Why did Vikings have 'Allah' embroidered into funeral clothes?

Researchers in Sweden have found Arabic characters woven into burial costumes from Viking boat graves. The discovery raises new questions about the influence of Islam in Scandinavia, writes journalist Tharik Hussain.

They were kept in storage for more than 100 years, dismissed as typical examples of Viking Age funeral clothes.

But a new investigation into the garments - found in 9th and 10th Century graves - has thrown up groundbreaking insights into contact between the Viking and Muslim worlds.

Patterns woven with silk and silver thread have been found to spell the words "Allah" and "Ali".

The breakthrough was made by textile archaeologist Annika Larsson of Uppsala University while re-examining the remnants of burial costumes from male and female boat and chamber graves originally excavated in Birka and Gamla Uppsala in Sweden in the late 19th and mid-20th centuries.

She became interested in the forgotten fragments after realising the material had come from central Asia, Persia and China.

Larsson says the tiny geometric designs - no more than 1.5cm (0.6in) high - resembled nothing she had come across in Scandinavia before.

"I couldn't quite make sense of them and then I remembered where I had seen similar designs - in Spain, on Moorish textiles."

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_ibn_Fadlan
danielpipes.org/blog/2005/09/finding-allah-in-unlikely-places
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>this thread again

Larsson then realised she was not looking at Viking patterns at all but ancient Arabic Kufic script.

There were two words that kept recurring. One of them she identified with the help of an Iranian colleague. It was the name "Ali" - the fourth caliph of Islam.

But the word next to Ali was more difficult to decipher.

To unlock the puzzle, she enlarged the letters and examined them from all angles, including from behind.

"I suddenly saw that the word 'Allah' [God] had been written in mirrored lettering," she says.

Larsson has so far found the names on at least 10 of the nearly 100 pieces she is working through, and they always appear together.

The new find now raises fascinating questions about the grave's occupants.

"The possibility that some of those in the graves were Muslim cannot be completely ruled out," she says.

"We know from other Viking tomb excavations that DNA analysis has shown some of the people buried in them originated from places like Persia, where Islam was very dominant.

"However, it is more likely these findings show that Viking age burial customs were influenced by Islamic ideas such as eternal life in paradise after death."

vikings traveled all over the northern hemisphere and people are shocked they took fabric back with them that was no doubt better then anything they could produce ?

not to mention they had an ongoing slave trade with them.

They traded with muslims - is it that hard?
It's like asking why I have chinese letters at home ....

Same reason that had gods, lions and elephants sewn in. Showing off who they killed to get to Valhalla

This isn't news. The Vikings ranged across Europe, Russia, the Mediteranean and Middle East. They were the greatest navigators of their time. They served as mercenaries to the Byzantine Emperors.

Gold Dinars were the international currency and are routinely found in Viking burials from that period. It's hardly surprising they would bring back textiles as well.

I imagine op is trying to make the point that Sweden has a islamic history based on the fact stuff from the mid easts been found there
thats just my take .Therefore them being replaced in their homelands is totally cool dude .

the vikings traveled far dude, they even reached Greece

DELETE DIS

>Viking works as bodyguard in Miklagard (Byzantium)
>Bring back clothes he used there when working
>AHMAGAHD ISLAM HAS A HISTORY IN SWEDEN

Yeah, fuck all this shit including that fucking ring. That's the only connection Islam has to Scandinavia of old. Vikings worked as bodyguards there.

OK, so either the vikings traded with other groups or some Swedish birch is trying to rewrite history to help fucking over her own people.

See Vikings were working as bodyguards down there.

Same reasons Russkies had svastikas and Reich's eagles on industrial equipment and machinery.

Its a trophy you retard.
Aka the prize you win for whooping other people's ass.

>When the Byzantine Emperor died, the Varangians had the unique right of running to the imperial treasury and taking as much gold and as many gems as they could carry, a procedure known in Old Norse as polutasvarf ("palace pillaging")
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

You haven't read Fomenko and Nosovsky...

Because it was nice shit they bought, and Arabic writing looks like nonsense scribbling.

mashallah this warms my heart

Warms your heart that you're ignorant in history as well? You guys should start translating books to your language soon, you might get a bit of perspective that way.

>media reports on this as if it’s a major breakthrough

There are tens of thousands of Arabic coins in the Viking world. Funny enough, some had runes scratched over the inscriptions or the inscriptions just scratched over.

But que the establishment pretending that this means Swedish Vikings were Muslims, or that this is evidence that nonwhites were always in Sweden, and then que our local christcucks using this as evidence that Vikings converted to Islam en mass.

>WE WUZ NOT MUSLIM
lamoing at your worthless life

vikangs travelled as far as Baghdad, it's most likely shit they plundered

WE

A sad thing to see.
Why dont guys fucking riot yet?

