shinobu swinging her legs at 50:45. I also love pic related, I like how the chairs make a pattern across the screen and then it ends with Shinobu sitting in the last chair. If there had been another chair to the right of Shinobu, it wouldn't have stood out to me so much.

That doesn't excuse posting internet celebrity videos on Sup Forums.

>DigiBro has good knowledge of cinematography & storytelling and makes video analyses.

He literally has ZERO background on anything creative. Any aspect of film.

He just spouts shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=wLd8KPp7TB8

You're wrong.

I don't get it.

This. Nothing about it stands out in that sense, either good or bad.

I'll never take anyone who can't pronounce shows' or characters' names properly seriously. This includes probably 98% of Americans

Stop talking about this memelord; like literally all e celebs it's all about either popular opinions or pretentiousness just to get that sweet sub money; not to mention his fellow /mlp/hucks spamming his shit here; at least the mods delete that now

That's why I almost always come here, there's no incentive here other than being proven right. Heh

How about when the name is in English and the Elevens themselves butcher it?

The thing is in Japanese, there only exists a very limited amount of sounds that exist in their entire language. If they want to say an English word or name, the best they can do is find the closest approximation of available sounds. In English, there is no inherent constraint like that, besides maybe the difficulty of saying a Japanese r/l

I used to think this faggot had a halfway respectable opinion about visuals. He wasn't exactly good, at his best he was a wannabe EFAP, but he at least made an attempt at it.

Then he started praising Kabaneri's visuals and jacking off to Mumei, and any respect I might had went out the window.

MUMEI A SHIT

Mumei is hot though.

ぴゅあキノ

Fuck you Sup Forums

I like the colors.

Who doesn't jack off to Mumei?

People with taste.

I don't understand MAL. How is an oscar nominated Ghibli work like Kaguya only like the 1300th most popular anime?

Because it's shit?
Also refrain from bad posts like this in the future, please and thanks.

Because MAL is trash. Also MAL =/= West's taste in anime.

Samefag
Kill yourself.

Autism

Says the shit taste samefag.
No rebuttal? Thought so.

>you're a samefag too!
Calm your autism.

He's right though, Mumei is the hottest character in years.

I was tricked into watching Video Girl Ai by someone that posted this image. I'm actually glad I did, it was generic 90s romcom in every way, all condensed into 6 episodes. I haven't felt as nostalgic as I did while watching it in years.
Guess it's time to watch Ai City now. Thanks Sup Forums.

Ha yes I remember that show it was n-... ZZZZzzzzz

Not even the hottest in his show.

Visual direction just means that "This cartoon that full of one-note characters, cliches, simplistic themes, which was aimed at pathetic Japanese teenagers and manchildren to buy toys, has more value because the backgrounds are flashy"

Well it can save a show, just look at kizumonogatari.

are you hurt user
show me where the bad director touched you

do the japs have a pedowood equivalent?
not just people drawing it, but their very own specific jews(or whatever takes their place in japland) raping child actors?

What are your favorite anime in terms of pure script and writing then?

here's your reply

Dumbing some charts. Starting with Angel's Egg.

Casshern Sins I

You got anything that's not pretentious drivel?

This looks terrible.

Casshern Sins II

Casshern Sins III

Dragon's Heaven

End of Evangelion I

I like the top left.

End of Evangelion II