Why did anime turn from an awesome dark dystopia in the 80s-90s into this magical candy loli fetished utopia of now?

Why did anime turn from an awesome dark dystopia in the 80s-90s into this magical candy loli fetished utopia of now?

It isn't exciting or interesting. It's as basic and boring as american reality tv.

The movie Akira was released in 1988, along other works such as Esper Mami, Urusei Yatsura, Kimagure Orange Road and Hiatari Ryōkō! .

Man I remember all the dark stuff like Sailor Moon, Kickers, Kimba. So edgy.

> awesome dark dystopia
Because you're a newfag who didn't actually watch anime in the 80s and only knows about OVAs.

>Kimba
Caesar dying in the first episode was pretty dark when I was a kid.

>It wasn't the majority so it didn't exist at all
You moeshit apologists are really retarded.

My point wasn't that there wasn't cute anime back then. My point was that there actually was dark gritty anime back then alongside the cute. Even the dark material that is released today is mediocre compared to what was considered dark back then.

I like how people want to shoo away how gay and childish anime has become. It's a fucking husk of its former self. A place where those scared by reality can snuggle up to their vibrant colors and cuddly characters.

What's the point you're trying to make?
Works with darker themes have always been in the minority.
It was so then, and it is so now.
Nothing have "changed".

They don't exist now.

Did you watch fafner exodus? No? Then fuck off.

I highly doubt you have watched more than 5 shows from the '80s.

It only seems like that because you've only watched the good stuff from that period.
If you went back and watched all the shit that got released back then, the amount for shitty titles wouldn't be that much different from what it is now (That is if you could actually find the shitty works that no one bothers to upload).

They made a ton of shit back then and they make a ton of shit now.
Back then once in awhile something worthwhile would come along, just as it is today.
Again, nothing has changed. You're just getting exposed more of the shit from today.

>There is good anime being released today
Nope

the simplest example to me is Gits.

I'm not just talking about the amount of blood from then and now. If you look at how philosophy in gits has changed over time you can see a steady decline in deep thought and questioning how society is dealing with the problems of today. That is just one of many examples of how anime has become more childish over time.

>good anime

>shows
TV anime is shit and for children. We are talking about OVAs and movies, the stuff that isn't made anymore.

Be honest with me, are you 15 years old?

actually animation was harder to do back then so to say they threw out as much trash as they do today would be wrong. And as usual someones only example of how anime is still good is to show visual effects.

So anime is still good now because it has basically become a michael bay movie

no, are you? i don't think a 15 yo would be as ashamed of how bad anime has become.

That's just the natural decline of a particular IP being exploited. Like Alien.

That's really about something else.
Most long-running franchises lose touch with their original thematic.
Agan, GitS is one of 5 % of actual good titles. I know that when you think of 80s anime movies you think of Akira, Grave of the Firefly, Nausica and so one, but try to wrap your head around the fact that most movies released weren't as good as those. Everytime you get a GiTs you get 5 Hana no Ko Lunlun or shit like that.

People never bring up all the shitty titles that got released.

What's the difference between 15 shitty movies a year and 35 shitty movies a year?
It's still a whole heap of shitty movies.

There's more of everything to today. The point is that the average quality of anime hasn't changed that much, no matter what people might think.

I'm not sure what your point is about the visuals. I certainly hope you aren't thinking that pointless visuals were invented in the 21st century or something.

Gits
Evangelion
patlabor
akira
kite
mezzo forte
serial expirements lain
cyber city oedo 808
ninja scrolls

no, but visuals were used to help explain the story, not to be the story

1989 anime :

Gunbuster
War in the Pocket
Riding Bean
Gall Force
Five Star Stories
Ranma 1/2
Idol Densetu Eriko
Neo Tokyo / Manie Manie
Blue Sonnet
Patlabor movie
Patlabor ova
Laughing Salesman
A-ko
Assemble Insert
Aoki Honoo
Yawara
Cyguard
Kasei Kakyoku
City Hunter
LoGH
Crusher Joe
Venus Wars
Utsunomiko
Hoshi Neko Fullhouse
Toki-iro Kaima
Youma
Youtouden
Ariel Visual
High Speed Jecy
Kiki's Delivery Service
Lemnear
Makaryuudo
Umi no Yami, Tsuki no Kage
Angel Cop
Shitty manime ovas (Baoh/Shuten Douji/Miroku/etc)
SD Gundam

If you think 2016 is anywhere near that sort of quality you have brain damage.

source on second column second row, please.

the only thing i have heard from people who disagree that anime sucks now is to say that there has always been bad anime.