Chochols have overthrown their government for like three times in 10 years and you're not a brutal police state either.

This. This so fucking much. Byzantium spoils. End of story.

Jews and Christians being revisionists, nothing new.

lmaoing*

> a fucking leaf

>"The possibility that some of those in the graves were Muslim cannot be completely ruled out,"
I fucking hate these people it's called trading,

THEY WUZ KOONS

It's called the Varangian Guard, a fucking standing regiment of crazy ass motherfucking vikings who guarded the emperor of Byzantium.

Hell is for ever!

Has no one watched the Antonio Banderas film The Thirteenth Warrior? It wasn't a far-fetched enough concept for some film makers in 1999 to have a Muslim end up in Viking lands.

Jewish fabrication to further their agenda. Just like the Black Sea Scrolls and a bunch of other crap.

Not really, but there's never been any DNA tests to show that to be the case.

swedes are actshually gods

There were Muslims at Birka though, it was a trading port where they received visitors and sold slaves and metalwork.

>Slave trades
>Hired Mercenaries
WE WUZ ISLAM

>we wuz vikangz

They probably had no idea of what it meant and simply thought it was pretty. Vikings traded with the muslim world and most likely got the idea from there. It does not prove Vikings converted to Islam, but rather prove there were trade between the Middle east and Scandinavia

A Buddha statue has also been found in a viking grave, a lot of coins from Christian England etc. All of these findings only imply vikings had contact with certain areas in the world. With that said ideas did spread and stick around, hence Scandis eventually became Christian among other things.

Christianity makes more sense considering the distance between them and the Muslim world, the only scenario where Scandis were to convert to Islam(in my mind) would be the few that decided to settle in the Middle east or some sort of Sup Forums joke in regards to our current situation here in Sweden

probably for the same reason howaitto piggu get kanji tattoos

>if i mirror it this piece of geometrical pattern almost looks like sand people writing
this is beyond pathetic
it doesn't look anything like the word 'allah', not even when mirrored
betting my left nut it was his bull that came up with the idea
mudslimes thing the fucking coca cola logo is reverse arabic script

One of the best sources of Viking life comes from an Arab Muslim by the name of Ahmad ibn Fadlan where he wrote down his experiences after traveling around in northern Europe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_ibn_Fadlan

>replying to meme flag with valid information

Zulus used similar tactics to Romans, were Romans actually kangz an shieeeet?

Actually not quite as Christian imagery is rife with Saints being dressed in silk embroiled with lines from Q'uran but nobody is claiming medieval Europe was Islamic.

They dont. Next

What is international trade?

why would he wear islamic clothes while working as a bodyguard in christian lands?

it wouldn't be implausible to find middle eastern artifacts in a viking grave but this isn't it
it only resembles the word allah as much as any random chicken scratch with three vertical lines does

it's the other way around
the vertical line on the side isn't supposed to be connected to the middle ones, if this was mirrored arabic script, it'd read 'LLL', not 'ALL'
the last bit that looks like a mirrored 6 does not resemble any arabic character, certainly not an 'h'

the resemblance is so superfluous i find it doubtful there's any connection, not even on the
>i saw this weird symbol once ten years ago so i'll tell my wife to poorly copy it on the piece of fabric she's weaving
level

I know little of the history during that time, but do you base your argument on modern Arabic scripture or Kufic writing?

The most plausible scenario to me is that some people were in the Middle East and got inspired when making their own designs, which would mean a lot of mistakes would happen if they were to emulate writing based on memory alone

>> Researchers in Sweden.
Stopped reading right there. Like, what possible motive could Sweden have conflating Islam and Viking heritage?
Place should be fucking glassed.

nope. they were also in the bodyguard of the andalusian caliph, and some raided the south shore of the caspian sea. I recall a minuscule Buddha statue found in Hedeby, which must have arrived there from even farther east. I guess the only question remaining now is whether vikings were theravadin or some mahayana heretics.

The shit they brought with them would eventually wear out, wouldn't it? Not to mention that typical wool clothes made up here would get rather hot.

the question is and has been: how do you get islamic garments from byzantium? got it?
islamic vs. byzantium. remember it was you who claimed this.

Take a look at shit neighbouring Byzantium/Constantinople, keep in mind that Varangians were allowed to plunder the fucking treasury if the emperor died.

Trade was a big thing at the time. Remember that Viking tribes usually raided the Mediterranean coasts because they were much richer than the poor shitholes of the atlantic.
Archeologists found roman gold, weapons and wares even in China, that doesn't mean that the chinese had a direct diplomatic relation with the Roman Empire.
Swedish retards are gerrymandering history in order to validate their retarded multiculturalism.

>Only just now discovering they said muslim words for god

LMAO they're THIS desperate to make muslims /ourguys/

Normans conquered Sicily in 1062, chasing arabs and byzantines away.
There were plenty of ways of plundering moorish clothes.

and that's a more likely source than plundering the caspian shore or serving in andalusia because ...?

Revisionism at it's finest. It's fun because lately in swedistan it's been "found this arabic artifact here, this one there blabla". They we're fucking plunderers of Europe and beyond, no shit they'd have contraband. People are so dumb it hurts

Its Sam Al Hayeed's ancestors.

the fuck are you talking about

History is hard if all you learn is the koran and intersectional feminism.
Norway is not far behind, I weep for Scandinavia.

Why would that raise any questions? Civilizations traded back in past. Here, picture related is Slovenian mummy, does that means WE WUZ EGIPT KANGZ?

There have been outright calls for looking specifically at "foreign influences" in Swedish history. They are biased as fuck. Of course, the fact that we know that they traded with the arab world back then would be explanation enough. To go so far as to assume the actual religion of the wearer completely affirms their current bias.

Just google translating this:

>In the find from the boat graves, there have been found unusually well-preserved remains of colorful silk fabric, which the chiefs had been buried in. The fabric is from the Sogdiana area east of the Caspian Sea, but also from China. [3]

Btw those boat graves are from the Vendel Period (550-799).

We wuz Chinese!

what he just said. That jews and Christians are the same shit. Both middle eastern and both weird death cults who rewrite history to fit their narrative.
are you a christcuck?

Kek

naturally this makes sense

but the scholar in charge of this is a muslim, and the idea of an arab-scandav connection serves the ((agenda)) of globalism, rooting it in history

the idea that these vikings could be muslims themselves is hilarious, as is the scholar's conjecture that viking burials might have actually been INFORMED BY islam

w0w watch this danish faggot (redundant) absolutely DESTROY KKKhristianity

Lol look at all the cucks panicking cause vikings and muslims have been in each others lands trading and probably fucking and shit. NO! VIKINGS ARE PURE! A VIKING WOULD NEVER BE A MUZZIE! Chill out. Maybe take a couple deep breathes or something.

whatever the vikings was, they came from the east.

look at the picture, have you seen any viking whit a saber before? that is a weapon know in the east

Because they traded with Muslims. There are English coins of Anglo-Saxon kings who were very much Christian which have the shahada embossed on them. The King had the coin restamped in his image, none of them would have known the arabic meaning though just as the vikings. They just see them as nice trinkets.

i'm basing it on arabic paleography in general
ever since the arabic alphabet existed as such, those rules were present
even in syriac or nabatean, you don't connect an aleph with a lomadh
and then there's the fact that it has to be mirrored first to make it resemble arabic
it's just too much of a stretch to me

>muslim vikings

It all adds up now.

Can't tell if trolling or not anymore so I'll just post the actual weapons they used.

The Vikings pilfered that shit from the Moors. Vikings weren't Muslims just thieves and plunderers.

>and the idea of an arab-scandav connection serves the ((agenda)) of globalism
What they're trying to prove is that there were muslim Vikings, so Scandinavia is rightful islamic territory and it's not an invasion but a rightful reconquest.

Hello Annika Larsson of Uppsala University, how's the multiculturalism working today?

>picture related Danish Vikings, a picture from 12th century when they invaded England

I'm Swedish

I should buy a wall decoration with chinese writing. 500 years later my descendents will lay claim to the entire land of china, citing that my family was once the royalty there

Yeah, that'll work

Thousands of years of raping goats and inseminating their 12 year old cousins has left sand niggers thinking that every fucking squiggly line is holy.

danielpipes.org/blog/2005/09/finding-allah-in-unlikely-places

Here's a Buddha statue from the Viking Age found in what is today Stockholm.

I guess we have to become Buddhists now.

>why did a culture known for going overseas and raiding their shit have an artifact from a foreign culture?

Gee I don't f know OP it is a mystery.

put there by modern day swede cucks to falsify their own history

They go real far these days to destroy history and change it.

>why do notorious raiders and traders have things from other cultures?
It is a mystery.

yeah they must have converted and allowed mass immigration in a period of hardships.

based dane knows buddha better than semitic nonsense

then stop posting with my flag Svensker

t. Danskjävel

I have just two questions...
>How old are those costumes?
and
>When did Muhammed live?

Can't, my other proxies are banned for racism

ok then

>if we just take this and mirror it and turn it this and that way we can make it look a bit like the word we want to make it look like

Vikings often went to the middle east to trade the stuff they raided on the way down.
They brought home a lot of muslim stuff but they didn't pray to allah.
If they ever did they would be shunned or even killed by the rest of their comunity.
Vikings were nearly always burried with some of their wealth, that means some muslim stuff they brought back from their trips to the middle east.

muslims are fucking crazy about their version of finding jesus' visage on their morning toast