There has always been bad everything but the past decades have had many more great titles than recently. if you want to discount other eras as golden eras by throwing out titles we all agree are some of the best anime ever created be my guest. but you only look stupid for doing that.

Japan's economy.

Otaku and changing demographics.

>the only thing i have heard from people who disagree that anime sucks now is to say that there has always been bad anime.
The only thing I have heard from people who agree that anime sucks now is to say that thy are too retarded to actually look for things they like.

it's not easy when there is nothing

Shows is a generalization, and he's right, you didn't watch anything from the 80s so quit acting like you did.

Depressing Show era ended.

There was always a slight taste of moe in older shows, and those are some of my favorite parts of certain Gundam series, the broads on the bridge in Macross, the list goes on and on.

Dragonball finished. In a rush to fill the void, we got inferior sucessors like GT, Naruto, Blech and one piece. This drove many old battle shounen fans away. Reacting to this exodus came the rise of moeshit which totally flipped the board and destroyed the industry.

>We are talking about OVAs and movies
So you don't like anime, good to know.

Unfortunately, your power level is too fucking high and no one's going to be able to tell whether your list is good or not because 99% of Sup Forums hasn't seen more than a third of those.

Is the Akira manga worth reading?

>your
>implying
He pasted that from this

It's the "hey kid wanna /ss/" anime

There's dark dystopian fantasies now that aren't the majority too then, you faglord.

How fucking new are you? A good portion of those shows are still talked about today. Honestly I'm fucking surprised it has SD Gundam on there instead of something like SDF or Giant Gorg.

>good portion
Yeah, about half, and very few anons have seen every single anime that gets talked about semi-frequently. I stand by my estimation of a third.

Remove general faggots and that number jumps by 20%.

user, I've seen 550 anime but less than ten of those ones, and I don't even recognize a solid dozen of them.

are we being raided

Because they were exceptions, not the rule. You would know this if you didn't only watch Akira like the Sup Forumstard you are, the 80s-90s were dominated by literal kid's anime.

The only thing I wish there was more of was beautiful women with facial features/noses. Pic related, please do not bully.

I'm not a fan of the no nose, side mouth thing. Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with the content of today's anime. Some gems, mostly shit. Just like any other year.

What were the first big three?

One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto, you retard. That's what the term refers to, specifically.

That's also the case with modern anime, you cunt.

If you don't recognize at least a dozen of those, your power level isn't as high as you think it is. The number of anime you've seen is irrelevant. You should at least recognize them, if not actually seen them.

christ 89 was a good year.

>Why did anime turn from an awesome dark dystopia in the 80s-90s into this magical candy loli fetished utopia of now?
Because the "awesome dark dystopia" is now.

DEEPEST LORE

> If you don't recognize at least a dozen of those
I meant that the other way - there are a dozen that I don't recognize.

So what you're saying is, it used all be samey and boring, and now it's still samey and boring but in a different way? But it's only bad now?

Did you even look at what you wrote?

>Dystopia
>only in 80s-90s
What is Ergo Proxy, Kaiba, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kino's Journey, Texhnolyze, Gilgamesh?

when you stopped watching OVAs, The peak of Japanese animation

It's all worthless trash compared to the quality stuff we used to get in the 80s-90s. I can tell just by looking at the art style for that garbage.

>retard from Sup Forums thinks that every anime before the year 2000 was DARK AND GRITTY
Do you know why people only parrot a dozen or so "manime"? It's because that's all there fucking was.

You could literally make this argument with manga and it would make sense, because there's always been a lot more violent, mature manga than anime.

Because cyberpunk died with the influx of modern digital technology and the anime industry makes its money of off autists and virgins who're constantly trying to escape from reality. They don't want dark and depressing shit.

>Gilgamesh
Why did you fucking remind me?

Not that user but Texhnolyze, Kaiba and Kino's Journey are legitimately good.

Rest are trash for underage though.